You are here

Photo

Salary Cap issues have to be solved for 2014, not just 2013

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 jumbo075

jumbo075

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,899 posts
  • LocationGolden Colorado

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:01 AM

The Cowboys have to make some drastic moves to get under the salary cap for 2013. But they are in really bad shape for the 2014 salary cap. So, what the Cowboys really need to do is make some strategic moves for not just this year, but for years to come.

Currently, the Cowboys have 65 players under contract for 2013 at a salary cap total of $156,457,344 - about $35-36 million over the cap. But the Cowboys also have 51 players under contract for 2014 at a cost of $138,848,171 - and that is before they sign Dan Bailey and Sean Lee to new contracts, and before they sign any free agents or draft picks from this year or next.

The salary cap prison that the Cowboys have built for themselves means that they have to seriously make some cuts to the roster of what they have considered to be key players in the recent past. Those cuts need to happen over the next two years.

In addition to restructuring the 4 contracts of Tony Romo, DeMarcus Ware, Brandon Carr, and Jason Witten by the end of the month, the Cowboys should plan on parting ways with the following players over the next two seasons.

Here are my proposed cuts for 2013: David Arkn, Miles Austin, Josh Brent, Dan Conner, Doug Free, Jay Ratliff, Gerald Sensabaugh, Marcus Spears, Lawrence Vickers.

Brent, Conner, and Vickers are immediate cuts that help reduce the cap. Austin and Free should be immediately cut, but designated as June 1st cuts (the NFL rules allow teams to cut up to 2 players early, but treat them as if they are June 1st cuts for salary cap purposes.) Arkin, Ratliff, Sensabaugh, and Spears should be cut after the June 1st deadline.

Restructuring those 4 contracts and cutting those 9 players on that schedule will reduce the Cowboys cap number for 2013 to $108,230,344. With a projected cap of $121 million, that will give the Cowboys about $12 million to sign some mid-level free agents to replace some of the guys that are cut, perhaps look at bringing in some more help for the Oline or at safety, and allow the Cowboys to focus their draft on rebuilding the Oline and Dline, or maybe getting a pass rusher to replace the loss of Anthony Spencer.

As importantly, it reduces the salary cap numbers for next season from almost $139 million for 51 players to $124,538,171 for 46 players. With a projected 2014 salary cap number of $122 million, the Cowboys are going to need more space, especially if you consider that they will have more money added to their 2014 cap for the free agents and draft picks they sign this year.

In 2014, I propose the Cowboys cut the following players: Mackenzy Bernadeau, Nate Livings, Kyle Orton, and Orlando Scandrick. Cutting those 4 players after June 1st in 2014 will reduce the Cowboys salary cap hit from $124,538,171 to $112,478,171. Also, if they negotiate a new Contract for DeMarcus Ware next offseason, they can save another $6,450,000 against the 2014 cap to reduce the total to $106,028,171.

Then they can really get out of the salary cap mess by planning on cutting Tony Romo after the 2015 season, which means that in 2014, the Cowboys need to draft their QB of the future to 1) become the backup to Romo in 2014 and 2015, allowing the release of Kyle Orton, and 2) being ready to replace Romo in the 2016 season. Spending a 2nd round pick on a QB in 2014 allows the Cowboys to see if that guy can be the one to replace Romo. If not, then their backup plan would be to spend a 1st round pick on a QB in 2015.

So, if the Cowboys plan on cutting those 13 players in the next two seasons, they have to plan their free agent signings, their draft picks, and their new contracts for the young studs on the team accordingly. Someone in the Cowboys front office needs to have a long-term strategic plan instead of just trying to "win this year."

Also, the Cowboys are going to have to rely on some young guys to step up and become contributors. Recent draft picks and key rookie free agents like Dez Bryant, Sean Lee, Dwayne Harris, Sean Lissemore, Tyron Smith, Bruce Carter, DeMarco Murray, Alex Albright, Morris Claiborne, Tyrone Crawford, Kyle Wilbur, Matt Johnson, Danny Coale, James Hanna, Cole Beasley, and Ron Leary, along with the draft picks from this year and next year are going to be the core of the new Cowboys team going forward. If they don't play up to their potential, then the Cowboys will not be a good team.

The Cowboys have no choice except to rely on the younger players. Like it or not, holdovers from the Parcells years - including Romo, Witten, and Ware - are going to be the old men on the team sooner than later. In fact, by the end of next offseason, those 3 players should be the ONLY players left on the team that were acquired before 2010 - and the Cowboys should be planning on all of them being gone by start of the 2017 season at the latest.

The most important member of the Cowboys staff may not be Jerry Jones or Jason Garrett. It might be Scouting Director Tom Ciskowski. If he does his job well, and the players the Cowboys pick prove to be good players, then maybe, just maybe, the Cowboys will have something in the near future that will make all of us happier.

#2 coogiguy03

coogiguy03

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,299 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg/York, Pennsylvania!!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:03 AM

Without reading this we're better off just not cutting any players with high contracts

(Dumbest sounding phrase ever, but we need it going forward in our playoff hopes!)

"POCKET PUSH!!!"

#3 coogiguy03

coogiguy03

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 28,299 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:05 AM

VERY GOOD READ, SOME GUYS ON HERE GET THE "GOOD READ" status by fans on here, this is a really really really good informative well thought out to the POINT read

(Dumbest sounding phrase ever, but we need it going forward in our playoff hopes!)

"POCKET PUSH!!!"

#4 coogiguy03

coogiguy03

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 28,299 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:05 AM

You did a lot of number crunching/etc, hats off to ya jumbo

"POCKET PUSH!!!"

#5 R.D.

R.D.

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,021 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:08 AM

Dang Jumbo..... I vote you for Stephen's job. B) Im under the impression that, this is what he does.

m1g0.jpg

#6 coogiguy03

coogiguy03

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 28,299 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:09 AM

Dang Jumbo..... I vote you for Stephen's job. B) Im under the impression that, this is what he does.

Is he the one that cleans jerry's glasses lol

"POCKET PUSH!!!"

#7 coogiguy03

coogiguy03

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 28,299 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:10 AM

Who would want stephen's job knowing you have NO power unless daddy oversees it!

"POCKET PUSH!!!"

#8 jumbo075

jumbo075

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,899 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:14 AM

Who would want stephen's job knowing you have NO power unless daddy oversees it!

If my Daddy was worth about $3-5 billion, and paid me about $1 million per year to crunch the numbers, I think I could put up with it.

#9 coogiguy03

coogiguy03

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 28,299 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:21 AM

If my Daddy was worth about $3-5 billion, and paid me about $1 million per year to crunch the numbers, I think I could put up with it.

He'd get that anyway just being his son, but he's a top level man, could you ever imagine stephen going elsewhere to be a gm?

"POCKET PUSH!!!"

#10 Don

Don

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,129 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:29 AM

Thread:
Why the Dallas Cowboys Should Consider Trading DeMarcus Ware
The Bold - believe he picked up the article

But what if I were to purpose a tax that would allow the Cowboys to shortcut the rebuilding process?
You have to believe that Ware is on the other side of his prime. That's not to say he isn't still one of the best linebackers in the league. It was just one year ago that Pete Prisco ranked him third on his list of Top 100 NFL Players, which means his market value still demands a heavy price tag.

It would be wise for Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett to take advantage of that price tag while they can. Ware is worth at least a first round draft pick this year, a second round draft pick next year and a few picks to be named later.

Then there's the freed up cap space that would afford them the opportunity to make an offer to Anthony Spencer or give them some room to bargain in free agency .

Ware is owed a base salary of $5.5 million in 2013. That number balloons to $12.2 million in 2014 and $13.7 million in 2015. The Cowboys will still be on the hook for signing bonuses and restructure bonuses, roughly $12 million (unless they can work out a cash deal) but the savings over the next three years make that pill a lot easier swallow.

Thread:
Minimum Contract Players vs. High Priced Players
Jumbo

Looking at Ware, a similar situation applies. Ware is scheduled to count $12,221,750 against the cap. If you trade him, he will still count $10,665,250 - a savings of only $1,556,500. Then, you would theoretically need to spend at least that much on a rookie draft pick or Free agent to get another pass rusher - and how can you seriously replace the best pass rusher in the NFL? Before Ware's shoulder injury last season, he was on pace for another 20 sack season. There is no reason to believe he will not return to form in 2013. If you restructure his contract, then you can reduce his cap hit to $9,221,750 - a savings of $3,000,000 against the cap, almost double the savings you get from trading him.

Are you guys in agreement here Jumbo? Trying to figure out the Ware scenarios..

LzXrWKc.gif

#11 coogiguy03

coogiguy03

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 28,299 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:51 AM

Just relieve this team of its cap issues, sign players to 1 year deals sheesh lol

"POCKET PUSH!!!"

#12 jumbo075

jumbo075

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,899 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:57 AM

Thread:
Why the Dallas Cowboys Should Consider Trading DeMarcus Ware
The Bold - believe he picked up the article

But what if I were to purpose a tax that would allow the Cowboys to shortcut the rebuilding process?
You have to believe that Ware is on the other side of his prime. That's not to say he isn't still one of the best linebackers in the league. It was just one year ago that Pete Prisco ranked him third on his list of Top 100 NFL Players, which means his market value still demands a heavy price tag.

It would be wise for Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett to take advantage of that price tag while they can. Ware is worth at least a first round draft pick this year, a second round draft pick next year and a few picks to be named later.

Then there's the freed up cap space that would afford them the opportunity to make an offer to Anthony Spencer or give them some room to bargain in free agency .

Ware is owed a base salary of $5.5 million in 2013. That number balloons to $12.2 million in 2014 and $13.7 million in 2015. The Cowboys will still be on the hook for signing bonuses and restructure bonuses, roughly $12 million (unless they can work out a cash deal) but the savings over the next three years make that pill a lot easier swallow.

Thread:
Minimum Contract Players vs. High Priced Players
Jumbo

Looking at Ware, a similar situation applies. Ware is scheduled to count $12,221,750 against the cap. If you trade him, he will still count $10,665,250 - a savings of only $1,556,500. Then, you would theoretically need to spend at least that much on a rookie draft pick or Free agent to get another pass rusher - and how can you seriously replace the best pass rusher in the NFL? Before Ware's shoulder injury last season, he was on pace for another 20 sack season. There is no reason to believe he will not return to form in 2013. If you restructure his contract, then you can reduce his cap hit to $9,221,750 - a savings of $3,000,000 against the cap, almost double the savings you get from trading him.

Are you guys in agreement here Jumbo? Trying to figure out the Ware scenarios..

No, we are not in agreement at all. I think that after next season, the Cowboys should negotiate a 4 year contract (2 year extension) for Ware at a price of $46 million. Give him a $18 million signing bonus, and salaries of $1 million (2014), $7 million (2015), 10 million(2016), and $10 million(2017). That would reduce his salary cap hits for 2014 and 2015 significantly. Also, he would still get paid $26 million for those two years, but he would get more money upfront. It would allow the Cowboys to stretch out his contract for two more years, and he would be a Cowboy until age 35. I think Ware is still in his prime, and keeping him on the Cowboys for 5 more years is a good choice. During that time, the Cowboys can try to find a replacement for him.

Just because Ware got hurt the last half of 2012 doesn't mean he has declined. He was on pace for yet another 20 sack season in 2012, and I fully expect him to ramp right back up to that point. Since Ware rushed on nearly every down anyway, I don't believe that switching to fulltime defensive end is going to hurt his production. Ware is going to be like Bruce Smith and Reggie White. He will continue to put up big sack numbers every year for a few more years, and the odds of finding someone to replace his production in the draft during that time is small. I would be shocked if Ware doesn't average 15 sacks per year over the next 5 years, which would put him at 186 sacks in 13 years - just 12 short of White, and 14 short of Smith. Ware is just that good. You don't trade that type of talent away in his prime. You just don't. Just ask the 49ers if they still think trading away Charles Haley in his prime to Dallas was a good idea.

#13 Don

Don

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,129 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:11 AM

No, we are not in agreement at all. I think that after next season, the Cowboys should negotiate a 4 year contract (2 year extension) for Ware at a price of $46 million. Give him a $18 million signing bonus, and salaries of $1 million (2014), $7 million (2015), 10 million(2016), and $10 million(2017). That would reduce his salary cap hits for 2014 and 2015 significantly. Also, he would still get paid $26 million for those two years, but he would get more money upfront. It would allow the Cowboys to stretch out his contract for two more years, and he would be a Cowboy until age 35. I think Ware is still in his prime, and keeping him on the Cowboys for 5 more years is a good choice. During that time, the Cowboys can try to find a replacement for him.

Just because Ware got hurt the last half of 2012 doesn't mean he has declined. He was on pace for yet another 20 sack season in 2012, and I fully expect him to ramp right back up to that point. Since Ware rushed on nearly every down anyway, I don't believe that switching to fulltime defensive end is going to hurt his production. Ware is going to be like Bruce Smith and Reggie White. He will continue to put up big sack numbers every year for a few more years, and the odds of finding someone to replace his production in the draft during that time is small. I would be shocked if Ware doesn't average 15 sacks per year over the next 5 years, which would put him at 186 sacks in 13 years - just 12 short of White, and 14 short of Smith. Ware is just that good. You don't trade that type of talent away in his prime. You just don't. Just ask the 49ers if they still think trading away Charles Haley in his prime to Dallas was a good idea.

I wasn't really asking about what to do with Ware but more about the numbers. He say Wares salary this near is 5.5 and doesn't say anything about what it cost us to trade him.

You say he's counting 12,221,750 against the cap this year.

LzXrWKc.gif

#14 jumbo075

jumbo075

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,899 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:15 AM

I wasn't really asking about what to do with Ware but more about the numbers. He say Wares salary this near is 5.5 and doesn't say anything about what it cost us to trade him.

You say he's counting 12,221,750 against the cap this year.

That is correct. Ware's salary is $5.5 million, but he counts over $12 million against the cap. That is because his prior signing bonuses count $6,221,750 against the cap. Plus, he gets paid another $500,000 to work out in the offseason. He is one of 3 Cowboys who have a workout bonus in their contracts. The other two are Dez Bryant and DeMarco Murray. So, with the Workout bonus, the Cowboys will be paying him $6 million in 2013.

#15 Don

Don

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,129 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:19 AM

That is correct. Ware's salary is $5.5 million, but he counts over $12 million against the cap. That is because his prior signing bonuses count $6,221,750 against the cap. Plus, he gets paid another $500,000 to work out in the offseason. He is one of 3 Cowboys who have a workout bonus in their contracts. The other two are Dez Bryant and DeMarco Murray. So, with the Workout bonus, the Cowboys will be paying him $6 million in 2013.

So basically this money he is claiming that we'll have left over to offer to Spencer is peanuts right? I just didn't get that impression from the other article.

LzXrWKc.gif

#16 kskboys

kskboys

Landry Hat

• Moderators
  • 30,847 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:21 AM

I would simply call you and give you a quarter mil to do it.

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#17 Don

Don

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,129 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:28 AM

I would simply call you and give you a quarter mil to do it.

LOL me too. He makes my head hurt.

LzXrWKc.gif

#18 coogiguy03

coogiguy03

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 28,299 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:29 AM

give me 4,000 a week for life and i'm fine! lol

"POCKET PUSH!!!"

#19 jumbo075

jumbo075

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,899 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:31 AM

So basically this money he is claiming that we'll have left over to offer to Spencer is peanuts right? I just didn't get that impression from the other article.

A lot of sports journalists are Math Challenged. Once you understand how the salary cap handles salaries vs. bonuses, it's really not that hard to keep up with the math - if you know how to operate a spreadsheet.

#20 Bleedin' Blue

Bleedin' Blue

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

I'd trade the Dallas "STARS" for the situation in Cinncinnati any day. 2 straight playoffs and 50 mill under the cap. The only players i can name off their roster are AJ Green and Andy Dalton.Pretty sure they aint breaking the bank.

fan_cowboys_view_1296x729.jpg

Your D will look Fugly when you play the big Uglies.