Bobhaze

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,597 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Tx.

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:42 AM

http://www.pro-footb...perc_career.htm

If we are talking about who played the QB position best for the Cowboys franchise based on individual performance.

1. Romo ~ Holds 6th most accurate passer in NFL history. 248 TDs / 117 Ints

2. Staubach ~ Hold 90th most accurate passer in NFL history. 153 TDs / 109 ints

3. Aikman ~ Aikman holds 31st most accurate passer in NFL history, why people shout about his accuracy when Romo blows him out of the water and then some. 165 TDs / 141 ints!

4. White ~ holds 44th most accurate Qb in NFL history. 155 TDs / 132 ints

5. Meredith ~ Holds 166th most accurate Qb in NFL history. 135 TDs / 111 ints

Playoffs or not, Romo has been hands down the best most efficient QB in Cowboys history!

Well this is an opinion thread so having Romo #1 is your option. But man putting him ahead of Roger and Troy just seems crazy to me. Roger was 13-7 in the playoffs. To me, that trumps passing stats.

#42 Zerofill

Zerofill

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:05 AM

If I am voting on most exciting to watch it is Staubach and Romo...

• yeah_malvy likes this

Romo made Dez...

#43 Zerofill

Zerofill

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:07 AM

Most 4th qtr comebacks in NFL history?  http://www.pro-footb...acks_career.htm

Romo is ranked 16th with 25.

Aikman ranked 66th with 16.

Staubach ranked 67th with 15

White is ranked 89th with 12.

Hard to look at stats like that, since if you aren't behind, you don't have to come back.

So you would really have to know, how many times did they need a 4th quarter comeback.

• yeah_malvy likes this

Romo made Dez...

#44 Grandpaw_G_Bundy

Grandpaw_G_Bundy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,458 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:20 AM

but if you're on a superior team you don't have to come back.

A vital team characteristic is the ability to overcome adversity. Any team acquires experience and endurance as it learns to fight back. This in turn builds the kind of character which seldom crumbles at a time of crisis or testing.
Tom Landry

Tom_Landry

Garrett is the basketball coach leading the game with 29 seconds left in the game. He runs a play to score again instead of running the clock out. The opposing team gets the rebound and drives the court to win.
This is Garrett, but the excuse would be "well if he had scored we would have won."  smh.

________________________________________________________________________________________

rides2.gif

#45 acr731

acr731

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,891 posts
  • LocationTEXAS!

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:56 AM

http://www.pro-footb...perc_career.htm

If we are talking about who played the QB position best for the Cowboys franchise based on individual performance.

1. Romo ~ Holds 6th most accurate passer in NFL history. 248 TDs / 117 Ints

2. Staubach ~ Hold 90th most accurate passer in NFL history. 153 TDs / 109 ints

3. Aikman ~ Aikman holds 31st most accurate passer in NFL history, why people shout about his accuracy when Romo blows him out of the water and then some. 165 TDs / 141 ints!

4. White ~ holds 44th most accurate Qb in NFL history. 155 TDs / 132 ints

5. Meredith ~ Holds 166th most accurate Qb in NFL history. 135 TDs / 111 ints

Playoffs or not, Romo has been hands down the best most efficient QB in Cowboys history!

All those stats show is that Jerry failed to put a team around Romo.  If the other QB's on the list had to do everything by themselves they too would have astronomical stats.

Romo can still be faulted for not getting it done when it mattered most, which is why he still should be ranked #4 behind Staubach, Aikman, and White.

#46 eduncan

eduncan

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  • LocationWheeling, WV

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:08 PM

All those stats show is that Jerry failed to put a team around Romo. If the other QB's on the list had to do everything by themselves they too would have astronomical stats.

Romo can still be faulted for not getting it done when it mattered most, which is why he still should be ranked #4 behind Staubach, Aikman, and White.

Whites passing numbers are not even close to Romo's.

#ChuckHowley

chuckring.jpg

#47 Bobhaze

Bobhaze

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,597 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Tx.

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:40 PM

I'm just wondering Ed....do you count passing stats as more important than playoff wins when measuring a QB? Because if you just measure stats, Roger is 4th best. 

#48 Darthkuriboh

Darthkuriboh

Professional Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:43 PM

I'm going to assume this post wasn't sarcasm and reply....

How the hell do you put Garrett ahead of Troy and Romo based on one game?  I get accused of saying some really stupid things, but damn man, this trumps anything I could EVER come up with.

It actually was sarcasm

release-the-kraken-beagle-500js031710.jp

#49 Bobhaze

Bobhaze

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,597 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Tx.

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:13 PM

Drew Bledsoe, Steve DeBerg, Jim Hart, Jim Everett, Kerry Collins, Vinny Testaverde and Eli Manning....what do they have in common? If you go by stats alone, there are all better than Tony Romo.

Now I don't believe any of those guys are better than Romo. But if you just looked at their stats, they are. Eli alone has 14,000 more yards, 72 more TDs, has won 6 more playoff games and 30 more regular season games. Is Eli better? I don't think so, but if you just go by stats....

#50 NewEnglandCowboy

NewEnglandCowboy

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire ~ Live Free or Die!

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:41 PM

Hard to look at stats like that, since if you aren't behind, you don't have to come back.

So you would really have to know, how many times did they need a 4th quarter comeback.

Exactly my silent point, Aikman and Staubach had amazing teams, great defenses thats why they have SB wins....   

#51 Bobhaze

Bobhaze

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,597 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Tx.

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:45 PM

Exactly my silent point, Aikman and Staubach had amazing teams, great defenses thats why they have SB wins....   

So the Cowboys would have won all those NFC Championships and SBs in the 70s with Clint Longley or Glen Carano at QB? Or the 90s Cowboys are just as dominant with Steve Buerleine or Bernie Kosar at QB? Both teams would have been just as accomplished without them?

#52 heathgs

heathgs

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,068 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:46 PM

Lot of factors.  Romo also played on a pass happy team in an era that had passing favorable rules.  That helps the stats out. I think Aikman could carve up today's defenses and have awesome stats. 

• Bobhaze likes this

#53 NewEnglandCowboy

NewEnglandCowboy

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:48 PM

Well this is an opinion thread so having Romo #1 is your option. But man putting him ahead of Roger and Troy just seems crazy to me. Roger was 13-7 in the playoffs. To me, that trumps passing stats.

Your question you submitted to me was who was the best QB and how would I rank them, not who was the most winningest?

I think Peyton Manning is superior as a QB to Tom Brady in how he plays the position, how imbedded he is in every aspect of the game, and how he pretty much knew the entire playbooks and reinvented how involved the QB is in the game!

However one cannot deny Brady is #1 because he wins so much. If you put Manning on the Patriots with Bellicheck I think you would see a reversal of success, and quite frankly I don't think Brady would be so good on another team!

#54 Wadevl

Wadevl

Amateur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:50 PM

1A, 1B Roger and Troy

3 Danny

4 Romo

78 Hogeboom

• Bobhaze likes this

Born A Cowboy Fan, All In, All the Time

#55 Bobhaze

Bobhaze

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,597 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Tx.

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:53 PM

1A, 1B Roger and Troy

3 Danny

4 Romo

78 Hogeboom

Nice work! The great Gary Hogeboom. LOL. Did you forget Steve Pueller? 

#56 NewEnglandCowboy

NewEnglandCowboy

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:54 PM

Lot of factors.  Romo also played on a pass happy team in an era that had passing favorable rules.  That helps the stats out. I think Aikman could carve up today's defenses and have awesome stats. 

Aikman had a total of 4715 attempts with 165 tds and 141 ints    http://www.pro-footb.../A/AikmTr00.htm

Romo had 4335 attempts with 248 tds and 117 ints  http://www.pro-footb.../R/RomoTo00.htm

Aikman had more attempts less tds and more ints your argument is INVALID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#57 heathgs

heathgs

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,068 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:57 PM

Aikman had a total of 4715 attempts with 165 tds and 141 ints    http://www.pro-footb.../A/AikmTr00.htm

Romo had 4335 attempts with 248 tds and 117 ints  http://www.pro-footb.../R/RomoTo00.htm

Aikman had more attempts less tds and more ints your argument is INVALID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it doesn't make it invalid.  He also played in an era that allowed QBs and WRs to be hit and DBs the ability to actually touch a WR during the route. The game has changed, it is easier to pass in today's game. 

• Bobhaze and Gmen4ever like this

#58 Bobhaze

Bobhaze

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,597 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Tx.

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:59 PM

Your question you submitted to me was who was the best QB and how would I rank them, not who was the most winningest?

I think Peyton Manning is superior as a QB to Tom Brady in how he plays the position, how imbedded he is in every aspect of the game, and how he pretty much knew the entire playbooks and reinvented how involved the QB is in the game!

However one cannot deny Brady is #1 because he wins so much. If you put Manning on the Patriots with Bellicheck I think you would see a reversal of success, and quite frankly I don't think Brady would be so good on another team!

No problem here. As you said, it's an opinion and I respect yours although I certainly disagree. 

My basis for my top five (Roger, Troy, Tony, Danny W then Dandy Don) was that Between Roger and Troy they had 5 SB wins, and a 24-11 playoff record. To me, the goal in all sports is to win, regardless of stats. So I judged these guys on winning because I think it's the stat that matters most.

I did rank Tony third even though he won less playoff games than White because of his great rags to riches story and his stats which are certainly worth a lot. But gain, I cannot see putting TR ahead of our two HOF QBs with those credentials. That's just my opinion.

#59 NewEnglandCowboy

NewEnglandCowboy

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:01 PM

it doesn't make it invalid.  He also played in an era that allowed QBs and WRs to be hit and DBs the ability to actually touch a WR during the route. The game has changed, it is easier to pass in today's game. 

Anything to diminish Romos accomplishments, Maybe there was a waxed moon and mercury was in retrograde during Romos time and not Aikmans too?

No problem here. As you said, it's an opinion and I respect yours although I certainly disagree. 

My basis for my top five (Roger, Troy, Tony, Danny W then Dandy Don) was that Between Roger and Troy they had 5 SB wins, and a 24-11 playoff record. To me, the goal in all sports is to win, regardless of stats. So I judged these guys on winning because I think it's the stat that matters most.

I did rank Tony third even though he won less playoff games than White because of his great rags to riches story and his stats which are certainly worth a lot. But gain, I cannot see putting TR ahead of our two HOF QBs with those credentials. That's just my opinion.

Again you ask how to grade the QB then apply wins as if the QB is the only reason for a team to win? It takes an entire team ask the Falcons...

With this kind of thinking Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer are superior QBs because they won a sb then?

#60 Bobhaze

Bobhaze

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,597 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Tx.

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:02 PM

Anything to diminish Romos accomplishments, Maybe there was a waxed moon and mercury was in retrograde during Romos time and not Aikmans too?

Again you ask how to grade the QB then apply wins as if the QB is the only reason for a team to win? It takes an entire team ask the Falcons...

With this kind of thinking Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer are superior QBs because they won a sb then?

That's just context...not diminishing TR's accomplishments.

• heathgs likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users