#261 .G2.

.G2.

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,548 posts
  • LocationPJG Investigation Unit

Posted 06 May 2017 - 03:36 AM

The facts are the facts. Romo was one of the best in a number of stats that impacted his team. For most of his career, that team was not very good. He made a few mistakes at critical times, but carried his team a heck of a lot further than it should have gone most of the time. The problem is that some Cowboys fans dwell on those mistakes and think that he was the main reason for this team's failure during his tenure. Most of those people talk like Tony played with the caliber of talent we had in the 70s and 90s. Those folks are delusional if they honestly believe that. We drafted and traded for garbage most of those years and Jerry knows it (which is why he was so bittersweet about 2016 now that we finally put it together).

Are Romo's stats worthy of consideration for the HOF? Sure. Will he get in? I don't now. Maybe not. There are  Cowboys who are more worthy than Romo who haven't and probably won't get in. It's part of being a fan of the most beloved, yet reviled team in the league.

Sorry dude. I love Romo, but he wasn't the best of the best in his era. No matter how you want to paint it. Regardless of the team or coaching around him, he just simply wasn't. 2014 he led the NFL in a couple of stats. Big deal. You can't consider him for the HOF because he "may have been better with a better team." Not how it works.

Blah blah blah, "for most of his career the team wasn't good enough." He was part of the team. And the team was part of the reason he was successful in the few seasons he actually was healthy enough to play. 

Romo was simply not the best in the NFL during his era to be considered. Sorry.

• kskboys likes this

#262 MistyAnn

MistyAnn

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • LocationArlington

Posted 06 May 2017 - 08:15 PM

I think TO gets in first, he was the best of his contemporaries for well over a decade, I'm not sure Romo really ever was considered the best QB around at any stage. Although we sure loved him here.

If any team is still struggling to fill the WR spot.....#TO Available.

I

Love

Dallas

#263 capcomeback

capcomeback

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:58 PM

I think TO gets in first, he was the best of his contemporaries for well over a decade, I'm not sure Romo really ever was considered the best QB around at any stage. Although we sure loved him here.

If any team is still struggling to fill the WR spot.....#TO Available.

There are a lot of QBs in the NFL HOF  some who were not considered the best of their time. In fact, considering overlap, here are a number of QBs in the HOF who's careers overlapped for more than five seasons.

Marino

Elway

Montana

Fouts

Favre

Aikman

Young

Moon

Kelly

Here is another grouping, some who overlapped

Staubach

Namath

Bradshaw

Griesie

Tarkenton

Stabler

Here is yet another grouping with some overlapping from the above list

Tittle

Dawson

Starr

Unitas

Jurgenson

Blanda

My point is you don't necessarily have to be the best QB in an era to get in. Look at the 80s/90s group with that had 9 guys in it. Here's another list:

P. Manning

T, Brady

A. Rodgers

D, Brees

Tony Romo

B. Roethlisberger

P. Rivers

E. Manning

D McNabb

Any of these guys that cover a 15 year window could get into the HOF and it wouldn't be too far fetched based upon the guys from the previous group.

#264 PC Principal

PC Principal

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,266 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:46 AM

We'll never forget you Tommy. Thanks for the memories. 

#265 northerncowboynation

northerncowboynation

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,078 posts
  • LocationChatham, ontario

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:38 PM

Just one problem with that theory. Romo played in a passing era. A throw the ball era where QB's and Wr's are protected by rules for hitting the QB too hard, too high, too low. Now, consider the QB's of the passing ROMO era. From top to bottom.... Brady, Manning 1, Rodgers, Brees, Rothlesberger... 5 sure fire HOF'ers first ballot. Now consider two more, Rivers and Romo. Their careers almost mirrored each other. Neither played on teams that were quite good enough. Neither won much in the playoffs and the last games of each season was always a loss. The only difference is that Rivers is still playing because he's been relatively healthy. The top 5 of the passing era go in first. Not all on the same ballot either. When Rivers get's the nod, Romo will get the nod. It's entirely possible that neither will but if Rivers makes it Romo should without any arguments whatsoever. It will take 10 years at best before either make it and then there will be others to contend with, Eli being one

#266 45yearCowboyFan

45yearCowboyFan

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:15 PM

"I'm sure he didn't fumble a field goal snap to lose a playoff game tho"

First of all, even if he hadn't fumbled the snap and the field goal was made, it would have put the Cowboys up by less than a field goal with over 3 minutes left.  There is NO WAY to say that the defense could have kept the Seahawks from getting into field goal range.  With a touchback to the 20, and needing only about the 30 for a makeable field goal, that's only 50 yards the Seahawks would need to go for a fg, and with Wilson able to run well, getting that 50 yards wouldn't be that tough.  If he had fumbled the snap on the last play of the game, or with only 30 seconds or so on the clock, then yeah you could confidently say the fumble "lost" the game.

Second, Romo was a quarterback, to get into the HOF you're judged as a quarterback, not as a field goal try holder.  Lots of HOF quarterbacks never held for field goals, if they had they might have fumbled at a crucial time also.  Muffing a field goal snap has NOTHING to do with determining if a quarterback should make the HOF, it's never even mentioned.  Danny White was a darn good punter as well as quarterback, but he's probably not going to make the HOF either, but if things like muffing snaps is used to downgrade a quarterback's evaluation, then White's evaluation should be boosted because he punted well.

Do I think Romo will make the HOF?  No, maybe 30 years from now as a veteran nomination, but even that's a stretch.  Do I think he deserves it?  Again, no, he played very well, but not to HOF level, to me that's reserved for the very best, and Romo wasn't one of those.  Of course there are others I think don't deserve to be in there, either, like Lynn Swann.  But again, that has nothing to do with whether or not Romo makes it.  Certainly it should have something to do with Drew Pearson getting in, he had more catches and did more things than Swann did, the Hall needs to recognize that Swann got in because he was on a 4-time SB winning team and had one highlight reel catch in a SB...

• kskboys likes this

#267 45yearCowboyFan

45yearCowboyFan

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:31 PM

"if Rivers makes it Romo should without any arguments whatsoever"

Ah, don't think so.  Rivers, after he became the starter, has never missed a single game in 11 years.  Romo missed 37 in his last 11 years.  The missed games means Romo's passing yardage is 11,000 yards under Rivers', not fair but who said the HOF voters vote fairly?  Rivers threw for over 4,000 yards 8 times, Romo only 3 times.

And Rivers is still playing, he'll likely get well over 50,000 yards passing, and again that's due in large part to the number of games played, but when assuming Rivers never also makes a SB, 50,000 yards is lots more impressive than Romo's 34,000.

There's more to it than numbers, of course, but Rivers making it to me won't have much effect on Romo's making it or not..

#268 MistyAnn

MistyAnn

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • LocationArlington

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:47 PM

I think TO gets in first, Romo and White..I'm not sure they ever get in...well above average with their contemporaries but I'm not sure they get in, I would be surprised but delighted for either of them.

I

Love

Dallas

#269 Dallas'72

Dallas'72

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:13 PM

My opinion, NO! Does my vote really count?  lol.

He does not belong in the HOF simply because he is not a HOF QB.

• kskboys, jsb357 and 45yearCowboyFan like this

#270 Wrecker

Wrecker

Amateur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationLow level Earth orbit

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:47 PM

I wouldn't think he'd get in, but I lost faith in the system. There are some players I wouldn't consider hall of famers and there are players that haven't gotten in that should be. It's too political. So, I can actually see Romo getting in because he walked a straight line.

That being said he wasn't the best in his era. Top 10, maybe but didn't accomplish anything except team stat records.

#271 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 43,715 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:38 AM

Using QBR as a sole measuring tool to compare QB's from different eras is silly.  

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#272 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,887 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:56 AM

I watched two different online sources, NFL.COM, and ESPN, BOTH saying Romo does not deserve to be in the Hall of Fame. Got news for you fella's. Winning SuperBowls is NOT a prerequisite for entry into the HOF. If so then MANY players would not be in there. Ala Dan Fouts. One of the greatest EVER, but never won anything. Tony Romo is the 4th highest rated QB in HISTORY, if he does not deserve to be in there, then why does numbers 5, 6 7, 8 etc belong? Explain THAT to me, someone PLEASE!

Fouts won a lot of playoff games and played in some epic,  legendary games. He also played in an era where a 300 yard passing game really meant something.    Romo's career when added up in this pass happy age of football is unremarkable on a HOF scale.  Heck,  it took cowboy fans only 1 season to forget all about him.  He has no chance at the HOF,   and I was a fan.  The ROH is more realistic b/c he holds a lot of cowboy passing records and Jerry loves the guy.. 

• kskboys and heathgs like this

#273 .G2.

.G2.

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,548 posts
  • LocationPJG Investigation Unit

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:27 PM

Fouts won a lot of playoff games and played in some epic,  legendary games. He also played in an era where a 300 yard passing game really meant something.    Romo's career when added up in this pass happy age of football is unremarkable on a HOF scale.  Heck,  it took cowboy fans only 1 season to forget all about him.  He has no chance at the HOF,   and I was a fan.  The ROH is more realistic b/c he holds a lot of cowboy passing records and Jerry loves the guy.. 

Good post. Realistic.

• kskboys and atlantacowboy like this

#274 jsb357

jsb357

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,576 posts
  • LocationWaco, Texas USA

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:21 PM

He does not belong in the HOF simply because he is not a HOF QB.

^^^^ This

#275 Banned in DC

Banned in DC

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:13 PM

The media seems to vote themselves in lately, so maybe. I wouldn't even put him in the ROH. At least not til Danny White makes it.

#276 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,887 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:04 PM

The media seems to vote themselves in lately, so maybe. I wouldn't even put him in the ROH. At least not til Danny White makes it.

I'm a big Danny White fan.  I still think he's the 3rd best QB in Cowboy history.  He lead Dallas to 3 straight NFC title games in his injury shortened career,  and was a Joe Montana prayer away from super bowl glory.   But the ROH is as much about a players relationship with Jerry Jones as merit.  I saw both Romo and Danny White play and I'll take Danny,  but Jerry wasn't watching cowboy football in the early 80's and has no relationship with most of the Landry era players.

#277 uvaballa

uvaballa

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,248 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:10 PM

This discussion has been had quite a few times. Romo will have to settle for the ROH because he's not getting into the HOF.

2r7n7m0.jpg

#278 oakclifford22

oakclifford22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:15 PM

Sorry, he doesn't get in.  I was always a fan of his, but he seemed to always fold when the games mattered the most (read playoff time).

Marino never won the big game either, but at least he got there.  That's why he is in there.

Marino didn't get in because of his numbers or his longevity. Marino was the top qb in  high school, in college and the pros. All you had to do was watch him play for 5 minutes and you knew he was in the HOF, the guy was simply that good. Now for Montana, his Notre Dame record speaks for itself and if coaches missed on him, that's their fault, he did it at the highest levels in college and to come to the pros and dominate seemingly so simply, that's why he's in there. When you understand that the Dolphins had Shula and his offensive mind and then you see how Marino overcame that offense to basically define the modern passing game, well then you can understand why Marino is in without championships. Romo basically took what the defense gave him and if he tried to take more he got shut down. Marino took what he wanted whenever he wanted and until Walsh had the foresight to actually time his passes and do what modern coaches do today to beat him, he was basically unbeatable. Marino had no run game to speak of his entire career and no one could throw a go, a post a fly like Marino did. His receivers were tiny little guys with almost no talent and he dominated with them, basically putting the ball right in their hands at full speed headed right for the endzone and many times with mere feet to spare at the back and the sides of the endzone and those guys were at FULL speed. 

I saw Matt Stafford throw a pass like Marino the other day, and I simply hadn't seen that since Marino played. A perfect pass the receiver stuck his hands in front of him at full speed and just caught the ball. Stafford took one step and delivered a perfect strike, Marino did that his entire career. He is probably the least sacked Qb of all time and in fact for 7 straight years he was sacked less than 28 times in a row and that was the best of any qb of those years. Aikman's best year was 31. Marino's was 21.

If you watch him play, you notice two distinct things no other qb in history had or has. He was mobile without any speed whatsoever to speak of. He always kept his eyes downfield and he could deliver the ball with uncanny accuracy and power with a mere flick of his wrist. No other qb could beat the '85 Bears, or even come close. Marino amazed all of America when he did it with such ease. To me because I watched him play, he's the greatest qb to ever play the game of American football. Show me any other qb who could put up numbers like him with such a small corp of receivers. Those guys, Clayton, Duper and Nat Moore, couldn't make a roster on ANY NFL team today. For Marino to put up such numbers year after year with these three guys speaks volumes about the guy's ability. The losses he suffered were basically due to lack of talent on the field.

You want to compare him to Romo? Romo has had some of the best WR's, the biggest WR's and some of the best talent on his side of the ball and has how many playoff wins? Marino had 8 with far less talent. 

#279 oakclifford22

oakclifford22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:32 PM

There are a lot of QBs in the NFL HOF  some who were not considered the best of their time. In fact, considering overlap, here are a number of QBs in the HOF who's careers overlapped for more than five seasons.

Marino

Elway

Montana

Fouts

Favre

Aikman

Young

Moon

Kelly

Here is another grouping, some who overlapped

Staubach

Namath

Bradshaw

Griesie

Tarkenton

Stabler

Here is yet another grouping with some overlapping from the above list

Tittle

Dawson

Starr

Unitas

Jurgenson

Blanda

My point is you don't necessarily have to be the best QB in an era to get in. Look at the 80s/90s group with that had 9 guys in it. Here's another list:

P. Manning

T, Brady

A. Rodgers

D, Brees

Tony Romo

B. Roethlisberger

P. Rivers

E. Manning

D McNabb

Any of these guys that cover a 15 year window could get into the HOF and it wouldn't be too far fetched based upon the guys from the previous group.

your first list is basically the list of the greatest qb's in NFL history. your last list can omit McNabb,Romo, Rivers, and Eli. Brady and Peyton are first ballots, Brees and Big Ben could have to wait a while unless either of them wins another SB, and then they move up the time ladder. Rodgers is the one who's really on the fence at this point. He passes the eye test and one more SB WILL push him over. Peyton doesn't have all the hardware Brady does, but he basically changed the game with his no huddle execution and his drive for perfection from his teamates. Harrison is only in because of Manning and no other qb would have either him or Wayne with as much numbers as Peyton did. Brady is simply the biggest strongest most physically gifted qb there ever was, Peyton didn't have all that, he had to overcome with his will. The guys I omitted from your last list simply gave up when the going got tough. Eli made one play in a SB with a team that was defensively stacked and one of the greatest organizations in sports history behind him. Brees and Big Ben both have the pedigree, but neither of them can say they didn't get hammered when defenses had figured them out. Only Rodgers stands out in today's era as someone who can't be dominated. And that's something all HOF qb's had. They were going to play to beat you and you were going to fear them, regardless of your defensive strategy or talent. 

#280 northerncowboynation

northerncowboynation

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,078 posts
  • LocationChatham, ontario

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:45 AM

When the NFL moves the HOF to your local Walmart and all Walmart shoppers get to vote, Romo and Phillip Rivers may make it. Definitely ROH stuff though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users