• This topic is locked This topic is locked
302 replies to this topic

#1 ccastillo

ccastillo

Prospect

• Administrators
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 07:55 PM

A lot of you have sent me messages, but I wanted to formally introduce myself. I'm one of the admins on the site and have been with the Cowboys since March.

First and foremost, I know this has nothing to do with official Cowboys news, but this is the most popular forum, so thought it would get the most eyeballs. 

Thank you to all that have helped report spam. I think I can speak for myself and the mods when I say we appreciate you helping flag all of the spam usernames (usernames more helpful than flagging posts). When we flag a username as spam, it deletes all of the spam posts on the site.

That said, I think you know monitoring this site is more than a full-time job and we all have things outside of reading this side and our jobs and personal lives, but do our best to try and clean up where we can. I have contacted the company on cleaning up spam, but unfortunately some of these spambots are too advanced for the captcha software. But a big THANK YOU to all the loyal users that help us out as best they can.

Which brings me to flagging other posts and members for violating forum rules. The rules are posted in the http://boards.dallascowboys.com/as "forum rules". Please try not to get a hall monitor complex. But that said, do not incite other members, use foul language, get political, or sexual innuendos. Those seem to be the main offenses. Yes this is a forum to express opinions about the Cowboys, but you are all adults and can do so without violating the rules and guidelines. Also, I realize there could be negative opinions about the team, but again, no wishing harm on specific players, coaches, wishing people to get fired, etc. You can express a negative opinion (i.e. someone played badly, someone missed a tackle, etc). Just state facts and you won't risk getting flagged by another user.

We appreciate all of you who read the website and watch the videos. Go Cowboys.

• Quickdraw, kskboys, QB 09 2 81 and 5 others like this

#2 Capn b

Capn b

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,052 posts
  • LocationPJG investigation unit for fake profiles

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:14 PM

A lot of you have sent me messages, but I wanted to formally introduce myself. I'm one of the admins on the site and have been with the Cowboys since March.

First and foremost, I know this has nothing to do with official Cowboys news, but this is the most popular forum, so thought it would get the most eyeballs. 

Thank you to all that have helped report spam. I think I can speak for myself and the mods when I say we appreciate you helping flag all of the spam usernames (usernames more helpful than flagging posts). When we flag a username as spam, it deletes all of the spam posts on the site.

That said, I think you know monitoring this site is more than a full-time job and we all have things outside of reading this side and our jobs and personal lives, but do our best to try and clean up where we can. I have contacted the company on cleaning up spam, but unfortunately some of these spambots are too advanced for the captcha software. But a big THANK YOU to all the loyal users that help us out as best they can.

Which brings me to flagging other posts and members for violating forum rules. The rules are posted in the http://boards.dallascowboys.com/as "forum rules". Please try not to get a hall monitor complex. But that said, do not incite other members, use foul language, get political, or sexual innuendos. Those seem to be the main offenses. Yes this is a forum to express opinions about the Cowboys, but you are all adults and can do so without violating the rules and guidelines. Also, I realize there could be negative opinions about the team, but again, no wishing harm on specific players, coaches, wishing people to get fired, etc. You can express a negative opinion (i.e. someone played badly, someone missed a tackle, etc). Just state facts and you won't risk getting flagged by another user.

We appreciate all of you who read the website and watch the videos. Go Cowboys.

If I known i could flag people for being like that or saying things like that, Half this board would be banned. lol good to know

• Call Me Doc likes this

#3 Kal-El of Krypton

Kal-El of Krypton

• Moderators
  • 9,134 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:26 PM

If I known i could flag people for being like that or saying things like that, Half this board would be banned. lol good to know

Not quite but she made her point.  Our desire is NOT to ban people because we want to encourage fun and discussion, we only use the ban hammer as a last resort or to boot spam bots.

• QB 09 2 81 likes this

#4 Grandpaw_G_Bundy

Grandpaw_G_Bundy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,455 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 02:32 AM

You have a thankless job, but thank you for trying to clean some of this crap up. 

• 1Cowboysdude and ArtClink like this

A vital team characteristic is the ability to overcome adversity. Any team acquires experience and endurance as it learns to fight back. This in turn builds the kind of character which seldom crumbles at a time of crisis or testing.
Tom Landry

Tom_Landry

Garrett is the basketball coach leading the game with 29 seconds left in the game. He runs a play to score again instead of running the clock out. The opposing team gets the rebound and drives the court to win.
This is Garrett, but the excuse would be "well if he had scored we would have won."  smh.

________________________________________________________________________________________

rides2.gif

#5 cern

cern

Landry Hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,716 posts
  • Locationmy ranch in west texas

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:17 AM

i would like to suggest a political forum, no holds barred.  election time nears.

• 408Cowboy likes this

simba ni simba.  hata akila majani.

#6 oldschoolfan64

oldschoolfan64

• Moderators
  • 11,645 posts
  • LocationTexas Panhandle

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:43 PM

I always viewed this as a place we could voice our opinions about the team as long as we did it in a civil manner. I guess not anymore.

Actually, what our new Admin is trying to do is return the forum back to debating instead of arguing and name calling.There is only one way to "keep it Civil" and that is to get everyone to understand that everyone has an opinion, and if you disagree, you are free to use stats and facts to back up your assessment. There has been far too much name calling here lately, far too many posters who stir the pot and incite others to retaliate.This Forum is for discussions about Dallas Cowboy's Football, not grade school arguments complete with name calling and goading others into doing something wrong so they will get in trouble. We're all Adults here, and it's high time we all start acting like it.

I've been to some other team's sites, and the vulgarity and name calling, the trashing of fellow fans and the intolerance for differing opinions takes the enjoyment out of even bothering to post there.You can't have an intelligent discussion without someone name calling and insulting you for your opinions. That's what we want to avoid here.

• kskboys, Grandpaw_G_Bundy, charleshaleyfan and 2 others like this
Been a Dallas fan all my life...will remain a Dallas fan till I die.

#7 ccastillo

ccastillo

Prospect

• Administrators
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:58 PM

i would like to suggest a political forum, no holds barred.  election time nears.

Understood, but feel free to do elsewhere. DallasCowboys.com is not the platform for politics. 

• kskboys, QB 09 2 81, Juggernaut and 6 others like this

#8 ccastillo

ccastillo

Prospect

• Administrators
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:00 PM

Again, this is also posted in the rules forum, but here are the rules/guidelines of the message boards:

Welcome to the Dallas Cowboys True Blue forum. Please take a few moments before posting to read the rules.

1. Profanity is not allowed...period. Do not mask profane words in an attempt to bypass the filter. Examples of masking would be: D@LL@S , Da!!as, l />ALLA$, etc. Profanity used in languages other than English will also be considered masking.

2. No nudity or profane images. This includes Avatars and SIGs or posting links to media and/or other outlets which violate this policy.  Sigs, or posted images that depict nudity, or any other type of offensive material will be removed.

3. Please do not post entire articles from other sites.  You may post links to relevant content on other sites (i.e., article from ESPN.com).

4. Don't start a new thread on a topic that is already being discussed or it may be subject to either being merged with a similar topic, or closed.

4a. Topic jacking is prohibited.  Please stay on topic out of respect for the member who started it.

5. If you have a problem or concern regarding a moderator, send a message to that moderator to discuss the issue (remain civil as will the moderator). If you choose to air your concern in the public forums, you may be subject to a warning or permanent suspension.

6. Arguments and disagreements are expected and most certainly inevitable. Please don't resort to name-calling, direct or indirect, or labeling members. Do not degrade, demean, or belittle other members in any way. If you have a problem with someone's opinion, argue against the opinion, not the person.

7. Avoid excessive spamming. Spam is defined as posting irrelevant information and/or off-topic information (for example, a thread about dancing in a Cowboys game thread).

8. When starting a thread, please title the thread relative to the topic. Staff members reserve the right to change a topics title.

9. This site is for fans, not free advertising. Personal web pages (Myspace, Facebook, etc.) are acceptable, but make sure the page is PG-13 before posting a link. Active members can post links to their businesses or income-producing websites in their signatures with a hyperlink ONLY with the text "My Company", "My Website", or "My Business". Do not include banners, business descriptions, or clickable ads of any kind. All hyperlinks to business sites must be approved by the moderators before being added in signatures.

10. This is a forum for football and some other general discussion.  Politics, religion, race, or other moral and ethical issues are prohibited.

10-a. If you choose to have an avatar or signature that pertains to one of the above issues (i.e., religion), then only positive themed avatars/signatures will be allowed. Anything negative or derogative will be removed.

11. If you have an idea for an "Official" thread, please run it by a staff member and have them start it for you. Please DO NOT title any thread as an "Official" thread if you are not a moderator.

12. One account per member please. Multiple accounts may result in the de-activation of all accounts associated with that member. This includes accounts created in an attempt to bypass disciplinary action that has been taken. In addition, any account created with the intent of impersonating another past or present member will be permanently forfeit.

13. If you see any questionable activity, please use the "Report" button under each post. Please do not abuse this option.

14. If you choose to use your real name as a username or in conversation, you do so at your own risk.

15. Avatars cannot be animated GIFs, but signatures can be animated, as long as they are not distracting to others.

16. Please keep signatures to a reasonable size. SIGs that are too big may be subject to removal.

17. Do not quote another member in your sig unless you have permission from that person.  If you use another members comment in your sig, and that member wishes for their quote to be removed, the staff reserves the right to remove it out of respect for the other member or members.

18. Only 1 sig image per member is allowed.

18-a.  Random images of scantily clad women are not allowed.  Images of Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders are allowed.

#9 ccastillo

ccastillo

Prospect

• Administrators
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:43 PM

Ah, so you want to limit people's thoughts.    Do you realize what you're asking us to do?   Basically, you want someone banned because you don't like what they have to say.   And negative opinions should all get the poster banned if we don't like what they're saying.  

These aren't my rules. I didn't make them up. They existed long before I got here. I re-posted them in this thread if you need a refresher. Again, why can't we discuss football without getting too personal. This is a Cowboys forum. And again, I don't make the rules. Just here to remind everyone what they are. We are all adults. yes we get emotional and passionate about the Cowboys because we love them. But let's just do it in a civil way. 

• Grandpaw_G_Bundy and oldschoolfan64 like this

#10 Beefmaster

Beefmaster

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,741 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:29 PM

Yeah, but then where do you draw the line? How do you word the rule? Do you simply ban everyone w/ an agenda, or everyone who repeats themselves?

I think we'd be going into dangerous territory if we actually started doing this.

I think if you want someone to lose their job you need to be able to explain why and provide a logical replacement. In my opinion most of the ones who just like to say fire someone can't back up their statements.
  • kskboys and PowerDraw like this
Nobody owes you anything life is what you make of it.

#11 Beefmaster

Beefmaster

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,741 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:40 PM

Actually, what our new Admin is trying to do is return the forum back to debating instead of arguing and name calling.There is only one way to "keep it Civil" and that is to get everyone to understand that everyone has an opinion, and if you disagree, you are free to use stats and facts to back up your assessment. There has been far too much name calling here lately, far too many posters who stir the pot and incite others to retaliate.This Forum is for discussions about Dallas Cowboy's Football, not grade school arguments complete with name calling and goading others into doing something wrong so they will get in trouble. We're all Adults here, and it's high time we all start acting like it.
I've been to some other team's sites, and the vulgarity and name calling, the trashing of fellow fans and the intolerance for differing opinions takes the enjoyment out of even bothering to post there.You can't have an intelligent discussion without someone name calling and insulting you for your opinions. That's what we want to avoid here.

I agree I was one of the ones who complained about every topic being turned into a bashfest this summer. My complaint is not being able to call for someone's job if they are doing a bad job. I think I understand why the OP said "don't wish for anyone to be fired" cause we have a bunch around here who just post "Fire Garrettkeet" and that gets old and brings nothing new to the debate, but I do think if one can make a rational argument with a logical replacement you should be able to call for a job loss.
  • kskboys likes this
Nobody owes you anything life is what you make of it.

#12 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 43,696 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:48 PM

No, I want them banned if they only have negative thoughts and feel the need to only be here to share the same negative thoughts in each thread they participate in, specifically in topics that are unrelated.

OK, but WHERE DO YOU DRAW THE LINE.

You're only looking at one or two instances w/o taking the general policy into account. 

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#13 heathgs

heathgs

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,043 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:52 PM

OK, but WHERE DO YOU DRAW THE LINE.

You're only looking at one or two instances w/o taking the general policy into account.

I don't think it has to be overly complicated. It's not difficult to spot. The one and two instances are the ones that need cleaning. That's it.

#14 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 43,696 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 11:18 PM

These aren't my rules. I didn't make them up. They existed long before I got here. I re-posted them in this thread if you need a refresher. Again, why can't we discuss football without getting too personal. This is a Cowboys forum. And again, I don't make the rules. Just here to remind everyone what they are. We are all adults. yes we get emotional and passionate about the Cowboys because we love them. But let's just do it in a civil way. 

Absolutely.

However, the poster was promoting banning someone for repeating themselves.  I was simply questioning the validity of that.   

I don't think it has to be overly complicated. It's not difficult to spot. The one and two instances are the ones that need cleaning. That's it.

Yes, but that would be following a personal agenda due to a vendetta vs one or two posters, would it not?  

• Grandpaw_G_Bundy likes this

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#15 Dak4Prez

Dak4Prez

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 11:19 PM

Thank you for cracking down on jumbo.  He was very much one of the inciters on the board that made it uncomfortable for new board members to post their opinions.  Good work.  Welcome aboard!!

#16 cern

cern

Landry Hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,716 posts
  • Locationmy ranch in west texas

Posted 09 October 2016 - 11:28 PM

Understood, but feel free to do elsewhere. DallasCowboys.com is not the platform for politics. 

i was only joking.  no topic more polarizing than politics.  

simba ni simba.  hata akila majani.

#17 heathgs

heathgs

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 28,043 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 09 October 2016 - 11:33 PM

[quote name="kskboys" post="3722906" timestamp="1476055116

Yes, but that would be following a personal agenda due to a vendetta vs one or two posters, would it not? [/quote]

No. The person who started this thread mentioned you shouldn't be calling for people to be fired. That is harsh as in normal football conversation you talk about who should be cut, fired, etc. It doesn't have to be that extreme. Most everybody here, while we may disagree, have the ability to discuss the Cowboys (whether positive or negative), keep things in topic, joke around, etc. Sometimes we get out of line, need warnings or temporary bans. A handful or less people here clearly have an agenda of simply stirring up the masses with constant negativity and add nothing of value. If those are too difficult to spot using basic common sense the screw it, let them continue to incite.

It's only a suggestion.

#18 Runwildboys

Runwildboys

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 28,078 posts
  • LocationPJG - East Coast Chapter

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:06 AM

No. The person who started this thread mentioned you shouldn't be calling for people to be fired. That is harsh as in normal football conversation you talk about who should be cut, fired, etc. It doesn't have to be that extreme. Most everybody here, while we may disagree, have the ability to discuss the Cowboys (whether positive or negative), keep things in topic, joke around, etc. Sometimes we get out of line, need warnings or temporary bans. A handful or less people here clearly have an agenda of simply stirring up the masses with constant negativity and add nothing of value. If those are too difficult to spot using basic common sense the screw it, let them continue to incite.

It's only a suggestion.

Hey, I'm with ya, Hoss!

wOZF2v4.jpg

#19 Grandpaw_G_Bundy

Grandpaw_G_Bundy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,455 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:56 AM

I could care more if some one spouts the same crap about garrett or jerry. I just wonder why people seemed to be drawned into insulting these posters. Let them spout their frustration or love and move alone.

It's kind a funny how the same ones has to jump in and tell the other how stupid or crazy they are.

It's like an accident on the interstate, you got the ones who have to break their necks trying to see what's going on.  LOL..

A vital team characteristic is the ability to overcome adversity. Any team acquires experience and endurance as it learns to fight back. This in turn builds the kind of character which seldom crumbles at a time of crisis or testing.
Tom Landry

Tom_Landry

Garrett is the basketball coach leading the game with 29 seconds left in the game. He runs a play to score again instead of running the clock out. The opposing team gets the rebound and drives the court to win.
This is Garrett, but the excuse would be "well if he had scored we would have won."  smh.

________________________________________________________________________________________

rides2.gif

#20 heathgs

heathgs

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 28,043 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 10 October 2016 - 01:24 AM

I could care more if some one spouts the same crap about garrett or jerry. I just wonder why people seemed to be drawned into insulting these posters. Let them spout their frustration or love and move alone.

It's kind a funny how the same ones has to jump in and tell the other how stupid or crazy they are.

It's like an accident on the interstate, you got the ones who have to break their necks trying to see what's going on. LOL..

Sorta like the same ones have to point out how others point things out. It is a never ending circle and you play your role too. You just think you don't.m, but you do.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Admins, Forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users