157 replies to this topic

#1 Dak's Americas Team

Dak's Americas Team

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:31 PM

Ive always believed Romo should have had competition at the position... not from a Vet but a young player like Dak. This is what Belichek does with Brady almost every year, Bill Walsh did it with Montana. If Romo is the man... as many of the 9s claim, competition or in Brady's case a viable option is a good thing. 

The same applies with Romo... with Dak on the roster we should see a better Romo. A disciplined Romo. I don't think having Dak on the roster will help with the choke factor and I don't know how ready Romo is to take on a challenge. He bowed out at the first sign of real competition, even after Dak said its not his team... its Romo's. 

Romo may not be that guy but if he is, this could be one of the greatest stories in Cowboys History. Im not saying he has to win the Super Bowl bc we all know Romo is not that type of QB. But, an undrafted FA to backup to starter and back to starter... is a cool story.

if Romo just wants a job handed to him, he is who we thought he is. BUT, if Romo can embrace this role and fight to be a Dallas Cowboy all of the players we have lost and even a Zeke suspension will not be an issue. 

At the very least a QB competition will be fun to watch... 

#2 Al_Bundy

Al_Bundy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,413 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:00 AM

pretty cool how the post tries to be positive but has to have negative comments throughout it. "Choke, handed, no disipline." Why not just make it another, "Romo sucks and Dak is the best QB in Cowboy's history"

• Northern_Cowboy, Romotodez and 45yearCowboyFan like this

A vital team characteristic is the ability to overcome adversity. Any team acquires experience and endurance as it learns to fight back. This in turn builds the kind of character which seldom crumbles at a time of crisis or testing.
Tom Landry

Tom_Landry

________________________________________________________________________________________

SUPERBOWL_OR_BUST.jpg

#3 Relayer

Relayer

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,002 posts
  • LocationChristchurch NZ. (Go All Blacks)

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:17 AM

pretty cool how the post tries to be positive but has to have negative comments throughout it. "Choke, handed, no disipline." Why not just make it another, "Romo sucks and Dak is the best QB in Cowboy's history"

#clickbait

• Al_Bundy likes this

Romo%20press%20conference.jpg

The hardest hitter in football. :)

Darrell Royal

I might say this: we’ve always been a running team and I’m sure we will continue to be so. (We’ve been criticized for it, I might add.) But I’ve always felt that three things can happen to you whenever you throw the football, and two of them are bad. You can catch the ball, you can throw it incomplete, or have it intercepted.

#4 Pot Roast

Pot Roast

Top Recruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:39 AM

Funny stuff tonight.

EZEKIEL "BOOBIE" TRAP

IYes4tV.jpg

#5 Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,756 posts
  • LocationPJG Stealth Ops.

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:39 AM

Romo asked for a competition and it was denied. That's when he gave the concession speech. Seems to me that he has no problem with competition. It's the coaches who don't want one.

• Northern_Cowboy, Argean and yeah_malvy like this

#6 Luminator

Luminator

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,565 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:47 AM

Ive always believed Romo should have had competition at the position... not from a Vet but a young player like Dak. This is what Belichek does with Brady almost every year, Bill Walsh did it with Montana. If Romo is the man... as many of the 9s claim, competition or in Brady's case a viable option is a good thing. 

The same applies with Romo... with Dak on the roster we should see a better Romo. A disciplined Romo. I don't think having Dak on the roster will help with the choke factor and I don't know how ready Romo is to take on a challenge. He bowed out at the first sign of real competition, even after Dak said its not his team... its Romo's. 

Romo may not be that guy but if he is, this could be one of the greatest stories in Cowboys History. Im not saying he has to win the Super Bowl bc we all know Romo is not that type of QB. But, an undrafted FA to backup to starter and back to starter... is a cool story.

if Romo just wants a job handed to him, he is who we thought he is. BUT, if Romo can embrace this role and fight to be a Dallas Cowboy all of the players we have lost and even a Zeke suspension will not be an issue. 

Not another Romo vs Dak competition thread. This recycle theme is like an energizer bunny. Why not just continue one of the previous thread instead of starting a new one with the same twist?

• souporbowl likes this

#7 gamewatcher

gamewatcher

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,221 posts
  • LocationCorpus Christi, Texas

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:47 AM

...I think Romo's health and age had a lot to do with the final decision at starting QB...not to mention the wins while Dak was the QB;

Dak is young, physically fit, intelligent, and just has a real presence on the field...you can hear it from the other teammates, you can feel it as a fan!... Why hope an older vet can still produce when a young upstart rookie has already taken the team as far into the playoffs as Mr. Romo!...I've always been a fan of Romo. I still am...but I'm totally against any major QB competition...This is Dak's team...might as well.get used to it!... :mellow:

• -whip- and 45yearCowboyFan like this

"You have made me very angry ...very angry indeed !..  sleazy-422.gif

Molly Hatchet

https://www.youtube....h?v=Sq6mFereCCc

...an a song for the little aliens in all of us!

http://dai.ly/xfw3hf

#8 heathgs

heathgs

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,014 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:30 PM

Does it cure the defense and coaching?

• Luminator likes this

#9 Argean

Argean

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:05 PM

Does it cure the defense and coaching?

The only thing that'll cure those is if we can somehow pull a Donald Sterling on Jerry and make the nfl force him to sell the team

#10 G.2

G.2

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,962 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:07 PM

Prescott earned the starting job. 

• 45yearCowboyFan likes this

#11 45yearCowboyFan

45yearCowboyFan

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:15 PM

People, please, stop.

THERE WILL BE NO QUARTERBACK COMPETITION ON THE COWBOYS THIS YEAR.

This is Dak's team, quarterback wise, at least for this year, and probably the next year, even if Dak gets hurt or plays poorly in his second season.  If Romo somehow stays on the Cowboys, he'll be the backup, even if he comes in as relief for Dak due to injury and plays lights out.  There are too many young players on this team to make a 37 year old guy the starter.

Love Romo as a player, but as they say, time waits for no man....

I just hope Dak's career isn't wasted as Romo's was, having to carry a team with an average, at best, defense most of his years on the team...

#12 mightyjoe1

mightyjoe1

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:27 PM

I also believe open competition brings out the best in both players.....as long as they can mentally handle it. If they can't then maybe it's time to retire or join the girl scouts. I never agreed with that choking theory. But Romo has made some poor decisions by trying to do too much on Cowboy teams that couldn't run or just couldn't stop anyone on defense. His best chance to advance ,other than 2014, was this past season. Bring on a competition or see you in Houston Tony.

#13 CouchCoach

CouchCoach

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 24,345 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:42 PM

And possibly create some new ills.  This is a path they decided not to get on and the team has mentally moved on to a new QB1.

I do not recall Belichick or Walsh or any other HC in the last 20 years putting the established QB1 job up for competition.  The Packers didn't open up their job as a competition between Favre and Rodgers because they knew the consequences of that on their team.

There does seem to be some trepidation about Dak taking the next step with some posters here and I am one of them.  I didn't see any evidence that what made him a 4th rounder is not still his game, inaccuracy in the intermediate passing game and when under pressure.  That said, the die is cast and he's QB1 and the Romo era is over in Dallas.

Time to find out if the young QB can take the next step or if he will be a career game manager like Alex Smith.  The Cowboys can live with that if they can build around it.  The competition will not be between Dak and Romo but between Dak and himself....as it has always been.  And I sure as hell would not bet against him improving his game as he is a remarkable young man.

The king is dead, long live the king.  The future is now.

#14 Luminator

Luminator

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,565 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:30 PM

And possibly create some new ills.  This is a path they decided not to get on and the team has mentally moved on to a new QB1.

I do not recall Belichick or Walsh or any other HC in the last 20 years putting the established QB1 job up for competition.  The Packers didn't open up their job as a competition between Favre and Rodgers because they knew the consequences of that on their team.

There does seem to be some trepidation about Dak taking the next step with some posters here and I am one of them.  I didn't see any evidence that what made him a 4th rounder is not still his game, inaccuracy in the intermediate passing game and when under pressure.  That said, the die is cast and he's QB1 and the Romo era is over in Dallas.

Time to find out if the young QB can take the next step or if he will be a career game manager like Alex Smith.  The Cowboys can live with that if they can build around it.  The competition will not be between Dak and Romo but between Dak and himself....as it has always been.  And I sure as hell would not bet against him improving his game as he is a remarkable young man.

The king is dead, long live the king.  The future is now.

Many of us old goats may recall the controversy and stir when Landry could not make up his mind starting a younger Staubach over the veteran Morton and hot swapping them on plays for half season.

Starting Roger over Morton was one of the most important decisions in Cowboy history. We may be seeing that now with Dak but its too early to tell because we have big time issues on the other side of the ball.

#15 CouchCoach

CouchCoach

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 24,345 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:37 PM

Many of us old goats may recall the controversy and stir when Landry could not make up his mind starting a younger Staubach over the veteran Morton and hot swapping them on plays for half season.

Starting Roger over Morton was one of the most important decisions in Cowboy history. We may be seeing that now with Dak but its too early to tell because we have big time issues on the other side of the ball.

And he resorted to rotating QB's but he had two QB's that could take teams to the SB and did.  This situation is different and the decision seems easy to me.

Earlier in the season I said we were closer than far way on that other side of the ball but now we are not.  I really didn't think they'd let 4 of the DB's walk that were in that marginal secondary but that is the symptom.  The cause is poor cap management and D drafting and there is little proof that they've improved in that area yet.

I am assuming the DC is on board with these changes but he sure as hell leaned on those 4 players in that BDBD.

#16 Luminator

Luminator

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,565 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:47 PM

And he resorted to rotating QB's but he had two QB's that could take teams to the SB and did.  This situation is different and the decision seems easy to me.

Earlier in the season I said we were closer than far way on that other side of the ball but now we are not.  I really didn't think they'd let 4 of the DB's walk that were in that marginal secondary but that is the symptom.  The cause is poor cap management and D drafting and there is little proof that they've improved in that area yet.

I am assuming the DC is on board with these changes but he sure as hell leaned on those 4 players in that BDBD.

Back then it was not all QB that took teams to the big dance, those teams were very balanced and had a formidable defense. All they needed was a spark, and Roger was the one the ignited the fire.

After this year's draft and FA settles down, we will get a preview of the real defense. Right now, the FO is walking thru a construction zone and its all filled with fan conjecture for a work in progress for the defense and there is no way we can match up to another 13-3 record with this group of castaways.

#17 Bobhaze

Bobhaze

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,723 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Tx.

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:54 PM

And possibly create some new ills. This is a path they decided not to get on and the team has mentally moved on to a new QB1.

I do not recall Belichick or Walsh or any other HC in the last 20 years putting the established QB1 job up for competition. The Packers didn't open up their job as a competition between Favre and Rodgers because they knew the consequences of that on their team.

There does seem to be some trepidation about Dak taking the next step with some posters here and I am one of them. I didn't see any evidence that what made him a 4th rounder is not still his game, inaccuracy in the intermediate passing game and when under pressure. That said, the die is cast and he's QB1 and the Romo era is over in Dallas.

Time to find out if the young QB can take the next step or if he will be a career game manager like Alex Smith. The Cowboys can live with that if they can build around it. The competition will not be between Dak and Romo but between Dak and himself....as it has always been. And I sure as hell would not bet against him improving his game as he is a remarkable young man.

The king is dead, long live the king. The future is now.

Amen. The only people in all the NFL world that haven't accepted that Romo is gone and that it was decided many months ago are the people who still think Romo is a top 5 QB and can play a full season.

I appreciated TR's tenure here. He was underrated if anything. Most years he was the only thing separating us from multiple losing seasons. His talent was mostly wasted by Jerry not having a good enough team around him. But his days in Dallas are finished until he's inducted into the ROH in a few years. It's over for Tony in big D. And if I was TR, I would take the FOX job while I can still walk.

#18 jay94

jay94

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,418 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:00 PM

Being that you like men and have a man crush you would have to get a new one if they had  a qb battle, luckily for us you can hide your true sexuality.

#19 Luminator

Luminator

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,565 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:21 PM

Being that you like men and have a man crush you would have to get a new one if they had  a qb battle, luckily for us you can hide your true sexuality.

FYSA... attacking others is against forum rules...

#20 Luminator

Luminator

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,565 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:28 PM

Amen. The only people in all the NFL world that haven't accepted that Romo is gone and that it was decided many months ago are the people who still think Romo is a top 5 QB and can play a full season.

I appreciated TR's tenure here. He was underrated if anything. Most years he was the only thing separating us from multiple losing seasons. His talent was mostly wasted by Jerry not having a good enough team around him. But his days in Dallas are finished until he's inducted into the ROH in a few years. It's over for Tony in big D. And if I was TR, I would take the FOX job while I can still walk.

Some of the fans are still holding on to the idea that Romo will still play for Dallas because he is technically still under contract and the team has not released him yet. Many of us see the writing on the wall but until it actually happens, the hope will continue to linger on for a little longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users