196 replies to this topic

#101 Kevo

Kevo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

Excuses for Tony's mediocrity...The Cowboys had Andre Gurode, Leonard Davis, Flozell Adams, Kyle Kosier and even Larry Allen at one point....the one thing that remains constant in this equation is Tony Romo.....and Jerry Jones

Larry Alllen played one full season with Romo, Davis was overrated and had one good season in 07, same goes for Gurode which is why he and Davis were release shortly after. You have not a clue what you are speaking of. 07 was the only year the o-line was decent in the past 7 years opposed to 2013. So your argument is Romo should have won it all in that one year he had a decent line? I remember Crayton dropping a pass to his chest in that game that would have put the game away, but it was somehow Romo's fault? Until Romo has a coach and GM committed to a running game to be balanced, and a average D along with a decent line, don't expect Romo to do anything worth wild, no QB can under those circumstances. Look at the SB winner since Romo has started, name one who had the same scenario as Romo but won. None will apply. Romo is the scapegoat, and you follow right along with it. Romo is the constant because he makes plays and helps us win. JJ meanwhile is more interested in making poor decisions in player evaluation, cap issues and both of those are the biggest reason we are not compettative on D, but this is somehow Romo's fault??? GTFOH. You have not a clue, and the more to talk the funnier it is.

• ROMO NOT THE PROBLEM likes this

NS_14COWSTITANS7_39774029.JPG

#102 G.2

G.2

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,617 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

Larry Alllen played one full season with Romo, Davis was overrated and had one good season in 07, same goes for Gurode which is why he and Davis were release shortly after. You have not a clue what you are speaking of. 07 was the only year the o-line was decent in the past 7 years opposed to 2013. So your argument is Romo should have won it all in that one year he had a decent line? I remember Crayton dropping a pass to his chest in that game that would have put the game away, but it was somehow Romo's fault? Until Romo has a coach and GM committed to a running game to be balanced, and a average D along with a decent line, don't expect Romo to do anything worth wild, no QB can under those circumstances. Look at the SB winner since Romo has started, name one who had the same scenario as Romo but won. None will apply. Romo is the scapegoat, and you follow right along with it. Romo is the constant because he makes plays and helps us win. JJ meanwhile is more interested in making poor decisions in player evaluation, cap issues and both of those are the biggest reason we are not compettative on D, but this is somehow Romo's fault??? GTFOH. You have not a clue, and the more to talk the funnier it is.

Get use to it. I've found that laughing at posts like that is the better way to go.

#103 mtcowboyfan57

mtcowboyfan57

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • LocationButte,Montana

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

Whoa! Remember 06, 07, 08, and 09? Tony did help the team reach the playoffs. Its a distant memory now because you are only arguing about the team's recent failure from past 3 years. When Tony has a better team around him, he does get us to the playoffs but the team as a WHOLE does not play well together. We should not expect just the QB to play well, they all need to play well. Did you see how Seattle played well in all phases of the game to beat up one the GREATEST QB of all time? C'mon man, what is it with this QB has to win games on his own despite how bad the rest of the team plays. NONSENSE. With the exception of the playoff win against the Eagles, the problem with the Cowboys team is that they do not ALL play well in those big games or moments. Its frustrating to watch games when the team falls apart and it gets worst when Tony has a bad day. Yet all anyone remembers is how Tony played. How about the rest of the players, what have they done lately?

I do not agree that the reason the Cowboys fail to reach the playoff is all because of Romo. Have you not paid attention to how our defense has led the league in the bottom of nearly every NFL defense category the past few years. We keep changing DC and defense philosophy every year. We do not have a real identity on DEFENSE or the team in general. The only thing we can count on is the OFFENSE to make games interesting. The offense has been the only thing that is holding this team up and making them relevant or competitive. Is this because Tony Romo has at least tried and put up outstanding statistics? Every year, Tony puts one of his receivers in the pro bowl, that requires talent to make it work. How much of a running game has Tony relied on? Up until this season, our running game has been a BUST or inconsistent.

Good post, but you gotta remember around here those arguments only count when its another QB or team.

#104 Luminator

Luminator

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,698 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:09 PM

Flacco is a solid QB and benefited from a very good-great defense. Without that he and the offense struggled. That's how it works. It doesn't mean he's a garbage QB. Same w/ Ryan. Ryan had some weapons, but neither QB is the reason for their lack of success. Kind of like Romo.

Yep. Joe Flacco had one good playoff run. His overall career statistics and overall contribution to the team is average or below average. Joe is always mediocre in the regular season. Does one good playoff run with substantial help from a strong defense make him better than Romo. I do not think so..

#105 uvaballa

uvaballa

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,053 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:55 PM

Good post and thank you for being realistic. I agree with your list.

My only issue is I go back and forth with 5-7.

I'm also glad you didn't crown Foles already.

Yeah I have no problem putting Romo in the top 10 b/c IMO he's good. I may come down hard on him when he plays bad but I really root and hope he plays well in all games. Just because I'm one of the people who think we should draft a young QB doesn't mean I hate Romo.

Yeah 5-10 gets tricky and there's arguments that could be made for just about anyone of those guys. That's just the guys I like.

vKz7QS4.gif

#106 Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:59 PM

Whoa! Remember 06, 07, 08, and 09? Tony did help the team reach the playoffs. Its a distant memory now because you are only arguing about the team's recent failure from past 3 years. When Tony has a better team around him, he does get us to the playoffs but the team as a WHOLE does not play well together. We should not expect just the QB to play well, they all need to play well. Did you see how Seattle played well in all phases of the game to beat up one the GREATEST QB of all time? C'mon man, what is it with this QB has to win games on his own despite how bad the rest of the team plays. NONSENSE. With the exception of the playoff win against the Eagles, the problem with the Cowboys team is that they do not ALL play well in those big games or moments. Its frustrating to watch games when the team falls apart and it gets worst when Tony has a bad day. Yet all anyone remembers is how Tony played. How about the rest of the players, what have they done lately?

I do not agree that the reason the Cowboys fail to reach the playoff is all because of Romo. Have you not paid attention to how our defense has led the league in the bottom of nearly every NFL defense category the past few years. We keep changing DC and defense philosophy every year. We do not have a real identity on DEFENSE or the team in general. The only thing we can count on is the OFFENSE to make games interesting. The offense has been the only thing that is holding this team up and making them relevant or competitive. Is this because Tony Romo has at least tried and put up outstanding statistics? Every year, Tony puts one of his receivers in the pro bowl, that requires talent to make it work. How much of a running game has Tony relied on? Up until this season, our running game has been a BUST or inconsistent.

8 of the teams that made the playoffs this year -- exactly half of the playoff field -- had defenses that ranked in the bottom 1/3 of the NFL.

Romo's receivers have put themselves in the pro bowl -- not Romo.  Why doesn't Romo, himself, make the pro bowl anymore???

#107 haleyrules

haleyrules

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Warm

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

He is most certainly in the top 5 all time chokers.

#108 G.2

G.2

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,617 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

Yeah I have no problem putting Romo in the top 10 b/c IMO he's good. I may come down hard on him when he plays bad but I really root and hope he plays well in all games. Just because I'm one of the people who think we should draft a young QB doesn't mean I hate Romo.

Yeah 5-10 gets tricky and there's arguments that could be made for just about anyone of those guys. That's just the guys I like.

If it were up to me I would draft the first available DE,DT, LB, or S with the 1st draft pick and try to replenish the rest of the defensive line. I also would try to get another Tackle on the O line that can play Guard.

I'm not against drafting a QB. If there isn't a realistic defensive player and there is a very good QB, go for it.

My thought process is that I want the O line and Defense ready to go for the next QB. But, I don't want to pick a position, rush to get a player and not get the best player who can contribute.

He is most certainly in the top 5 all time chokers.

Good one! Haven't heard that one a billion times.

8 of the teams that made the playoffs this year -- exactly half of the playoff field -- had defenses that ranked in the bottom 1/3 of the NFL.

Romo's receivers have put themselves in the pro bowl -- not Romo.  Why doesn't Romo, himself, make the pro bowl anymore???

How about Robinson? How'd he do when he left Dallas?

And who cares about the Pro Bowl. First there's on two starting QBs able to play. Second, who cares - it's voted on. And third, who cares.

#109 uvaballa

uvaballa

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,053 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

If it were up to me I would draft the first available DE,DT, LB, or S with the 1st draft pick and try to replenish the rest of the defensive line. I also would try to get another Tackle on the O line that can play Guard.

I'm not against drafting a QB. If there isn't a realistic defensive player and there is a very good QB, go for it.

My thought process is that I want the O line and Defense ready to go for the next QB. But, I don't want to pick a position, rush to get a player and not get the best player who can contribute.

Good one! Haven't heard that one a billion times.

And who cares about the Pro Bowl. First there's on two starting QBs able to play. Second, who cares - it's voted on. And third, who cares.

One clarification, i'm not asking for a first round QB. I'm not a QB guru but if a guy they like is there in rounds 3-5 then I would pull the trigger. Nothing wrong with having a young backup that could one day become the starter. I'm not for starting a young QB in their first year or so.

• G.2 likes this

vKz7QS4.gif

#110 G.2

G.2

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,617 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

Eff that I'm burning coal

One clarification, i'm not asking for a first round QB. I'm not a QB guru but if a guy they like is there in rounds 3-5 then I would pull the trigger. Nothing wrong with having a young backup that could one day become the starter. I'm not for starting a young QB in their first year or so.

Drafting QBs scares me, not gonna lie.

#111 AllSaddleNoHorse (PC)

AllSaddleNoHorse (PC)

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,107 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:21 PM

The ranking system for defenses is flawed with the way they calculate yards given up. Teams that use a form of Bend But Don't Break schemes often give up yards to bait opponents into making turnovers. Your defense is standing up the ball carrier to wait on help to get there to strip the ball away. The ball carrier is plodding along moving forward while he is being stood up so that the referee doesn't whistle the play as being over due to lack of forward momentum. Your DBs are giving up short yardage passes while baiting the QB and receivers into feeling at ease in the passing game so the DBs can make a play on the ball and create a turnover pick.

I first noticed how the NFL defensive ranking system was flawed back when Green Bay and the Patriots were having a go at being the Greatest Arial Show on Turf a few seasons back. Their defenses both rated very low that season but they were killing opponents game after game in the score and the opponents weren't even staying close in the score most of the time. It just seemed odd that a defense that wasn't allowing points to be racked up against them could be so low in defensive ranking in the NFL.

Jerry Jones drafting QBs scares me.

pjbz9K4.jpg

You can't even be paper champions when you are cowboys that are all saddle and no horse.

#112 uvaballa

uvaballa

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,053 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

You have to do it sometime. Honestly the reason I think they should draft a QB this year is because they're probably going to need at least 2 QB's in the next few years(paying Orton too much). So maybe the guy they draft sooner is the future starter or maybe he's the backup like Cousins.

http://www.dallascow...c3-dbacb2afbd99

vKz7QS4.gif

#113 G.2

G.2

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,617 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:37 PM

The ranking system for defenses is flawed with the way they calculate yards given up. Teams that use a form of Bend But Don't Break schemes often give up yards to bait opponents into making turnovers. Your defense is standing up the ball carrier to wait on help to get there to strip the ball away. The ball carrier is plodding along moving forward while he is being stood up so that the referee doesn't whistle the play as being over due to lack of forward momentum. Your DBs are giving up short yardage passes while baiting the QB and receivers into feeling at ease in the passing game so the DBs can make a play on the ball and create a turnover pick.

I first noticed how the NFL defensive ranking system was flawed back when Green Bay and the Patriots were having a go at being the Greatest Arial Show on Turf a few seasons back. Their defenses both rated very low that season but they were killing opponents game after game in the score and the opponents weren't even staying close in the score most of the time. It just seemed odd that a defense that wasn't allowing points to be racked up against them could be so low in defensive ranking in the NFL.

Jerry Jones drafting QBs scares me.

I don't think Jones is THAT bad at drafting, just my opinion. It's extremely hard to get it right. And with QBs its multiplied. I really feel that it hinges on the team that is in place before the QB starts. But it's such a gamble. Look at all the QB busts, not just in Dallas, but all across the league. It's insane.

Carter, Frye, Rob Johnson, John Beck, Campbell, Leinart, Pennington, Kerry Collins, Brady Quinn, Losman, Carr, Harrington, Couch, Rick, Mirer, Shuler, Russell, & Leaf. And that's just the more recent players.

P.S. Cleveland is not a good QB drafting machine AT ALL.

#114 ROMO NOT THE PROBLEM

ROMO NOT THE PROBLEM

Rookie

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationSCOTTSDALE, AZ

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:25 PM

you are an idiot dont care if i get warned or suspended !!!!

now the receivers are magically throwing themselves the ball!!!!

#115 Karl

Karl

Draftee

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:32 PM

so many fans make the mistake of hailing a QB a great leader because the team wins more games. When a team loses more games, he is not a leader. Its total BS because many QBs honestly lack the right team construct or coaching to showcase their leadership...Its amazing that once a QB wins a SB, he is somehow a much better leader than one that never wins a SB...

If there are exceptions to QB that never won SB to be considered effective or great leaders, then there must be an equal and opposite exception to the rule for the rest of the players on the team that fail as followers because they are not great either.

You make a valid point Tony's leadership is transparently bad from all I can tell by his teammates reactions in post game conferences.  How often do you see or hear Tony placing blame at others feet? How often does he accept responsibility for his mistakes. No one person wins a championship but leadership from the QB position is vital.  Furthermore, dependability is equally important.  From the perception of the cowboys locker room it doesn't seem as if the players have much faith in Tony.

#116 Karl

Karl

Draftee

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

Flacco is a solid QB and benefited from a very good-great defense. Without that he and the offense struggled. That's how it works. It doesn't mean he's a garbage QB. Same w/ Ryan. Ryan had some weapons, but neither QB is the reason for their lack of success. Kind of like Romo.

I see what your saying but Matt Ryan can at least boast he can make it pass a regular season game.  I wouldn't be so hard on Tony if he didn't choke so often...Call it what you want but when a QB consistently performs poorly in games that matter the stigma that he's a choke artists will remain.  Tony's best football game as a professional he very much out played Peyton Manning for 58 minutes of a Football game and still lost in the final moments because of his "TYPICAL" careless interception.  Tony was the reason we were in that game...Tony was the reason we were as close as we were....but in a moment where he could have silenced all his critics and started a new moniker for him self he choked and threw a bonehead interception.  Plays like this, games like this are the reason he has the title of choke artist.  After that game the season kinda tanked. 

#117 Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

you are an idiot dont care if i get warned or suspended !!!!

now the receivers are magically throwing themselves the ball!!!!

Did i strike a nerve???  LMAO!!!

#118 Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

I didn't bring up the pro bowl -- Luminator did.  I was responding to him.  He made a comment that Romo puts his receivers in the pro bowl every year, which completely discounts the abilities of Witten and Dez.  You brought up Robinson, who didn't even make the pro bowl, but i understand your point, and i agree that Romo helped him look good and vice versa.

#119 Northern_Cowboy

Northern_Cowboy

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:52 PM

Sorry but only 5 of the teams finished in the bottom 3rd not 8 don't exaggerate to try and make a point. Of those 5  4 went one and done and the 5th San Diego won it's wild card game, surprisingly enough they were the 12 ranked D in the nfl against the run so something about their D was working. And none of those 5 teams were anywhere close to being as bad as the Dallas D was this year , the worst of the 5 Philly still gave up 350 less yards on the season than we did.

#120 G.2

G.2

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,617 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:16 PM

I see what your saying but Matt Ryan can at least boast he can make it pass a regular season game.  I wouldn't be so hard on Tony if he didn't choke so often...Call it what you want but when a QB consistently performs poorly in games that matter the stigma that he's a choke artists will remain.  Tony's best football game as a professional he very much out played Peyton Manning for 58 minutes of a Football game and still lost in the final moments because of his "TYPICAL" careless interception.  Tony was the reason we were in that game...Tony was the reason we were as close as we were....but in a moment where he could have silenced all his critics and started a new moniker for him self he choked and threw a bonehead interception.  Plays like this, games like this are the reason he has the title of choke artist.  After that game the season kinda tanked. 

If only Romo's defense could have showed up and played for 2 minutes! You know, eliminate some of the 50 points? I dunno, make an offense punt ONCE!

Stop blaming one person, it's weak, old and unfair.

By the way, Romo helped the team win late season, against the Skins. Pulled it off too. Gave us a late season win or go home shot at our division title.

Save the choke crap.

• emmittstaubach, Northern_Cowboy, Luminator and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users