• Please log in to reply
507 replies to this topic

#1 boutteman

boutteman

• Moderators
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationSummerlin, NV

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

* While everyone has a right to their opinion, let it be known that if you choose to contribute to this thread it will be done in some mature manner and radical/perverse comments will be removed *

"We are.... Penn State" was one of the more popular threads on the old forum, even before the horrible news was uncovered. With the release of the (first wave of) NCAA sanctions, I thought it was about time to re-open it for discussion.

Your thoughts on the sanctions?

Your thoughts on if the BigTen conference will take additional action?

Your thoughts on the football programs future?

http://espn.go.com/c...ins-dating-1998
  • expeptigh and NERAPRORISP like this

#2 Quickdraw

Quickdraw

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

I think it was the right choice to remove the statue. Some may not agree but by leaving it, it would be a grim reminder to those who were abused, not to mention those who were and still are across the entire country. I'm just glad I didn't have to make that decision.

As for sanctions, I saw on the news this morning that they're not counting Paterno's wins from '98-'11 which means he's no longer the winningest NCAA coach.

I've already read that they're contemplating doing away with the football program. I'm not sure that is reasonable. I'm sure some may justify it but I just can't see it. However the school probably should get a couple of years off, then re-evaluate the program.

I think Penn State football should live on but I also think they need to step back out of the limelight and work on some serious PR.
  • Bighankstud likes this

#3 .G2.

.G2.

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,538 posts
  • LocationPJG Investigation Unit

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

This is just my opinion, but I think things would have been different up to this point had Paterno not passed away.
I hurt for the victums most of all, I can't say enough about the lifetime of pain they must go through and for no reason except a selfish, sick and twisted man. I have zero tolerance for such people.
That all being said, I also feel bad for the students and the athlete's who in many ways are going to suffer as well. It's nothing they did, now if they want a solid chance to compete they have to transfer? That's unfair to me. Punish the people who were involved in the acts and the cover up. Not innocent kids. I just don't agree that the future recruiting classes have to suffer.
  • SSC and Cwby2dayIDIE! like this

#4 Quickdraw

Quickdraw

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

Wow, 60 million dollars in fines, 4 years out of the NCAA finals, taking the statue down, stripping Paterno of 14 seasons of wins. All that was left is getting rid of their program; but that didn't happen. However it might as well. How many aspiring high school football players will want to play for Penn now? I know I wouldn't.

#5 boutteman

boutteman

• Moderators
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationSummerlin, NV

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

Quick, I think you touched on something that a lot of people aren't getting, to why these sanctions are taking place... who would have wanted to play for PSU 14 years ago?!? Their program gained a significant advantage by covering up this issue and the football business went on as usual... easily collecting a net of over $1 BILLION in revenue during those years. If we were to go back in time, PSU would have immediately started to lose recruits and program dominance if this horrible news spread in 1998. Just imagine being Lavar Arrington, one of the top LB recruits in all of America... you actually think he would have stayed once he found out his D coordinator was an abuser of that nature and the NCAA gave him a "get out of hell" card free with the opportunity to keep eligibilty in an immediate transfer!?!

#6 .G2.

.G2.

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 20,538 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

It's still not fair to punish students or future students.

#7 boutteman

boutteman

• Moderators
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationSummerlin, NV

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

It's still not fair to punish students or future students.

Unfortunately, that's life in the business of NCAA sanctions. From everything i can remember they have always come after the fact. The SMU kids decades ago didnt deserve what they got b/c Eric Dic*erson was paid to play, what did Matt Barkley do to deserve not playing for a championship the first 3 years at USC??
The students and their education are basically getting zero punishment above any that is, has, and will come from general society. They are still able to get an education, and the athletes there to play football at least "have a choice" to either stay or go play somewhere else without losing a year... the abused victims had "no choice".
  • Bighankstud likes this

#8 .G2.

.G2.

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 20,538 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

Unfortunately, that's life in the business of NCAA sanctions. From everything i can remember they have always come after the fact. The SMU kids decades ago didnt deserve what they got b/c Eric Dic*erson was paid to play, what did Matt Barkley do to deserve not playing for a championship the first 3 years at USC??
The students and their education are basically getting zero punishment above any that is, has, and will come from general society. They are still able to get an education, and the athletes there to play football at least "have a choice" to either stay or go play somewhere else without losing a year... the abused victims had "no choice".

At least they can transfer, if not for that it would be total BS. I understand what you're saying, same thing w/ USC and Reggie Bush I believe. Well after he left school.

#9 gp_cowpolk

gp_cowpolk

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 25,015 posts
  • Locationlost

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

Not sure about all of the facts but did'nt Smu go something similar

jYUkRfj.jpg

#10 boutteman

boutteman

• Moderators
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationSummerlin, NV

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:04 PM

Not sure about all of the facts but did'nt Smu go something similar

They actually got the "death penalty" in which they had no football program for about 2 years.

#11 .G2.

.G2.

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 20,538 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:06 PM

They actually got the "death penalty" in which they had no football program for about 2 years.

Wow, that woud destroy a schools program.

#12 karmaisabeautifulthing

karmaisabeautifulthing

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,372 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:23 PM

The whole situation is just horrible. JoePa's statue shouldn't of come down, it's just a statue. JoePa's now ranked #12 with Bobby B being the most winningest coach (which the NCAA took away 12 games from). They also took JoePa's name off of the library and put his wifes name Sue to replace it.

I feel for all the football player's who played so hard in those 13yrs, just to have it all erased. Again, the young ones suffer, on both sides. They shouldn't of been punished, the entire faculity should of been punished along with the big wigs. The kids shouldn't have to pay for something they had no knowledge of. All the top wigs, including the board of trustee's should have to pay. Let's not forget governor Corbett.

IMO, the penalties imposed punish too many people who had nothing to do with the scandal. Why would the kids even want to play for PS now, with no bowl....it's just practice. I will stick by my school no matter what, it's in the blood.

My heart goes out to all of the victims, I'm glad the dirty laundry finally surfaced, PS will survive this, afterall, they are the linebacker's factory.

#13 Chetos

Chetos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:41 AM

The whole situation is just horrible. JoePa's statue shouldn't of come down, it's just a statue. JoePa's now ranked #12 with Bobby B being the most winningest coach (which the NCAA took away 12 games from). They also took JoePa's name off of the library and put his wifes name Sue to replace it.

I feel for all the football player's who played so hard in those 13yrs, just to have it all erased. Again, the young ones suffer, on both sides. They shouldn't of been punished, the entire faculity should of been punished along with the big wigs. The kids shouldn't have to pay for something they had no knowledge of. All the top wigs, including the board of trustee's should have to pay. Let's not forget governor Corbon.

IMO, the penalties imposed punish too many people who had nothing to do with the scandal. Why would the kids even want to play for PS now, with no bowl....it's just practice. I will stick by my school no matter what, it's in the blood.

My heart goes out to all of the victims, I'm glad the dirty laundry finally surfaced, PS will survive this, afterall, they are the linebacker's factory.

When I saw this, this morning, I thought of you first. I was very curious as to what you would think about this. this punishment is very, very harsh. It seems like the NCAA wanted to make a big statement and they did. they want to hurt PS where it counts and that's in it's pocketbook. You are right, though. PS will survive and in 10 years, it wont be ever forgotten but they will b e able to move on.

#14 bware94

bware94

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationE-GIRLS COUNTRY

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:09 AM

should have shut it down for 2 years,what happened at PSU was much worse the what happen at smu. An FOR the kids who had nothing to do with it,life is not fair deal with it,people live with unfair things everyday
JUST BECAUSE A PERSON IS SILENT DOSEN'T MEAN THEY HAVE NOTHING TO SAY,IT ONLY MEANS THERE DONE WASTING THERE TIME ON U !!!

when i die burry me butt up so every e-girl fan can kiss it.....

SHEEP WILL B LED TO THE SLAUGHTER BY THE HEAD PUPPET MASTER
Posted Image

#15 karmaisabeautifulthing

karmaisabeautifulthing

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 19,372 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:32 AM

When I saw this, this morning, I thought of you first. I was very curious as to what you would think about this. this punishment is very, very harsh. It seems like the NCAA wanted to make a big statement and they did. they want to hurt PS where it counts and that's in it's pocketbook. You are right, though. PS will survive and in 10 years, it wont be ever forgotten but they will b e able to move on.

Awh, thank you for thinking of me. $60 million wasn't the harsh part, that's just change for PS, the harsh part IMO is the kids not being able to play in a bowl, why play at all when there's no trophy at the end. The NCAA punished the wrong ones. :(

#16 karmaisabeautifulthing

karmaisabeautifulthing

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 19,372 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:36 AM

should have shut it down for 2 years,what happened at PSU was much worse the what happen at smu. An FOR the kids who had nothing to do with it,life is not fair deal with it,people live with unfair things everyday

Awh, thank you for thinking of me. $60 million wasn't the harsh part, that's just change for PS, the harsh part IMO is the kids not being able to play in a bowl, why play at all when there's no trophy at the end. The NCAA punished the wrong ones. The NCAA IMO, just wanted to make society happy. That's all I'm going to post on this subject. It's heartbreaking to talk about. :(

#17 bware94

bware94

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

THE PROBLEM HERE IS WHO CARES ABOUT THE FOOTBALL PROGAM,WHAT ABOUT THE VICTIMS WHAT KIND OF LIFE DO THEY GET TO LOOK FORWARD TO......THE GAMES THEY TOOK AWAY FOR POOR OL PSU......WHO CARES......TOOK THE POOR STATUE DOWN. WHO GIVES A HECK.

DOES ALL THAT MATTER TO ANY OF U???????? FOR REAL,WE R TALKING ABOUT CHILDRENS LIVES NEVER THE SAME AGAIN.

DISGRACE TO PSU AND EVERYONE WHO HAD A PART IN IT,SHOULD ALL BE IN HELL.

{edited by boutteman}
  • Bighankstud likes this
JUST BECAUSE A PERSON IS SILENT DOSEN'T MEAN THEY HAVE NOTHING TO SAY,IT ONLY MEANS THERE DONE WASTING THERE TIME ON U !!!

Posted Image

#18 Chetos

Chetos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

THE PROBLEM HERE IS WHO CARES ABOUT THE FOOTBALL PROGAM,WHAT ABOUT THE VICTIMS WHAT KIND OF LIFE DO THEY GET TO LOOK FORWARD TO......THE GAMES THEY TOOK AWAY FOR POOR OL PSU......WHO ** CARES......TOOK THE POOR STATUE DOWN. WHO GIVES A RATS *****.........

DOES ALL THAT MATTER TO ANY OF U???????? FOR REAL,WE R TALKING ABOUT CHILDRENS LIVES NEVER THE SAME AGAIN.

F PSU AN EVERYONE WHO HAD A PART IN IT,SHOULD ALL BE HUNG AN ROT IN HELL.

I agree that all of those involved should not waste our justice systems time and resources and be thrown into an incenerator so they can receive their final judgement. Whoever their are people in PS that will be punished who had nothing to do with this. This thread is about PS. No one is downplaying what Sandusky did to those children. That school has teachers who had nothing to do with this. With kids choosing elsewhere now, lost revenue in bowl games and up front 60 M, teachers may lose their jobs. You are yelling for people to be punished. Yes those involved should be and receive no mercy. But this is infecting more innocent people. Is that what you want?

#19 oakclifford22

oakclifford22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

the community of happy valley would never survive a 2 yr loss of football. the hotels, restaurants, all local businesses would be seriously hammered by the sudden loss of income. as far as the statue and the wins and all the glory, I say it was rightfully stripped away. bowl games gone for four years, loss of scholarships, penalties as far as I'm concerned hits directly at the "main source" of the problem, THE ALUMNI!! they are the ones who contributed to the cover up, laundered contributions through "second mile" (which I believe should be shut down by the way!!) directly from THE ALUMNI!!
Penn State got off easy and they know it.......60 mil. is nothing when they get 240 mil from the alumni anually. everyone wants to go after the head, but the body has been sick for waaaaay too long. Penn State is an NFL team! they pay and recruit so systematically, that it's almost like a MLB team in it's exactness of recruiting local talent.
the students are being punished so they will remember what THEIR ALUMNI allowed to happen when they THEMSELVES are the alumni.........when ANY sports program gets so twisted in importance that it will cover up a crime of this magnitude to avoid A SPORTS penalty!!!, then I think it's time for a serious shake up of the status quo........
I liken it to a company of soldiers in a boot camp. one guy messes up, and they all have to suffer, and anyone who complains about it, can find the door.
  • Bighankstud likes this

#20 bware94

bware94

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

I agree that all of those involved should not waste our justice systems time and resources and be thrown into an incenerator so they can receive their final judgement. Whoever their are people in PS that will be punished who had nothing to do with this. This thread is about PS. No one is downplaying what Sandusky did to those children. That school has teachers who had nothing to do with this. With kids choosing elsewhere now, lost revenue in bowl games and up front 60 M, teachers may lose their jobs. You are yelling for people to be punished. Yes those involved should be and receive no mercy. But this is infecting more innocent people. Is that what you want?

It sucks but to try an make things right many people may have to suffer for what a few dirt bags let go,,,,,,,,,ITS LIFE ITS NOT ALWAYS FAIR TO EVERY1

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users