• Please log in to reply
555 replies to this topic

#21 Chetos

Chetos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

It sucks but to try an make things right many people may have to suffer for what a few dirt bags let go,,,,,,,,,ITS LIFE ITS NOT ALWAYS FAIR TO EVERY1

It sucks but to try an make things right many people may have to suffer for what a few dirt bags let go,,,,,,,,,ITS LIFE ITS NOT ALWAYS FAIR TO EVERY1

So you are fine with collateral damage?
  • expeptigh likes this

#22 bware94

bware94

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationE-GIRLS COUNTRY

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

life is not fair thats all i can tell u............go ask the victims how they feel.............u know my opinion. I WILL LEAVE IT AT THAT
JUST BECAUSE A PERSON IS SILENT DOSEN'T MEAN THEY HAVE NOTHING TO SAY,IT ONLY MEANS THERE DONE WASTING THERE TIME ON U !!!

when i die burry me butt up so every e-girl fan can kiss it.....

SHEEP WILL B LED TO THE SLAUGHTER BY THE HEAD PUPPET MASTER
Posted Image

#23 boutteman

boutteman

• Moderators
  • 7,336 posts
  • LocationSummerlin, NV

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

bware - just a reminder that even though this subject easily brings out the emotions, please try to be aware of the language you use (even if you are covering it up). the guys over at valley ranch really want us to utilize this new software to help with how bad the profanity was getting on the old boards. thanks.

#24 Chetos

Chetos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

life is not fair thats all i can tell u............go ask the victims how they feel.............u know my opinion. I WILL LEAVE IT AT THAT

Ok, so everyone must pay for this. Even those affected by this originally (honest folks working around the college) now must pay again with the possibility of losing their jobs due to students going elsewhere. Seems fair to me.

#25 N1DCFAN

N1DCFAN

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

Total disgrace. Getting what they deserve.
  • Bighankstud likes this
Go USA!!! Go Cowboys!!! Go Mavericks!!! Go Rangers!!! Go Irish!!! Go Stars!!!

#26 boutteman

boutteman

• Moderators
  • 7,336 posts
  • LocationSummerlin, NV

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

I was driving into work this morning listening to Mike & Mike on espn. They were interviewing Brett Musburger. Let's just say it irritated me... b/c he nearly came close to the exact reason with what went wrong at PSU and doesn't even have a clue = kinda' like his overuse and abuse of saying "the honey badger" during last year's title game when I'd imagine everyone in the world wanted him to shutup after saying it for the 20th time or whatever. Anyway, I know he has ties to the BigTen and Pac12 way of thought, and with being immersed in the culture as long as he has I can only assume the reality is hard for him to absorb. But before I get off point, he was making the typical argument that this was a crime issue and not a PSU football issue (straight out of JoePa's mouth, so no surprise who he probably looked-up to his entire life). And he clearly took a stance against the NCAA for even getting involved in the issue and began whinning about the PSU seniors that are there in the football program (ones without real NFL futures) and how it is such an injustice to them.

Puke! Let me be very clear in my personal experience of environment and culture, an experience in which I have been afforded to visit about 40 of our 50 states and be immersed in roughly 35 cultures around the world.... with speaking in regard to educational environments I have always classified 2 places in being very similar to how the people in the community perceive themselves versus how the general public perceives them. One of them was in College Station, TX and the other was in State College, PA. Obviously I am talking about Texas A&M and Penn St. Now, the point of me bringing all this up is to express (to people especially like Musburger) that we were not just dealing with a crime and/or its connection or disconnection with a certain program, but dealing with a culture that enabled it to happen (even if totally unknowingly by the masses within said culture).

The NCAA 100% was responsible for taking action. They are supposed to be the guardians against unfair advantages and support a code of ethics within all collegiate practices. Forget about the misguidedness that some perceive the NCAA had no right to get involved due to the crime... that I agree with = a crime is a crime and it will get dealt with by the judicial system. THE REASON PSU WAS GETTING SANCTIONED WAS DUE TO THE COVER-UP OF THE CRIME, PRIMARILY BY HEAD MEMBERS DIRECTLY INVOLVED WITH THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM, AND PRIMARILY FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM TO CONTINUE WITHOUT ANY DISTRACTION.

What idiots like Musburger fail to realize is that PSU started creating an unfair advantage for themselves in 1998 (as far as we know). By covering up this mess they were afforded the opportunity at continuing to run the recruiting, the program, and the money-making machine. Obtaining top recruits during this time and divulging in all the luxuries brought to them by their billions of dollars of funds running through the system = they created an unfair advantage on the field for 2 decades = A DIRECT NO-NO WHEN IT COMES TO BREAKING NCAA RULES.

In reference to some of the penalties:
- I think the withdrawal of wins goes hand-in-hand with how most feel about what would have happened if PSU took care of their business ethics 14 years ago. Obviously they wouldn't have lost all those games, but how would one ever decided if they would have just avergaed losing 40%, 70%, 55%...? Just getting rid of them all was a clear punishment on that end.
- The $60M is chump change and I for one think it easily could have been exceeded. That value is only an estimated yearly net given out by the university, without taking into regard many other factors and contributions. It is not foolish to think PSU has a quarter of a billion dollars flowing from their program's existence each year. So to probably put it in a more layman perspective, imagine basically stealing $6,000 and only having to pay $60 back.
- The Bowl penalities and scholarship removals are a direct hit to "the culture" for the purpose of letting the university know they are getting knocked down from their high-horse of thought, giving a damaged perspective to something that was/is proven to be overly worshipped in the wrong manner, or at least to the wrong extent.
- And for all those complaining about the current players, students, faculties, community/state businesses: you dance at the devil's illegal party, you all go down when the cops show up (even if you thought the party was legit). We all know the players have an out if they want to take it. The students are there for an education... an education that has been backed and improved through unjust absorption of funds, yet no new buildings or technologies are getting torn down that were paid for by the program, so just be glad that you get to go to such a resourceful and vast place of study. The teacher's jobs/salaries won't get touched... it's amazing to me how many in the general public have no idea how much money actual goes through a place like PSU. And for the community businesses that are going to take a hit, just be thankful that no one is asking for you to repay on all the false business you earned for two decades!

Like dbrp said, PSU will recover in time (my guess is after 2020)... they just need to start taking those steps forward so they can make this time the past.
  • Bighankstud likes this

#27 Quickdraw

Quickdraw

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,261 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

I was reading this morning, an opinion of one of the beat writers that he felt the sanctions were unfair that they were handed down by the NCAA. Apparently he felt the court system should have been handing down punishments.

It's a tough call because if nothing is done, those adament about punishment will be ticked off. By the same token, if something is done, as it was, those who are against it will be ticked off.

It's a lose/lose situation and the ones that suffer are the future students.
  • SSC likes this

#28 karmaisabeautifulthing

karmaisabeautifulthing

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,372 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:18 PM

I was driving into work this morning listening to Mike & Mike on espn. They were interviewing Brett Musburger. Let's just say it irritated me... b/c he nearly came close to the exact reason with what went wrong at PSU and doesn't even have a clue = kinda' like his overuse and abuse of saying "the honey badger" during last year's title game when I'd imagine everyone in the world wanted him to shutup after saying it for the 20th time or whatever. Anyway, I know he has ties to the BigTen and Pac12 way of thought, and with being immersed in the culture as long as he has I can only assume the reality is hard for him to absorb. But before I get off point, he was making the typical argument that this was a crime issue and not a PSU football issue (straight out of JoePa's mouth, so no surprise who he probably looked-up to his entire life). And he clearly took a stance against the NCAA for even getting involved in the issue and began whinning about the PSU seniors that are there in the football program (ones without real NFL futures) and how it is such an injustice to them.

Puke! Let me be very clear in my personal experience of environment and culture, an experience in which I have been afforded to visit about 40 of our 50 states and be immersed in roughly 35 cultures around the world.... with speaking in regard to educational environments I have always classified 2 places in being very similar to how the people in the community perceive themselves versus how the general public perceives them. One of them was in College Station, TX and the other was in State College, PA. Obviously I am talking about Texas A&M and Penn St. Now, the point of me bringing all this up is to express (to people especially like Musburger) that we were not just dealing with a crime and/or its connection or disconnection with a certain program, but dealing with a culture that enabled it to happen (even if totally unknowingly by the masses within said culture).

The NCAA 100% was responsible for taking action. They are supposed to be the guardians against unfair advantages and support a code of ethics within all collegiate practices. Forget about the misguidedness that some perceive the NCAA had no right to get involved due to the crime... that I agree with = a crime is a crime and it will get dealt with by the judicial system. THE REASON PSU WAS GETTING SANCTIONED WAS DUE TO THE COVER-UP OF THE CRIME, PRIMARILY BY HEAD MEMBERS DIRECTLY INVOLVED WITH THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM, AND PRIMARILY FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM TO CONTINUE WITHOUT ANY DISTRACTION.

What idiots like Musburger fail to realize is that PSU started creating an unfair advantage for themselves in 1998 (as far as we know). By covering up this mess they were afforded the opportunity at continuing to run the recruiting, the program, and the money-making machine. Obtaining top recruits during this time and divulging in all the luxuries brought to them by their billions of dollars of funds running through the system = they created an unfair advantage on the field for 2 decades = A DIRECT NO-NO WHEN IT COMES TO BREAKING NCAA RULES.

In reference to some of the penalties:
- I think the withdrawal of wins goes hand-in-hand with how most feel about what would have happened if PSU took care of their business ethics 14 years ago. Obviously they wouldn't have lost all those games, but how would one ever decided if they would have just avergaed losing 40%, 70%, 55%...? Just getting rid of them all was a clear punishment on that end.
- The $60M is chump change and I for one think it easily could have been exceeded. That value is only an estimated yearly net given out by the university, without taking into regard many other factors and contributions. It is not foolish to think PSU has a quarter of a billion dollars flowing from their program's existence each year. So to probably put it in a more layman perspective, imagine basically stealing $6,000 and only having to pay $60 back.
- The Bowl penalities and scholarship removals are a direct hit to "the culture" for the purpose of letting the university know they are getting knocked down from their high-horse of thought, giving a damaged perspective to something that was/is proven to be overly worshipped in the wrong manner, or at least to the wrong extent.
- And for all those complaining about the current players, students, faculties, community/state businesses: you dance at the devil's illegal party, you all go down when the cops show up (even if you thought the party was legit). We all know the players have an out if they want to take it. The students are there for an education... an education that has been backed and improved through unjust absorption of funds, yet no new buildings or technologies are getting torn down that were paid for by the program, so just be glad that you get to go to such a resourceful and vast place of study. The teacher's jobs/salaries won't get touched... it's amazing to me how many in the general public have no idea how much money actual goes through a place like PSU. And for the community businesses that are going to take a hit, just be thankful that no one is asking for you to repay on all the false business you earned for two decades!

Like dbrp said, PSU will recover in time (my guess is after 2020)... they just need to start taking those steps forward so they can make this time the past.

:D

#29 oakclifford22

oakclifford22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,797 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:32 PM

:D

yeah, I couldn't have said it any better (though I tried), I hope you weren't offended by my opinion, I was so

enamoured

with this post that I didn't want to respond until I heard your response first. I respect you in every way Dalz and I know you love your school. But I can't help but say "he hit the nail on the head" with that one..........excellent post boutteman and THAT'S all I got to say on this subject.
  • Bighankstud likes this

#30 karmaisabeautifulthing

karmaisabeautifulthing

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 19,372 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:15 AM

yeah, I couldn't have said it any better (though I tried), I hope you weren't offended by my opinion, I was so

enamoured

with this post that I didn't want to respond until I heard your response first. I respect you in every way Dalz and I know you love your school. But I can't help but say "he hit the nail on the head" with that one..........excellent post boutteman and THAT'S all I got to say on this subject.

:) You my friend are a class act, including a few others in this thread. I respect everyone's opinion, it's only fair. I may not agree with it, but it's how they feel on the situation.

No matter what, I will bleed blue and white forever, it's what Pennsylvanians do. It's in the blood, just like the Cowboys. In fact, we'll be going up this fall to see a game and tailgate with some friends.

My dear emmittstaubach is heart broken over this ordeal with PS. I know he's avoiding this thread, but I'm sure in time, he'll write a few lines.

#31 diehardblues

diehardblues

Landry Hat

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,161 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:34 AM

Excellent post boutteman!!

The NCAA now has set precedence in a fashion never seen before. It will be interesting to see how they use this type of enforcement in the future.

Unfortunately with what happenned to SMU many feel the NCAA will never enforce the Death Penalty again and I think they should have at Penn St .
  • Bighankstud likes this

:D  :lol: "RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY:rolleyes:  :wub: 

#32 .G2.

.G2.

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,904 posts
  • LocationPJG Investigation Unit

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:04 PM

boutteman wrote:

What idiots like Musburger fail to realize is that PSU started creating an unfair advantage for themselves in 1998 (as far as we know). By covering up this mess they were afforded the opportunity at continuing to run the recruiting, the program, and the money-making machine. Obtaining top recruits during this time and divulging in all the luxuries brought to them by their billions of dollars of funds running through the system = they created an unfair advantage on the field for 2 decades = A DIRECT NO-NO WHEN IT COMES TO BREAKING NCAA RULES

I agree with this. If they were not covering up the acts, they would have been punished at the time and not 15 years later. Also, it may have saved some of the victums from even experiencing it.
The bottom line is this whole situation is not the NCAA's fault. They didn't create this mess. They didn't break the law, rules and hurt and ruin lives. They HAVE to take action. It's not perfect, but they are being blamed for a lot of hatred and the NCAA didn't do anything.

I will add that it would be real nice for the NCAA to take care of the victums, their families and any students and/or athletes who want to transfer. Hook them up with a scholarship or the expenses.

#33 karmaisabeautifulthing

karmaisabeautifulthing

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 19,372 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:54 PM

JoePa will always be loved by most.....and hated by least. The football team will stick by the man that coached them the best.

“My opinion of him hasn't changed at all," senior defensive tackle Jordan Hill said. "I'm still a big supporter of Coach Paterno. He's one of the reasons why I came here. Nobody's perfect. No man is perfect at all."

Said junior running back Silas Redd: "He's the best college football coach of all time. That's all that matters, really. They didn't know him like we knew him. Opinions are opinions. Everybody is going to have one."

In terms of sanctions, senior quarterback Matt McGloin, among others, “Whatever happens, happens,” he said.

sop****re defensive back Adrian Amos said. “I’m not too worried about it. I’m just playing and working out and getting prepared for the season.”

#34 oakclifford22

oakclifford22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,797 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:11 PM

JoePa will always be loved by most.....and hated by least. The football team will stick by the man that coached them the best.

“My opinion of him hasn't changed at all," senior defensive tackle Jordan Hill said. "I'm still a big supporter of Coach Paterno. He's one of the reasons why I came here. Nobody's perfect. No man is perfect at all."

Said junior running back Silas Redd: "He's the best college football coach of all time. That's all that matters, really. They didn't know him like we knew him. Opinions are opinions. Everybody is going to have one."

In terms of sanctions, senior quarterback Matt McGloin, among others, “Whatever happens, happens,” he said.

sop****re defensive back Adrian Amos said. “I’m not too worried about it. I’m just playing and working out and getting prepared for the season.”

yeah, I noticed they were sticking together.....pretty much a Penn State "staple"......and the main reason I think they could beat most NFL teams right now. given the city the state and the people I don't think "bowl bans" are gonna bring this program down......there is too much greatness being "milled" from the lower ranks to provide an "immediate" impact on their football program. the only real threat they face is their opponents on the schedule, and that won't start to hamper this perennial power until well into their fourth year.
  • karmaisabeautifulthing likes this

#35 .G2.

.G2.

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,904 posts
  • LocationPJG Investigation Unit

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:07 AM

I saw where some of the football team players said they were staying and a coupe bad guys can't stop them from turning this around. I have a ton of respect for KIDS who have the decency and balls to say they are staying and fighting the fight.
  • karmaisabeautifulthing likes this

#36 boutteman

boutteman

• Moderators
  • 7,336 posts
  • LocationSummerlin, NV

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

Sources: Silas Redd, USC meet
http://espn.go.com/c...ans-sources-say

#37 diehardblues

diehardblues

Landry Hat

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,161 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

I'm for adopting a new saying for the Nittany Lions.

We Were Penn State.

:D  :lol: "RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY:rolleyes:  :wub: 

#38 boutteman

boutteman

• Moderators
  • 7,336 posts
  • LocationSummerlin, NV

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:58 PM

just noticed your avatar greg, thats pretty funny!

#39 karmaisabeautifulthing

karmaisabeautifulthing

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 19,372 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:25 PM

I'm for adopting a new saying for the Nittany Lions.

We Were Penn State.

That's as old as the hills. Came out when we lost games.

#40 karmaisabeautifulthing

karmaisabeautifulthing

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 19,372 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

Sources: Silas Redd, USC meet
http://espn.go.com/c...ans-sources-say

Exiting player. Hope he makes the move. At least he'll have a chance in post season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users