You are here

Photo

2014 Salary caps

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 mrsouthpaw

mrsouthpaw

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,673 posts
  • LocationSomewhere around here

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

You see where we compare with our division as well with the entire NFL. We have a little work to do. Several teams have quite a bit to play with.

Hearing on here how we need to go after some of these big free agents next year isn't going to be as easy as it sounds. A lot of work will need to be done first. Restructuring contracts and cutting will be done and done quick. I see that calculator putting up some smoke if it hasn't already started.

016f9eaf-0759-465b-9553-fd3abee7f4a7.jpg

#2 JP_Balfour

JP_Balfour

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,953 posts
  • LocationMoberly, MO (temporarily)

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

You see where we compare with our division as well with the entire NFL. We have a little work to do. Several teams have quite a bit to play with.

Hearing on here how we need to go after some of these big free agents next year isn't going to be as easy as it sounds. A lot of work will need to be done first. Restructuring contracts and cutting will be done and done quick. I see that calculator putting up some smoke if it hasn't already started.

016f9eaf-0759-465b-9553-fd3abee7f4a7.jpg

go after fa's are you crazy?  We have been building through the draft and need to keep doing that....another solid draft next year and cutting some of the fat will make a big difference...that way we can potentially get out of cap hell by 2015 and have a solid young team

#3 Don

Don

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,064 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:50 PM

IIIIIIIIIIII

IIIIIIIII

IIII

WFKVUOB.gif

#4 couchcoach

couchcoach

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,452 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

One look at the East and it's easy to see why this was our opportunity.  Those other teams are going to continue to improve.

Creating this cap fiasco with the records we've had is beyond incomprehensible, it is also reprehensible.

#5 mrsouthpaw

mrsouthpaw

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,673 posts
  • LocationSomewhere around here

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:59 PM

go after fa's are you crazy?  We have been building through the draft and need to keep doing that....another solid draft next year and cutting some of the fat will make a big difference...that way we can potentially get out of cap hell by 2015 and have a solid young team

Me? I said that? It's been brought up by others to go after some. Perhaps you misread it? That's why I said others.

#6 JP_Balfour

JP_Balfour

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,953 posts
  • LocationMoberly, MO (temporarily)

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

Me? I said that? It's been brought up by others to go after some. Perhaps you misread it? That's why I said others.

i wasn't implying you bud...just saying....sorry for the confusion

#7 Dezy88

Dezy88

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:52 PM

I say put a price for AP, and get some DAWGS for defense.

Have to believe and work hard to achieve what you want most.

#8 willia451

willia451

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:00 PM

I look at that chart...........and it gives me the feeling that somebody just said f*** it.

LOL!!!

#9 northernvacowboysfan

northernvacowboysfan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:49 PM

ap is signed through 2018 isnt he?

#10 uvaballa

uvaballa

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:50 PM

Time to start shedding the big contracts. Take the hit in 2014 and look toward the future. They still need to pay some of the young guys like Dez and Tyron.

vKz7QS4.gif

#11 lordnate

lordnate

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,401 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:53 PM

Time to start shedding the big contracts. Take the hit in 2014 and look toward the future. They still need to pay some of the young guys like Dez and Tyron.

You can't afford to take big cap hits in years that you are already over the salary cap. That's the paradox. A lot of players with big contracts, also have lots of guaranteed money. Often times, the cap hit for cutting a player is larger than the cap hit for keeping the player.

#12 northernvacowboysfan

northernvacowboysfan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:53 PM

http://www.spotrac.c...drian-peterson/

#13 lordnate

lordnate

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,401 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:55 PM

Its unreasonable to get out of this salary cap mess by 2015. We are in worse shape then than we are in 2014. We'll have to tread very carefully and by 2016, we can be out of the mess if we play our cards right.

#14 uvaballa

uvaballa

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:01 PM

You can't afford to take big cap hits in years that you are already over the salary cap. That's the paradox. A lot of players with big contracts, also have lots of guaranteed money. Often times, the cap hit for cutting a player is larger than the cap hit for keeping the player.

Yeah I understand the cap and know letting guys go means they're remaining prorated signing bonus goes into that year. They should have already cut guys like Miles. I do not know every players cap hits but they should be able to let guys like Orton go and save money. If they cannot save money then of course they shouldn't cut a guy next year. I was making a more general statement.

vKz7QS4.gif

#15 DarrenWoodson

DarrenWoodson

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:02 PM

Its unreasonable to get out of this salary cap mess by 2015. We are in worse shape then than we are in 2014. We'll have to tread very carefully and by 2016, we can be out of the mess if we play our cards right.

The problem is we don't play our cards right.  We'll always get under the cap by restruction contracts using prorated bonuses over the life of that contract. The problem is that burdens your cap going forward.  It also makes those players with restructured contracts impossible to trade.    This wheeling and dealing has already caught up to us but it's just going to get worse. 

#16 jj17

jj17

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:05 PM

The point of this topic is moot.

No matter what you 'wish' for or 'think' should be done, JerryJones

will f it up. He's proven that time and time again.

The salary cap era started in 1994. By then, the boyz were in the midst of their

super bowls runs and Jones did nothing to continue that run because the core players

were already there.

Jones can't run a salary cap team!  He's proven it time and time and time again.

That's why the teams are mediocre at best and usually much much worse.

I mean he signed that choke artist romo to a really big extension.

The cowboys are always climning out of a salary cap mess Jones has created.

But at least he has that nice big stadium.......eh?

"Season ticket holder since 1982-----------

Jerry Jones! Please Sell the team to someone who cares about it more than they care about money and

themselves

Go Dallas! "

#17 unclepaul

unclepaul

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

Fans thinking/wanting to go after big name FA's is a direct result of JJ management. Some seem to think that is the way to build a team. FA's are other peoples trash.

that somebody would be Stephen Jones

I look at that chart...........and it gives me the feeling that somebody just said f*** it.

LOL!!!

#18 lordnate

lordnate

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,401 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:37 PM

Yeah I understand the cap and know letting guys go means they're remaining prorated signing bonus goes into that year. They should have already cut guys like Miles. I do not know every players cap hits but they should be able to let guys like Orton go and save money. If they cannot save money then of course they shouldn't cut a guy next year. I was making a more general statement.

The only player we can save a lot of money by cutting is DeMarcus Ware. After him, the next best options are Jeremy Parnell and Phil Costa. They each save $1.5 million if cut. However, if we sign a veteran replacement for either one, that's going to cut into that savings. Cutting Orton would only save $995k, even though his cap hit is over $4.3 million.

http://overthecap.co...wboys&Year=2014

As you can see, the only realistic way to get under the cap in 2014 is restructuring.

#19 uvaballa

uvaballa

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

The only player we can save a lot of money by cutting is DeMarcus Ware. After him, the next best options are Jeremy Parnell and Phil Costa. They each save $1.5 million if cut. However, if we sign a veteran replacement for either one, that's going to cut into that savings. Cutting Orton would only save $995k, even though his cap hit is over $4.3 million.

http://overthecap.co...wboys&Year=2014

As you can see, the only realistic way to get under the cap in 2014 is restructuring.

Thanks for the link, that helps. Yeah it looks like they will have to cut a few olinemen( maybe bernie, costa, parnell) to help with the cap, and restructure Romo's huge cap number. I'm curious what they're thinking about Ware's contract since they could save $7million. It sucks Miles doesn't save them much but I would still cut him.

So the offense accounts for about 55% of the total cap and the defense about 45%. I wonder if that's about average.

vKz7QS4.gif

#20 lordnate

lordnate

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,401 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

The problem is we don't play our cards right.  We'll always get under the cap by restruction contracts using prorated bonuses over the life of that contract. The problem is that burdens your cap going forward.  It also makes those players with restructured contracts impossible to trade.    This wheeling and dealing has already caught up to us but it's just going to get worse. 

This is true, but I think it stems from the fact that we have a horrible time evaluating talent. We have to wait for players to break out before we know they are good. Then we expect them to continue to play at peak performance through out the contract.

Take Miles Austin for example. He was considered the 3rd best receiver on the team at the beginning of his breakout season in 2009. Had we realized what talent he had, we could have extended his contract as a 3rd receiver, instead of a number 1 receiver, before he and his agent knew his market value. Instead, not knowing his talent level on, we waited until his market value was at its peak. That's why he's over paid. We pay for peak performance, but its unreasonable to expect a player to stay at peak performance for long. Marion Barber was the same way. He lead the league in broken tackles in 2007, got the big contract in 2008, and then did basically nothing.

Its like we don't ever plan for that drop off. We extended Flozell Adams when he was 33. We gave Newman a 6-year deal when he was 30. We traded for and signed Roy William assumingly based on that one good year he had in Detriot. He had one season where he had 1,300 yards, but never got over 1,000 in any other season. We always pay the premium.