On Now
Coming Up
  • Tue., Nov. 12, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Tue., Nov. 12, 2013 11:45AM - 12:25PM CST Live Jason Garrett Press Conference Jason Garrett speaks to the media during his daily press conference LIVE from Valley Ranch.
  • Tue., Nov. 12, 2013 1:00PM - 2:00PM CST Live Talkin' Cowboys

Join Mickey, Bryan, and Rowan as they breakdown all of the latest Cowboys news.

• Wed., Nov. 13, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Wed., Nov. 13, 2013 1:00PM - 2:00PM CST Live Talkin' Cowboys

• Thu., Nov. 14, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Thu., Nov. 14, 2013 4:45PM - 5:20PM CST Live On Air With DC Star Magazine Join Josh Ellis and Jeff Sullivan for an in-depth look into Dallas Cowboys Star Magazine.
  • Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 10:15AM - 10:40AM CST Live Jason Garrett Press Conference Jason Garrett speaks to the media LIVE from Valley Ranch.
  • Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 2:30PM - 3:30PM CST Live Fantasy Friday Join Rowan Kavner and Ed Cahill as they talk Fantasy Football.
  • Tue., Nov. 19, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Tue., Nov. 19, 2013 11:45AM - 12:25PM CST Live Jason Garrett Press Conference Jason Garrett speaks to the media during his daily press conference LIVE from Valley Ranch.
  • Tue., Nov. 19, 2013 1:00PM - 2:00PM CST Live Talkin' Cowboys

• Wed., Nov. 20, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.

Photo

Johnny Manziel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 doomsday_defense

doomsday_defense

Novice User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:41 AM

Do you believe that he is going to be overlooked due to his size? Would he be a possible snag for us in the future? Obviously he would be financial beneficial for us due to marketing, but do you believe his skill set would translate into the nfl well?

#2 TheUltimateFan

TheUltimateFan

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

Do you believe that he is going to be overlooked due to his size? Would he be a possible snag for us in the future? Obviously he would be financial beneficial for us due to marketing, but do you believe his skill set would translate into the nfl well?

Physically he isn't much different than Romo. I would wonder if that is something the franchise would want a second time around. If he is overlooked, and can be got in later rounds... maybe. Couldn't hurt.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New+York+Giants+v+Dallas+Cowboys+lC-DCj1

This team could crash and burn every year .... it's still Dallas Cowboys til I die.

#3 rocknrollinhoneybadger

rocknrollinhoneybadger

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

Only question is how is his style going to transfer to the NFL? Running around looks great but in the NFL you are going up against faster talent. I'd hate to see this kid end up like RGIII

artworks-000062342641-p90d1z-original.jp

#4 28touchdowns

28touchdowns

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

I would actually LOVE to see this kid end up like RG III.  RGlll has turned out to be a franchise saver for the deadskins.  Of course there are lessons learned with the injury and what not.  But if JM  has a similar skill set, I say we do whatever it takes to get him.  That QB from Louisville is pretty good too.  If we have a terrible season and finish at or near the bottom of the league and we have a top 3 pick.  We would all be salavating for JM....And Jerry would pick a WR or RB due to his "value chart".

#5 Sonicxtacy02

Sonicxtacy02

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

Romo is here as the starter for the next 4 years, drafting a QB next year gives him at best 1 season before needing to be resigned.  As much as most people see this as a need, I have a feeling we'll continue to have bigger needs that need be addressed early in drafts due to the ridiculous cap hell the teams bound for the next 2 years.

#6 True-Grit

True-Grit

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationCentre, Al

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

Absolutely! We could have a serious offense! Like the Saints. We are good,but Manziel adds another level to defend,which free's up the running game. Look how RG3 affected those things. 

#7 comeonman

comeonman

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

I think he's a good QB, but there's just TOO MUCH hype surrounding him right now. Let's wait and see how he plays next year. I think he can definitely make all the throws necessary, but if we do well next year he won't be available to us by the 20+ pick.

If he does somewhat well next, he'll go top 5.

#8 True-Grit

True-Grit

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationCentre, Al

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

I think he's a good QB, but there's just TOO MUCH hype surrounding him right now. Let's wait and see how he plays next year. I think he can definitely make all the throws necessary, but if we do well next year he won't be available to us by the 20+ pick.

If he does somewhat well next, he'll go top 5.

True on the hype.

#9 comeonman

comeonman

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

True on the hype.

I mean, he tried to trademark the term "Johnny Football"...as a freshman in college.

#10 bigdfan2488

bigdfan2488

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationCypress, TX

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

Romo is here as the starter for the next 4 years, drafting a QB next year gives him at best 1 season before needing to be resigned.  As much as most people see this as a need, I have a feeling we'll continue to have bigger needs that need be addressed early in drafts due to the ridiculous cap hell the teams bound for the next 2 years.

You get 5 years for 1st rounders I believe don't you? Or it's 4 years and a team option for the 5th. Something like that anyway.

This is what will make next year's draft so interesting to me. The QB talent should be outstanding. Next year is the year to draft your QB of the future, but as you've said, Romo's contract makes it such that any future QB would have only 1-2 years of actually starting before needing to re-sign them.

#11 bigdfan2488

bigdfan2488

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationCypress, TX

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

I mean, he tried to trademark the term "Johnny Football"...as a freshman in college.

He didn't. One, it was given to him coming out of high school. Two, his family did because people were profiting off the nickname in merchandise. That's a product of the hype of course, but it's not like he was trying to trademark the nickname due to his ego or something. His family and TAMU had very valid reasons for pursuing the trademark.

#12 daygoboy6191

daygoboy6191

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, Ca

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

I wouldn't touch Manziel with a first round pick, and actually wouldn't take him in the top 3 rounds. Doesn't have the size, or the speed to make up for lack of size. He isn't going to be Drew Brees, or Wilson I just don't see him as a starting QB in the NFL.

#13 Capn b

Capn b

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,290 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:07 PM

I wouldn't touch Manziel with a first round pick, and actually wouldn't take him in the top 3 rounds. Doesn't have the size, or the speed to make up for lack of size. He isn't going to be Drew Brees, or Wilson I just don't see him as a starting QB in the NFL.

I'd like to watch him a bit more closer this year before making judgment. Gonna make an effort to watch most of their games

#14 PreyofInterest

PreyofInterest

Novice User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

The trademarking of the term Johnny Football was not to make money but to prevent the people coming out of the woodwork making money off his likeness...ie shirts and bumper stickers and whatever with johnny football on it.

Im not saying he will win the Heisman again but he is going to be in the running and that will ensure a top 5 selection next yr. Especially with the success of Russell Wilson and shorter QB's.

#15 bigdfan2488

bigdfan2488

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationCypress, TX

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:46 AM

Russell Wilson would like to speak with you.

Lol, I kid. I disagree, but there's no way for me to definitively prove you wrong either.

#16 deathstar2222

deathstar2222

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:06 AM

We'll know a lot more about him next season. I'm curious if he keeps getting better or goes downward.

Dez_Mo_061213_650-2.jpg

Dunbar_090313_650.jpg

#17 johnny23

johnny23

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

you don't draft a kid in the first round in this day in age unless you are going to start him day one. And you don't give a QB a 100+ million dollar contract just to turn around and draft a QB to replace him. Which would mean Romo would be gone after this coming season if that happened. Ridiculous. You guys just don't think sometimes.

#18 daygoboy6191

daygoboy6191

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, Ca

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:45 AM

I would Shariff Floyd his A$$!!!!

#19 Ammodog80

Ammodog80

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:01 AM

I like manzel a lot!!! But his measurables are a concern. I'd take him high though. Bridgewater will also be a target that will be considered but I don't like what he's got going on upstairs. I'd take Manzel over him because I'd rather have the higher IQ over the better athlete.

#20 PreyofInterest

PreyofInterest

Novice User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:27 PM

Because of their height and playing styles I'm comparing Wilson and Manziel. I don't think Wilson is as good an athlete though.

Russell Wilson 

http://www.nfl.com/c...lson?id=2532975

college stats

http://www.sports-re...l-wilson-1.html

Manziel

http://www.sports-re...-manziel-1.html

Stats are from the SEC, you know the same conference that turned out 12 first round picks. Anyone who talks sports and absolutes just don't know sports. If Manziel has a similar year I believe he goes in the 1st. Just like these mocks:

http://nfl.si.com/20...nfl-mock-draft/

http://walterfootbal...m/draft2014.php

http://bleacherrepor...r-college-stars