On Now
Coming Up
  • Tue., Nov. 12, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Tue., Nov. 12, 2013 11:45AM - 12:25PM CST Live Jason Garrett Press Conference Jason Garrett speaks to the media during his daily press conference LIVE from Valley Ranch.
  • Tue., Nov. 12, 2013 1:00PM - 2:00PM CST Live Talkin' Cowboys

Join Mickey, Bryan, and Rowan as they breakdown all of the latest Cowboys news.

• Wed., Nov. 13, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Wed., Nov. 13, 2013 1:00PM - 2:00PM CST Live Talkin' Cowboys

• Thu., Nov. 14, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Thu., Nov. 14, 2013 4:45PM - 5:20PM CST Live On Air With DC Star Magazine Join Josh Ellis and Jeff Sullivan for an in-depth look into Dallas Cowboys Star Magazine.
  • Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 10:15AM - 10:40AM CST Live Jason Garrett Press Conference Jason Garrett speaks to the media LIVE from Valley Ranch.
  • Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 2:30PM - 3:30PM CST Live Fantasy Friday Join Rowan Kavner and Ed Cahill as they talk Fantasy Football.
  • Tue., Nov. 19, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Tue., Nov. 19, 2013 11:45AM - 12:25PM CST Live Jason Garrett Press Conference Jason Garrett speaks to the media during his daily press conference LIVE from Valley Ranch.
  • Tue., Nov. 19, 2013 1:00PM - 2:00PM CST Live Talkin' Cowboys

• Wed., Nov. 20, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.

Photo

Demarcus Ware dropping back into coverage

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,672 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

Not a big fan of that.

Do you think it would be more advantageous to use Ware for his strengths most if not all of the time?

#2 Chetos

Chetos

Veteran

• Moderators
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

Ya, I am not crazy about it either but I suppose we are trying to keep the O honest?

#3 nightrain

nightrain

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

That's one of things I find somewhat counterproductive with Ryan's schemes. Gruden showed a play before the Monday night debacle where the two defensive ends dropped back in coverage. That's exotic beyond sensible.

Billy_Gibbons_SRV_3-copy.jpg

#4 Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,672 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

That's exotic beyond sensible.

Well said.

#5 njbleedsblue

njbleedsblue

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

he is a linebacker lol...its nothing exotic or new. Usually thats done with a zone blitz, he drops back and someone from secondary blitz's. I would be curious to no how effective it really is.

#6 perk8504

perk8504

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMT

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

I don't think it does happen all that often...the numbers I've seen for this year show 13 of his 222 total snaps have been coverage snaps

#7 BKA22

BKA22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationSpring, TX

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

Doesnt happen all that often, but it does. You have to at least show that or else it becomes a key for the offense if they know he never drops into coverage.

#8 Motley Blue

Motley Blue

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

I am not a fan of it either, but then again, he is an outside linebacker. I think mentally we see him as more of a conventional defensive end.

I think it just looks odd seeing him in coverage. I suppose he probably hasn't dropped back into coverage too often in his career. Coming into this season, Ware has only one career interception (in 2006, when he returned an INT for a 41-yard touchdown ... of then Atlanta QB Michael Vick) and 22 "passes defended."
"Toby Keith smells like a bucket of dead catfish." -- "Fake" Jerry Jones on 1310 The Ticket (September 12, 2011)

#9 The Fly

The Fly

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

In theory, each player should be committed to their strengths. Ware is our best if not our only pass rusher, so IN THEORY he shouldn't be dropping into coverage. However, because Ware is essentially the SOLE pass rusher on D, any reasonably prepared OC knows that our blitzes will come from D. Ware 99% of the time, thus dial the play accordingly. In real life, Ryan has to overcome the ineptitude of our lack of pass rush by the DL and in order to disguise predictability he is forced to drop Ware into coverage. On either scenario, the results will not be vergy good. We need our DL to cooperate. We need better players than Coleman and Spears.

#10 Armchair

Armchair

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • LocationSurrounded by swamps in Louisiana.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

I noticed Ware was playing at LOLB a lot the other night, against a right handed QB and of course many times it is the strong side. So he was going to draw coverage against the TE since Spencer was out. They would rather have Ware covering more than Butler.

Posted Image

#11 coogiguy03

coogiguy03

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,693 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg/York, Pennsylvania!!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

Not a big fan of that.

Do you think it would be more advantageous to use Ware for his strengths most if not all of the time?

That's the only LOGICAL way they can seem to MOVE HIM AROUND is by dropping him in coverage, why not moving him around the line, if there's a guy that's blocking ware well then move him around, but hey since we're not getting any pressure with him on those games he might as well play some coverage! HE IS OUR ONLY SOURCE OF PRESSURE

I MADE THIS!!! #Coogiguy03

95xox.jpgvia

Imgflip Meme Maker

#12 E22

E22

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

Not a big fan of that.

Me either. His best use is to send him after the QB every play. Let this guy blowup backfields every down the way Haley did in the 1990s. It seems like a no brainer.

#13 buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,072 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:10 AM

Not a big fan of that.

On clear passing downs, yes. But when we're in the base 3-4, it would leave an exploitable hole in coverage to always have him rush from the WLB spot

If you want to argue that we should just be playing a 4-3 in base defense, that's another thing. But the ability of both Ware and Spencer to play run defense and cover in a 3-4 really is valuable to our 3-4, and we'd lose that value if we went to a 4-3.

"I'm troubled, but not to the extent that I want to do anything about it" - Jerry's philosophy as a GM.

#14 Kauboi

Kauboi

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:30 AM

Only one problem, we don't get much pressure with out him. I was hoping Hatcher would be that guy to step up but I guess it will have to be by committee, but if you're a LB'er there are times when you will need to cover. Its the DC's job to find the answer when Ware has to drop.