68 replies to this topic

#1 stau-backer

stau-backer

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:49 PM

Two times in a row (that the Cowboys went to the Playoffs) they found out that they did not have a pass rusher worth a damn to stop Aaron Rogers.  This has to change for a real shot at the Super Bowl.  The offense is set - but the defense is super suspect.

Before I go on I want to point out the last 10 second round picks (will explain later):

2016 - Jaylen Smith - not sure if he will ever contribute

2015 - Randy Gregory - a total bust who will never play again

2014 - Demarcus Lawrence - a rotation type player who will look good a game or two and disappear for long stretches - not playing at all like a second round pick

2013 - Gaven Escobar - with Witten active this was a wasted pick and he never got an opportunity

2012 - no pick

2011 - Bruce Carter - a couple of solid games, but already out of the NFL because he never matured into a great linebacker

2010 - Sean Lee - the ONLY good second round pick in the last ten years

2009 - no pick

2008 - Martellus Bennett - another wasted TE second rounder who never got an opportunity

2007 - no pick

2006 - Anthony Fasano - once more another wasted TE pick

I bring this up because this season Myles Garrett is entering the draft.  He has the athletic ability and the intangibles to be this teams next Charles Haley. 

Because the history of second rounders over the last 10 years is 1/10 - I would love to see them use these picks to trade up and grab Garrett.  Grabbing Garrett puts this team in the playoffs - and possiblty the Super Bowl.  Another TE or drug abusing DE in this year's second round - or even next year's - is a gamble that probably will not pay off.  A great DE will make everyone on the defense better - the same way that Haley did - and with the offense in place - puts this team over the top.

• northerncowboynation likes this

#2 LeedsCowboys

LeedsCowboys

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationLeeds, England

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:12 PM

Two times in a row (that the Cowboys went to the Playoffs) they found out that they did not have a pass rusher worth a damn to stop Aaron Rogers.  This has to change for a real shot at the Super Bowl.  The offense is set - but the defense is super suspect.

Before I go on I want to point out the last 10 second round picks (will explain later):

2014 - Demarcus Lawrence - a rotation type player who will look good a game or two and disappear for long stretches - not playing at all like a second round pick

2013 - Gaven Escobar - with Witten active this was a wasted pick and he never got an opportunity

2012 - no pick

2011 - Bruce Carter - a couple of solid games, but already out of the NFL because he never matured into a great linebacker

2009 - no pick

2008 - Martellus Bennett - another wasted TE second rounder who never got an opportunity

2007 - no pick

I bring this up because this season Myles Garrett is entering the draft.  He has the athletic ability and the intangibles to be this teams next Charles Haley. 

Because the history of second rounders over the last 10 years is 1/10 - I would love to see them use these picks to trade up and grab Garrett.  Grabbing Garrett puts this team in the playoffs - and possiblty the Super Bowl.  Another TE or drug abusing DE in this year's second round - or even next year's - is a gamble that probably will not pay off.  A great DE will make everyone on the defense better - the same way that Haley did - and with the offense in place - puts this team over the top.

In short its not going to happen, if you read several threads below you will note that to move up 27 spaces it will cost a lot of picks.

Using the Rams trade in 2016 moving from 16-1 it cost 1-1sts and 2-2nds, to get Cleveland interested in moving down to 28 look at minimum 3-1sts, & 3-2nds.

So to answer your question we do not have the picks to move up. 

• silver_n_blue_82 and My_Name_Is_Dallas like this

darryl-moose-johnston.jpg

#3 northerncowboynation

northerncowboynation

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,653 posts
  • LocationChatham, ontario

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:27 PM

I'll remind you of the only 3 rookie DE's to ever play like Charles Hayley in their first year.... Jevon Kearse, Simeon Rice and Dwight Freeny. Could Garrett be that in his rookie year, it's possible but history says no. From what I've read, Garrett is hardly a polished NFL pass rusher just yet. It takes more than speed off the edge to be a Kearse, Rice or Freeny.  So even if he fell to us (which I highly doubt) I don't see him or any DE having that impact in year one and then fans will be all whines because we didn't make it again.

Want an immediate difference maker, draft a WR like John Ross or a TE like OJ Howard/David Njoku at 28. Just my opinion

#4 QuincyCarterEra

QuincyCarterEra

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,940 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:53 PM

If you want the most immediate impact you find a lockdown DB.

A 4th/5th option on offense won't have the sort of impact a shutdown DB would
  • northerncowboynation, BigDIndiana, Blackthorn and 1 other like this

#5 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 42,526 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:17 PM

History says you are wrong. 

• silver_n_blue_82 and #1GM-Will-McClay-Jr.-Jr. like this

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#6 northerncowboynation

northerncowboynation

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,653 posts
  • LocationChatham, ontario

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:19 PM

Give me your definition of a shut-down CB and how many have been that in the first year? Name one. To me there are no shut-down CB's anymore. That was a term coined back in Deions day and todays game is totally different than what that anle biter ever faced. He couldn't tackle for crap

#7 QuincyCarterEra

QuincyCarterEra

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,940 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 05:04 PM

Give me your definition of a shut-down CB and how many have been that in the first year? Name one. To me there are no shut-down CB's anymore. That was a term coined back in Deions day and todays game is totally different than what that anle biter ever faced. He couldn't tackle for crap

A shutdown corner takes away either the teams #1 or a certain side of the field for the opposing QB.

Just last year Ramsey played at a shutdown corner level the second half of the season. That was just last year.

A #2 WR or #2 TE won't have the immediate impact or the long term production that a shutdown corner or an 8 sack a year DE would have. Especially given the limited amount of pass attempts this team has per game.
The #2 TE would likely move up the ladder given the stage of Witten's career.

History says you are wrong.

Highly doubt it.

#8 portnoy

portnoy

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 05:57 PM

Marcus Peters was solid his first year.

#9 charleshaleyfan

charleshaleyfan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:10 PM

#1 priority are pass rushers

We need to flatten out Eli Manning and Aaron Rodgers like pancakes.

• stau-backer and #1GM-Will-McClay-Jr.-Jr. like this

#10 LeedsCowboys

LeedsCowboys

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationLeeds, England

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:18 PM

Until age caught up with him, Revis was a shut down CB

#1 priority are pass rushers

We need to flatten out Eli Manning and Aaron Rodgers like pancakes.

I would say DB is the most priority position, at the minute not enough of either quality or quantity.

darryl-moose-johnston.jpg

#11 Beaker42

Beaker42

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, IL

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:19 PM

2012 - no pick

2009 - no pick

2007 - no pick

That's why we need to take the guy 3 spots away from Garrett  -  Hall.

• Lane21Train likes this

#12 Mr. 4.37

Mr. 4.37

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,342 posts
  • Location5th dimension

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:51 PM

The title is misleading...do we have a fantastical board? Myles Garrett wont be a Cowboy.

Now, with so many bodies on the DL already i feel proven veteran talent is the way to go, my target would be Nick Perry in FA. See if TMC would come back for cheap and there you have a solid 4 man front predraft, plus backups like Irving, Ced,TCraw n Mayowa.

"We take calculated risk associated with victory" - Mike Tomlin

#13 #1GM-Will-McClay-Jr.-Jr.

#1GM-Will-McClay-Jr.-Jr.

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  • Location(Dallas Cowboys War Room) Getting Ready To Draft Defensive Ends!

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:07 PM

Jerry going to get us some WAR DADDIES!!! That's all we need DE!!! 2 Of them!! But sad thing is Tim Williams and Tak Mckinley both have been climbing the draft boards all week. These guys are going to have to have a terrible combine so they can keep falling. Anything other than that they'll both be gone with the rest of the top DE's in this draft. 

#1GM-Will-McClay-Jr.-Jr.  "Egotistical Self Centered Self Proclaimed #1 General Manager Football Talent Scout In The Entire World.... Will McClay Jr. Jr. Is A Quick Tempered ...Always Right...Football..... Genius........Jet Flying.............Mansion Living.........Ferrari Bentley Rolls Royce Driving Son Of A Gun WOOOOOOOOW!! Wall Street Mindset........If You're Not Selling Something Then You're Not Winning"

62dd74d9b3fe558de0058107e6f08ce5.gif

#14 hadenough

hadenough

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts
  • LocationDuval County

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:31 PM

If you can't get one of the better DEs in this draft then they better go for the best DT because collapsing the pocket is the next best thing to having an edge rusher. they could opt for Quincy Wilson CB but I would rather see them draft DT.

#15 DanAn

DanAn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:09 AM

I'm of the belief that a free agent DT should be the "war daddy" we chase. A player like Kawann Short (who'll get franchise tagged) would be ideal but otherwise a good DT along side Maliek Collins IMO will give us the most improvement. I'd still ideally draft that 1st round DE everyone wants but realistically that's not going to have instant impact.

#16 My_Name_Is_Dallas

My_Name_Is_Dallas

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:22 AM

....A 1st and a 2nd to move up to the first overall pick....  Brilliant!!

Yeah no, you would need to give

2017 1st

2018 1st

2019 1st

2017 2nd

2018 2nd

2017 3rd

2019 3rd

To get the Browns on the phone

Jason-Witten-1600-1200.jpg

I think when the regular season starts everyone starts in the same place. #1 or #32 depending on your life outlook. (so #32 for you.)

#17 Vascodias

Vascodias

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:33 AM

I'm of the belief that a free agent DT should be the "war daddy" we chase. A player like Kawann Short (who'll get franchise tagged) would be ideal but otherwise a good DT along side Maliek Collins IMO will give us the most improvement. I'd still ideally draft that 1st round DE everyone wants but realistically that's not going to have instant impact.

What's wrong with re-signing Terrell Mclain?

• Bless the Boys likes this

output_yY7yta_zpsi6nxaw4k.gif

Block the lane, destroy someone!!! 

#18 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 42,526 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 01:34 AM

A shutdown corner takes away either the teams #1 or a certain side of the field for the opposing QB.

Just last year Ramsey played at a shutdown corner level the second half of the season. That was just last year.

A #2 WR or #2 TE won't have the immediate impact or the long term production that a shutdown corner or an 8 sack a year DE would have. Especially given the limited amount of pass attempts this team has per game.
The #2 TE would likely move up the ladder given the stage of Witten's career.

Highly doubt it.

Pocket disruptors by far have the most immediate and biggest impact.

• blueberryicedcoffee likes this

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#19 Five Superbowls

Five Superbowls

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 February 2017 - 03:19 AM

Not going to happen. Boys can move up maybe 2-5 spots in the first but that's it.

In 2018 Boys will have cap money to resign their own and get a top FA.

#20 daygoboy6191

daygoboy6191

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,528 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, Ca

Posted 26 February 2017 - 03:57 AM

Not going to happen. Boys can move up maybe 2-5 spots in the first but that's it.

In 2018 Boys will have cap money to resign their own and get a top FA.

I find it funny how you say the Cowboys can only move up 2-5 spots and this it, but on the other hand think they will be able to sign their own plus go get a top FA.

Not that they can't go out and sign their own and get a upper tier (Don't think top) FA in FA, but I would say much more realistic they jump up 10 or so spots then them signing their own and getting a top FA.

They either sign their own, or make tough decisions let some of their own walk and use that money on a FA. 

Them jumping up 10 spots isn't unrealistic especially considering we're at pick 28.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users