• blue2thabone and BlueandSilverblood like this

#2 Juggernaut

Juggernaut

Landry Hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,127 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:53 AM

The ability to post replies under articles was removed to prevent bot spam. It worked. It probably won't ever return.

If you want to discuss anything Cowboys go to the Dallas Cowboys forum:  http://boards.dallas...-cowboys-forum/

But if you want to discuss dallascowboys.com articles go the News forum:  http://boards.dallas.../forum/28-news/

• oldschoolfan64 likes this

nNU4Y2O.gif

#3 45yearCowboyFan

45yearCowboyFan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:25 PM

I notice most of the people who posted on the other area don't post here, and many of those who still post are here much less often.

Sad.

Thanks spammers, ruined this site...

• BIG72, BlueDocD2 and BlueandSilverblood like this

#4 davidariust24

davidariust24

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:53 PM

i was wondering what happened. This is cool to tho.

• Juggernaut likes this

#5 BenGone

BenGone

• Moderators
  • 1,912 posts
  • LocationFort Worth

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:05 PM

are there any plans to bring back the comments section? please advise

It's still there, you just have to access it through the forums instead of commenting directly on the articles' pages.

• oldschoolfan64 likes this

Lurk more, post less

DFWsportsbanner_zpsz4msorfn.png

DFW!

When you go to bed at night, you pray to God for the health and safety of Sean Lee.

#6 cheekyj

cheekyj

Novice User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:41 AM

To cut down on spam?! That's a terrible 'justification' for this terrible message board format. There's a reason the vast majority of bigger websites don't go to a message board format seperate from the articles ect...this is a failure and a lack of foresight.

• BIG72 and BlueandSilverblood like this

#7 Creeper

Creeper

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:32 PM

There are other ways to get around spammers posting here.  Other websites do it.  I am sure the Cowboys website could too if they really wanted to.

The way this site is configured now is terrible for the fans.  I wish they would go back.

• BIG72, blue2thabone, Methadoneforlife and 2 others like this

#8 DUO_CORE

DUO_CORE

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:14 PM

Score! I'm making $100.000 a year working from home......J/K :D

• BlueDocD2 likes this

#9 Quickdraw

Quickdraw

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,261 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:35 AM

To cut down on spam?! That's a terrible 'justification' for this terrible message board format. There's a reason the vast majority of bigger websites don't go to a message board format seperate from the articles ect...this is a failure and a lack of foresight.

I'll give you some insight on how this is set up.

The comments section below the articles was mainly a front-end GUI to the actual message board News forum.  It had some of the same capabilities for members as the forum does.  The one big difference between them was that a user did not need to validate using a valid email address to comment.  With signing up to post on the actual message board, a user has to use a valid email address and validate their account.  Once validated, their 1st post had to be approved by the mods, which at one time included myself.  If they were spammers, their account was banned.

With commenting in the article section of the website, there was no email validation, and we were not able to see the members 1st post and approve it for future posting.

Every day our team and administrators were overwhelmed with a plethora of reports of spam posts.  Mods are volunteers, but administrators are paid employees and I'm sure they have more important thing to do during their business day than to sit on this website and babysit spam reports.  I mean think about it.  It is time consuming to have to go through all those reports day in and day out when there is an easy solution to the problem.

You guys/gals who used to read the article on the site and comment from there can do the same on this message board with a lot less worry of random spam bots spoiling your experience.  Just save this site to your favorites, sign in, remember sign in, and as long as you don't delete cookies or saved passwords every day, you'll automatically be signed in each time you visit this site.

#10 BlueDocD2

BlueDocD2

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:13 PM

I'll give you some insight on how this is set up.

The comments section below the articles was mainly a front-end GUI to the actual message board News forum.  It had some of the same capabilities for members as the forum does.  The one big difference between them was that a user did not need to validate using a valid email address to comment.  With signing up to post on the actual message board, a user has to use a valid email address and validate their account.  Once validated, their 1st post had to be approved by the mods, which at one time included myself.  If they were spammers, their account was banned.

With commenting in the article section of the website, there was no email validation, and we were not able to see the members 1st post and approve it for future posting.

Every day our team and administrators were overwhelmed with a plethora of reports of spam posts.  Mods are volunteers, but administrators are paid employees and I'm sure they have more important thing to do during their business day than to sit on this website and babysit spam reports.  I mean think about it.  It is time consuming to have to go through all those reports day in and day out when there is an easy solution to the problem.

You guys/gals who used to read the article on the site and comment from there can do the same on this message board with a lot less worry of random spam bots spoiling your experience.  Just save this site to your favorites, sign in, remember sign in, and as long as you don't delete cookies or saved passwords every day, you'll automatically be signed in each time you visit this site.

Thanks for posting quickdraw. There were other surefire ways to combat the spam, but looks like they took the easier way out. Would have made sense to set up the email verification process like you said and allow the volunteer mods to check 1st postings as I'm sure they would have gladly done to keep the site as before. But it's all water under the bridge. I really miss the old gang but having any public forum site has to be tough to manage especially if you don't bother for email verification.

#11 Juggernaut

Juggernaut

Landry Hat

• Members
  • 31,127 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:55 PM

Once validated, their 1st post had to be approved by the mods, which at one time included myself.

Welcome back to civilian life.

nNU4Y2O.gif

#12 BlueandSilverblood

BlueandSilverblood

Novice User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:19 PM

I Don't really visit the website at all anymore because of having no comments section. In fact, I only got on today to check and see if there is a comment section. :(

#13 BlueandSilverblood

BlueandSilverblood

Novice User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:25 PM

It's actually sad that I would rather go on ESPN.com because of the comments after the article. Come on guys, figure it out. I know there is a way. If I figure out the way will you hire me, because I bet I could.

#14 Juggernaut

Juggernaut

Landry Hat

• Members
  • 31,127 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:46 AM

I Don't really visit the website at all anymore because of having no comments section. In fact, I only got on today to check and see if there is a comment section. :(

It's actually sad that I would rather go on ESPN.com because of the comments after the article. Come on guys, figure it out. I know there is a way. If I figure out the way will you hire me, because I bet I could.

If you want to discuss anything Cowboys go to the Dallas Cowboys forum:  http://boards.dallas...-cowboys-forum/

But if you want to discuss dallascowboys.com articles go the News forum:  http://boards.dallas.../forum/28-news/

And this is the thread where all the old guys that posted on the articles post:  http://boards.dallas...-sunday-jan-15/

nNU4Y2O.gif

#15 krl97a

krl97a

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:58 AM

If you want to discuss anything Cowboys go to the Dallas Cowboys forum...

That's missing the point. The reason most people want to comment on an article is because they have a substantive response to the article that they want read by people who read the article, or at least those who bother to scroll down and read some of the comments afterwards (as many typically do), and maybe even read by the article authors themselves, not because they feel like chatting with a small group of other fans off out of sight and mind somewhere.  Removing the comments from the article pages wrecks that. 

#16 Juggernaut

Juggernaut

Landry Hat

• Members
  • 31,127 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 01:26 PM

That's missing the point. The reason most people want to comment on an article is because they have a substantive response to the article that they want read by people who read the article, or at least those who bother to scroll down and read some of the comments afterwards (as many typically do), and maybe even read by the article authors themselves, not because they feel like chatting with a small group of other fans off out of sight and mind somewhere.  Removing the comments from the article pages wrecks that. 

When you were posting on the dallascowboys.com articles, you were actually posting on this message board in the News forum. You can still respond to each article in each article's corresponding thread in the News forum: http://boards.dallas.../forum/28-news/

Unfortunately the administers had to remove the dialog box in the articles that allowed you to post directly to this message board because the bots were exploiting a loophole that allowed them to create unlimited accounts that didn't require them to be approved by moderators. That allowed them to spam the news articles without impunity and thus they were also spamming this message board in the News forum on their corresponding thread.

If you don't find enough fans to chat about each article you want to discuss in the News forum, because unfortunately many of the members that previously posted on the articles all now congregate on one thread in the News forum since they did feel like just chatting as small group of fans somewhere out of sight and mind, then I suggest creating a new thread in the main Dallas Cowboys forum and post a link the to article you'd like to discuss. You'll probably get several members to reply to your thread and discuss the topic of the article you want to discuss: http://boards.dallas...-cowboys-forum/

nNU4Y2O.gif

#17 krl97a

krl97a

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:17 AM

You missed the point again. I know that and I posted here, not directly on the article/radio show pages (at least once they switched to this basic forum format a few years or so ago), but unless I was hallucinating the posts also appeared on the article/show pages whether you posted here or there, which was the point of posting since a lot more people would see it there than here. I guess that changed a while back.  In general I try to avoid news/opinion sites that don't allow reader feedback on the article pages. 

The "spam" excuse doesn't wash. If your arm gets a sore you don't cure it by cutting your arm off. If nothing else they could have lost the dialogue box and still let the posts here be visible there as well. Seems more likely that they just wanted an excuse to remove the comment sections.  Granted a small but post-happy group of lonely people had taken to using some of the old comments sections for inane off topic chats, and sure there was some spam as there typically is on high traffic boards, but there was also a lot of thoughtful, on topic posting. I suspect that the PTB disliked legitimate criticism and mistake catching as much as the spam and off topic personal crap, but hopefully that wasn't the real reason for this. Whatever the motivation, this unfortunately coincides with a broader trend of sites shutting down message boards. In most cases it's for political reasons (the trend really picked up steam on leftist owned sites like IMDb and news outlets after Trump's victory, with conservatives having come to dominate those boards) or to silence valid criticism that strikes a nerve, with BS excuses like "trolling" tossed out as the justification for shutting down comments sections. Here I guess they disliked the comments sections for a variety of reasons and settled on "spam" as the official excuse for shutting them down. Maybe they figure they're better off without them, but their stories won't be getting many clicks from me. 

#18 Juggernaut

Juggernaut

Landry Hat

• Members
  • 31,127 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:46 PM

You missed the point again. I know that and I posted here, not directly on the article/radio show pages (at least once they switched to this basic forum format a few years or so ago), but unless I was hallucinating the posts also appeared on the article/show pages whether you posted here or there, which was the point of posting since a lot more people would see it there than here. I guess that changed a while back.  In general I try to avoid news/opinion sites that don't allow reader feedback on the article pages. 

The "spam" excuse doesn't wash. If your arm gets a sore you don't cure it by cutting your arm off. If nothing else they could have lost the dialogue box and still let the posts here be visible there as well. Seems more likely that they just wanted an excuse to remove the comment sections.  Granted a small but post-happy group of lonely people had taken to using some of the old comments sections for inane off topic chats, and sure there was some spam as there typically is on high traffic boards, but there was also a lot of thoughtful, on topic posting. I suspect that the PTB disliked legitimate criticism and mistake catching as much as the spam and off topic personal crap, but hopefully that wasn't the real reason for this. Whatever the motivation, this unfortunately coincides with a broader trend of sites shutting down message boards. In most cases it's for political reasons (the trend really picked up steam on leftist owned sites like IMDb and news outlets after Trump's victory, with conservatives having come to dominate those boards) or to silence valid criticism that strikes a nerve, with BS excuses like "trolling" tossed out as the justification for shutting down comments sections. Here I guess they disliked the comments sections for a variety of reasons and settled on "spam" as the official excuse for shutting them down. Maybe they figure they're better off without them, but their stories won't be getting many clicks from me. 

That feature was removed to prevent bots from creating accounts and spamming this forum without a moderator first validating each newly created account. It succeeded, the bots and their spam has ended. The feature probably won't ever return. If you end up taking your clicks elsewhere, I wish you the best of luck. And also: Go Cowboys!

nNU4Y2O.gif

#19 krl97a

krl97a

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:36 AM

Why can't posts here still appear on article pages? That has nothing to do with spambots or the posting feature that was directly on the article pages. Without posts being visible on the article pages there's no reason for people to still post on those threads here. Consequently they all have zero posts. Sure you eliminated spam, and everything else. Like I said....

#20 CharlesS

CharlesS

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas from San Antonio

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:14 AM

It's still there, you just have to access it through the forums instead of commenting directly on the articles' pages.

Except nobody goes there to post about it. I've done it once or twice but I believe I'm the only person to ever go there and post. The fact is most people don't want to watch a video or read an article then go all the way to the message board, search the message board for the proper DEagleton post that relates to that article/video and then post a comment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users