You are here

Photo

2017 National Championship: Clemson Tigers vs Alabama Crimson Tide

Who will win?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Poll: 2017 National Championship (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Clemson Tigers (7 votes [77.78%])

Percentage of vote: 77.78%

2. Alabama Crimson Tide (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,883 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:28 AM

Well it was a bad year for the SEC.  I guess this is just the cherry on top.

#42 uvaballa

uvaballa

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,243 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:30 AM

Two good championship games two years in a row. I'm sure Saban won't mind Watson going pro.
2r7n7m0.jpg

#43 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,883 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:33 AM

Watson is officially a legend

at Clemson.   He's no more a college legend than Jameis Winston or Blake Sims.

Two good championship games two years in a row. I'm sure Saban won't mind Watson going pro.

Forget Watson.  How about Renfrow?   Its like Bama learned nothing from last year.  They got killed by the same 5'10 white guy.  He has 11 career TDs.  4 of them are against Alabama in title games.

#44 Five Superbowls

Five Superbowls

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:35 AM

Too bad someone had to lose. One of the best college games I've seen in a long time.
  • jordanjssr and atlantacowboy like this

#45 uvaballa

uvaballa

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 19,243 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:36 AM

at Clemson. He's no more a college legend than Jameis Winston or Blake Sims.

Forget Watson. How about Renfrow? Its like Bama learned nothing from last year. They got killed by the same 5'10 white guy.

People were saying that's the best D ever. He made them look average. I still think the Miami teams of early 2000s would crush these Bama teams.
  • My_Name_Is_Dallas likes this
2r7n7m0.jpg

#46 Johnboy94

Johnboy94

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:41 AM

Commentators still trying to give it to Bama. 10 minutes after game is over.

#47 emmittstaubach

emmittstaubach

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,227 posts
  • LocationWilliamsport, Pa

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:31 AM

Bama lost! Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

I DON'T CLAIM TO BE ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY, BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE DELUSIONAL! :lol:

3 Important things to remember:

1)Overall, we are only speculators

2))Laughter and bacon feed the soul

3)It's only a game

#48 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,883 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:43 AM

People were saying that's the best D ever. He made them look average. I still think the Miami teams of early 2000s would crush these Bama teams.

Dude, the  Bama defense was on the field for 99 snaps.  Thats insane.   They had nothing left in the 4th quarter when Clemson did all their damage.   Bama punted the ball 13 times!  So, it wasn't like Clemson was going up and down the field all game wearing them out.  The problem was the Bama offense could not convert 3rd down throws and couldn't maintain possession.  Bama was 2 for 15 on 3rd down.  

It was 24-14 going into the 4th quarter.  No defense,  even the 85 Bears,  can be effective for 99 snaps. 

Clemson has a lot of NFL talent.  Hats off to them.  They are the only team in college football that could have beat that Bama team.  Were it not for a hiccup loss,  people would be comparing this Clemson team to the best teams of all time.

• jordanjssr likes this

#49 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,883 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:49 AM

Bama lost! Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Yeah,  but its also gotta be kinda depressing for you watching that game and realizing PSU is never going to be that good.   Rose Bowl runner up trophies are about the ceiling for PSU football.

Alabama 52

USC         6

#50 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,883 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:51 AM

Commentators still trying to give it to Bama. 10 minutes after game is over.

I guess we all bring our own biases and hear different things.

#51 uvaballa

uvaballa

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 19,243 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:09 PM

Dude, the Bama defense was on the field for 99 snaps. Thats insane. They had nothing left in the 4th quarter when Clemson did all their damage. Bama punted the ball 13 times! So, it wasn't like Clemson was going up and down the field all game wearing them out. The problem was the Bama offense could not convert 3rd down throws and couldn't maintain possession. Bama was 2 for 15 on 3rd down.

It was 24-14 going into the 4th quarter. No defense, even the 85 Bears, can be effective for 99 snaps.

Clemson has a lot of NFL talent. Hats off to them. They are the only team in college football that could have beat that Bama team. Were it not for a hiccup loss, people would be comparing this Clemson team to the best teams of all time.

But he did the same thing to that D two years in a row. They were gassed, maybe Bama coaches should have kept Lane or made a QB change.

Cool story here 1zx7e2o.jpg
2r7n7m0.jpg

#52 C42

C42

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:15 PM

How good would Mike Williams look in an Eagles uniform?...

#53 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,883 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:58 PM

But he did the same thing to that D two years in a row. They were gassed, maybe Bama coaches should have kept Lane or made a QB change.

Cool story here 1zx7e2o.jpg

That is pretty cool. 

I think getting rid of the best play caller in college football the last 3 years a week before the title game is looking like a really bad move.   Kiffin was really good at seeing the defense and making adjustments to exploit weaknesses.  That said,  its possible that Hurts just isn't capable of doing much more than running the ball which limits the playbook.  I do know that Bama has a Marcus Marriotta clone coming from Hawaii and he's going to give Hurts a run for his money.

• uvaballa and jordanjssr like this

#54 mrsouthpaw

mrsouthpaw

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,487 posts
  • LocationSomewhere around here

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:54 PM

I think Alabama is loaded with Cowboys fans. ESPN is showing clips of Alabama players saying the refs had it out for them.

#55 uvaballa

uvaballa

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 19,243 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:57 PM

How good would Mike Williams look in an Eagles uniform?...

Eagles going RB or WR in the first?

I think Alabama is loaded with Cowboys fans. ESPN is showing clips of Alabama players saying the refs had it out for them.

http://dailysnark.co...last-second-td/
2r7n7m0.jpg

#56 C42

C42

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:55 PM

Eagles going RB or WR in the first?

Hoping for either one. But if Williams, Corey Davis, Fournette, and Cook are somehow all gone I hope they get the best CB available or trade back.

#57 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,883 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:33 AM

Well,  they only called 3 penalties on clemson all night.  Thats kinda unusual for such a physical game.  Bama got hit with 9.  The WRs and CBs were waging hand battles all night and every call went to Clemson.  

That said,  they deserved to lose b/c Hurts was god aweful.

#58 jordanjssr

jordanjssr

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:39 PM

Okay, time for the resident Alabama fan to comment.

I called for Alabama to win only because Vegas was calling it. I saw Clemson winning much worse than the final score, but Alabama actually made some plays early which changed the flow of the game.

Alabama did not lay a finger on Watson last year. They put together an excellent physical game plan this year to fix that. They hit Clemson early and made them think about whether or not they wanted to play. Watson and Williams literally weren't in the game mentally in 1st quarter because of the physical play. That bought Alabama's offense a few possessions to get things going on the ground.

Clemson's game plan of basically playing a goal line defense forced Bama into a big play or bust offense. Scarborough made 2 plays happen in 1st half both for TDs. What it did was keep Clemson's defense off the field. Bama got into the habit of quick drives. There was 3 hours of actual time passed when Alabama got a first down(yes the clock moved more than a NFL game between Alabama first downs).

Clemson's OL wasn't good enough to hold off Alabama's starters. Once Alabama started putting the second unit in. Clemson went right down the field and scored in 2nd quarter. Alabama looked to have only 5 people that could make plays on DL against Clemson.

As the game evolved, Bama still was shutting down Clemson until midway through the 3rd quarter. Then they got tired and Clemson moved the ball at will. Watson looked much better to me last year than this year. He looked tougher this year because he kept getting up from multiple hits.

What I think was the biggest factor in this game was the media. All week long Jalen Hurts heard how he could not throw the ball past Clemson to win the game. There were a dozen plays were he could have ran at sideline for 5-10+ yards. On each of those plays he chose to throw the ball in to the 20th row. It was as if he was trying to prove he could do what a passing QB was supposed to do. Had he have ran during those attempts, he would have picked up 4-5 first downs minimum. His only TD came when he did run with 2 minutes to go. Those yards were there all night, and he didn't take them.

As far as the pick plays, that's chicken crap football. Refs know intent and they knew what the intent was. If the pass is not behind the line of scrimmage that crap ain't supposed to be there. Big 12 refs called a 7 on 7 game in the National championship. WRs were pushing off all night. It was bad football, but it is what they are used to calling so both teams should have known what was coming. I am not saying Bama got hosed by the refs. I will say that Clemson benefitted greatly by having big 12 officials.

Even if the refs would have made the pick calls, Clemson probably wins that game. On the one rushing TD, Tomlinson was single blocked 5 yards deep in end zone. There was no way Bama was going to stop Clemson from scoring a TD the rest of the day. Only way Alabama could have won is if they scored and didn't leave Clemson :45.

All in all it was a great game by two teams in consecutive years. Probably won't see games like this very often. My only wish was that Clemson would have thrown the ball to Mike Williams and won the game without that pick play crap. It was there for them all night, it just gives the great game a bad look at the finish. Wasn't needed and just looked kind of cheap.

• atlantacowboy likes this
Football was killed by the shield.

#59 jordanjssr

jordanjssr

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:43 PM

ESPN didn't let that full playout if it was the cut I heard. That got the "soundbite" they wanted. It was big 12 offenses need to get 70 points to win refereeing. No one really sees that except for about 10 teams a year. The secondary players didn't understand why Clemson was getting to do all the push offs with the ball in the air. Alabama didn't benefit from it because they had no passing game to speak of. I am going to say that the refs would have called it the same way for Bama if their Wrs would have pushed off. 

• atlantacowboy likes this

#60 jordanjssr

jordanjssr

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:49 PM

That is pretty cool. 

I think getting rid of the best play caller in college football the last 3 years a week before the title game is looking like a really bad move.   Kiffin was really good at seeing the defense and making adjustments to exploit weaknesses.  That said,  its possible that Hurts just isn't capable of doing much more than running the ball which limits the playbook.  I do know that Bama has a Marcus Marriotta clone coming from Hawaii and he's going to give Hurts a run for his money.

Word from Tuscaloosa since summer was. We have a good defense, and we have 3 tough road games. Probably going to be a down year. Saban wanted the new offense, and it is alledged they were going to make the transition to the new offense this season so that next season Tua would hit the ground running with everyone having their roles defined. The defense went better than they could have imagined, and they ended up in the "down" year in the title game.

Next year is when the big games are in Tuscaloosa. Last year they had to go to Oxford, Knoxville, and Baton Rouge. Adding USC in the opener, you could see where you might think they would lose 2 games. Schedule plays out much better in 2017.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Who will win?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users