You are here

Photo

This dog is making me a psychopathic individual...

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 emmittstaubach

emmittstaubach

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,889 posts
  • LocationWilliamsport, Pa

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:41 AM

I've always liked animals--cats, dogs, rabbits, birds, etc., but I CAN'T STAND my wife's latest best friend. He's a little terrier/pug mix named "Tugs", and I'm at my wits' end. First off, he's stupid on an epic scale. I realize dogs aren't considered deep thinkers, but he's tremendously dumb, EVEN FOR A DOG. He's untrainable, and when he's not barking or begging or whining, he's digging through the garbage can or humping the cat. It's a constant battle, 24/7, 365, except for the times he eating, sleeping or crapping on the rug. We've tried all kinds of training methods, and he doesn't seem to remember ANYTHING, except how to test my patience.

I'm honestly having violent thoughts concerning this dog, and I don't like that at all. Any suggestions?
  • Blackthorn likes this

I DON'T CLAIM TO BE ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY, BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE DELUSIONAL! :lol:

3 Important things to remember:

1)Overall, we are only speculators

2))Laughter and bacon feed the soul

3)It's only a game

#2 Blackthorn

Blackthorn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:02 AM

I am not a dog whisperer...But I got a feeling about that Dog also.  He sounds like a Philly Fan for sure.  Let's break down your statements.

First off, he's stupid on an epic scale = Philly fan.

not considered deep thinkers, but he's tremendously dumb= Philly fan..

He's untrainable = Philly fan.

barking or begging and whining, = Philly fan.

he's digging through the garbage can  = Philly fan.

he eating, sleeping or crapping on the rug = Philly fan.

test your patience = Philly fan.

Lol, this one seals it. 

humping the cat. = Philly fan. 

​That darn dog is an Eagles fan, classic case. One of my coworkers displays all those same symptoms. Sadly there is only one thing you can do. Well maybe two.

Send the dog to a Philly dogpound. He will be adopted quick because he will fit in. 

Are you and your wife happily married? Trade her in for a wife that brings home Dallas Dogs.  Ok, that was a joke about the wife. You should have put a dog clause in your prenup. 

Good Luck man. 

• Capn b, karmaisabeautifulthing, emmittstaubach and 4 others like this

#3 emmittstaubach

emmittstaubach

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 24,889 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:14 AM

Thanks, Blackie! If nothing else, you gave me a chuckle!
  • Blackthorn likes this

I DON'T CLAIM TO BE ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY, BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE DELUSIONAL! :lol:

3)It's only a game

#4 cwbyfan88

cwbyfan88

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,811 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:56 AM

Bahahahaha. Not all dogs are that dumb. I have a bull mastiff at home. She is hella smart. She stays in the yard off a leash. Follows almost any command. Stays off the furniture. Will not eat her food unless we tell her it's OK. Guards our child like he is hers. I can stack treats on her nose and she will not eat them until I give her the command. Understands a lot of words. We took her out after the latest snow storm we had. She dug through the 18" of snow and dug out her ball she had left. She knew exactly where it was. My dog amazes me every day. The one thing I'm still trying to train her on is to close the door after herself when she comes back in the house after using the bathroom.
  • Mad_Max likes this

#5 Mad_Max

Mad_Max

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,420 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:58 AM

I've always liked animals--cats, dogs, rabbits, birds, etc., but I CAN'T STAND my wife's latest best friend. He's a little terrier/pug mix named "Tugs", and I'm at my wits' end. First off, he's stupid on an epic scale. I realize dogs aren't considered deep thinkers, but he's tremendously dumb, EVEN FOR A DOG. He's untrainable, and when he's not barking or begging or whining, he's digging through the garbage can or humping the cat. It's a constant battle, 24/7, 365, except for the times he eating, sleeping or crapping on the rug. We've tried all kinds of training methods, and he doesn't seem to remember ANYTHING, except how to test my patience.

I'm honestly having violent thoughts concerning this dog, and I don't like that at all. Any suggestions?

My dog is allergic to a lot of stuff. I got him at 5 months old. He wasn't housebroke. He got a shot that makes him pee a lot. He has peed and pooped in the house lately. It's tough to get an animal that's already 5 months or more trained. My dog and I went around and around with housebreaking. And he still sneaks off and does his thing. My dog listens better to my wife. Try that, let her train him. Good luck. 

• cwbyfan88 likes this

Don't know if I want to be a member of a forum, that would have me as a member

#6 cwbyfan88

cwbyfan88

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,811 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:39 AM

My dog is allergic to a lot of stuff. I got him at 5 months old. He wasn't housebroke. He got a shot that makes him pee a lot. He has peed and pooped in the house lately. It's tough to get an animal that's already 5 months or more trained. My dog and I went around and around with housebreaking. And he still sneaks off and does his thing. My dog listens better to my wife. Try that, let her train him. Good luck.

We got our dog from a shelter. We went through so much. But we trained her. She was 4 when we got her. The guy who had her before snipped her ears and tail because he wanted to use her for boar hunting. She is deathly afraid of gun shots fire works and thunder. He also had her tied up outside his body shop all day and night. She hates a chain or rope. Thus we don't tie her up outside. She won't go after other dogs anymore. We got her to calm down so much. But big dogs are much easier. And she was my dog, but she became my wife's dog and follows her commands more than mine.
  • karmaisabeautifulthing likes this

#7 emmittstaubach

emmittstaubach

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 24,889 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:45 AM

Bahahahaha. Not all dogs are that dumb. I have a bull mastiff at home. She is hella smart. She stays in the yard off a leash. Follows almost any command. Stays off the furniture. Will not eat her food unless we tell her it's OK. Guards our child like he is hers. I can stack treats on her nose and she will not eat them until I give her the command. Understands a lot of words. We took her out after the latest snow storm we had. She dug through the 18" of snow and dug out her ball she had left. She knew exactly where it was. My dog amazes me every day. The one thing I'm still trying to train her on is to close the door after herself when she comes back in the house after using the bathroom.

Lucky!

3)It's only a game

#8 emmittstaubach

emmittstaubach

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 24,889 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:23 AM

My wife babies her dog. He's the "little boy". Gets away with stuff I never could!

3)It's only a game

#9 hadenough

hadenough

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts
  • LocationDuval County

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:18 AM

All dogs are rated on a scale of how many repetitions it takes to learn how to do something simple. Your Pug may very well be rated somewhere around the bulldog which is a stubborn breed. It takes about 85 repetitions for a bulldog to learn. Where to contrast that it takes a German Shepherd about 8-10 repetitions. Its going to be difficult to train your dog but I suggest an obedience training class. Just remember dogs work for food and you would be surprised how well that works while training.

• emmittstaubach and cwbyfan88 like this

#10 Runwildboys

Runwildboys

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 27,716 posts
  • LocationPJG - East Coast Chapter

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:46 AM

ES, it sounds like you have a Barn Dog. Find and old barn and leave it there...... Just kidding, I wouldn't do that.

Name it Chum, then take it shark fishing...... Just kidding, I wouldn't do that.

Name it Harris, and keep it in the basement with nothing but a Fathead of Eli, then once a week or so you go down and hose 'em both off..... Just kidding, I wouldn't do that.

What I would do is take it back where you got it.
  • karmaisabeautifulthing, emmittstaubach and THE OZ OF COWBOY COUNTRY like this

wOZF2v4.jpg

#11 Runwildboys

Runwildboys

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 27,716 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:50 AM

Did I not tell you how I did that with my dog?
Take a treat that fits under the door, and open the door just a few inches. Let the dog see the treat, then put it behind the door, against the threshold. When you give him permission to get the treat, the command is "Close the door."
He'll push the door shut to get to the treat.
Open the door a little wider each time.
  • emmittstaubach and cwbyfan88 like this

wOZF2v4.jpg

#12 cwbyfan88

cwbyfan88

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,811 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:00 PM

Did I not tell you how I did that with my dog?
Take a treat that fits under the door, and open the door just a few inches. Let the dog see the treat, then put it behind the door, against the threshold. When you give him permission to get the treat, the command is "Close the door."
He'll push the door shut to get to the treat.
Open the door a little wider each time.

Yeah you told me how to do that. Hasn't worked just yet. She does other methods of getting that treat. Like scratching at it or nudging the door open instead. But we are determined. We taught her to bark for a treat not too long ago. So I think we can teach her this too. Thats a clever way! I always wondered where to even start. So thank you!!

All dogs are rated on a scale of how many repetitions it takes to learn how to do something simple. Your Pug may very well be rated somewhere around the bulldog which is a stubborn breed. It takes about 85 repetitions for a bulldog to learn. Where to contrast that it takes a German Shepherd about 8-10 repetitions. Its going to be difficult to train your dog but I suggest an obedience training class. Just remember dogs work for food and you would be surprised how well that works while training.

True that!! The shelter told us that when we adopted ours. She needs to either walk or play before she gets food.

#13 bosd

bosd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:11 PM

As part of your trials and tribulations with this dog, did you ever have the misfortune of stepping on a pile of dog **** with your bare foot as you got out of bed on a Saturday morning?

• emmittstaubach likes this

Kaneh-Bosm

#14 Runwildboys

Runwildboys

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 27,716 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:30 PM

As part of your trials and tribulations with this dog, did you ever have the misfortune of stepping on a pile of dog **** with your bare foot as you got out of bed on a Saturday morning?

Absolutely one of the worst surprises ever!
  • bosd likes this

wOZF2v4.jpg

#15 emmittstaubach

emmittstaubach

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 24,889 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:22 PM

ES, it sounds like you have a Barn Dog. Find and old barn and leave it there...... Just kidding, I wouldn't do that.

Name it Chum, then take it shark fishing...... Just kidding, I wouldn't do that.

Name it Harris, and keep it in the basement with nothing but a Fathead of Eli, then once a week or so you go down and hose 'em both off..... Just kidding, I wouldn't do that.

What I would do is take it back where you got it.

My fave is the third one!

3)It's only a game

#16 emmittstaubach

emmittstaubach

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 24,889 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:26 PM

I was in my laundry room, which is carpeted, and barefooted a giant, squishy one. Obscenities-R-Us.
  • Needmorerings likes this

3)It's only a game

#17 Runwildboys

Runwildboys

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 27,716 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:32 PM

My fave is the third one!

I thought it might be. :)

wOZF2v4.jpg

#18 THE OZ OF COWBOY COUNTRY

THE OZ OF COWBOY COUNTRY

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,575 posts
  • LocationBeaumont Texas

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:12 PM

If it pulls a "Wedding Ringer" you have my permission to choke the hell out of it.

#19 bosd

bosd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:26 PM

Absolutely one of the worst surprises ever!

I was gonna go into work that day and catch up on some stuff, but after a start to a day like that, I said screw that isht.

• Runwildboys likes this

Kaneh-Bosm

#20 Needmorerings

Needmorerings

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationEastern annex of Texas called Louisiana

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:59 PM

I am not a dog whisperer...But I got a feeling about that Dog also.  He sounds like a Philly Fan for sure.  Let's break down your statements.

First off, he's stupid on an epic scale = Philly fan.

not considered deep thinkers, but he's tremendously dumb= Philly fan..

He's untrainable = Philly fan.

barking or begging and whining, = Philly fan.

he's digging through the garbage can  = Philly fan.

he eating, sleeping or crapping on the rug = Philly fan.

test your patience = Philly fan.

Lol, this one seals it. 

humping the cat. = Philly fan. 

​That darn dog is an Eagles fan, classic case. One of my coworkers displays all those same symptoms. Sadly there is only one thing you can do. Well maybe two.

Send the dog to a Philly dogpound. He will be adopted quick because he will fit in. 

Are you and your wife happily married? Trade her in for a wife that brings home Dallas Dogs.  Ok, that was a joke about the wife. You should have put a dog clause in your prenup. 

Good Luck man. 

These are MY PEOPLE!

ES, I saved this thread just in case I could think of anything to help you in your situation with Tugs.  I'm the last person you want advice from though.  I have to tear out carpet because of my own Eagles fans.   I watched the Ceasar show about a man that teaches people how to deal with particular situations.  In some, it showed ignoring bad behavior to deprive the dog of attention.  But if you do that, you could end up with a litter full of half Eagles and half Browns fans.  (Cats are notorious Browns fans because, they simply don't care.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users