#1 Bobhaze

Bobhaze

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,593 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Tx.

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:52 PM

I have seen every Cowboys QB play all the way back to the tiny Eddie LeBaron, Jim Rhome, and Dandy Don Meredith. It is amazing how many how many awesome QBs have started here in Dallas. Compared to other NFL franchises Dallas could be considered the "Center of the NFL QB Universe" . Here's how I rank the all time best Cowboys starting QBs:

1. Roger Staubach- "Captain Comeback"- you were never out of a game when this guy played. Was 13-7 in playoff games, 4-2 in NFC championship games, and 2-2 in SB games. A fantastic, fearless leader. The best QB we've ever had, hands down.

2. Troy Aikman- the most accurate passer in NFL history. Never seen anyone ever have the kind of arm strength and accuracy that Troy did. Had a very impressive 11-4 playoff record, including 3-1 in NFC Championship games, and 3-0 in SBs. A close second to Roger IMO.

3. Tony Romo- I rank Tony Romo just slightly ahead of Dandy Don because TR has better regular season stats, had that great rags to riches story, and and was just more fun to watch. His NFL story is the stuff of movies. But his 2-4 playoff record and big game performances were his Achilles heel. When the games counted most, TR was not his best. 

4. Dandy Don Meredith- If Dandy Don had played longer and stayed healthy, he might have been up there with Roger and Troy. Was a spectacular playmaker and tough as a boot (Played with a broken nose twice) but he could not win the big one as they used to say. He was 1-3 in the playoffs including the two heartbreaking losses in 66 and 67 (Ice Bowl)

5. Danny White- You could argue White should be ranked higher. He did have a 5-5 record in the playoffs and played very well in the tough role of succeeding Roger. But I had a hard time watching White's "deer in the headlights" facial expressions and his 4 straight losses in NFC championship games. 

6. Craig Morton-The starter between Dandy Don and Roger. He was a pretty accomplished QB. Even took the Broncos to a SB in '77. Had a 5-5 playoff record, including 3-2 with Dallas. Should have won SB V but his INT in the last min was one of the more frustrating moments in 'Boys history. 

Most NFL teams would be hard pressed to find even 2 really good QBs in their history. Roger and Troy combined have an amazing 24-11 playoff record, including 5-2 in SBs and 7-3 in NFC championships. That's as good as it gets. No other QB combos in NFL history have those kind of credentials!

If Tony had been better in the playoffs, he might have been the 'Boys third HOFer. Unless he has a complete revival with a couple of SB wins in another city, he won't make the HOF. He will certainly be in the Cowboys Ring of Honor though. And I think Danny White deserves to be in the ROH as well.

I expect to see Dak among these too when it's all said and done. We will see in time.

How would you rank the top 5-6 and why?

• Needmorerings likes this

#2 Blackthorn

Blackthorn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:57 PM

Not disagreeing with you for the most part but I would Rank them different. 

1) Troy Aikman - Rings 3

2) Roger Staubach - 2 Rings and overall 2-2 in the Superbowl. He is my favorite QB of all time. 

Insert Dak Prescott- He has the it factor

3) Danny White- He was a two position player and took the Boys to the cusp of the SB.

4) Craig Morton - started with Dallas in V and Denver in XII

5) Tony Romo

6) Dandy Don  

Even though Roger is my favorite QB of all time I can't discount Aikman leading the team to three victories in the Superbowl. If Roger could have went straight in the NFL after college there is not any doubt in my mind that he would have more SB victories.  

• Bobhaze, 11DannyWhite11, Needmorerings and 2 others like this

#3 Bobhaze

Bobhaze

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,593 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Tx.

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:59 PM

Not disagreeing with you for the most part but I would Rank them different. 

Troy Aikman

Roger Stauback

Danny White

Craig Morten 

Tony Romo

Dandy Don

Nothing wrong with that list. What was your rationale?

#4 CouchCoach

CouchCoach

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,095 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:16 PM

You could have put this in the main forum with a different title and get more bidness in it.

1.  Roger, had the playmaking ability and was the only 1 of the 5 that could run that well.

2. Troy, accuracy, attention to detail and toughness.

3.  Don, the best arm and deep ball thrower of the 5.

4.  Danny, weird eyes but accuracy was excellent and the best "make all of the throws" of the 5.

5.  Tony, good not great and forced too many throws.

I agree, we are damned lucky to have had the QB's we've had and 2 HOFers.

If I had ranked them on leadership, it would be different.  I would have had Tony at #2 behind Roger.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha, I copied and pasted from the Romo sub forum and even brought gamewatcher's like along.  And a Quote and Multi Quote, whatever that is, along for good measure.  Would this not qulaify as a Mutli Quote since I put it in two different threads?  I am ambiposterus.

• Bobhaze and thestar4ever like this

#5 Northern_Cowboy

Northern_Cowboy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,305 posts
  • LocationNorth of Dallas

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:02 PM

Troy, Roger, Danny, Tony, Never saw Meredith play. All based on post-season performance

I never saw Staubach play or White. I do know Staubach and Aikman were surrounded by HOF players on defense and offense. I do think the talent that both White and Romo had were very similar and in both cases neither had the team talent that #12 or #8 had. I always thought that Romo COULD have won on the Aikman teams but that may be just hyperbole. 

Never saw Meridith play and it was a different era. 

So, comparing the 4 that I know

(1) Aikman based on SB's and how he played in the playoffs (he turned his game up a notch in those games)

(2) Staubach because of his over all play making ability and ability to stay calm under pressur

(3) White for taking watered down versions of Stabach's teams to the play offs 5 times

(4) Romo because, of the 4, all he really did was rewrite the regular season record books without the playoff success and his teams were AS good as Whites.

My comparisons are based only on post season success but that's the way most Cowboy fans measure success. We're a spoiled lot

It's ridiculous to suggest White had watered down teams. You should take the time to inform yourself before you make idiotic statements like that

http://www.footballd...r/1980?sort=pos

http://www.footballd...r/1981?sort=pos

http://www.footballd...r/1982?sort=pos

• thestar4ever likes this

#6 Dylan✭Wilson

Dylan✭Wilson

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,461 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:08 PM

1. The Great Wall of Dallas (Original & Sequel)
2. Emmitt Smith, Tony Dorsett & Ezekiel Elliott
3. Doomsday D & Primetime D
4. The 88 Club
5. Tom Landry & Jimmy Johnson

Since the supporting cast apparently reads defenses and makes the throws for Dak, I assume the same goes for all the rest. :D
  • 1Cowboysdude and yeah_malvy like this

FacebookBanner6_zps7z99n8y4.jpg

#7 TexasStadium33

TexasStadium33

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:09 PM

Roger Staubach took the Boys to four Super Bowls. He simply had the misfortune of playing the Steelers. Otherwise, it'd be him, and not Bradshaw, in these lifelong debates with Montana about who's the greatest ever. 

As good as Troy Aikman was, I never personally thought he could actually carry the Cowboys like other quarterbacks have done. 

I'd rank them Staubach, Romo, Aikman, White. The others were before my time, or not enough playing time. This is based on the ability to carry a team. For that, I almost want to put White ahead of Aikman. 

Opinions will vary. These are mine. 

• eduncan, Luminator and Romotodez like this

#8 eduncan

eduncan

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts
  • LocationWheeling, WV

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:10 PM

I would say that Tony Romo is the best passer we've ever had in Dallas.

He owns almost all the major QB records.

Unfortunately, his best years [2011-2014] were WASTED by Dallas.

If only we'd had a strong defense during those years.

• maryquality, Northern_Cowboy, 1Cowboysdude and 1 other like this

#ChuckHowley

chuckring.jpg

#9 Bobhaze

Bobhaze

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,593 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Tx.

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:52 PM

Unfortunately, his best years [2011-2014] were WASTED by Dallas.

How long have you been a Cowboys fan Ed? 

#10 THE OZ OF COWBOY COUNTRY

THE OZ OF COWBOY COUNTRY

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts
  • LocationBeaumont Texas

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:10 AM

Nope. Not going to play this game. I'm just going to count SuperBowl rings. You can be good all you want,but if you don't win a ring you're not a champion. Charles Barkley. They dont give you a Gramy for coming in third place three times in a row.

#11 acr731

acr731

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,869 posts
  • LocationTEXAS!

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:13 AM

White is #3..... 

Unfortunately, his best years [2011-2014] were WASTED by JERRY AND GARRETT.

Fixed it for you.

• eduncan and yeah_malvy like this

#12 Northern_Cowboy

Northern_Cowboy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,305 posts
  • LocationNorth of Dallas

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:59 AM

And you should stop calling people idiots that you don't even know jerk

sorry if it offended you but it was an idiot statement

• Romotodez likes this

#13 eduncan

eduncan

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts
  • LocationWheeling, WV

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:28 AM

How long have you been a Cowboys fan Ed? 

Too long.  Super Bowl 13.

I caught the last few years of Staubach's career.

I was a kid when he retired.  It killed me.

#ChuckHowley

chuckring.jpg

#14 Beefmaster

Beefmaster

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,743 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:33 AM

1 Troy one of the best
2 Roger may be more loved than Troy but not a better QB than Troy
3 Romo under appreciated you give him talent like the first two had and he has some rings
4 White and Don in a tie
5 Morton

A buddy of mine and I were talking about what team has had the best QBs

We had (this is not in order of rank)
Packers with Rogers, Farve, and Starr 4 rings
Steelers Bradshaw, and Ben 6 rings
49ers Joe and Young 5 Rings
Pats Brady and Bledsoe 5 rings
Cowboys group 5 rings
  • eduncan likes this
Nobody owes you anything life is what you make of it.

#15 Cowboy Eric

Cowboy Eric

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:02 AM

1.Roger Staubach
2.Troy Aikman
3.Danny White
4.Don Meredith
5.Tony Romo
  • GMO415 likes this

#16 Grandpaw_G_Bundy

Grandpaw_G_Bundy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,457 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:06 AM

Danny gets the crazy eyes award. Probably Number 1 with the eyes. 

• Romotodez likes this

A vital team characteristic is the ability to overcome adversity. Any team acquires experience and endurance as it learns to fight back. This in turn builds the kind of character which seldom crumbles at a time of crisis or testing.
Tom Landry

Tom_Landry

Garrett is the basketball coach leading the game with 29 seconds left in the game. He runs a play to score again instead of running the clock out. The opposing team gets the rebound and drives the court to win.
This is Garrett, but the excuse would be "well if he had scored we would have won."  smh.

________________________________________________________________________________________

rides2.gif

#17 #1GM-Will-McClay-Jr.-Jr.

#1GM-Will-McClay-Jr.-Jr.

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  • Location(Dallas Cowboys War Room) Getting Ready To Draft Defensive Ends!

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:19 AM

I know Rodger think about everyday how man Super Bowls and Championships he would have had if he didn't have to go finish his service to this country 1st. Rodger would of won 4 or more Super Bowls easy!

#1GM-Will-McClay-Jr.-Jr.  "Egotistical Self Centered Self Proclaimed #1 General Manager Football Talent Scout In The Entire World.... Will McClay Jr. Jr. Is A Quick Tempered ...Always Right...Football..... Genius........Jet Flying.............Mansion Living.........Ferrari Bentley Rolls Royce Driving Son Of A Gun WOOOOOOOOW!! Wall Street Mindset........If You're Not Selling Something Then You're Not Winning"

62dd74d9b3fe558de0058107e6f08ce5.gif

#18 Cowboy Eric

Cowboy Eric

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:33 PM

Danny took the Cowboys to 3 consecutive NFC Title games....they win just one and he is viewed differently.
Too bad he followed Roger....he was a tremendous QB.
  • Northern_Cowboy and Romotodez like this

#19 Luminator

Luminator

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,986 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:57 PM

Roger Staubach took the Boys to four Super Bowls. He simply had the misfortune of playing the Steelers. Otherwise, it'd be him, and not Bradshaw, in these lifelong debates with Montana about who's the greatest ever. 

As good as Troy Aikman was, I never personally thought he could actually carry the Cowboys like other quarterbacks have done. 

I'd rank them Staubach, Romo, Aikman, White. The others were before my time, or not enough playing time. This is based on the ability to carry a team. For that, I almost want to put White ahead of Aikman. 

Opinions will vary. These are mine. 

This is consistent with the team support and coaching these QBs played with. Carrying a team is tough and I have always had my doubts with Aikman and White.

I recall how Aikman could not get the team over the hump after 96 because the team around him started to fade. Danny had way too many golden opportunities while the Doomsday defense was still formidable.

#20 #1GM-Will-McClay-Jr.-Jr.

#1GM-Will-McClay-Jr.-Jr.

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  • Location(Dallas Cowboys War Room) Getting Ready To Draft Defensive Ends!

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:15 AM

How is A guy that won 2 playoff games in 10 years not at the Button of this list???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

#1GM-Will-McClay-Jr.-Jr.  "Egotistical Self Centered Self Proclaimed #1 General Manager Football Talent Scout In The Entire World.... Will McClay Jr. Jr. Is A Quick Tempered ...Always Right...Football..... Genius........Jet Flying.............Mansion Living.........Ferrari Bentley Rolls Royce Driving Son Of A Gun WOOOOOOOOW!! Wall Street Mindset........If You're Not Selling Something Then You're Not Winning"

62dd74d9b3fe558de0058107e6f08ce5.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users