On Now
Coming Up
  • Tue., Nov. 12, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Tue., Nov. 12, 2013 11:45AM - 12:25PM CST Live Jason Garrett Press Conference Jason Garrett speaks to the media during his daily press conference LIVE from Valley Ranch.
  • Tue., Nov. 12, 2013 1:00PM - 2:00PM CST Live Talkin' Cowboys

Join Mickey, Bryan, and Rowan as they breakdown all of the latest Cowboys news.

• Wed., Nov. 13, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Wed., Nov. 13, 2013 1:00PM - 2:00PM CST Live Talkin' Cowboys

• Thu., Nov. 14, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Thu., Nov. 14, 2013 4:45PM - 5:20PM CST Live On Air With DC Star Magazine Join Josh Ellis and Jeff Sullivan for an in-depth look into Dallas Cowboys Star Magazine.
  • Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 10:15AM - 10:40AM CST Live Jason Garrett Press Conference Jason Garrett speaks to the media LIVE from Valley Ranch.
  • Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 2:30PM - 3:30PM CST Live Fantasy Friday Join Rowan Kavner and Ed Cahill as they talk Fantasy Football.
  • Tue., Nov. 19, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Tue., Nov. 19, 2013 11:45AM - 12:25PM CST Live Jason Garrett Press Conference Jason Garrett speaks to the media during his daily press conference LIVE from Valley Ranch.
  • Tue., Nov. 19, 2013 1:00PM - 2:00PM CST Live Talkin' Cowboys

• Wed., Nov. 20, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.

Photo

SUPER BOWL V

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Aviator

Aviator

Amateur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationEl Paso, Texas

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:32 AM

January 17, 1971 was my first NFL game I watched till it's conclusion. The Baltimore Colts faced the Dallas Cowboys in the first Super Bowl played on artificial turf (Orange Bowl) in Miami. Many sports writers stated that based on so many turnovers, this game would be dubbed "The Blunder Bowl"
It is on this day, that I became a Dallas fan for life....The game itself would have an injustice that took place in the 3rd quarter, with Dallas leading 13-6, the Cowboys had a 1st & goal at the Colt 1YD line when Craig Morton handed off to Duane Thomas. As he crossed the goal line,he was hit by LB Mike Curtis & there was a pileup. Dallas center Dave Manders fell on the ball that would of gave the Cowboys a 20-6 lead but official Tom Fette signaled Coltsball. That was the INJUSTICE.
  • Motley Blue and Fullback32 like this

#2 oakclifford22

oakclifford22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:55 AM

January 17, 1971 was my first NFL game I watched till it's conclusion. The Baltimore Colts faced the Dallas Cowboys in the first Super Bowl played on artificial turf (Orange Bowl) in Miami. Many sports writers stated that based on so many turnovers, this game would be dubbed "The Blunder Bowl"
It is on this day, that I became a Dallas fan for life....The game itself would have an injustice that took place in the 3rd quarter, with Dallas leading 13-6, the Cowboys had a 1st & goal at the Colt 1YD line when Craig Morton handed off to Duane Thomas. As he crossed the goal line,he was hit by LB Mike Curtis & there was a pileup. Dallas center Dave Manders fell on the ball that would of gave the Cowboys a 20-6 lead but official Tom Fette signaled Coltsball. That was the INJUSTICE.

God, I envy you dude!! my first game was a superbowl loss to the steelers in 10, my first win was "midnight" in 'Nawlin's!! with Cliff Harris and Charlie Waters eatin' gumbo with Harvey and Randy!!! What a scene!!!! I was only 8, but it made me feel like a giant in a world of Cowboy haters'! I went to school so happy that year, I couldn't tell you what I was supposed to have learned!!! lmao!

#3 ChuckHowleyisyourDaddy

ChuckHowleyisyourDaddy

Professional

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLakeway, Texas

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:13 AM

Ain't that the truth. Giving Howley the MVP was the leagues way of saying, "sorry, for screwing you guys". That goaline play wasn't the only bad call that day, there were tons. We beat the Colts arses that day. We got beat by the the refs.
  • ab90 likes this

#4 Motley Blue

Motley Blue

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:27 PM

Even though I wasn't born until 1973 or became a Cowboys fan until 1981, I would still get retroactively outraged watching highlights of this game during the 1980s (usually on ESPN when they would marathon all the past Super Bowl recap shows the day before the Super Bowl).

The Cowboys should have won Super Bowl V and were obviously screwed royally on that goal-line call.

But I often think about how much history would have CHANGED if the Cowboys won Super Bowl V. I am sure they would still have had great success in the 1970s ... but would it be behind Craig Morton?

Would a Morton-led Super Bowl V victory have kept Roger Staubach on the sidelines for a few more seasons? I have no idea, but it is interesting to think about the "What Ifs."
  • ab90 likes this
"Toby Keith smells like a bucket of dead catfish." -- "Fake" Jerry Jones on 1310 The Ticket (September 12, 2011)

#5 Signalman Chief

Signalman Chief

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:40 AM

Super Bowl V was the first SB that was competitive, the first four you knew who was going to win with a minute to go. Mackey's TD, the fumble on the goal line, maybe if Staubach would have started the Cowboys would have had 6 titles....
  • ChuckHowleyisyourDaddy likes this

eagles0.jpg

#6 ChuckHowleyisyourDaddy

ChuckHowleyisyourDaddy

Professional

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLakeway, Texas

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:31 AM

Super Bowl V was the first SB that was competitive, the first four you knew who was going to win with a minute to go. Mackey's TD, the fumble on the goal line, maybe if Staubach would have started the Cowboys would have had 6 titles....

And Howley would be in the Hall.
  • Signalman Chief likes this

#7 Signalman Chief

Signalman Chief

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:07 PM

And Howley would be in the Hall.

Howley should have been in the HOF a long time ago. Him and Drew Pearson should be in Canton right now. Lynn Swann is in the HOF, but not Pearson, a true rip off....

eagles0.jpg

#8 ChuckHowleyisyourDaddy

ChuckHowleyisyourDaddy

Professional

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLakeway, Texas

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:31 PM

Howley should have been in the HOF a long time ago. Him and Drew Pearson should be in Canton right now. Lynn Swann is in the HOF, but not Pearson, a true rip off....

It's the bias of the east coast media. How can Curtis Martin get in before either Howley or Pearson?

#9 Signalman Chief

Signalman Chief

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:26 AM

It's the bias of the east coast media. How can Curtis Martin get in before either Howley or Pearson?

Swann real makes heated, Pearson played two more seasons, has 2500 more yards receiving, well see for yourself... http://en.wikipedia....rican_football)

eagles0.jpg

#10 ChuckHowleyisyourDaddy

ChuckHowleyisyourDaddy

Professional

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLakeway, Texas

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:47 AM

Swann real makes heated, Pearson played two more seasons, has 2500 more yards receiving, well see for yourself... http://en.wikipedia....rican_football)

Lynn Swann got in the Hall for the one play against us in the Super Bowl. Pathetic.
  • Signalman Chief likes this

#11 Signalman Chief

Signalman Chief

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

Lynn Swann got in the Hall for the one play against us in the Super Bowl. Pathetic.

Swann really had a below average career compared to Pearson, he had three great Super Games, he was just on the right place at the right time....
  • ChuckHowleyisyourDaddy likes this

eagles0.jpg

#12 ChuckHowleyisyourDaddy

ChuckHowleyisyourDaddy

Professional

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLakeway, Texas

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

Swann really had a below average career compared to Pearson, he had three great Super Games, he was just on the right place at the right time....

And playin' to the media, too.

#13 Motley Blue

Motley Blue

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:35 PM

I think Pearson and Howley both belong in the Hall along with Swann (even though I hate the Steelers and realize Swann didn't have that great of production in the regular season).

@ChuckHowleyisyourDaddy: I totally agree with you on Curtis Martin. Martin was a pretty good running back, but he wasn't Hall of Fame-caliber in my opinion. He was a solid yet very unspectatular player.
"Toby Keith smells like a bucket of dead catfish." -- "Fake" Jerry Jones on 1310 The Ticket (September 12, 2011)

#14 E22

E22

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

The refs were big factors in all three losses in the Dallas SBs.

#15 Fullback32

Fullback32

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:04 AM

A phantom pass interference call on Benny Barnes didn't hurt Swann either. I'll never forget that. I hate Pittsburgh with every bone in my body.
  • Motley Blue, Thaddeus and E22 like this

"Walt Garrison is the toughest football player I ever played against or coached."- Dan Reeves

Posted Image

#16 DCsince67

DCsince67

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:01 AM

I was already a fan by this game but i recall being so mad because of a blown call by the officials where the Colts threw a pass and it was tipped by one reciever to another. At the time that was a illegal play, the refs said a Dallas DB had touched it in the middle of its flight, replays showed that wasn't the case but it was close. I was 12 years old at the time and it lterally ruined my year, at least until girls became popular a few months later.

#17 fgoodwin

fgoodwin

Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:57 AM

Ain't that the truth. Giving Howley the MVP was the leagues way of saying, "sorry, for screwing you guys". That goaline play wasn't the only bad call that day, there were tons. We beat the Colts arses that day. We got beat by the the refs.

The League doesn't vote the MVP -- that award was (and still is) decided by the sportswriters covering the game. The vote in SB V was taken before the game was over when the writers thought the Cowboys had it won. When the Colts came back to win it in the last few moments, it was too late to redo the vote.
  • Motley Blue likes this
--
Dallas Cowboy Books Blog
http://www.facebook....CowboyBooksBlog

#18 Aviator

Aviator

Amateur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationEl Paso, Texas

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:39 AM

The refs were big factors in all three losses in the Dallas SBs.

Here are some of the BAD calls against Dallas in the following SBs...SB V= Colts are rewarded the ball in the endzone after a Dallas TD...SB X= Mel Blount cracks Golden Richards ribs on a cheapshot...
SB XIII= Officaial Fred Swearigen throws a pass inter/ flag on Benny Barnes, Charlie Waters is screened by an offical & is prevented from tackling Franco Harris on a TD run.

#19 Rawhide 74

Rawhide 74

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts
  • Location15 miles from the Linc

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:45 AM

This was also my first game . I was 9 yrs old and remember Bob Lilly throwing his helmet in disgust which was a big thing back then. I was hooked after that and was lucky enough to see what I feel was the best in all sports for the next 10 yrs. What a great team we had

#20 mch0862@yahoo.com

mch0862@yahoo.com

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad New Mexico

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

That was my first season being a Cowboy fan. I was 12 years old. I cried like a little girl after that game. Stupid Graig Morton!! Stupid Referees! Stupid Billy Ray Smith!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users