On Now
Coming Up
  • Tue., Nov. 12, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Tue., Nov. 12, 2013 11:45AM - 12:25PM CST Live Jason Garrett Press Conference Jason Garrett speaks to the media during his daily press conference LIVE from Valley Ranch.
  • Tue., Nov. 12, 2013 1:00PM - 2:00PM CST Live Talkin' Cowboys

Join Mickey, Bryan, and Rowan as they breakdown all of the latest Cowboys news.

• Wed., Nov. 13, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Wed., Nov. 13, 2013 1:00PM - 2:00PM CST Live Talkin' Cowboys

• Thu., Nov. 14, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Thu., Nov. 14, 2013 4:45PM - 5:20PM CST Live On Air With DC Star Magazine Join Josh Ellis and Jeff Sullivan for an in-depth look into Dallas Cowboys Star Magazine.
  • Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 10:15AM - 10:40AM CST Live Jason Garrett Press Conference Jason Garrett speaks to the media LIVE from Valley Ranch.
  • Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 2:30PM - 3:30PM CST Live Fantasy Friday Join Rowan Kavner and Ed Cahill as they talk Fantasy Football.
  • Tue., Nov. 19, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Tue., Nov. 19, 2013 11:45AM - 12:25PM CST Live Jason Garrett Press Conference Jason Garrett speaks to the media during his daily press conference LIVE from Valley Ranch.
  • Tue., Nov. 19, 2013 1:00PM - 2:00PM CST Live Talkin' Cowboys

• Wed., Nov. 20, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.

Photo

It's only weird if it doesn't work

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 AllSaddleNoHorse (PC)

AllSaddleNoHorse (PC)

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,887 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

Another season of mediocrity in the standings and missed playoffs.

Probably safe to call the Cowboys current vision, system, plan, and direction - WEIRD.

Maybe continuity has a dark ugly side that prevents the Cowboys from progressing and getting better.

pjbz9K4.jpg

You can't even be paper champions when you are cowboys that are all saddle and no horse.

#2 America's Cowboy

America's Cowboy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,208 posts
  • LocationSouthern Tip of Texas

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

There was a recent news report down here around Corpus Christi how a disgruntled Cowboys fan burned down a house or business or some public building right after the loss at Washington DC. I'm surprised no one has gone after Jerry (no pun intended) or his businesses. Fans are tired already.

GO COWBOYS!!!!!

498f9285-1bef-4906-8b68-7e8c1e23e63d_zps

#3 diehardblues

diehardblues

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,119 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

There was a recent news report down here around Corpus Christi how a disgruntled Cowboys fan burned down a house or business or some public building right after the loss at Washington DC. I'm surprised no one has gone after Jerry (no pun intended) or his businesses. Fans are tired already.

He still lives on the laurels of his 3 rings. Without his early success he certainly would have been run out of town.Jerry is the best salesman the NFL has ever seen while being one of the worst GM's. He sells crap better than anyone I've ever seen.

What's amazing in this down era is the record revenue which indirectly supports Jerry which again supports his salesmanship. I actually give Romo most of the credit though in keeping the Cowboys with some relevance when we otherwise would totally suk and why I think Jerry sticks with Romo. He sells unlike any other player on a non championship team.

Many fans still believe in Romo although some of the same ones see he's not enough to go farther. And oppossing fans still enjoy watching us fail as 4 out of the top 6 games watched this year on TV involved the Cowboys again.

It's almost like we are the idiots on American Idol who fans enjoy watching as much as the real talent.

hHQfeZD.jpg

It's Greg. I changed my screen name.

#4 cowboysfan1237

cowboysfan1237

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

Its only a game, Its not worth prison time, to burn down a building or even going after Jerry Jones. Granted, If Jones was in charge of a Soccer team overseas some were, with all the looneys they call fans, I would have no ideal how Jones would walk out of that alive lol. Its a game, yeah We all wanted the cowboys to make the playoffs, and I was hurt when we failed short again. But there are more important things in life than burning down buildings over a game.

#5 cowboysfan1237

cowboysfan1237

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

He still lives on the laurels of his 3 rings. Without his early success he certainly would have been run out of town.Jerry is the best salesman the NFL has ever seen while being one of the worst GM's. He sells crap better than anyone I've ever seen.

What's amazing in this down era is the record revenue which indirectly supports Jerry which again supports his salesmanship. I actually give Romo most of the credit though in keeping the Cowboys with some relevance when we otherwise would totally suk and why I think Jerry sticks with Romo. He sells unlike any other player on a non championship team.

Many fans still believe in Romo although some of the same ones see he's not enough to go farther. And oppossing fans still enjoy watching us fail as 4 out of the top 6 games watched this year on TV involved the Cowboys again.

It's almost like we are the idiots on American Idol who fans enjoy watching as much as the real talent.

Romo does keep the cowboys in games, He also makes some mistakes that cost the cowboys games also. But with out Romo, I think we are a 5 win team at best imo.

#6 diehardblues

diehardblues

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 18,119 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Its only a game, Its not worth prison time, to burn down a building or even going after Jerry Jones. Granted, If Jones was in charge of a Soccer team overseas some were, with all the looneys they call fans, I would have no ideal how Jones would walk out of that alive lol. Its a game, yeah We all wanted the cowboys to make the playoffs, and I was hurt when we failed short again. But there are more important things in life than burning down buildings over a game.

I agree. I would never endorse criminal activity especially since natural causes are becoming more likely as time passes:)

hHQfeZD.jpg

#7 diehardblues

diehardblues

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 18,119 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

Romo does keep the cowboys in games, He also makes some mistakes that cost the cowboys games also. But with out Romo, I think we are a 5 win team at best imo.

Agreed. For the sake of argument though has Romo prevented the Cowboys from building a better team with lower draft picks though?

If we were a 4-12 team for example would be in better shape to rebuild since having Romo hasn't elevated us higher anyway.

IMO Romo has elevated us to medorocity which could be argued has slowed our rebuilding process thinking we are one or two player away or closer than we really are.

Something to ponder...

hHQfeZD.jpg

#8 cowboyscrzygal

cowboyscrzygal

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,081 posts
  • LocationKaty, Texas

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

And those fans are CRAZY! So what if fans are tired. Then quit watching the team, seek help, get a life because they seriously have issues. Disgusting.

"Don't stop believin'...." ~ Journey

#9 daboyzruleperiod

daboyzruleperiod

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,816 posts
  • LocationPenn State Campus

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Another season of mediocrity in the standings and missed playoffs.

Probably safe to call the Cowboys current vision, system, plan, and direction - WEIRD.

Maybe continuity has a dark ugly side that prevents the Cowboys from progressing and getting better.

You've been watching too many commercials with THAT title. :P

Shake it off.♫....Shake it off...♫.1236264565_another-treadmill-fail.gif

#10 cowboysfan1237

cowboysfan1237

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Agreed. For the sake of argument though has Romo prevented the Cowboys from building a better team with lower draft picks though?

If we were a 4-12 team for example would be in better shape to rebuild since having Romo hasn't elevated us higher anyway.

IMO Romo has elevated us to medorocity which could be argued has slowed our rebuilding process thinking we are one or two player away or closer than we really are.

Something to ponder...

The goal is to win. I dont expect Romo just to lay down for a season or 2. Yes perhaps we might be better, but I have no faith after the last 12 years once Aikman, Smith and Irvin retire, for the office to pick good drafts. Its pretty much been one flop after other with a few gems here or there.

Gems are Witten, Romo, Ware, Dez, Austin and a few others.

#11 diehardblues

diehardblues

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 18,119 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

The goal is to win. I dont expect Romo just to lay down for a season or 2. Yes perhaps we might be better, but I have no faith after the last 12 years once Aikman, Smith and Irvin retire, for the office to pick good drafts. Its pretty much been one flop after other with a few gems here or there.

So, it becomes more about watching or cheering on your fav players than what is best for the sum which is the Dallas Cowboys?

hHQfeZD.jpg

#12 brailing

brailing

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

Something to ponder...

1320782135_cobra_cat.gif

#13 brailing

brailing

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

Yea..good point...makes ya wonder!!??

1320782135_cobra_cat.gif

#14 AllSaddleNoHorse (PC)

AllSaddleNoHorse (PC)

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,887 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

Actually, we know exactly what the Cowboys are without Romo. We don't have to think or guess or project anything. Without Romo, the Cowboys are 5-3 which if you extend it for a full season would be 10-6. That 5-3 was in the harder part of the schedule, without Dez Bryant for part of it, with Roy Williams vanishing instead of becoming Kitnas go to receiver, with whatever RB could take the field and stand, the firing of Wade Phillips as HC-DC.

Old man Kitna and young'un Stephen McGee with all of that chaos going on were able to win 5 out of 8 games and McGee was very close to having won another.

Romo is not the only way the Cowboys can win games. We know it for a fact. We all saw it in 2010 right after the meltdown and firing of Wade Phillips. And Romo is the CAUSE of a lot of his plays breaking down where he has to scramble around extending plays and trying to make something happen with a pass.Even after all the time Romo has been the starter at QB, the Cowboys offense is still ineffective at successfully executing the quick release short yardage passes that chew up a blitz happy defense and make the defenses play more honestly instead of blitzing at will.

And an interesting tidbit about that 5-3 run was that the Cowboys game was well balanced between passes and runs with Kitna and McGee under center. In bus driver game management mode the Cowboys won 5 out of 8 games with an almost even up run to pass ratio. With Romo under center the pass to run ratio is miles apart.

pjbz9K4.jpg

You can't even be paper champions when you are cowboys that are all saddle and no horse.

#15 AllSaddleNoHorse (PC)

AllSaddleNoHorse (PC)

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,887 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

I'd trade every one of those players mentioned if a good trade that benefits the Cowboys could be worked out.

Seriously.

I'd have no problems continuing the youth movement (rebuilding) mode by mortgaging the last one or two productive years of those aging players careers for the betterment of the Cowboys team long term.

And its not like the current mix of aging unstars are going to the playoffs and barely losing each season.

Kyle Orton can bus drive the Cowboys while they await Manziel or Bridgewater entering the NFL draft. I'm good with Dwayne Harris and Beasley continuing to develop as starting WRs as the Cowboys look for some big possession receivers that can catch the ball, hold onto the ball, take the hits over the middle, and methodically move the chains to eat time off the clock while moving down the field to score a TD.

Witten is MR Cowboy for his time with the team. He is now holding back the progress of other TEs on the roster though. And he has lost a step. He doesn't crash into defenders and knock the backward much these days in finishing off plays at or near the goal line. He has even pulled up and danced around with little guys defending him at the goal line the past couple of seasons.

The Cowboys are not just one or two players away from winning a Super Bowl. Even if they hit solid gold in the draft and free agency the next two seasons, they will still be several players away from dominating and going to the Super Bowl unless of course they hit lightning in a bottle like an oilman's dream of hitting that big gusher.

pjbz9K4.jpg

#16 dallasGOON

dallasGOON

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,575 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Actually, we know exactly what the Cowboys are without Romo. We don't have to think or guess or project anything. Without Romo, the Cowboys are 5-3 which if you extend it for a full season would be 10-6. That 5-3 was in the harder part of the schedule, without Dez Bryant for part of it, with Roy Williams vanishing instead of becoming Kitnas go to receiver, with whatever RB could take the field and stand, the firing of Wade Phillips as HC-DC.

Old man Kitna and young'un Stephen McGee with all of that chaos going on were able to win 5 out of 8 games and McGee was very close to having won another.

Romo is not the only way the Cowboys can win games. We know it for a fact. We all saw it in 2010 right after the meltdown and firing of Wade Phillips. And Romo is the CAUSE of a lot of his plays breaking down where he has to scramble around extending plays and trying to make something happen with a pass.Even after all the time Romo has been the starter at QB, the Cowboys offense is still ineffective at successfully executing the quick release short yardage passes that chew up a blitz happy defense and make the defenses play more honestly instead of blitzing at will.

And an interesting tidbit about that 5-3 run was that the Cowboys game was well balanced between passes and runs with Kitna and McGee under center. In bus driver game management mode the Cowboys won 5 out of 8 games with an almost even up run to pass ratio. With Romo under center the pass to run ratio is miles apart.

LMAO. That's funny.

Take any stretch of wins you want and 'extend to a full season' and get whatever record you want. Doesn't mean it'll be accurate. Look, guys. Romo is the best QB on the team. Period. He was better than Kitna. He's better than Orton is now. The Cowboys simply need pieces in other places to get better.

4710c4269704789.jpg

#17 cowboysfan1237

cowboysfan1237

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

I'd trade every one of those players mentioned if a good trade that benefits the Cowboys could be worked out.

Seriously.

I'd have no problems continuing the youth movement (rebuilding) mode by mortgaging the last one or two productive years of those aging players careers for the betterment of the Cowboys team long term.

And its not like the current mix of aging unstars are going to the playoffs and barely losing each season.

Kyle Orton can bus drive the Cowboys while they await Manziel or Bridgewater entering the NFL draft. I'm good with Dwayne Harris and Beasley continuing to develop as starting WRs as the Cowboys look for some big possession receivers that can catch the ball, hold onto the ball, take the hits over the middle, and methodically move the chains to eat time off the clock while moving down the field to score a TD.

Witten is MR Cowboy for his time with the team. He is now holding back the progress of other TEs on the roster though. And he has lost a step. He doesn't crash into defenders and knock the backward much these days in finishing off plays at or near the goal line. He has even pulled up and danced around with little guys defending him at the goal line the past couple of seasons.

The Cowboys are not just one or two players away from winning a Super Bowl. Even if they hit solid gold in the draft and free agency the next two seasons, they will still be several players away from dominating and going to the Super Bowl unless of course they hit lightning in a bottle like an oilman's dream of hitting that big gusher.

Like the Giants did last year lol. Still cant belive they went on that run. The Giants got there dream of oil or Gold lol. Jerry Jones says it could happen to us. When we were 8-7, thats all Jones talk about was the Giants 9-7 run to the SB.

#18 AllSaddleNoHorse (PC)

AllSaddleNoHorse (PC)

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,887 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

LMAO. That's funny.

Take any stretch of wins you want and 'extend to a full season' and get whatever record you want. Doesn't mean it'll be accurate. Look, guys. Romo is the best QB on the team. Period. He was better than Kitna. He's better than Orton is now. The Cowboys simply need pieces in other places to get better.

Sadly, its the fact and not a stretch. And I can't laugh at it because Garrett and Romo are killing the current crop of Cowboys players who are aging and crushing any hope they have had of going to the Super Bowl.

And the reason I can project it backwards for the first half of the season is because that 1-7 meltdown Cowboys team played in the easier part of the schedule. They played a pass happy pass early pass often game plan with Romo under center. They were the Cowboys team that had arrived, gotten the monkey off their back and beat a decrepit worn out Eagles team in the playoffs the season before. Never mind they got blown out by a healthy Vikings team the following week.

And Romo can be exalted by his fans all they want. I'm not a Romo first fan, Im a Dallas Cowboys team fan. Romo is 8-8 two seasons running after a 1-5 record in 2010. Kitna and McGee went 5-3 with the same players in much dire circumstances than Romo had that season. It's not a stretch to look at reality unless your perception as a fan is that Romo is great and you don't want to hear anything that is different from that thought line.

Romo is aging, has lost a step and will continue losing steps as he gets even older. He is a great stat making pass happy gunslinger but he is not a great NFL QB that can elevate the team around him. He is part of the problem in that he can not successfully execute the quick release short yardage passing game on a continual basis and still struggles with it even when Jason Witten is his intended receiver.

I will agree that Romo is the best QB that GM Jerry Jones, the scouts and the coaches have had on the roster since Aikman retired. Romo had lots of potential to be developed into a top tier QB. Sadly though the indictment is that the Coiwboys GM, scouting department, and coaching staff didn't find or develop Romo. Sean Payton did as the Cowboys OC. Sean had to fight to get Romo to camp, fight to keep him on the roster and fight to keep Parcells from cutting him. And when Payton became HC of the Saints, Jerry Jones was willing to trade Romo for a 2nd round draft pick. Saints owner Tom Benson evidently put the cabosh on that deal and Payton was only allowed to offer a 3rd rounder. The Cowboys brain trust post Jimmy Johnson and without Sean Payton have majorly failed at recognizing, acquiring, coaching, developing and mentoring up a back up QB. The closest they came so far is Stephen McGee. The rest of those back up QB for the Cowboys are other teams cast offs that were developed elsewhere and then brought to the Cowboys.

Still though. Cowboys did go 5-3 with Kitna and McGee with the loss of the top two receivers, Miles Austin nursing his long term injured hammy, and whatever RB could take the field.

Laugh if you want. The Cowboys went 1-5, 8-8, and 8-8 with Romo under center the past three seasons. Elite stats aren't getting the job done even in a scheme built to Romo's strengths and on his second round of Romo Friendlies.

pjbz9K4.jpg

#19 3:30 Left NOTHINGNADAZILCH

3:30 Left NOTHINGNADAZILCH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

If I remember correctly we had the Saints beat and Roy Williams fumbled at their 5 yard line or something. We dont need Romo to give away games klike a rook any longer. We might as well have a rook doing it. at least then theres a chance that he grows out of it...

Posted Image

#20 kskboys

kskboys

Ring of Honor

• Moderators
  • 29,340 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

LMAO. That's funny.

LMAO. That's funny.

For example, Tebow, Vince Young, Derek Anderson, Fitzpatrick, Quincy Carter, Matt Cassell, Kolb, Flynn, Grossman, Jake Plummer, Pelluer, Clint Longley, Jeff George, Rosenfels, and many many more.

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really.