286 replies to this topic

#1 czarnickolas

czarnickolas

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:54 PM

I watched two different online sources, NFL.COM, and ESPN, BOTH saying Romo does not deserve to be in the Hall of Fame. Got news for you fella's. Winning SuperBowls is NOT a prerequisite for entry into the HOF. If so then MANY players would not be in there. Ala Dan Fouts. One of the greatest EVER, but never won anything. Tony Romo is the 4th highest rated QB in HISTORY, if he does not deserve to be in there, then why does numbers 5, 6 7, 8 etc belong? Explain THAT to me, someone PLEASE!

• cowboyscrzygal, Darthkuriboh, Luminator and 2 others like this

#2 northerncowboynation

northerncowboynation

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,040 posts
  • LocationChatham, ontario

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:04 PM

I watched two different online sources, NFL.COM, and ESPN, BOTH saying Romo does not deserve to be in the Hall of Fame. Got news for you fella's. Winning SuperBowls is NOT a prerequisite for entry into the HOF. If so then MANY players would not be in there. Ala Dan Fouts. One of the greatest EVER, but never won anything. Tony Romo is the 4th highest rated QB in HISTORY, if he does not deserve to be in there, then why does numbers 5, 6 7, 8 etc belong? Explain THAT to me, someone PLEASE!

Yes, passer rating would say HOF worthy but no other stat would bare that out. ROH'er worthy for sure, HOF worthy, not IMO which doesn't count because I'm not a voter

#3 OldSchoolBum

OldSchoolBum

Professional Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:04 PM

Because he choked with talent on the team. If we constantly made the playoffs ok maybe. If we went to a couple Conference championships and lost ok maybe. But 2 wins in the playoffs in 10 years. 2!!! Absolutely not. I'm sure fouts won more playoff games than Romo i just checked he won 1 more game. But, he also got his team to 2 AFC championship games. It was a different game back then and I'm sure he didn't fumble a field goal snap to lose a playoff game tho.
  • Keithfansince5, Gmen4ever and Hennessy_King like this

#4 Majestic_Joe

Majestic_Joe

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:14 PM

I would have to really give pause before conceding that Romo belongs in the Hall of Fame;  nonetheless he was a prolific QB for the Cowboys and was definitely one player who kept the team competitive since he took over the starting QB job.  Romo's career QB rating is 97.1, which is very good. Still, I think the HOF voters would look beyond the player's individual performance to determine his effect on his team and on the league during the time he played.

Someone will make a case for Romo about five years from now or so;  we'll see what the voters decide.

http://www.pro-footb.../R/RomoTo00.htm

• czarnickolas, WECap193 and MistyAnn like this

#5 Coach

Coach

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:26 PM

Who knows... honestly I think too many better than average players are getting in anymore anyway. When you have a defined number of players that you are going to vote in every year it can get a little watered down. And if stats were all it took, then explain why TO isn't in already. That's not a shot a Romo, but at the HoF process anymore.

I hate to lose more than I love to win!

#6 czarnickolas

czarnickolas

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:53 PM

Because he choked with talent on the team. If we constantly made the playoffs ok maybe. If we went to a couple Conference championships and lost ok maybe. But 2 wins in the playoffs in 10 years. 2!!! Absolutely not. I'm sure fouts won more playoff games than Romo i just checked he won 1 more game. But, he also got his team to 2 AFC championship games. It was a different game back then and I'm sure he didn't fumble a field goal snap to lose a playoff game tho.

All that is required is that you were one of the best EVER at your position. NOT SB's. So therefore, he is the 4th best EVER. Let that digest for a minute. How can the 4th best QB EVER not get in??? How did 5,6, 7, 8 get in? They did not all win SB's.

• Luminator likes this

#7 czarnickolas

czarnickolas

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:00 PM

Who knows... honestly I think too many better than average players are getting in anymore anyway. When you have a defined number of players that you are going to vote in every year it can get a little watered down. And if stats were all it took, then explain why TO isn't in already. That's not a shot a Romo, but at the HoF process anymore.

Part of the prerequisite is that you played the game with honor and integrity. Owens did neither.

• kskboys and Needmorerings like this

#8 #1GM-Will-McClay-Jr.-Jr.

#1GM-Will-McClay-Jr.-Jr.

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  • Location(Dallas Cowboys War Room) Getting Ready To Draft Defensive Ends!

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:10 PM

I think playoff performance has A lot to do with it as well. And Romo playoffs numbers are not to good. Dude won't make the Hall A Fame during are life times that's for sure.

• northerncowboynation and Keithfansince5 like this

#1GM-Will-McClay-Jr.-Jr.  "Egotistical Self Centered Self Proclaimed #1 General Manager Football Talent Scout In The Entire World.... Will McClay Jr. Jr. Is A Quick Tempered ...Always Right...Football..... Genius........Jet Flying.............Mansion Living.........Ferrari Bentley Rolls Royce Driving Son Of A Gun WOOOOOOOOW!! Wall Street Mindset........If You're Not Selling Something Then You're Not Winning"

62dd74d9b3fe558de0058107e6f08ce5.gif

#9 northerncowboynation

northerncowboynation

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,040 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:13 PM

Part of the prerequisite is that you played the game with honor and integrity. Owens did neither.

Owens was never on a SB winning team either. It's possible to get in without one but for QB's it's a big consideration, goes to leadership and whether we admit it or not many people questioned Romo's leadership ability early in his career

#10 acr731

acr731

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,891 posts
  • LocationTEXAS!

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:14 PM

Sorry, he doesn't get in.  I was always a fan of his, but he seemed to always fold when the games mattered the most (read playoff time).

Marino never won the big game either, but at least he got there.  That's why he is in there.

• Keithfansince5 likes this

#11 northerncowboynation

northerncowboynation

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,040 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:17 PM

Owens will get in, I have no doubts on that. The voters are sending a message to TO and others like him IMO

• Keithfansince5 likes this

#12 acr731

acr731

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,891 posts
  • LocationTEXAS!

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:17 PM

Owens had no integrity?  I always considered him as a crazy nut job.  Lack of integrity never crossed my mind.  I can't recall him ever being dishonest.

#13 Geno T

Geno T

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts
  • LocationAustin TX, Branson MO, Cape Cod MA, SoCal, Belgium, various points beyond

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:35 PM

ROH, for sure.

HOF, marginal.

The raw stats are there, but where's the deep playoff runs or even a SB appearance?

"The only stat that matters is the final score." — Bobby Layne

#14 capcomeback

capcomeback

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:57 PM

Yes, passer rating would say HOF worthy but no other stat would bare that out. ROH'er worthy for sure, HOF worthy, not IMO which doesn't count because I'm not a voter

So would Comp % where he's also a top 5 all-time QB.

Here are the key stats from simply a stat perspective:

Based upon 100 starts:

Comp% tied for #4

Passer rating:  #3

Passing Yards per attempt tied for #6

TDs #21

Passing Yards: #29

The problem is that the old fashioned voters are too married to stats that favor volume throwers over accurate passers. You get rewarded for being a gunslinger versus showing skill. Eli is the prime example. he beats Romo in yards and TDs but he's way behind Romo in the other categories and has also thrown almost 100 more picks to only 72 more TDs.

• Luminator likes this

#15 Big_D

Big_D

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,088 posts
  • LocationLodi, New Jersey

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:02 PM

I think he gets in. The guy put up numbers.

1482809267603.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

#16 Keithfansince5

Keithfansince5

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,192 posts
  • LocationLehigh Acres, FL.

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:05 PM

No Romo is not HOF material.

• Hennessy_King likes this

Check out my business website here.

#17 northerncowboynation

northerncowboynation

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,040 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:08 PM

Owens had no integrity?  I always considered him as a crazy nut job.  Lack of integrity never crossed my mind.  I can't recall him ever being dishonest.

He did throw Garcia under the bus, the rest of it was "show time" and frickin Deion made it and is almost as obnoxious as TO

#18 capcomeback

capcomeback

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:13 PM

ROH, for sure.

HOF, marginal.

The raw stats are there, but where's the deep playoff runs or even a SB appearance?

Where is the supporting talent compared to Aikman and Staubach? Even Rodgers and Brees had talent around them on both sides of the ball when they won theirs. You can't win if you don't get adequate support.

• Luminator likes this

#19 heathgs

heathgs

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,068 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:13 PM

The voters are saying no already.  I'm sure there will be a lot of future complaints about Romo not getting in but it's not even going to be close.

#20 THE OZ OF COWBOY COUNTRY

THE OZ OF COWBOY COUNTRY

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,248 posts
  • LocationBeaumont Texas

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:31 PM

The marker a HOF QB has been 40,000 yards for years on end.
  • 45yearCowboyFan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users