#21 WECap193

WECap193

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:37 PM

Fans have to realize that prolific passing numbers in this 21st century NFL skew many QBs to look HOF worthy- not taking into account the changed rules that favor the offenses--and therefore QBs --- can put up ridiculous stats during regular season campaigns that eventually don't mean much toward postseason success.
  • kskboys and Gmen4ever like this

#22 Kai-ser

Kai-ser

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:55 PM

All that is required is that you were one of the best EVER at your position. NOT SB's. So therefore, he is the 4th best EVER. Let that digest for a minute. How can the 4th best QB EVER not get in??? How did 5,6, 7, 8 get in? They did not all win SB's.

Come on, Romo is not the 4th best QB ever. Not even close. Sometimes this forum is something else.

• kskboys, heathgs, Gmen4ever and 3 others like this

#23 cwbyfan88

cwbyfan88

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:59 PM

Fans have to realize that prolific passing numbers in this 21st century NFL skew many QBs to look HOF worthy- not taking into account the changed rules that favor the offenses--and therefore QBs --- can put up ridiculous stats during regular season campaigns that eventually don't mean much toward postseason success.

That's like saying Brady shouldn't be in the HOF if all you looked at was stats. Because it's the "21st century" and" it's a passing league". If it's that easy why aren't all the QB's putting up big numbers? And to those who say he played with talent. When? T.O was at the backside of his career. Besides Dez, thats all he had. Romo made all of our receivers. Not the other way around. Our defense was good 2 years of the ten. Our oline just became one of the best. For what he had to work with I say he is worthy of consideration. Does he get in? That's debatable.

#24 Kai-ser

Kai-ser

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:10 PM

That's like saying Brady shouldn't be in the HOF if all you looked at was stats. Because it's the "21st century" and" it's a passing league". If it's that easy why aren't all the QB's putting up big numbers? And to those who say he played with talent. When? T.O was at the backside of his career. Besides Dez, thats all he had. Romo made all of our receivers. Not the other way around. Our defense was good 2 years of the ten. Our oline just became one of the best. For what he had to work with I say he is worthy of consideration. Does he get in? That's debatable.

Did Romo not have Witten in his prime? The same Witten that never missed a down, never got hurt? Why are you dismissing him in order to make your point?

• Gmen4ever likes this

#25 LocalCowboyDiehard

LocalCowboyDiehard

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,812 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:15 PM

I watched two different online sources, NFL.COM, and ESPN, BOTH saying Romo does not deserve to be in the Hall of Fame. Got news for you fella's. Winning SuperBowls is NOT a prerequisite for entry into the HOF. If so then MANY players would not be in there. Ala Dan Fouts. One of the greatest EVER, but never won anything. Tony Romo is the 4th highest rated QB in HISTORY, if he does not deserve to be in there, then why does numbers 5, 6 7, 8 etc belong? Explain THAT to me, someone PLEASE!

First of all you have to be considered one of the best in your era. Did you win a MVP? Lead the league in passing?

Most of these others you've mentioned without Rings can say yes. Fouts certainly can.

Romo made the most of his ability and god given talent. A great American Dream story . Not a Brady, Rodgers, Peyton, Bree's or Big Ben all certain locks as HOF this era but Romo would probably be in the next group which there's nothing wrong with that.

<p>It's easy to make labels and attach them to people, labels that are derogatory, to lessen the impact of their voice.

#26 OldSchoolBum

OldSchoolBum

Professional Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:22 PM

First of all you have to be considered one of the best in your era. Did you win a MVP? Lead the league in passing?

Most of these others you've mentioned without Rings can say yes. Fouts certainly can.

Romo made the most of his ability and god given talent. A great American Dream story . Not a Brady, Rodgers, Peyton, Bree's or Big Ben all certain locks as HOF this era but Romo would probably be in the next group which there's nothing wrong with that.

Exactly Romo was never even considered a top 5 QB in any season. You would think hes the next coming of jesus christ the way ppl talk about him. No1 was this upset when we let D. Ware out the door who was 2nd fastest player to hit 100 sacks after Reggie White. I am glad Ware got a ring and glad Romo is retiring.
  • Hennessy_King likes this

#27 capcomeback

capcomeback

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:10 AM

Exactly Romo was never even considered a top 5 QB in any season. You would think hes the next coming of jesus christ the way ppl talk about him. No1 was this upset when we let D. Ware out the door who was 2nd fastest player to hit 100 sacks after Reggie White. I am glad Ware got a ring and glad Romo is retiring.

Romo was number 3 in voting for 2014-15 MVP. He led the NFL in TotalQBR, Passer Rating and Completion % and finished 6 in TD Passes.

Romo leads Big Ben in every major QB stat except Yardage, Passing TDs, Atts, Comps and Interceptions. Basically any stat that measures passing accuracy, Romo wins. Any stat that measures having a great Defense and throwing a lot, Big Ben wins.

#28 capcomeback

capcomeback

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:13 AM

Did Romo not have Witten in his prime? The same Witten that never missed a down, never got hurt? Why are you dismissing him in order to make your point?

You don't throw for a lot of yards when your TE (as great as he is) is your number 1 target. Unless you name is Brady. lol.

#29 heathgs

heathgs

Landry Hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,583 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:17 AM

Romo the only player ever to singlehandedly be responsible for all the success of a team and bear no responsibility for losses.

I think I have changed my mind and now consider Romo HoF worthy.

That is a historical feat that I don't think will ever be matched and definitely HoF worthy. Even first ballot.

Even Romo haters can't disagree he deserves to be in the HOF now.
  • kskboys and Hennessy_King like this

#30 Bleedin' Blue

Bleedin' Blue

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,775 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:22 AM

Romo was number 3 in voting for 2014-15 MVP. He led the NFL in TotalQBR, Passer Rating and Completion % and finished 6 in TD Passes.

Romo leads Big Ben in every major QB stat except Yardage, Passing TDs, Atts, Comps and Interceptions. Basically any stat that measures passing accuracy, Romo wins. Any stat that measures having a great Defense and throwing a lot, Big Ben wins.

add 2 Superbowl wins to that exception list...and another appearance..Could be said Big Ben threw a once in a lifetime pass to win the Superbowl also.

fan_cowboys_view_1296x729.jpg

Your D will look Fugly when you play the big Uglies.

#31 capcomeback

capcomeback

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:27 AM

Romo the only player ever to singlehandedly be responsible for all the success of a team and bear no responsibility for losses.

That is a historical feat that I don't think will ever be matched and definitely HoF worthy. Even first ballot.

I doubt Tony will make the HOF, but it's not because he didn't leave it all out on the field. The guy was a gamer and despite his reputation as a gunslinger, he was a very accurate passer. Could have won a playoff game or two more here due to his flaws? Maybe, but let's not pretend that he was playing with the same kind of talent (on both sides of the ball) that most of his peers who are volume throwers are. Romo started his career as an overachiever and ended it as an accomplished passer and one the most cerebral QBs in the game. It's a pity that just as this team got better he was bitten by the injury bug.

• cowboyfan927 likes this

#32 capcomeback

capcomeback

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:29 AM

add 2 Superbowl wins to that exception list...and another appearance..Could be said Big Ben threw a once in a lifetime pass to win the Superbowl also.

As I said, that stat falls under the heading of "having a great defense". Something Tony never had

#33 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,706 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:32 AM

The marker a HOF QB has been 40,000 yards for years on end.

Depends on the era.   I personally don't think he is going to get in but he'll get some votes.    His lack playoff successes ,  never made first team all pro,  no league mvp awards,  only 4 pro bowls.............. its not going to be enough.   

#34 Bobhaze

Bobhaze

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,048 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Tx.

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:34 AM

I watched two different online sources, NFL.COM, and ESPN, BOTH saying Romo does not deserve to be in the Hall of Fame. Got news for you fella's. Winning SuperBowls is NOT a prerequisite for entry into the HOF. If so then MANY players would not be in there. Ala Dan Fouts. One of the greatest EVER, but never won anything. Tony Romo is the 4th highest rated QB in HISTORY, if he does not deserve to be in there, then why does numbers 5, 6 7, 8 etc belong? Explain THAT to me, someone PLEASE!

It's really simple- Tony Romo deserves to be in the Cowboys Ring of Honor. But he does not belong in the NFL HOF. Why? Passer rating is not a big consideration for induction for QBs. Never has. Fair or not, HOF voters put an extremely high premium on inducting QBs who have won championships and/or had major success in the playoffs.

QBs who have great stats but no championships must have an extraordinary set of stats- like Dan Marino or Dan Fouts. Two guys who never won a SB but did have much more playoff success than Romo.

Look- stats are somewhat important when considering HOF credentials for QBs. But that alone is not enough. RBs, WRs, linemen, defensive players have a different HOF standard regarding championships. The bar isn't as high. Again, fair or not, QBs have a much higher standard. Tony Romo will not be in the NFL HOF.
  • kskboys, Bleedin' Blue and Gmen4ever like this

#35 uvaballa

uvaballa

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,742 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:41 AM

Philly fans think McNabb should get in if Romo does. http://phi.247sports...McNabb-52144783

Personally I don't think either should be in the HOF.
  • kskboys and Bleedin' Blue like this

9tn384.jpg

#36 LocalCowboyDiehard

LocalCowboyDiehard

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,812 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:42 AM

I wouldn't use this site as a barometer . We see too many extremes from both sides .

This is the official Cowboys fan site. It's obviously Pro Romo. I've even called this forum over the years as more of a place for Romo fans to gather from abroad especially in this Fantasy Football era with Millenials the largest sector here Id guess .

Its why I think this site has been so sensitive to Romo being targeted. Hence the sub forum. Plus the trolls and opposing fans disguising themselves as Cowboys have made a career here because of the sensitivity.

Nowhere else have I seen this much sensitivity and abuse all wrapped up in one.

I've always tried to downplay it. When my good friends all Cowboy fans talk Cowboy football , we aren't talking how Romo cost us the game , etc. This has always been driven by Social and mainstream media.

It's very lazy analysis . Like casual and highlites fans would discuss.
  • kskboys and cowboyfan927 like this

<p>It's easy to make labels and attach them to people, labels that are derogatory, to lessen the impact of their voice.

#37 Bleedin' Blue

Bleedin' Blue

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,775 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:42 AM

As I said, that stat falls under the heading of "having a great defense". Something Tony never had

The voters won't look at that, it's a catch 22. The hall is designed to recognize individual accomplishment in a team sport but it matters what the team did. Perception

I posted this in another post but I think it's applicable here

As a Cowboys fan sure I'd like to see Tony in the HOF. I just don't see it happening, the voters are all about perception and the perception is....Romo nor Romo's team could win when it mattered or the big one. The hall is split up by era's and in Romo's era he's been bested by Rodgers twice, Farve and Eli. All Superbowl winning QB's with stats. There just won't be the room to include them all.

Kinda' like the 70's if Dallas wins those Superbowls against the Steelers or just one...There wouldn't be such a disparity between the Steeler's players from that era and the Cowboys in the hall. Perception rules, winning changes perception and the Hall covers all teams all era's.

• kskboys likes this

fan_cowboys_view_1296x729.jpg

Your D will look Fugly when you play the big Uglies.

#38 LocalCowboyDiehard

LocalCowboyDiehard

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,812 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:53 AM

Romo will be in the Ring of Honor . That's a great feat for the mostly crappy teams he was on.

Wittten to me is the only lock HOF Cowboy this era.

Ware wouldn't be considered if he hadn't won a ring in Denver. He won't be a 1st ballot like Witten will be. Ware was great but didn't sustain his entire career.

This will be the first time probably in Cowboy history to induct a HOFamer without a Championship. There's still time of course.

Using championships as the only or main measurement for greatness is another obstacle lazy fans use for analysis . In many cases without being on a team that won championships those individual stats probably wouldn't be enough to get in. It's why "Impact" is also a factor.

#39 cwbyfan88

cwbyfan88

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:53 AM

Did not dismiss him on purpose. Yes he did have witten too. Thanks for pointing that out. But if that's all you have to say then I rest my case.

#40 OldSchoolBum

OldSchoolBum

Professional Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:53 AM

Tony played 3 years with a top 10 defense.
  • Gmen4ever likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users