On Now
Coming Up
  • Tue., Nov. 12, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Tue., Nov. 12, 2013 11:45AM - 12:25PM CST Live Jason Garrett Press Conference Jason Garrett speaks to the media during his daily press conference LIVE from Valley Ranch.
  • Tue., Nov. 12, 2013 1:00PM - 2:00PM CST Live Talkin' Cowboys

Join Mickey, Bryan, and Rowan as they breakdown all of the latest Cowboys news.

• Wed., Nov. 13, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Wed., Nov. 13, 2013 1:00PM - 2:00PM CST Live Talkin' Cowboys

• Thu., Nov. 14, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Thu., Nov. 14, 2013 4:45PM - 5:20PM CST Live On Air With DC Star Magazine Join Josh Ellis and Jeff Sullivan for an in-depth look into Dallas Cowboys Star Magazine.
  • Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 10:15AM - 10:40AM CST Live Jason Garrett Press Conference Jason Garrett speaks to the media LIVE from Valley Ranch.
  • Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 2:30PM - 3:30PM CST Live Fantasy Friday Join Rowan Kavner and Ed Cahill as they talk Fantasy Football.
  • Tue., Nov. 19, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Tue., Nov. 19, 2013 11:45AM - 12:25PM CST Live Jason Garrett Press Conference Jason Garrett speaks to the media during his daily press conference LIVE from Valley Ranch.
  • Tue., Nov. 19, 2013 1:00PM - 2:00PM CST Live Talkin' Cowboys

• Wed., Nov. 20, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.

Photo

Should the Cowboys trade down their 1st Round pick...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 America's Cowboy

America's Cowboy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,278 posts
  • LocationSouthern Tip of Texas

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

...say if someone like the Ravens was willing to trade their #26th overall pick AND their 3rd Rounder and a 6th Rounder for our #18th overall?

Since there are lots of good-to-decent Olinemen & Dlinemen talent within the first 3 rounds in this years draft, wouldn't it be smart to trade down in the first round in order to stock pile an extra 3rd rounder and later rounds picks?

GO COWBOYS!!!!!

498f9285-1bef-4906-8b68-7e8c1e23e63d_zps

#2 TruBlueSince1982

TruBlueSince1982

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

Well that sure is salivating... Would we even have enough cap room to sign those extra picks? Gonna have to answer me that first...

If so, well if Cooper, Warmack, Star, and Richardson are all gone, yep I'd do...

"Let it be so,..... Let it be written..."

Best-NFL-Week-15-GIFs-Cowboys-WR-Dez-Bry

;)

#3 ajuarez

ajuarez

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationButte Montana

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

i'd like to hear jumbo's thoughts on this

To know me is to hate me , if you don't know me , give it 10 minutes you'll hate me

#4 dallasGOON

dallasGOON

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

Nope. Dallas needs more first round talent on this roster, as much as it can get. There's a reason the better teams keep winning, and part of it is homerun selections in almost every 1st round they pick in. What the Cowboys need to do is get good at picking players in the first round. Once you get good at that,  you can take chances on guys in the later rounds. It seems like Jerry and his puppeteers try too hard to look like maverick wheel and dealers when, for the most part, they're just spinning in circles, tearing up their own yard. I know other teams point and laugh. Trying to get 2-3 'pretty good' players at the compromise of potentially getting one GREAT/lights out player doesn't seem to work out when Dallas tries it.

I'd rather they just make the best first round pick they can make and then go from there.

4710c4269704789.jpg

#5 blueboys

blueboys

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

no team Would give up a third and a sixth to move up a few spots that late in the draft, unless they were completely in love with a player around #18.. and that's highly unlikely.
a fourth and sixth is more realistic and I do not see the value in that kinda trade.
If a team is giving up a third they would shoot higher than #18.

#6 TruBlueSince1982

TruBlueSince1982

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

Nope. Dallas needs more first round talent on this roster, as much as it can get. There's a reason the better teams keep winning, and part of it is homerun selections in almost every 1st round they pick in. What the Cowboys need to do is get good at picking players in the first round. Once you get good at that,  you can take chances on guys in the later rounds. It seems like Jerry and his puppeteers try too hard to look like maverick wheel and dealers when, for the most part, they're just spinning in circles, tearing up their own yard. I know other teams point and laugh. Trying to get 2-3 'pretty good' players at the compromise of potentially getting one GREAT/lights out player doesn't seem to work out when Dallas tries it.

I'd rather they just make the best first round pick they can make and then go from there.

Id normally agree, but say we cut Free, June 1st to free up cap space...  Now we will need a tackle, runningback, defensive tackle, saftey, guard, with one other pick going somewhere else best available... The extra picks would give us much needed depth on both O and D lines... So almost all those draft picks are "needs" and there is nothing for certain saying we get our man at each position, especially if they decide to play best available player game...  We could wind up with holes to still fill after our 6 picks... They better draft for need and hit on each one, or at least the majority...  Running Back should deffenatly be the 6th pick though, I screwed that up above...

;)

#7 TruBlueSince1982

TruBlueSince1982

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

no team Would give up a third and a sixth to move up a few spots that late in the draft, unless they were completely in love with a player around #18.. and that's highly unlikely.
a fourth and sixth is more realistic and I do not see the value in that kinda trade.

Well duh.... Sorry, but for real!  And alot of teams fall i love with players...  I'm in love with 4, Cooper, Warmack, Star, Richardson

1 of those guy's will be there though... or I will throw a girly hissy fit and start pouting

;)

#8 chrispierce

chrispierce

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,416 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

Dallas would be wise to stick with their picks,unless its some great deal,which I doubt would happen.

#9 blueboys

blueboys

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

Well duh.... Sorry, but for real! And alot of teams fall i love with players... I'm in love with 4, Cooper, Warmack, Star, Richardson

1 of those guy's will be there though... or I will throw a girly hissy fit and start pouting

The point is, if a team is giving up a third to move to #18 it would be a team setting around # 28-32
Like Minnesota who has two late first rounder #26 and 28 I believe, and if they are willing to do that, there must be a highly rated player available.. so why should Dallas pass on that player and miss out on quality first round pick?

#10 America's Cowboy

America's Cowboy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,278 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

The point is, if a team is giving up a third to move to #18 it would be a team setting around # 28-32
Like Minnesota who has two late first rounder #26 and 28 I believe, and if they are willing to do that, there must be a highly rated player available.. so why should Dallas pass on that player and miss out on quality first round pick?

The point is because BOTH Cooper and Warmack are ONLY 6'2" in height. You're confident in having a 6'2" Guard? He'll get dominated by much bigger/stronger/more aggressive DTs.

GO COWBOYS!!!!!

#11 blueboys

blueboys

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

The point is because BOTH Cooper and Warmack are ONLY 6'2" in height. You're confident in having a 6'2" Guard? He'll get dominated by much bigger/stronger/more aggressive DTs.

You do not want tall guards, you want big strong athletic ones.. and 6'2- 6'3 is ideal height for a guard.

#12 Capn b

Capn b

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,333 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

From 26 to 18 isn't a few picks, thats a nice jump from the bottom of the first round, to the middle. No team would take less then a third round pick in my opinion.  Think about it, would u take an extra 4th round pick to move down towards the bottom of the first round ? A fourth round pick who has about 30 percent chance of making the team ? 

An extra third is exactly what should be asked for in a trade like this

#13 WECap193

WECap193

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

Dallas would be wise to stick with their picks,unless its some great deal,which I doubt would happen.

I second the motion. There will be a high quality player the team NEEDS when the 18th pick comes around.
"A bird in hand..."

#14 Capn b

Capn b

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,333 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

AC, guards aren't normally really tall. I mean sure you have guys that are tall which play the spot, but the tall guys seems to rest at the tackle spots. Not to mention when you are shorter like that, gives you the chance to have better leverage, that and the long arms those guys have is just perfect for the guard position in my opinion

#15 TruBlueSince1982

TruBlueSince1982

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

Very true, my bad, I see your point

;)

#16 TruBlueSince1982

TruBlueSince1982

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

AC, guards aren't normally really tall. I mean sure you have guys that are tall which play the spot, but the tall guys seems to rest at the tackle spots. Not to mention when you are shorter like that, gives you the chance to have better leverage, that and the long arms those guys have is just perfect for the guard position in my opinion

I agree, shorter guards imo have the advantage, especially with long arm reach.. The average is 6'4" anyway, not that big a difference

;)

#17 TruBlueSince1982

TruBlueSince1982

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

Plus Tony can see over them better

;)

#18 blueboys

blueboys

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

From 26 to 18 isn't a few picks, thats a nice jump from the bottom of the first round, to the middle. No team would take less then a third round pick in my opinion. Think about it, would u take an extra 4th round pick to move down towards them bottom of the first round ? A fourth round pick who has about 30 percent chance of making the team ?

An extra third is exactly what should be asked for in a trade like this

Yeah that's what you would want but if a third round pick is getting thrown around from a 26-28
Pick team they would be shooting higher than #18
A 29-32 team would be the more realistic place to see a third rounder for the #18 pick.. and that would basically take you out of the first round for a third round pick.

#19 blueboys

blueboys

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

The teams that have a great possibility to trade up are the Vikings and the 49ers.

The Vikings have the 23rd and 25th picks, in addition to the 52nd and 83rd picks. The 49ers have the 31st, 34th, 61st, 74th, and 93rd picks. Both have the ammunition to trade up.

The Vikings would be looking higher than #18 for their third and the 49ers could possibly use their 34th to move up before #18..

#20 America's Cowboy

America's Cowboy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,278 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

AC, guards aren't normally really tall. I mean sure you have guys that are tall which play the spot, but the tall guys seems to rest at the tackle spots. Not to mention when you are shorter like that, gives you the chance to have better leverage, that and the long arms those guys have is just perfect for the guard position in my opinion

Good points Capn.

GO COWBOYS!!!!!