288 replies to this topic

#241 capcomeback

capcomeback

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:09 PM

3 picks for RW, completely wasted a 1st on Felix Jones.. that was just Jerry being Jerry. Nevermind the Phillips/Garrett hire. Ridiculous decisions snowballed. The team in 2006 was headed in a much better direction, then Jerry's slimy paws screwed it up like everyone expected he would.

You'd have thought Jerry had learned his lesson with Joey Galloway. Jones was a part-time back and a Razorback consolation prize (for the guy he eventually got anyway, lol). Still, it was not just the 1st rounders they screwed up. I count only two firsts, one second a third and a fifth they hit on (from 2006-12). That would be great, if you were talking about one season and pretty good if you were talking about two, but we're talking about seven seasons here. That is close to 40 picks they whiffed on or where the players they used to trade for them failed to live up to even the most modest expectations.

There is no doubt that the team would have been a lot better had they sat and drafted for those two seasons (and hopefully hit on few more of players they drafted) than the whole RW fiasco. 

#242 Big_D

Big_D

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,439 posts
  • LocationLodi, New Jersey

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:16 PM

You'd have thought Jerry had learned his lesson with Joey Galloway. Jones was a part-time back and a Razorback consolation prize (for the guy he eventually got anyway, lol). Still, it was not just the 1st rounders they screwed up. I count only two firsts, one second a third and a fifth they hit on (from 2006-12). That would be great, if you were talking about one season and pretty good if you were talking about two, but we're talking about seven seasons here. That is close to 40 picks they whiffed on or where the players they used to trade for them failed to live up to even the most modest expectations.

There is no doubt that the team would have been a lot better had they sat and drafted for those two seasons (and hopefully hit on few more of players they drafted) than the whole RW fiasco. 

they'd be better if they did that every year. You could go as recent as the Claiborne, Escobar, DLaw picks. Just stupidity that continue to set them back. Honestly I don't know who's making these decisions, if it's just Jerry? if they're collective? But they continue to shoot themselves in the foot. They drafted much better staying put the past 2 years, so we'll see if they have a stupid attack in this draft because they're due for one.

1482809267603.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

#243 capcomeback

capcomeback

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:23 PM

they'd be better if they did that every year. You could go as recent as the Claiborne, Escobar, DLaw picks. Just stupidity that continue to set them back. Honestly I don't know who's making these decisions, if it's just Jerry? if they're collective? But they continue to shoot themselves in the foot. They drafted much better staying put the past 2 years, so we'll see if they have a stupid attack in this draft because they're due for one.

Claiborne was in my 2006-2012 window, so I'm with you there.  Escobar was a miss in 2013, but also produced Fredrick and TWill. The more I think about it, we should declare 2013 a flop too. With only two players seeing a 2nd contract, I can continue the seven year window to make 8 (as players like Escobar and Wilcox were remarkably disappointing for 2nd round and 3rd round picks respectively). So the new era of draft futility expands to 8 seasons.

As all of the guys In '14, might be a disappointment too (as we have only three players still under contract from '14 draft class). Martin is great and Hitchens has been decent (considering he was a 4th rounder), but so far, D-Law has failed to live up to his potential (and only has one more year). This is particularly true, because he cost Dallas a 3rd rounder in addition to the 2nd rounder we drafted him at (as part of a move up trade).

#244 SayWhatChaLike

SayWhatChaLike

Novice User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:18 AM

Tony Romo belongs in the ring of honor because he's been the face of the franchise for the last decade. He was an exciting high profile QB who came out of nowhere as an undrafted FA. However, as much as he was beloved by Cowboys Nation he doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame. Yes, his stats are deserving and he does have the 4th best career QB rating. But QB ratings alone 't does not punch your ticket in to Canton. He not even amongst the the top 5 QB's of his era (Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger). With little playoff success and no rings his career falls just short of HOF'er. That being said I was one of Tony's biggest fans and I'll definitely be in the house at ATT Stadium when he goes in to the Ring of Honor.

#245 SayWhatChaLike

SayWhatChaLike

Novice User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:18 PM

Claiborne was in my 2006-2012 window, so I'm with you there. Escobar was a miss in 2013, but also produced Fredrick and TWill. The more I think about it, we should declare 2013 a flop too. With only two players seeing a 2nd contract, I can continue the seven year window to make 8 (as players like Escobar and Wilcox were remarkably disappointing for 2nd round and 3rd round picks respectively). So the new era of draft futility expands to 8 seasons.

As all of the guys In '14, might be a disappointment too (as we have only three players still under contract from '14 draft class). Martin is great and Hitchens has been decent (considering he was a 4th rounder), but so far, D-Law has failed to live up to his potential (and only has one more year). This is particularly true, because he cost Dallas a 3rd rounder in addition to the 2nd rounder we drafted him at (as part of a move up trade).

Trading up in the draft hasn't really worked out for them lately. But trading down has. I see them sticking with 28 today.

#246 capcomeback

capcomeback

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:07 PM

Tony Romo belongs in the ring of honor because he's been the face of the franchise for the last decade. He was an exciting high profile QB who came out of nowhere as an undrafted FA. However, as much as he was beloved by Cowboys Nation he doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame. Yes, his stats are deserving and he does have the 4th best career QB rating. But QB ratings alone 't does not punch your ticket in to Canton. He not even amongst the the top 5 QB's of his era (Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger). With little playoff success and no rings his career falls just short of HOF'er. That being said I was one of Tony's biggest fans and I'll definitely be in the house at ATT Stadium when he goes in to the Ring of Honor.

I'll give you the first 3 (and I'm assuming you meant to add Rodgers in there too), but Big Ben is statistically below Romo in virtually every category that measures accuracy and efficiency. Besides PR, Romo is all-time top 5 in several other categories too. As far as postseason, Romo has never had the kind of talent on both sides of the ball that Big Ben has. To win rings you need enough talent around you. Romo never had.

#247 jay94

jay94

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:28 AM

I would be fine with him going in, but don't see it happening unless he comes back and has another successful year or two, his playoff record has tarnished his legacy, and most Cowboy fans have yet to forgive him for the bobbled snap against the Seahawks.  I think he said something along the lines "If that is the worst thing that has happened to me I've lived a good life", Cowboy fans went ape $$$$ after he said that.

#248 .G2.

.G2.

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,941 posts
  • LocationPJG Investigation Unit

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:11 PM

I'll give you the first 3 (and I'm assuming you meant to add Rodgers in there too), but Big Ben is statistically below Romo in virtually every category that measures accuracy and efficiency. Besides PR, Romo is all-time top 5 in several other categories too. As far as postseason, Romo has never had the kind of talent on both sides of the ball that Big Ben has. To win rings you need enough talent around you. Romo never had.

He's top 6-10 considering ALL things, not just accuracy stats. When you pass for less you're efficiency is higher. Not to mention Romo was hardly ever the best of the NFL in your pretty stats, except for 2014. When he passed less.

I would be fine with him going in, but don't see it happening unless he comes back and has another successful year or two, his playoff record has tarnished his legacy, and most Cowboy fans have yet to forgive him for the bobbled snap against the Seahawks.  I think he said something along the lines "If that is the worst thing that has happened to me I've lived a good life", Cowboy fans went ape $$$$ after he said that.

The bobbled snap is a little over exposed, but it is one of the few factors that led to losses late season and win or go hoe games. So while it's not THE reason, it's certainly one of them. 

As far as him saying that's not the worst thing that can happen, it was totally blown out of proportion. Just like many other things fans get silly about.

#249 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,727 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:45 PM

I've been a Romo fan since day 1 but he's not a HOF player.   His stats don't bear that out or his results.   If you don't have rings ,  you need gawdy stats and he has neither.  He's got only 2 playoff wins.........both wildcard games.     Just not enough success.

I do think he's going in the ROH,   though.

#250 UK Matt

UK Matt

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:20 PM

Tough one isn't it. I guess we'll find out in about 5 years time :-/

#251 jay94

jay94

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,083 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:26 PM

Tough one isn't it. I guess we'll find out in about 5 years time :-/

HoF is way to crowded for him to get in year one regardless.

#252 .G2.

.G2.

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 20,941 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 04:18 PM

I've been a Romo fan since day 1 but he's not a HOF player.   His stats don't bear that out or his results.   If you don't have rings ,  you need gawdy stats and he has neither.  He's got only 2 playoff wins.........both wildcard games.     Just not enough success.

If he gets into the ROH then so should Danny White.

#253 cern

cern

Landry Hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,601 posts
  • Locationmy ranch in west texas

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:20 PM

if he wins the u.s. open, he's a shoe in for the hof. 

simba ni simba.  hata akila majani.

#254 capcomeback

capcomeback

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:12 PM

If he gets into the ROH then so should Danny White.

Danny is behind Tony in just about every statistical category, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Again, he has a number of All-time great stats (even a few era proof ones). There are a number of QBs with dubious stats who are in the HOF. While there are a number of today's QBs who compare with him favorably in yards and TDs, Romo pretty much dominates most of them in every other other category (Comp%, PR, YPA, AdYPA, TD/INT Ratio, etc). When you consider the lack of talent he played with for much of his career on both sides of the ball (due to poor drafting, trades, injuries etc.), he certainly warrants serious consideration. It may not be enough, but I hold out hope that folks will remember his contributions.

#255 .G2.

.G2.

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 20,941 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:25 PM

Danny is behind Tony in just about every statistical category, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Of course you don't.

Stats aren't the only thing that factors in.

#256 .G2.

.G2.

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 20,941 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:31 PM

Again, he has a number of All-time great stats (even a few era proof ones). There are a number of QBs with dubious stats who are in the HOF. While there are a number of today's QBs who compare with him favorably in yards and TDs, Romo pretty much dominates most of them in every other other category (Comp%, PR, YPA, AdYPA, TD/INT Ratio, etc). When you consider the lack of talent he played with for much of his career on both sides of the ball (due to poor drafting, trades, injuries etc.), he certainly warrants serious consideration. It may not be enough, but I hold out hope that folks will remember his contributions.

He led the NFL in any stat very few times. Very few.

#257 capcomeback

capcomeback

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:35 PM

Of course you don't.

Stats aren't the only thing that factors in.

Yeah, of course punting ability matters much more, lol.

#258 capcomeback

capcomeback

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:37 PM

He led the NFL in any stat very few times. Very few.

Yet he was near the top enough to be among the all-time best in the categories I mentioned (one where the great HOFmer Sid Luckman is #1 and Tony is #6, so era has nothing to do with it.).

#259 .G2.

.G2.

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 20,941 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:17 AM

Yet he was near the top enough to be among the all-time best in the categories I mentioned (one where the great HOFmer Sid Luckman is #1 and Tony is #6, so era has nothing to do with it.).

No. he wasn't. Not in the NFL during his era. Maybe in the franchise, not the NFL. There were 5-6 other QBs that had more of an impact. 

Your broken record "All time best" claim is not in full possession of the facts. Cherry pick all you want, it won't matter and it won't get him in. It is what it is.

#260 capcomeback

capcomeback

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 01:03 AM

No. he wasn't. Not in the NFL during his era. Maybe in the franchise, not the NFL. There were 5-6 other QBs that had more of an impact. 

Your broken record "All time best" claim is not in full possession of the facts. Cherry pick all you want, it won't matter and it won't get him in. It is what it is.

The facts are the facts. Romo was one of the best in a number of stats that impacted his team. For most of his career, that team was not very good. He made a few mistakes at critical times, but carried his team a heck of a lot further than it should have gone most of the time. The problem is that some Cowboys fans dwell on those mistakes and think that he was the main reason for this team's failure during his tenure. Most of those people talk like Tony played with the caliber of talent we had in the 70s and 90s. Those folks are delusional if they honestly believe that. We drafted and traded for garbage most of those years and Jerry knows it (which is why he was so bittersweet about 2016 now that we finally put it together).

Are Romo's stats worthy of consideration for the HOF? Sure. Will he get in? I don't now. Maybe not. There are  Cowboys who are more worthy than Romo who haven't and probably won't get in. It's part of being a fan of the most beloved, yet reviled team in the league.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users