9 replies to this topic

#1 The Dude

The Dude

Novice User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:48 AM

Everybody is talking about the possibility of resigning Spencer & Hatcher, and there has even been talk about Henry Melton possibly reuniting with Rod Marinelli. However, no one has mentioned that Jared Allen, a Dallas native, is going to become a free agent the Cowboys should have some interest in.

No one is certain how much he'll demand on the open market since he'll be 32 when the season starts just like Hatcher, and even though he has had a way better career than Hatcher, most teams will probably try to stay younger as the Seahawks proved that can be quite effective.

There is one thing that's certain though; Jared Allen is a beast that can still play like one of the best defensive ends in the league! With him being a Dallas native and reaching the end of his career still without a ring, could Jared Allen be a serious possibility for the Cowboys?

Lots of players have taken discounts to get rings. Just look at the Patriots. This has the chance to be a similar situation, and it's made more realistic by the fact that it happens to be Allen's hometown as well.

Do you think the Cowboys can pull this off?

Wouldn't it be amazing if the Cowboys could bring in Allen to play opposite of Ware and then hopefully snag Aaron Donald, Dominique Easley, or another top defensive tackle in the draft?

That would be a huge improvement to the defensive line.

Thoughts?

• oatmeal4040 likes this

#2 haleyrules

haleyrules

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Warm

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

He would be a great player to have on the team. However, considering the club is not a SB contenter, he is probably not the way forward. Build the future through the draft. Its time to let go of the old expensive players
  • Trench War and Cummingswill22 like this

#3 LeedsCowboys

LeedsCowboys

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationLeeds, England

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:56 PM

No, his time has been draft/sign younger players. Besides why do you think he will play for less money because he was born raised in Texas, how many other players do you know have been happy to give hometown discounts.

darryl-moose-johnston.jpg

#4 Trench War

Trench War

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:19 PM

He would be a great player to have on the team. However, considering the club is not a SB contenter, he is probably not the way forward. Build the future through the draft. Its time to let go of the old expensive players

Right on, I agree with this concept.
  • haleyrules likes this

#5 ✭DEZILLA!✭

✭DEZILLA!✭

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,673 posts
  • LocationQuincy, Illinois

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:31 PM

Let's keep the youth movement going.
  • haleyrules and Cummingswill22 like this

FacebookBanner_zps2bf15f87.jpg

#6 Cummingswill22

Cummingswill22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

Only way I want Allen is if we are 1 player away from going to the SB and we have an outstanding draft defensively and he's the missing piece.  Otherwise we will be on the hook for yet ANOTHER aging players contract and no better for it.

• haleyrules likes this

#7 haleyrules

haleyrules

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Warm

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:48 PM

Exactly right. If the club was close, he could be like a Charles Haley and come in and make a real difference. Otherwise, whats the point.
  • Cummingswill22 likes this

#8 Taste My Scythe

Taste My Scythe

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationMartinsville,Va

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:37 PM

The only reason the club wasn't in contention for a ring was due to injuries.We have the offense,even when the O-line was poor they still managed to move the ball.The defense on the other hand has had a grip load of injuries,especially to key players.And everyone knows you can't win in this league without a solid defense.

If the Cowboys were to stay reasonably healthy,especially on defense,they would be contenders.Basically,this applys to almost every team.The salery cap and free agency has levaled out the playing field and it doesn't take much to turn a team around.

I'm not saying go get Allen.I like him,but I agree that we need to get younger and not sign any over priced players who are a little long in the tooth.Especially,for a player who has most likely played his best football and is on a fast slope downhill.We are looking at the same situation with Ware.So,why add more speculation.   

randy-white4.jpg

#9 The Dude

The Dude

Novice User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:13 PM

I'm all for getting younger, but the defensive ends in this draft are less than impressive.

Jadeveon Clowney is the best prospect, but he has character concerns and will be long gone before the Cowboys pick. Khalil Mack and Anthony Barr are the next best prospects, and they're probably suited more for a 3-4 OLB type role. Dee Ford looked good at the Senior Bowl, but his size might knock him from a 1st round grade. Then, there's the rest who probably don't have 1st round grades but might get drafted in the 1st because it's a weak class like Kony Ealy and Stephon Tuitt.

Finding a defensive end that can contribute right away is not as hard as finding a cornerback, but it's not exactly easy either. Even the most physically gifted athletes can struggle early on because they haven't developed a move list that will get them passed the better tackles in the league.

For these reasons, it might be better to go the free agency route to help at DE. George Selvie was great last year, but it might be more ideal to have him backing up Ware & Allen than it is for him to start. It's all about having a good rotation, and Selvie would be a superb player giving rest to a couple of older All-Pros.

Still, there's no guarantee Allen will demand less money to play in Dallas, but maybe it's extra incentive for Ware to accept a pay decrease to bring him some help on the line. Wishful thinking. I know. Also, as a side note, I'm in Ware's camp this offseason. I wouldn't ask him to take a pay cut. Even at his age and decreased productivity, the type of player he is warrants the type of contract he has.

Anyway, I think it makes more sense to sign a DE in free agency than a DT as this year's draft offers a pretty deep class of solid DTs. Either Aaron Donald or Dominique Easley will be there when the Cowboys pick if they decide to go that route. Things are a lot less clear at DE.

#10 805

Amateur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:12 PM

I could almost swear I heard Allen say he hates Dallas in an interview once. I doubt he would give the Cowboys a discount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users