On Now
Coming Up
  • Tue., Nov. 12, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Tue., Nov. 12, 2013 11:45AM - 12:25PM CST Live Jason Garrett Press Conference Jason Garrett speaks to the media during his daily press conference LIVE from Valley Ranch.
  • Tue., Nov. 12, 2013 1:00PM - 2:00PM CST Live Talkin' Cowboys

Join Mickey, Bryan, and Rowan as they breakdown all of the latest Cowboys news.

• Wed., Nov. 13, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Wed., Nov. 13, 2013 1:00PM - 2:00PM CST Live Talkin' Cowboys

• Thu., Nov. 14, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Thu., Nov. 14, 2013 4:45PM - 5:20PM CST Live On Air With DC Star Magazine Join Josh Ellis and Jeff Sullivan for an in-depth look into Dallas Cowboys Star Magazine.
  • Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 10:15AM - 10:40AM CST Live Jason Garrett Press Conference Jason Garrett speaks to the media LIVE from Valley Ranch.
  • Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 2:30PM - 3:30PM CST Live Fantasy Friday Join Rowan Kavner and Ed Cahill as they talk Fantasy Football.
  • Tue., Nov. 19, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Tue., Nov. 19, 2013 11:45AM - 12:25PM CST Live Jason Garrett Press Conference Jason Garrett speaks to the media during his daily press conference LIVE from Valley Ranch.
  • Tue., Nov. 19, 2013 1:00PM - 2:00PM CST Live Talkin' Cowboys

• Wed., Nov. 20, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.

Photo

2014 draft jockeying

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 Don

Don

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,992 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

Interested in ideas on how to position the team for getting a top 5 pick in next years draft? Or close enough to move up to 1-2 if needed?

Scenarios?

w0JOZ5f.jpg

#2 emmittstaubach

emmittstaubach

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,053 posts
  • LocationWilliamsport, Pa

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

Interested in ideas on how to position the team for getting a top 5 pick in next years draft? Or close enough to move up to 1-2 if needed?

Scenarios?

2013 is this year, right?

KINDA LIKE MY MORNING CONSTITUTIONAL....SPLASH!

#3 Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,672 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

I think Dallas will be bad enough to earn a top ten pick assuming the GM, HC, QB stay the same. Shouldn't be too hard to trade up from the spot earned to draft Aaron Murray, but then again Jerry will probably draft a TE who played hoops and almost no football.

#4 3:30 Left NOTHINGNADAZILCH

3:30 Left NOTHINGNADAZILCH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

Scenarios?

Not trying to make this another you know who thread, but the best way to get there without throwing the season is to trade Romo for multi picks (NOT INTs :) ) in the 2014 draft...

Posted Image

#5 uvaballa

uvaballa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,787 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

Don this is going to get moved.

It's looking like we may be picking in the top 10 in 2014.

i08jXDp.jpg

The last 5 drafts the Cowboys have only drafted 2 DL before the 7th round.

#6 emmittstaubach

emmittstaubach

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,053 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

How would you know this? We haven't played 2013 yet.

#7 Don

Don

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,992 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

My threads don't get moved they are too good to move. Especially in the off season. :ph34r:

w0JOZ5f.jpg

#8 DDdave

DDdave

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,249 posts
  • LocationNew Market, MD

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

Can we get through this years off season circus first?? :P

Cowboys 2014 wish list. Improved game management, defense, trenches, run game. Fewer injuries. Win the NFCE! Bacon for everyone!! GO COWBOYS!!!

#9 Prospect

Prospect

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

Not trying to make this another you know who thread, but the best way to get there without throwing the season is to trade Romo for multi picks (NOT INTs :) ) in the 2014 draft...

because you admit that Romo is the only reason this team has a chance to win 8 games and that we do not have the supporting cast for him to win a SB?

ba1dcf4653821740738bdd7c99fcfabc.png

Ahmad Dixon - S, Dallas Cowboys

"I've always been counted out"

#10 DCBlueStar

DCBlueStar

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Scenarios?

What are you trying to do... Lay downey for Clowney? lol

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"On the field... I get a chance to legally beat somebody up,

so I take advantage of that when I can." - Travis Frederick

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER: @DCBlueStar

BdJ5jsaCUAAXxZi.jpg

#11 emmittstaubach

emmittstaubach

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,053 posts

My threads don't get moved they are too good to move. Especially in the off season.

Overconfidence. Are you a Patriot?

#12 emmittstaubach

emmittstaubach

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,053 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

because you admit that Romo is the only reason this team has a chance to win 8 games and that we do not have the supporting cast for him to win a SB?

Yeah, if he stinks so bad, how in the world could we get multiple picks?

#13 Don

Don

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,992 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

OK i'll start.

Mort says Romo can get us a 1st and a 3rd and maybe more. Trade him he's getting up there in age.

Ride Orton and a late round change of pace QB who can throw decent and run the pistol. And be groomed to be the next QB or a nice piece of trade bait.

And hope we don't do all that well so that we can get a stud QB next year. I seriously think Jerry is positioning the team to get a new QB next year.

Also see what Ware is worth.

w0JOZ5f.jpg

#14 emmittstaubach

emmittstaubach

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,053 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

I'm still hung up on Jerry as Buford T. Justice.

#15 SafetyBlitz

SafetyBlitz

Professional Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:41 PM

Scenarios?

They could let you be the coach.

#16 Don

Don

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,992 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

I'm still hung up on Jerry as Buford T. Justice.

Emmitt I want to hear your scenarios.

w0JOZ5f.jpg

#17 Don

Don

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,992 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

They could let you be the coach.

Any 500 drunks can lose with this team. I guess I might do ok if called upon.

w0JOZ5f.jpg

#18 emmittstaubach

emmittstaubach

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,053 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:38 AM

Emmitt I want to hear your scenarios.

Well, we COULD trade Romo for multiple picks like Mort said. Let Orton drive the bus, with a later round QB back up. I'd only want this if I knew for sure we could really improve the running game, because if we couldn't, we'd be looking at a longer stretch under .500. I think, though, that IF we do the following: 1)Draft DE,G,S,NT,RB,QB,DE 2)Get a FA WR 3)Welcome back the many injured players like Ratt, Ware, Church, Lee, Carter, and further develop Johnson, Wilbur, McSurdy, etc. 4)Acclimate to the new scheme under Kiffen and Marinelli. 5)Let Callahan do his thing with the offense. Honestly, if we draft well and get back our injured players, I don't see why we can't do better than 8-8.

#19 romeo

romeo

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans/Chicago/Los Angeles/SF-Oakland Bay Area/Dayton/St. Louis/New Orleans/Pearland TX

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:56 AM

Scenarios?

Great minds think alike. The 2013 draft is weak. However, I do not believe in trading down in a draft for more picks in the same draft. Its like you don't want to go on a date with someone but you cancel and reschedule 2 dates with someone worse than the date you cancel later in the week.

I am all for trading a no. 1 for a move down in the first for a no.1 next year and another draft pick in the 2014 draft. If the player I wanted was not in the first round at all, I would trade for another no.1 next year and no. 2 draft pick in 2014. You would still have rounds 2-7. But have 2 1st rounds, and a 2nd round pick plus another pick in the 2014 draft.

The 2013 draft will have a couple of good players actually worthy of a top 15 pick. With the Cowboys selecting at 18 they are really not going to get good draft value. Draft experts and NFL scouts have said the quality of this draft is at OL and DL with no big time players. So there will be a run on OL and DL early in the first round leaving 2nd-3rd round talent on the draft board. So the Cowboys would be forced to draft the best player available. You can do that in round 2.
"The Peak to Reach Lies Deep Within...to Grasp It is to Lose It."
www.outthebox.com
Posted Image
How Bout Dem Cowboys!

#20 uvaballa

uvaballa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,787 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:05 AM

How would you know this? We haven't played 2013 yet.

Because we have the exact same players/coaches at key positions. And for that reason teams like the Skins, seahawks, vikes, etc are passing us by. Do not expect different results if you're players and coaches do not change.

i08jXDp.jpg

The last 5 drafts the Cowboys have only drafted 2 DL before the 7th round.