On Now
Coming Up
  • Tue., Nov. 12, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Tue., Nov. 12, 2013 11:45AM - 12:25PM CST Live Jason Garrett Press Conference Jason Garrett speaks to the media during his daily press conference LIVE from Valley Ranch.
  • Tue., Nov. 12, 2013 1:00PM - 2:00PM CST Live Talkin' Cowboys

Join Mickey, Bryan, and Rowan as they breakdown all of the latest Cowboys news.

• Wed., Nov. 13, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Wed., Nov. 13, 2013 1:00PM - 2:00PM CST Live Talkin' Cowboys

• Thu., Nov. 14, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Thu., Nov. 14, 2013 4:45PM - 5:20PM CST Live On Air With DC Star Magazine Join Josh Ellis and Jeff Sullivan for an in-depth look into Dallas Cowboys Star Magazine.
  • Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 10:15AM - 10:40AM CST Live Jason Garrett Press Conference Jason Garrett speaks to the media LIVE from Valley Ranch.
  • Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 2:30PM - 3:30PM CST Live Fantasy Friday Join Rowan Kavner and Ed Cahill as they talk Fantasy Football.
  • Tue., Nov. 19, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Tue., Nov. 19, 2013 11:45AM - 12:25PM CST Live Jason Garrett Press Conference Jason Garrett speaks to the media during his daily press conference LIVE from Valley Ranch.
  • Tue., Nov. 19, 2013 1:00PM - 2:00PM CST Live Talkin' Cowboys

• Wed., Nov. 20, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.

Photo

Who's Untouchable on this team...?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
99 replies to this topic

#41 blueberryicedcoffee

blueberryicedcoffee

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts
  • LocationBaconland

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:59 AM

Dez or Witten

200b69k.jpg

#42 buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:07 AM

Lee. He's young, a play maker, and a leader on and off the field.

Maybe Dez. The latest article on Dez was about how diligent he has become. That sky is the limit for him is he can keep that up.

It would be nice to add Smith to that group, but his play hasn't justified it yet.

Ware, Romo, WItten - they're just not the future.

"I'm troubled, but not to the extent that I want to do anything about it" - Jerry's philosophy as a GM.

#43 coogiguy03

coogiguy03

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,606 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg/York, Pennsylvania!!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

Lee/carter/dez for now are fine maybe witten!!

I KNOW I'LL BE THE FAN OF THE YEAR FOR THIS PIC!! lol

qLLAAin.jpg?1

#44 coogiguy03

coogiguy03

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,606 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg/York, Pennsylvania!!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:54 AM

Guys that are not safe O-LINE/D-LINE!!

I KNOW I'LL BE THE FAN OF THE YEAR FOR THIS PIC!! lol

qLLAAin.jpg?1

#45 emmittstaubach

emmittstaubach

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,493 posts
  • LocationWilliamsport, Pa

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

Our father lover companion our boss our best friend ANTHONY ROMO!

Sarcasm CAN be utilized in a subtle way as well.

KINDA LIKE MY MORNING CONSTITUTIONAL....SPLASH!

#46 jagger

jagger

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Locationarlington, texas

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

Break out year for Dez Bryant for sure! Is the best yet to come... YES!
With Dez And Dwayne Harris on the same side blocking for each other on pass play's the Cowboy's will have the number one offense in football Next year!
These are two of the best wr's in the league at blocking, catching, and yards after the catch. They are YOUNG and improving rapidly! Seems logical to put them on the same side since they are the impact players who will be getting the ball most! Not only blocking for each other, but also for the rb too! Plus, it will be easier for Tony to spot the open receiver if they are on the same side! One of these guys WILL BE OPEN on every play!!!!!
I thought Dez played great this year and is coming into form. I wish some of the Game Changing Plays could have gone in his favor this year. Wow!
I was also impressed with Harris's ability to change our field position and Make the big plays when WE NEEDED a Momentum shift!!!! That included some big punt returns, some critical 2 point conversions, and some catches! Harris put up some amazing statistics for a half year player and has proven that he will be an all purpose player in the NFL, just like he was in college!
Dez and Dwayne are going to do some even greater things for the Cowboys next year! I'm guessing both will easily make pro bowl players next year along with Romo!
Even with a mediocre ol and running game, my prediction is 12-4 or better next year and a shot at the lombardi trophy!!!!
Give those safe extra touches that Whitten got and thosed forced throws to Dez on 3rd down to Dwayne Harris, and you have a championship in the making fellas! If Harris would have played or peaked earlier in the year we would have easily cruised to a division title!!!
I don't think Dez would have had the year he did individually as he would have w/out the emergence of DH! But both of these guys working together will be a tandem that Fans talk about for many years to come!

#47 jagger

jagger

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Locationarlington, texas

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

Untouchable in order!!!!
Dez, Harris, Romo, Austin, Ware, and maybe Lee and Murray!
Touchable in order!!!!
Whitten, Spencer, Ratliff, and all of our free agents... although I like JW and I think he will actually be part of a winning era if he stays!

#48 starfan1

starfan1

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

The easy answer would be no one is untouchable but I'm sure Jerry jones's departure could do nothing but help this franchise but he isnt going no where yet.

Witten is as valuable as anyone but if were smart were looking for his replacement so he isnt untouchable.I wont get in to my thoughts on Romo too deep but to say he isnt untouchable. i think romo and witten make each other and probably shoud depart around the same time.

Ware as much as i like him is on the wrong side of 30 and has taken an absolute beating over the years as he has been our best player on D for while.

I think that if I were to pick a player it would be Lee,Murray or Dez but given that 2 of them cant stay on the field and the other just came on at the end of the year Ill go with Bailey or Ladoucer lol! j/k
Posted Image

#49 Rawhide 74

Rawhide 74

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • Location15 miles from the Linc

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

Break out year for Dez Bryant for sure! Is the best yet to come... YES!
With Dez And Dwayne Harris on the same side blocking for each other on pass play's the Cowboy's will have the number one offense in football Next year!
These are two of the best wr's in the league at blocking, catching, and yards after the catch. They are YOUNG and improving rapidly! Seems logical to put them on the same side since they are the impact players who will be getting the ball most! Not only blocking for each other, but also for the rb too! Plus, it will be easier for Tony to spot the open receiver if they are on the same side! One of these guys WILL BE OPEN on every play!!!!!
I thought Dez played great this year and is coming into form. I wish some of the Game Changing Plays could have gone in his favor this year. Wow!
I was also impressed with Harris's ability to change our field position and Make the big plays when WE NEEDED a Momentum shift!!!! That included some big punt returns, some critical 2 point conversions, and some catches! Harris put up some amazing statistics for a half year player and has proven that he will be an all purpose player in the NFL, just like he was in college!
Dez and Dwayne are going to do some even greater things for the Cowboys next year! I'm guessing both will easily make pro bowl players next year along with Romo!
Even with a mediocre ol and running game, my prediction is 12-4 or better next year and a shot at the lombardi trophy!!!!
Give those safe extra touches that Whitten got and thosed forced throws to Dez on 3rd down to Dwayne Harris, and you have a championship in the making fellas! If Harris would have played or peaked earlier in the year we would have easily cruised to a division title!!!
I don't think Dez would have had the year he did individually as he would have w/out the emergence of DH! But both of these guys working together will be a tandem that Fans talk about for many years to come!

Geez I like your passion and optimism, and wish I had some of it. I tell you what when you get all the plans worked out on how to kidnap the 49ers in training camp and throw them on Gilligans Island let me know cause Im in . Then we might have a shot at the Lombardy Trophy this year. LOL LOL

I really think we have to build a dominant Oline to get the most out of our skill position players, but Harris and Dez are certainly 2 bright spots on the team . I especially like the way Harris totally turned our return game around . This was a big step forward.

#50 beware d-ware

beware d-ware

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

I think anyone from the first 3 rounds in the last three drafts is untouchable. For all of Jerry's many, many faults, he has brought home the goods in the early part of the draft since the '09 disaster, and has given this team a young core that can be built around for the future. I think that we should make every effort to retain all these guys unless injuries or contract demands dictate otherwise.

I really should stop trying to prognosticate the draft.

Even Jerry can't screw this one up!

-Posted just before pick #18 in the 2013 NFL Draft

#51 diehardblues

diehardblues

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,306 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

I think anyone from the first 3 rounds in the last three drafts is untouchable. For all of Jerry's many, many faults, he has brought home the goods in the early part of the draft since the '09 disaster, and has given this team a young core that can be built around for the future. I think that we should make every effort to retain all these guys unless injuries or contract demands dictate otherwise.

Our last 3 #1 picks are still in question IMO.

Dez may be the best of these BUT we still havent seen a complete season with him. Lord knows if he can stay healthy or out of trouble with hopes he can learn the playbook with his God given ability which is not in question.

Smith & Claiborne seem solid but again they are NOT proven to be #1 picks yet. Claiborne has more weight on him since we gave up an additional pick for him. Smith looks solid but up against the rest of our OL most would:)

hHQfeZD.jpg

It's Greg. I changed my screen name.

#52 jumbo075

jumbo075

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,708 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

Here is some information to help you make your decisons.

Here are the 38 players (out of 67 on the roster) that the Cowboys can outright trade or cut with $0 impact the salary cap:

Agnew, Albright, Armstrong, Bailey, Bass, Benford, Brent, C.Bryant, Callaway, Coale, Cochart, Conner, Cook, Dominguez, Dunbar, Green, Hatcher, Hayden, Hughlett, Igbinosun, C.Jones, Kowalski, Leary, Lee, Mitchell, Moore, Pellerin, Price, Satele, Sheffield, Simmons, A.Smith, Stephens, Tanner, Taylor, Underwood, Vickers, Weems.

Of these 38 players, only Bailey, Hatcher and Lee, who are in the last year of their respective contracts, stand out as players the Cowboys definitely want to keep long-term. The Cowboy should be looking to negotiate new contracts with those 3 guys.

Of these 38 players, only Conner, Cook, Hatcher, and Vickers are scheduled to make more than $1,000,000 in 2013.

Here is how much it costs to keep each of the other 29 players vs. cutting or trading them prior to June 1st.

Arkin............$.....575,000 to keep.........$.....113,400 to cut or trade
Austin..........$..6,732,000 to keep.........$..4,710,000 to cut or trade
Beasley.......$.....480,000 to keep.........$............500 to cut or trade
Bernadeau..$..2,250,000 to keep.........$..2,125,000 to cut or trade
D.Bryant......$..1,807,500 to keep.........$..1,118,500 to cut or trade
Carr.............$14,300,000 to keep.........$20,300,000 to cut or trade
Carter...........$.....816,327 to keep.........$.....507,500 to cut or trade
Church.........$.....823,000 to keep..........$..1,500,000 to cut or trade
Claiborne.....$..1,129,296 to keep..........$..5,134,364 to cut or trade
Crawford......$.....500,000 to keep......... $.....287,626 to cut or trade
Free.............$..7,000,000 to keep..........$..7,000,000 to cut or trade
Hanna..........$.....480,000 to keep..........$.......53,426 to cut or trade
Harris...........$.....565,000 to keep..........$.......27,650 to cut or trade
Johnson.......$.....480,000 to keep..........$.....150,292 to cut or trade
Lissemore....$.....630,000 to keep..........$..1,200,000 to cut or trade
Livings.........$..1,700,000 to keep..........$..3,800,000 to cut or trade
McSurdy......$.....405,000 to keep..........$.......29,700 to cut or trade
Murray.........$.....645,313 to keep..........$.....331,000 to cut or trade
Orton...........$..1,350,000 to keep..........$..3,000,000 to cut or trade
Parnell.........$..1,023,088 to keep..........$.....333,333 to cut or trade
Ratliff...........$..5,000,000 to keep..........$..4,000,000 to cut or trade
Romo...........$11,500,000 to keep..........$..9,224,334 to cut or trade

Scandrick.....$..2,000,000 to keep..........$..4,740,000 to cut or trade
Sensabaugh.$..3,000,000 to keep.........$..1,600,000 to cut or trade
T.Smith.........$..1,511,009 to keep.........$..1,897,018 to cut or trade
Spears..........$..2,000,000 to keep.........$..1,400,000 to cut or trade
Ware............$..5,500,000 to keep..........$..5,443,500 to cut or trade

Wilbur...........$....480,000 to keep..........$.....219,600 to cut or trade
Witten...........$..5,500,000 to keep.........$..5,000,000 to cut or trade

The numbers above are IN ADDITION TO the Salary Cap hit the Cowboys are already due to take in 2013 due to past signing bonuses for the players on the roster. (Note: Players in Red - it costs more to cut them than keep them; Players in Blue,cutting them costs more than 50% of what keeping them would cost.) Not included in the cost to cut or trade a player is the cost of another player on the roster to replace him.

If you cut or trade players after June 1st, the the salary cap hit would still be the same, but it would be spread out over 2 years (2013 & 2014) instead of being all absorbed at one time. By NFL rules, the Cowboys can cut up to 2 players in March, but designate them as June 1st cuts so that the hit on the 2013 salary cap would not be as high. If the Cowboys were to cut a player like Austin, Free, or Ratliff in March, then they would probably want to designate up to 2 of them as June 1st cuts.

If you trade a player, you CANNOT designate them as a June 1st trade. You have to take the whole salary cap hit immediately. That is why it doesn't make any sense at all to try to trade players whose additional salary cap hit in near or even above what it would cost to keep them.

Other than the 2 players the Cowboys can designate as June 1st cuts, any other players cut or traded would have to come from the list of 38 players that would have $0 impact on the salary cap.

The Cowboys also have the option of restructuring/renegotiating the salaries of certain players in 2013 to lower their salary cap impact for this year, but unless the player is acually willing to take a pay cut, that strategy actually pushes up the cost of cutting or trading them in the future because it pushes some of the accounting for this year's salaries into future years.

#53 uvaballa

uvaballa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,095 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

The numbers above are IN ADDITION TO the Salary Cap hit the Cowboys are already due to take in 2013 due to past signing bonuses for the players on the roster. (Note: Players in Red - it costs more to cut them than keep them; Players in Blue,cutting them costs more than 50% of what keeping them would cost.)

If you cut or trade players after June 1st, the the salary cap hit would still be the same, but it would be spread out over 2 years (2013 & 2014) instead of being all absorbed at one time. By NFL rules, the Cowboys can cut up to 2 players in March, but designate them as June 1st cuts so that the hit on the 2013 salary cap would not be as high. If the Cowboys were to cut a player like Austin, Free, or Ratliff in March, then they would probably want to designate up to 2 of them as June 1st cuts.

If you trade a player, you CANNOT designate them as a June 1st trade. You have to take the whole salary cap hit immediately. That is why it doesn't make any sense at all to try to trade players whose additional salary cap hit in near or even above what it would cost to keep them.

Other than the 2 players the Cowboys can designate as June 1st cuts, any other players cut or traded would have to come from the list of 38 players that would have $0 impact on the salary cap.

The Cowboys also have the option of restructuring/renegotiating the salaries of certain players in 2013 to lower their salary cap impact for this year, but unless the player is acually willing to take a pay cut, that strategy actually pushes up the cost of cutting or trading them in the future because it pushes some of the accounting for this year's salaries into future years.

Based on those numbers the guys who should be cut for financial reasons are probably only Sensy or Miles. I guess we'll have to see how the contract restructuring works with some of the guys. I hope they can get Free to take less money.

X0H8ggd.jpg

#54 R.D.

R.D.

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,649 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

Poor Beasley...lol. Only 500 bucks to cut em...lol. Hope he proves em wrong & turns into the next Wes Welker :)

m1g0.jpg

#55 starfan1

starfan1

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

Based on those numbers the guys who should be cut for financial reasons are probably only Sensy or Miles. I guess we'll have to see how the contract restructuring works with some of the guys. I hope they can get Free to take less money.

I hope the can get that turnstyle to take the first plane out of Dallas. Parnell was no worse in fact i'd say hie was better.Not stellar but you didnt have to be that good to be better than Free was. Oh how the mighty have fallen lol.
Posted Image

#56 uvaballa

uvaballa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,095 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

I hope the can get that turnstyle to take the first plane out of Dallas. Parnell was no worse in fact i'd say hie was better.Not stellar but you didnt have to be that good to be better than Free was. Oh how the mighty have fallen lol.

Based on his cap number I don't see Free getting cut. At the very least they'd keep him as a back up in case someone gets hurt.

X0H8ggd.jpg

#57 starfan1

starfan1

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

Based on his cap number I don't see Free getting cut. At the very least they'd keep him as a back up in case someone gets hurt.

Your probably right
Posted Image

#58 daboys28

daboys28

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,560 posts
  • LocationHermann Mo

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

Doug Free.

This team isn't going any where without him.
"You find me offensive? I find you offensive. For finding me offensive..." eminem

#59 jumbo075

jumbo075

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,708 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

If the Cowboys cut Free as a June 1st cut, then $1.99 million of the $7 million shown above would count against the 2013 cap. So, the Cowboys would still save $5.01 million against the 2013 cap by cutting Free. But they would also take another $5.01 million hit for the rest of the $7 million in 2014.

The issue is that the Cowboys don't want to shell out another $7 million in real cash to Free for poor performance. The $7 million hit on the salary cap is for money already paid, not future money spent. It is time to cut bait on Free, even though it will create $5.01 million in dead money in 2014.

#60 couchcoach

couchcoach

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,925 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Else

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

If I became the new JJ, I would first off, burn this forum to the ground, you're not trashing me on my dime. But, before I did that, I would lie-in-wait, watching closely and every poster that said cruel and mean things about me, especially couchcoach, I would get your email addresses and sign you up for every nasty, filthy and disgusting web site out there. Then I'd shut this down and when I reopened it, nothing but praise and prose would be allowed for the new JJ.

I would hire a retired DT with a nasty attitude and his job would be to hit me in the scrotum with a spiked club every time I said "uh" or winked like I knew what I was talking about because, of course, I would still be me and would not know any more than I do know. But, I would be knee deep in green to celebrate my ignorance. And no nose picking or pocket pool in my suite during games,

I would hire the best GM available and make sure he knew where to get the best personnel guy and get the best HC. I would then have the best HC hire his best assistants. Then I would call a meeting to discuss how close are we or do we blow it up and start over again. It's their jobs on the line and I would emphasize I want to be in the SB by the 3rd year of their employment, so make the call and I will abide by it. I will bet you they'd agree to blow it up. That would mean no untouchables, it's NFL shopping and trading days at Cowboys Stadium.

I would empower my staff to do everything they need to accomplish the goal. As I would understand while I own it, I am not qualified to run all of it. I am responsible for the bottom line, the profitability of the franchise. The product is below my pay grade but above my skills.

But, I would begin to network to find the best minds to replace these mutton heads that told me to blow up the team. Discovering that I had made the same mistake as the previous owner by hiring the wrong GM. All of this time, since I claimed no responsibilty for the team, I would be beloved and people would throw rose petals at my feet when I walked into one of my malls. Did I mention the malls? I'd own 'em all just to watch hot women in tight pants shop.

And, by firing the first GM and replacing him, the forum would be singing my praises as a take charge kind of owner forgetting I was the moron that hired this guy in the first place but most would be so busy hating on my QB, they would forget about me. I, of course, would be signed in under an alias and hating on my HC. Old habits are hard to break.

Seriously, there would be no untouchables and I would let the GMs know I am looking to rebuild and every player is available for the right price. I have convinced myself that the best way to the top is backing up. I also have convinced myself that vegetables are actually alien life forms and the larger ones in the mothership are coming for revenge. And I'm talking a stalk of celery as tall as the Eiffel Tower. That's why I am eating as much meat as I can because cows are stupid and aliens are mean. Felt you should know this in case you decide to join in my rebuilding crusade.

Met a farmer one day driving this tractor down this dusty road. I asked him where he was going . He said to buy a new tractor. I said I don't know anything about tractors (only true thing in this post) but that one looks pretty good. He said I've got to prepare 100 acres tomorrow for planting and this tractor won't make it. Probably only go about 50 acres and give out. I said why don't you wait until it does and get a new one, at least you'll get 50 acres out of it. He said I didn't know much about farming. I told him thought I'd already admitted that with the tractor comment. He said my goal is 100 acres, not 50 one day and 50 the next as you are suggesting. Besides, if I switch tractors the rows might not all look right and I might have to go over the first 50 again. Might as well do it right with a new tractor and let someone else get that last 50 acres out of my old one. My old tractor is only going to get me halfway there, while a new one might take me all the way.