On Now
Coming Up
  • Tue., Nov. 12, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Tue., Nov. 12, 2013 11:45AM - 12:25PM CST Live Jason Garrett Press Conference Jason Garrett speaks to the media during his daily press conference LIVE from Valley Ranch.
  • Tue., Nov. 12, 2013 1:00PM - 2:00PM CST Live Talkin' Cowboys

Join Mickey, Bryan, and Rowan as they breakdown all of the latest Cowboys news.

• Wed., Nov. 13, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Wed., Nov. 13, 2013 1:00PM - 2:00PM CST Live Talkin' Cowboys

• Thu., Nov. 14, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Thu., Nov. 14, 2013 4:45PM - 5:20PM CST Live On Air With DC Star Magazine Join Josh Ellis and Jeff Sullivan for an in-depth look into Dallas Cowboys Star Magazine.
  • Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 10:15AM - 10:40AM CST Live Jason Garrett Press Conference Jason Garrett speaks to the media LIVE from Valley Ranch.
  • Fri., Nov. 15, 2013 2:30PM - 3:30PM CST Live Fantasy Friday Join Rowan Kavner and Ed Cahill as they talk Fantasy Football.
  • Tue., Nov. 19, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.
  • Tue., Nov. 19, 2013 11:45AM - 12:25PM CST Live Jason Garrett Press Conference Jason Garrett speaks to the media during his daily press conference LIVE from Valley Ranch.
  • Tue., Nov. 19, 2013 1:00PM - 2:00PM CST Live Talkin' Cowboys

• Wed., Nov. 20, 2013 9:00AM - 10:00AM CST Live Cowboys Break Join Derek, Nick, and Ed for all of the latest Cowboys news and analysis.

Photo

Top ten QB's of the 1970's.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 cowboysfan1237

cowboysfan1237

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:39 AM

And guess what? Roger Staubach got number 1 lol.

I am shock Fran Tarkenton got number 2, Terry Bradshaw got 3, Bob Griese got 4, and Ken Stabler got number 5.

Archie Manning got 10 and I forget numbers 9-6. But over all not bad I think. I may hate the Steelers, but I think Terry should have goting the number 2 spots, and Tarkenton drops to 3. Not sure about Bob Griese getting 4? He hardly pass at all. Ken Stabler should have been 4 or 3 at best.

#2 Ozone22

Ozone22

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts
  • LocationVEGAS

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:59 AM

I could have seen them having Bradshaw at #1 or #2, Staubach at #1, or #2, Stabler #3, Tarkenton #4.

2nk8mm0.jpg

#3 radicalcowboyfan

radicalcowboyfan

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationLone Star State

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:27 AM

I saw a similar list not long ago and it had Bradshaw #1, Staubach #2, Stabler #3, Tarkenton #4. I don't remember what the criteria was but that sounds reasonable to me.
“If ‘ifs’ and ‘buts’ were candy and nuts, wouldn’t it be a merry Christmas?” ~ Don Meredith

#4 cowboysfan1237

cowboysfan1237

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:54 AM

It was nfl network top ten list thing.

Roger got number 1 on it. There top ten list are pretty neat, top ten cowboys, top ten steelers, top ten raiders, top ten records that will never be broken(Needs to be updated now that Johnny U's passing 47 game record was beating by Brees)

Top ten bust, top ten myths. I just loved the top ten list. The main thing I really dont agree with is the top ten QB's of the 1990's with Aikman at 3. Should have been 2 or 1.

#5 kskboys

kskboys

Ring of Honor

• Moderators
  • 28,929 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

Ridiculous. Fouts should've been #2, followed by Tark at #3. Which ninny brain put Stabler over Fouts? Griese was a great Qb on a run first, run second team. Prolly #4. What, we downgrade Qb's now because their on a team that didn't pass as much? Was Ken Anderson in the 70's or 80's? Jim Hart should be on the list.

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#6 cowboysfan1237

cowboysfan1237

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

Ridiculous. Fouts should've been #2, followed by Tark at #3. Which ninny brain put Stabler over Fouts? Griese was a great Qb on a run first, run second team. Prolly #4. What, we downgrade Qb's now because their on a team that didn't pass as much? Was Ken Anderson in the 70's or 80's? Jim Hart should be on the list.

Fouts didnt make the top ten list, but he got a mention. Ken Anderson was number 8 I think. Jim Hart made the list, forgot what spot he got.

Also that redskins QB that cant thown a ball lol, made the list. Billy Kilmer made the list???? I was like what? Tim Tebow thown a better ball than Kilmer, lol.

#7 cowboysfan1237

cowboysfan1237

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

Oh yeah and Bert Jones was in the list.

1 Staubach
2 Tarkenton
3 Bradshaw
4 Griese
5 Stabler
Than 6, 7, 8, and 9, forgot the order here.
Bert Jones
Kilmer
Anderson
Hart
And Manning is number ten.

#8 Motley Blue

Motley Blue

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

I'm guessing Fouts might have got the short-shrift because he strandled the 1970s and the 1980s. He played seven seasons in the 70s and eight seasons in the 80s. Plus, other than 1976, he didn't start putting up big Fouts-like numbers until 1978.

http://www.pro-footb.../F/FoutDa00.htm

Fouts could have been included in this list, but I see him as more as an 1980s quarterback.
"Toby Keith smells like a bucket of dead catfish." -- "Fake" Jerry Jones on 1310 The Ticket (September 12, 2011)

#9 Motley Blue

Motley Blue

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

And guess what? Roger Staubach got number 1 lol.

I am shock Fran Tarkenton got number 2, Terry Bradshaw got 3, Bob Griese got 4, and Ken Stabler got number 5.

Archie Manning got 10 and I forget numbers 9-6. But over all not bad I think. I may hate the Steelers, but I think Terry should have goting the number 2 spots, and Tarkenton drops to 3. Not sure about Bob Griese getting 4? He hardly pass at all. Ken Stabler should have been 4 or 3 at best.

That's cool they had Roger Staubach No. 1. I DVR'd the show, but hadn't watched it yet ... thanks for spoiling it for me (just kidding)!

I figured Bradshaw would be No. 1. I think Staubach is the better quarterback of the two, but winning four Super Bowls looks really good on that hillbilly's resume.
"Toby Keith smells like a bucket of dead catfish." -- "Fake" Jerry Jones on 1310 The Ticket (September 12, 2011)

#10 cowboysfan1237

cowboysfan1237

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

That's cool they had Roger Staubach No. 1. I DVR'd the show, but hadn't watched it yet ... thanks for spoiling it for me (just kidding)!

I figured Bradshaw would be No. 1. I think Staubach is the better quarterback of the two, but winning four Super Bowls looks really good on that hillbilly's resume.

First viewing, and guessing I thought Bradshaw would be number 1 also, with all the Steeler loved they been showing as of late in the media. I was highly, and I mean highly upset when they had the int king of the 1990's Brett Favre as number 1. I was sure John Elway would have been number 1 and Aikman number 2, and I can lived with that. But to have Brett as the number 1 QB of the 1990's was hard to belive.

#11 Motley Blue

Motley Blue

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

First viewing, and guessing I thought Bradshaw would be number 1 also, with all the Steeler loved they been showing as of late in the media. I was highly, and I mean highly upset when they had the int king of the 1990's Brett Favre as number 1. I was sure John Elway would have been number 1 and Aikman number 2, and I can lived with that. But to have Brett as the number 1 QB of the 1990's was hard to belive.

Yeah, I don't get the love affair with Brett Favre either. I hate Steve Young, but I would even put him ahead of Favre, too.

It won't be long until we can say that Favre is only the third-best quarterback in Packers history, behind Bart Starr and Aaron Rodgers.

#12 cowboysfan1237

cowboysfan1237

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

Yeah, I don't get the love affair with Brett Favre either. I hate Steve Young, but I would even put him ahead of Favre, too.

It won't be long until we can say that Favre is only the third-best quarterback in Packers history, behind Bart Starr and Aaron Rodgers.

Loved him or hate him, he is in the top 3 best QB of Packers history, though in my book he will always be in back of Starr imo. I dont "Hate" Steve Young, mostly dislike him as a 49er because it was always the cowboys vs the 49ers in the nfc championship in the glory days. Young could have been on a team like the Browns or something, but as long as they got to 4 NFC championships with the cowboys and winning a few in the process would have made me dislike Young lol. But it happens he was with the 49ers.

I would have put him over Favre easy. There should be more than just being fun to watch(Hench why he got the number 1 spot)
I mean they didnt even give a good reason why Favre was number 1 lol. Just he was fun to watch and has a SB ring. That was it.

#13 Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,672 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

Fouts started exploding in '78-'79. He really isn't that remarkable as far as a list of top 70s QBs goes.

#14 Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,672 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

Oh yeah and Bert Jones was in the list.

1 Staubach
2 Tarkenton
3 Bradshaw
4 Griese
5 Stabler
Than 6, 7, 8, and 9, forgot the order here.
Bert Jones
Kilmer
Anderson
Hart
And Manning is number ten.

Bert Jones was awesome.

Steve Grogan was pretty great on horrendous Patriots teams in the 70s.

Gary Danielson was decent for Detroit.

Pat Haden was good for the Rams.

Bob Griese was perhaps the first "game manager" QB.

Staubach was SIGNIFICANTLY better than Bradshaw, and the career numbers completely bear that out.

#15 Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,672 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

Loved him or hate him, he is in the top 3 best QB of Packers history, though in my book he will always be in back of Starr imo. I dont "Hate" Steve Young, mostly dislike him as a 49er because it was always the cowboys vs the 49ers in the nfc championship in the glory days. Young could have been on a team like the Browns or something, but as long as they got to 4 NFC championships with the cowboys and winning a few in the process would have made me dislike Young lol. But it happens he was with the 49ers.

I would have put him over Favre easy. There should be more than just being fun to watch(Hench why he got the number 1 spot)
I mean they didnt even give a good reason why Favre was number 1 lol. Just he was fun to watch and has a SB ring. That was it.

Steve Young tanked in Tampa ON PURPOSE to get out of there. Screw him.

#16 Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,672 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

I'd say the top five of the 70s in order were

Staubach
Stabler
Ken Anderson
Tarkenton
Bert Jones

If Bert Jones had been on the Steelers or Raiders, look out.

#17 hookemducks

hookemducks

Novice User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

Staubach
Bradshaw
Tark
Jones
Griese

Loved Fouts, but I can see the argument for it not being his decade. So prolific when he hit his stride in the late '70s-80s.
Posted Image

#18 oakclifford22

oakclifford22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

really have a tough time putting Griese in there, Bert Jones was a great passer, not sure about his qb status, his leadership was NEVER on t.v., the one playoff game that was on national t.v. was a loss to the Raiders and Kenny Stabler. The one qb no one has mentioned, but was certainly better than most of those guys was Dan Pastorini. I hated that 70's Oilers team because they were such a rival for the Cowboys popularity in the state. my cousins and half of my family loved that luv ya blue team with Earl the pearl (the Tyler Rose), but few people realize that Dan Pastorini was a super accurate and double tough qb. he had been in wars with the 70's Steelers and had even come up with a win or two, something that was extremely rare against that team. Pretty much like Marino beating the '85 Bears.........The worst call ever was Mike Renfro's non-t.d that would have been had we had replay back then, which would have given that Oiler's team new life in a playoff game against those guys that could have ended up as an Oiler win and forever changed history as we know it today.

#19 Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,672 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:28 AM

really have a tough time putting Griese in there, Bert Jones was a great passer, not sure about his qb status, his leadership was NEVER on t.v., the one playoff game that was on national t.v. was a loss to the Raiders and Kenny Stabler. The one qb no one has mentioned, but was certainly better than most of those guys was Dan Pastorini. I hated that 70's Oilers team because they were such a rival for the Cowboys popularity in the state. my cousins and half of my family loved that luv ya blue team with Earl the pearl (the Tyler Rose), but few people realize that Dan Pastorini was a super accurate and double tough qb. he had been in wars with the 70's Steelers and had even come up with a win or two, something that was extremely rare against that team. Pretty much like Marino beating the '85 Bears.........The worst call ever was Mike Renfro's non-t.d that would have been had we had replay back then, which would have given that Oiler's team new life in a playoff game against those guys that could have ended up as an Oiler win and forever changed history as we know it today.

Pastorini was pretty good and definitely underrated.

Nice call!

#20 oakclifford22

oakclifford22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

Pastorini was pretty good and definitely underrated.

Nice call!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0rPThy5K5k