You are here

Photo

AVOIDING THE INJURY PLAGUE: Addressing the apparent rise in ACL, Achilles, and hamstring injuries

ACL injury ACL Strength and Conditioning Hamstring injury CBA Achilles Tyrone Crawford Dallas Cowboys Dallas Cowboys injuries NFL

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

Poll: AVOIDING THE INJURY PLAGUE (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Why are we seeing an apparent rise in ACL, Achilles, and hamstring injuries

1. Poor Strength and Conditioning programs (10 votes [17.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.24%

2. Player self-motivation or commitment issues (5 votes [8.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.62%

3. CBA imposed reduction in mandatory practices and team activities (10 votes [17.24%] - View)

4. Inadequate equipment, pads, or shoes (1 votes [1.72%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.72%

5. Artificial turf on practice or playing fields (2 votes [3.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

6. Insufficient liquid intake (3 votes [5.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.17%

7. Players not stretching or warming up properly (10 votes [17.24%] - View)

8. Other (10 votes [17.24%] - View)

9. Are you crazy? None of the above (7 votes [12.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.07%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 THEBOYSAREBACK

THEBOYSAREBACK

Top Recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:27 PM

cowboys-2013-injury-report-young-dallas-

I don't think it's my imagination. It seems that there has been an increase in ACL, Achilles, and hamstring injuries in the past few years. Most concerning recently, as a Dallas Cowboys fan, is the season-ending Achilles tear suffered by DE Tyrone Crawford last week. League wide, as other teams have joined the Cowboys and Dolphins by opening training camps, there are many more of these types of injuries are reported every day or two.    

After several text and voice discussions with my son, I have come to several conclusions. I believe the changes imposed by the new CBA has lead to more injuries. I say this for two reasons.

·         Players must now rely on themselves or private trainers during the offseason to stay in condition

·         Teams are now much more restricted (therefore, less influential) regarding offseason and in-season conditioning

I do believe the Dallas Cowboys Strength and Conditioning staffs are doing all they can within League/NFLPA's new guidelines. I expect good arguments on both sides of this issue. Some will claim, "less is better" ... others will flip the coin and side with the old school (Jimmy Johnson) philosophy of "more is better". Ultimately, this falls on the shoulders of the players. They must be self-motivated during the offseason and work harder to stay in shape without team supervision. Surely, NFL Strength and Conditioning staffs provide players with a recommended regimen to follow during the offseason. 

Since the CBA has been in place, teams are restricted to fewer 'mandatory' practices and team activities. The question seems to be, is this beneficial or detrimental to long-term strength and conditioning issues?

I hope to hear from fans that have expertise in this area ... doctors, trainers, physical therapists, coaches, etc. to learn what is causing the increase in injuries and more importantly ... what the NFL should do to reduce them in the future. Regarding hamstrings, is it largely an issue of not stretching properly? Are players not taking in enough liquids? Are shoes and artificial turf putting players at risk? 

Hate to see the Dallas Cowboys go through another injury plagued season like last year. Is there something the NFL can do to decrease the odds of them occurring and recurring?

Check out: THE BOYS ARE BACK blog - Robert D Knight
Posted Image

#2 Capn b

Capn b

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,164 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

I don't think you can just pin it down on one thing in particular.  Hamstring injuries can happen from not working out enough, to working out to much. 

I  have often wondered with ACL & Achilles injuries is their any type of of preventive type measures that can help out.  For instance, having some type of MRI on those tendons to see if their is any kind deterioration going on which could eventually end up in a tear.   

#3 ItzKelz2

ItzKelz2

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,091 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:36 PM

As player get bigger and more athletic you will see more and more players getting hurt because honestly players stopping and going as quickly as they are is always putting stress on the knees and hammies.  The human body is not made for that type of physical stress.  Jus a theory of mine.

#ClearEyeView "A focused vision setting out on something that you have to be able to see it clear and a determined belief. You have to believe in yourself. You have to have self-belief, belief in God that you can accomplish what he wants you to accomplish. And then earned dreams: how bad do you want it, putting that work in."

DDnDriAUQAAUgNI.jpg

#4 THEBOYSAREBACK

THEBOYSAREBACK

Top Recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

I don't think you can just pin it down on one thing in particular.  Hamstring injuries can happen from not working out enough, to working out to much. 

I  have often wondered with ACL & Achilles injuries is their any type of of preventive type measures that can help out.  For instance, having some type of MRI on those tendons to see if their is any kind deterioration going on which could eventually end up in a tear.   

Interesting idea. 

Posted Image

#5 Clydesmom

Clydesmom

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:40 PM

It isn't just our team.  The entire league seems to be suffering a lot of injuries this training camp season.  

Broncos TE Koppen , tore is ACL and is done for the season.

Miami  WR Binns:  torn ACL and MCL, out for the season

Ravens TE Pitta:  fractured hip and done for the season

Eagles WR Maclin:  torn ACL out for the season

Eagles LB Phillips:  torn ACL out for the season

Browns OT Miller:  serious concussion landed in hospital, no time table for return

Chiefs   G Allen:  right shoulder injury and "will miss time"  amount unknown

Saints  Butler:  torn ACL out for the season

There is no way to prevent leg injuries 100% because it is estimated at the speeds they stop, turn, run, and get hit puts approximately 800 pounds of pressure on their ankles alone.  If the ankle is locked into the turf with cleats and they take a hard hit or the knee turns but the ankle doesn't =  torn ligaments.  All the conditioning in the world can't prevent that.

The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will."
- Vincent Lombardi

Winning the NFCE is roughly the equivalent of being the finest hockey team in all of Ecuador.

#6 ncstagger

ncstagger

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

As player get bigger and more athletic you will see more and more players getting hurt because honestly players stopping and going as quickly as they are is always putting stress on the knees and hammies.  The human body is not made for that type of physical stress.  Jus a theory of mine.

This is kind of what I think too.  Players today are just so much bigger.  You've got all this weight and muscle mass but tendons and ligaments are still small and it may be that we're seeing a limit reached as to how much the human joints can handle.  Just my opinion.

A coach is someone who tells you what you don't want to hear, who has you see what you don't want to see, so you can be who you have always known you could be.” - Tom Landry

“The Dallas Cowboys have 2 types of plays in their playbook.  Passing plays and running plays.” - John Madden

Favorite Player =  #17 Dwayne Harris - BEAST MODE!

#7 THEBOYSAREBACK

THEBOYSAREBACK

Top Recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

This is kind of what I think too.  Players today are just so much bigger.  You've got all this weight and muscle mass but tendons and ligaments are still small and it may be that we're seeing a limit reached as to how much the human joints can handle.  Just my opinion.

Great point. Makes me stop and respect how Emmitt Smith (and others) were able to play for long stretches without season-ending injuries like these. Of course, that was twenty years ago! As you say, players are getting bigger and faster! 

Posted Image

#8 Guest_Jumbo075_*

Guest_Jumbo075_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:01 PM

If you MUST find someone to blame, then blame random chance.  Because that is what this really all comes down to.

#9 Menagh1979

Menagh1979

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

If you MUST find someone to blame, then blame random chance.  Because that is what this really all comes down to.

You can't get fire random chance, you can't threaten random chance, and the most important part, a few select posters on this board that have nothing but bad things to say about any and everyone in the organization yet still claim to be fans can't bash random chance.

#10 The VOR

The VOR

Professional Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

The fact that most of these injuries have come with little to no conntact tells me it is random. Even the ones with contact have to be random as well. These guys have been hit the same way since high school.

Idealism is fine, but as it approaches reality, the cost becomes prohibitive.- Wiliiam F. Buckley Jr.

#11 THEBOYSAREBACK

THEBOYSAREBACK

Top Recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:49 PM

You can't get fire random chance, you can't threaten random chance, and the most important part, a few select posters on this board that have nothing but bad things to say about any and everyone in the organization yet still claim to be fans can't bash random chance.

While I appreciate Jumbo's point, I'm not completely sold on the 'random chance". Believe it's a combination of factors, some of which, are new (as the players/coaches adjust to the new CBA system). Many players make it through the season basically unscathed. So, I wonder, is there something that a player/system could have done to lessen the odds of a player injury to ACL, Achilles, or hamstring. Is it something that they 'didn't do' that particular day (or leading up to it) ... or something preventive they could have done prior to the injury? 

Posted Image

#12 Pass Rush

Pass Rush

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,572 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:51 PM

Despite popular belief, you cannot prevent injuries.  Sure you can take steps to lessen the likeliness of them occuring, but you can't prevent them.  Not in competative sports anyways.  They WILL happen at some point or another.

“It was about as a ugly a ball as I’ve ever thrown,” Cassel said. “As soon as I threw it, I said, ‘Uh oh, this is not good.’”

~ Cassel on the deep ball to Williams

"Well, when your pass attempt looks like a punt, bad things are bound to happen."

~Pass Rush on Cassel's comment

#13 THEBOYSAREBACK

THEBOYSAREBACK

Top Recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:00 PM

The fact that most of these injuries have come with little to no contact tells me it is random ...

89 players took the same conditioning test ... but, only a few had issues. That makes me think some of these are related to prerequisite conditioning, stretching, inadequate liquids, warming up techniques, etc. Is there something that 'random' player didn't do that day? Seems that there are a lot more serious leg injuries in the past couple of years. Like any Cowboy fan, I look forward to seeing the players on the field. 

Posted Image

#14 THEBOYSAREBACK

THEBOYSAREBACK

Top Recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:03 PM

Despite popular belief, you cannot prevent injuries.  Sure you can take steps to lessen the likeliness of them occuring, but you can't prevent them.  Not in competative sports anyways.  They WILL happen at some point or another.

I realize that injuries are inevitable in sports, especially at this level. The "lessening the likeliness" part is what interests me (particularly the leg and season-ending injuries). 

Posted Image

#15 Guest_Jumbo075_*

Guest_Jumbo075_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:23 PM

89 players took the same conditioning test ... but, only a few had issues. That makes me think some of these are related to prerequisite conditioning, stretching, inadequate liquids, warming up techniques, etc. Is there something that 'random' player didn't do that day? Seems that there are a lot more serious leg injuries in the past couple of years. Like any Cowboy fan, I look forward to seeing the players on the field. 

Let's all sing a song.

Blame, blame,blame,blame,blame,

blame,blame,blame,

blame,blame,blame,blame,blame,

blame,blame,blame,blame,blame,blame,blame,

blame,blame,blame,

Chorus:

Blame,blame,blame,blame,blame,blame,blame,blame

blame,blame,blame,blame,blame,blame

blame,blame,blame,blame,blame,blame.

blame,blame,blame,

blame,blame,blame,blame,blame,blame,blame.

Bridge:

Blame,blame,blame,blame,blame,blame,blame,blame.

Chorus:

#16 heathgs

heathgs

Landry Hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,489 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:33 PM

Let's all sing a song.

blame,blame,blame,

blame,blame,blame,

Chorus:

blame,blame,blame,

blame,blame,blame,blame,blame,blame,blame.

Bridge:

Chorus:

Second verse, same as the first

#17 The VOR

The VOR

Professional Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

I hear what you're are saying. Is there a REASON for some of these injuries? Maybe, maybe not. Here's a scenario, and you tell me if there's a REASON. A guy does the same move a million times and on that million and one time, he gets hurt. Why not the 999,999th time? Ill tell you why, it is random. Is that definitive? No. But until someone know for sure random explains it as well as anything.

Idealism is fine, but as it approaches reality, the cost becomes prohibitive.- Wiliiam F. Buckley Jr.

#18 Guest_Jumbo075_*

Guest_Jumbo075_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:04 AM

Second verse, same as the first

The problem with the endless search for someone to blame is that laying blame never solves the problem.  Never.

#19 gp_cowpolk

gp_cowpolk

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,664 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:14 AM

They don't eat enough Bacon

#20 The VOR

The VOR

Professional Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:27 AM

They don't eat enough Bacon

Or maybe they should just wrap them up in bacon...