natrlone

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,783 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:48 PM

So many things about this game.

The running game is sad. So many thought we wouldn't miss Murray because of the backups but we averaged about 2.5ypc yesterday. We do miss Murray.

The O-line is not where it should be. Romo wasn't sharp in the first half. But even without getting sacked he was under pressure. He got hit like 8 times and knocked down 5. Only reason he didn't get sacked is because he got rid of the ball. But he is usually a better passer than he was yesterday while scrambling. So he was off. Plus part of the run game has to be blamed on the line not blocking well.

Playcalling. Don't get me started. Not finding a way to get your best playmakers the ball more often. And the fact of Witten and Dez drawing doubles should have meant a huge game for the Bease.

Defense. 4 turnovers is nice and keeps you in it but you can't give up 627 yards and win very many. Especially the last drive. All they had to do was rush 4 and drop everybody else in coverage to protect against the big play. How is some guy we never even heard of wide open down the sideline deep? And then he's knocked out of bounds stopping the clock instead of making an effort to keep him in bounds to burn time. And how is the guy having a career day open right down the middle seemingly in single coverage again? Bad. And Calvin credited his big day after the game to being single covered alot. How is that possible? They were smart enough to double our best guys but we thought we could stop their best in single coverage? Pitiful.

But the coupe de gras. People complaining about JG not going after the first down on the last series and running the ball with no running game. But remember this. We were completing 50% of our passes. Det had two timeouts left. Any incompletion stops the clock and saves them a timeout. Considering we were only completing at 50% it's safe to say we probably would have helped them out at least once.

So think about the 3rd down run. All we had to do was execute a simple run play without even gaining yards, just hold onto the ball and not commit a penalty and it would have burned 40+ seconds off the clock as they were out of timeouts. Let the playclock expire and take DOG penalty and kick field goal. Then don't kick it out of the endzone burning no clock time. Squib it to burn another 5 to 6 seconds and leave them with about 20 seconds left.

It comes down to execution and as usual we couldn't execute a simple run play without a penalty in a time we needed it. This whole organization is failing.

• uvaballa and bgPete like this

#2 ncstagger

ncstagger

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts
  • LocationSandhills of North Carolina

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

Good recap.

But I thought the most crucial clock management mistake was made on the series before the final one.  The one where we ran two mind-numbingly stupid delay draws up the middle of a stacked box, which, although poor choices, they did at least move the clock some and force one timeout to be burned. 

But then, the crucial play of the game, the third and long.  Instead of running another play or throwing a short middle route or something to burn 40 seconds off or pull a second timeout from Detroit before the punt, they tried a long pass, got an incomplete and stopped the clock without using any time at all..maybe a couple seconds.  That was the big fail.  You either work the time off the clock on that series or you keep playing aggressive and go for the first down...YOU DO NOT try to do both.  That was so so so so so stupid. 

That was the series that set up the loss in my opinion and that is all on Garret.

• tbpforlife likes this

A coach is someone who tells you what you don't want to hear, who has you see what you don't want to see, so you can be who you have always known you could be.” - Tom Landry

“The Dallas Cowboys have 2 types of plays in their playbook.  Passing plays and running plays.” - John Madden

Favorite Player =  #17 Dwayne Harris - BEAST MODE!

#3 jsb357

jsb357

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts
  • LocationWaco, Texas USA

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

The pass interference on Detriot's previous possession was killer.

The guy dove to the ground to draw the penalty.

Great idea because it worked.

Just like Stafford's kill play at the end.

No one smart enough on Dallas to pull either one off.

It's a team hand built by Jerry Jones
and he has the results to prove it.

Turning America's team into an Arkansas rust bucket since 1996

#4 Amphiptere

Amphiptere

Amateur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:05 PM

I was so glad to see Dez yelling on the sidelines.  I wonder if Calvin Johnson would be equally frustrated if the Lions ever went an entire first half without targeting him ONCE.  You know why they never would?  Because it is insane.  Too often we don't try to score until we are losing.  Stafford obviously played the game of his life, but normally he isn't making perfect throws to well run routes....he throws it up to Calvin.  Something Dallas refuses to do with Dez, even though he catches everything.  When we got the ball back with 3:30 up by 3 and ran it on 1st and 2nd down for -4 yards I knew we were going to lose, and we deserved to.  Sure looks to me like Jason Garrett is still calling plays...

#5 endersdragon

endersdragon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

I also think it is important to note that the holding call was at least somewhat because the RB (forget who it was in that play) chose to bounce it outside. He runs it right up the gut, for a 1 yard loss, there is no penalty.  Not excusing Smith at all, but you don't bounce the ball outside in that situation.

• nb009 and natrlone like this

#6 natrlone

natrlone

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,783 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:16 PM

I also think it is important to note that the holding call was at least somewhat because the RB (forget who it was in that play) chose to bounce it outside. He runs it right up the gut, for a 1 yard loss, there is no penalty.  Not excusing Smith at all, but you don't bounce the ball outside in that situation.

I agree because he was taking the chance of getting knocked out of bounds and stopping the clock that way. There was just no reason to hold though cause first down wasn't even the goal of the play. Just burn 40+ seconds off the clock and then Det would have needed a pure miracle.

#7 Cwby2dayIDIE!

Cwby2dayIDIE!

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:26 PM

When I first saw this I was ******ed the the clock didn't start on the ready. Reading the rule...I have to say I get why not. A team could just commit penalty after penalty until no time is left on the clock.

If the game clock is stopped after a down in which there was a foul by either team, following
enforcement or declination of a penalty, the game clock will start as if the foul had not occurred,
except that the clock will start on the snap if:
(1) the foul occurs after the two-minute warning of the first half;
(2) the foul occurs inside the last five minutes of the second half; or
(3) a specific rule prescribes otherwise.

7779680.jpg

#8 Don

Don

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,025 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

Great post gnat—what did it say?

WFKVUOB.gif

#9 east_texan

east_texan

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:28 PM

Sometimes super natural type stuff just happens without logical explanation. I say it's the curse of Jerral Wayne Jones.

The Cowboys are the best team in the league at snatching defeat from the Jaws of victory.

• meagin likes this

#10 natrlone

natrlone

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,783 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:16 PM

Great post gnat—what did it say?

Basically that we suck.

• Don and Cowboysheels049 like this

#11 Cowboysheels049

Cowboysheels049

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

Basically that we suck.

Lol

#12 Butchie

Butchie

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

So many things about this game.

The running game is sad. So many thought we wouldn't miss Murray because of the backups but we averaged about 2.5ypc yesterday. We do miss Murray.

The O-line is not where it should be. Romo wasn't sharp in the first half. But even without getting sacked he was under pressure. He got hit like 8 times and knocked down 5. Only reason he didn't get sacked is because he got rid of the ball. But he is usually a better passer than he was yesterday while scrambling. So he was off. Plus part of the run game has to be blamed on the line not blocking well.

Playcalling. Don't get me started. Not finding a way to get your best playmakers the ball more often. And the fact of Witten and Dez drawing doubles should have meant a huge game for the Bease.

Defense. 4 turnovers is nice and keeps you in it but you can't give up 627 yards and win very many. Especially the last drive. All they had to do was rush 4 and drop everybody else in coverage to protect against the big play. How is some guy we never even heard of wide open down the sideline deep? And then he's knocked out of bounds stopping the clock instead of making an effort to keep him in bounds to burn time. And how is the guy having a career day open right down the middle seemingly in single coverage again? Bad. And Calvin credited his big day after the game to being single covered alot. How is that possible? They were smart enough to double our best guys but we thought we could stop their best in single coverage? Pitiful.

But the coupe de gras. People complaining about JG not going after the first down on the last series and running the ball with no running game. But remember this. We were completing 50% of our passes. Det had two timeouts left. Any incompletion stops the clock and saves them a timeout. Considering we were only completing at 50% it's safe to say we probably would have helped them out at least once.

So think about the 3rd down run. All we had to do was execute a simple run play without even gaining yards, just hold onto the ball and not commit a penalty and it would have burned 40+ seconds off the clock as they were out of timeouts. Let the playclock expire and take DOG penalty and kick field goal. Then don't kick it out of the endzone burning no clock time. Squib it to burn another 5 to 6 seconds and leave them with about 20 seconds left.

It comes down to execution and as usual we couldn't execute a simple run play without a penalty in a time we needed it. This whole organization is failing.

At that time, the Cowboys needed not to run any plays.  Simply kneeling on the ball for 3 plays would have used clock time without the chance of a sustaining a penalty.  I read this on a posting by (tbpforlife).  I wish he were the coach.  This coaching staff makes to many blunders and for us fans, it's so very frustrating.   That was a terrible, terrible, terrible loss.   No justifiable excuse. 

#13 RonnieT24

RonnieT24

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:36 PM

Not to excuse Tyron Smith but what they flagged him for had been ignored by the refs on both teams all game long. I find it more than a little bit curious that they chose that exact moment to enforce the rules. I mean do people realize that this was the ONLY HOLDING PENALTY CALLED ON EITHER OFFENSE THE ENTIRE GAME!?!?! With less than a minute and a half left in the game NObody on iether offense had held? Yeah.. and my daughter's getting a unicorn for Christmas. The officiating the NFL has been bad for years.. but how they consistently manage to stick it to the Cowboys is no accident. That PI against Scandrick was a friggin joke. There was a LOT more contact on the one where they picked up the flag on Williams. I hate the refs.. I hate Goodell.. but sadly, I am starting to hate this team.. They have sucked the joy out of football for me..

• Amphiptere likes this
Always do the right thing. Even if it hurts,
because doing the wrong thing always hurts more in the long run!

#14 RonnieT24

RonnieT24

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

At that time, the Cowboys needed not to run any plays.  Simply kneeling on the ball for 3 plays would have used clock time without the chance of a sustaining a penalty.  I read this on a posting by (tbpforlife).  I wish he were the coach.  This coaching staff makes to many blunders and for us fans, it's so very frustrating.   That was a terrible, terrible, terrible loss.   No justifiable excuse. 

Actually this is not true. The Lions still had 2 timeouts which they used. We STILL should have just kneeled down though. We lost 4 yards on the two running plays.. The kneel downs would have probably only lost about the same.. In fact, Romo could have run around for 4-5 seconds BEFORE taking a knee and used more time AND avoided the penalty. The smart thing would have been to give it to DUnbar and let him run around for as long as possible then take a knee before being hit  three times in a row. Lose about 10 yards per play but eat up 10+ seconds per play. First down used 5 seconds.. If you use 10 seconds then they call timeout at 1:14. Do that again and it's 1:04.  Then on the third down just kneel. No need to take any chance of handing it off. That takes the clock down to 20 seconds... then you can punt it or maybe THEN kick the FG. Who cares?  Either way they get the ball back with < 20 seconds left and no timeouts. The point is you TAKE NO CHANCES OF A PENALTY.

Chess.. not checkers..

• kskboys likes this
Always do the right thing. Even if it hurts,
because doing the wrong thing always hurts more in the long run!

#15 PHILLYCOWBOY

PHILLYCOWBOY

Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationPHILADELPHIA PA

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:54 PM

WHY NOT THROW ON FIRST DOWN WHEN THE LOINS,THIR FANS AND THE CHEERLEADERS WERE EXPECTING A RUNNING PLAY!!!!!!!! WE COULD HAVE GOT THE FIRST DOWN TO ICE THE GAME INSTEAD OF RUNNING ON THE FIRST TWO DOWNS GETTING A HOLDING PENALTY AND FORCED TO THROW ON THIRD DOWN!!!! THIS OFFENSE AND PREDICTABLE AND OFFENSIVE!!!!!!!!

#16 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 29,978 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:55 PM

Not to excuse Tyron Smith but what they flagged him for had been ignored by the refs on both teams all game long. I find it more than a little bit curious that they chose that exact moment to enforce the rules. I mean do people realize that this was the ONLY HOLDING PENALTY CALLED ON EITHER OFFENSE THE ENTIRE GAME!?!?! With less than a minute and a half left in the game NObody on iether offense had held? Yeah.. and my daughter's getting a unicorn for Christmas. The officiating the NFL has been bad for years.. but how they consistently manage to stick it to the Cowboys is no accident. That PI against Scandrick was a friggin joke. There was a LOT more contact on the one where they picked up the flag on Williams. I hate the refs.. I hate Goodell.. but sadly, I am starting to hate this team.. They have sucked the joy out of football for me..

My theory is that they do whatever they can to make games close, to promote great endings, stuff like that.    My bud I watch football w/ disagrees w/ me, but start paying attention when a team starts getting  a few scores up.     You'll see some holding calls and such to put an end to that drive and give the other team a shot to make it closer.      Ratings.  This has truly become moneyball.

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#17 Butchie

Butchie

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:57 PM

Actually this is not true. The Lions still had 2 timeouts which they used. We STILL should have just kneeled down though. We lost 4 yards on the two running plays.. The kneel downs would have probably only lost about the same.. In fact, Romo could have run around for 4-5 seconds BEFORE taking a knee and used more time AND avoided the penalty. The smart thing would have been to give it to DUnbar and let him run around for as long as possible then take a knee before being hit  three times in a row. Lose about 10 yards per play but eat up 10+ seconds per play. First down used 5 seconds.. If you use 10 seconds then they call timeout at 1:14. Do that again and it's 1:04.  Then on the third down just kneel. No need to take any chance of handing it off. That takes the clock down to 20 seconds... then you can punt it or maybe THEN kick the FG. Who cares?  Either way they get the ball back with < 20 seconds left and no timeouts. The point is you TAKE NO CHANCES OF A PENALTY.

Chess.. not checkers..

I agree that the refs in most cases seem to stick it to the Cowboys.   Your right, that call against Scandrick was absurd.  He touched the receiver and the guy took a dive.   And we all know that holding can be called on just about every play, but yet it's only called at a time when the Cowboys could have just about run out the clock.   I am still in shock over this one.

#18 Butchie

Butchie

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:15 PM

WHY NOT THROW ON FIRST DOWN WHEN THE LOINS,THIR FANS AND THE CHEERLEADERS WERE EXPECTING A RUNNING PLAY!!!!!!!! WE COULD HAVE GOT THE FIRST DOWN TO ICE THE GAME INSTEAD OF RUNNING ON THE FIRST TWO DOWNS GETTING A HOLDING PENALTY AND FORCED TO THROW ON THIRD DOWN!!!! THIS OFFENSE AND PREDICTABLE AND OFFENSIVE!!!!!!!!

Really, I am with you on this one.  When you can pick up a first down that will cement the victory, a team should do anything within their power to achieve that goal.  Just last week, the Saints did the very same thing with Brees handing the ball off 3 straight times and then punting to the Pats who marched down the field and won.  But think about this, in that situation, if Romo were to pass, even a very safe pass and somehow it was intercepted,  can you imagine what the Romo bashers like Faulk and Sanders would be saying today.  They would be having a field day.  I can't stand either of them two.   In their eyes, Romo and the Cowboys can't do anything right.

#19 GMO415

GMO415

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,639 posts
  • Location714

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

Natrlone,

Word! Without that stupid penalty, we burn clock down to 23 seconds. They probably would have still scored.....hahaha.

jesus_loves_cowboys__no_lighting_copy.jp

#20 PHILLYCOWBOY

PHILLYCOWBOY

Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationPHILADELPHIA PA

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

WE PLAY NOT TO LOOSE!!!PLAY TO WIN!!!! ONE FIRST DOWN WINS THE GAME,NO HOLDING PENALTY BECAUSE WE PASS ON FIRST DOWN,THE LIONS,THEIR FANS,THEIR CHEERLEADERS,THE T.V. PUBLIC KNOW WE ARE GOING TO RUN ON FIRST DOWN!!!!! DO NOT SETTLE FOR A FIELD GOAL AND LEAVE 1:02 ON THE CLOCK!!!!SCANDERICK GETS BEAT ONLY WHEN THE GAME IS ON THE LINE HE ALWAYS PLAYS GREAT IN THE FIRST THREE QUARTERS!!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users