6. Tony Romo (2004-2016) – 65.3%

Adjusted Yards Per Pass AttemptRead

1. Aaron Rodgers (2005-2016) – 8.49 yds/att
  2. Russell Wilson (2012-2016) – 8.20 yds/att
  3. Otto Graham (1946-1955) – 7.99 yds/att
  4. Steve Young (1985-1999) – 7.94 yds/att
  5. Tony Romo (2004-2016) – 7.81 yds/att

• Big_D, vomit and Alpha Dak like this

A vital team characteristic is the ability to overcome adversity. Any team acquires experience and endurance as it learns to fight back. This in turn builds the kind of character which seldom crumbles at a time of crisis or testing.
Tom Landry

Tom_Landry

Garrett is the basketball coach leading the game with 29 seconds left in the game. He runs a play to score again instead of running the clock out. The opposing team gets the rebound and drives the court to win.
This is Garrett, but the excuse would be "well if he had scored we would have won."  smh.

________________________________________________________________________________________

rides2.gif

#42 LocalCowboyDiehard

LocalCowboyDiehard

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,812 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:43 AM

Romo will be in the Ring of Honor . That's a great feat for the mostly crappy teams he was on.

Witten to me is the only lock HOF Cowboy this era.

Ware wouldn't be considered if he hadn't won a ring in Denver. He won't be a 1st ballot like Witten will be. Ware was great but didn't sustain his entire career.

This will be the first time probably in Cowboy history to induct a HOFamer without a Championship. There's still time of course.

Using championships as the only or main measurement for greatness is another obstacle lazy fans use for analysis . In many cases without being on a team that won championships those individual stats probably wouldn't be enough to get in. It's why "Impact" is also a factor.

<p>It's easy to make labels and attach them to people, labels that are derogatory, to lessen the impact of their voice.

#43 Kai-ser

Kai-ser

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:48 PM

You don't throw for a lot of yards when your TE (as great as he is) is your number 1 target. Unless you name is Brady. lol.

He's been the number 2 target. Since 2007, Witten has consistently finished with the 2nd most receiving yards at the end of the season, except 2011 when he finished first, and this past season when he finished 3rd. He's been a consistent target, not a sporadic one.

#44 uvaballa

uvaballa

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,742 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:15 PM

You don't throw for a lot of yards when your TE (as great as he is) is your number 1 target. Unless you name is Brady. lol.

QBs have thrown for lots of yards with the TE being the #1 target. I guess it depends on your definition but I'm thinking top 10 in passing yards. Brees, Rivers, and Cam are a few QBs who have done it and I'm sure there's more.

9tn384.jpg

#45 Rogers

Rogers

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,522 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:15 PM

All that is required is that you were one of the best EVER at your position. NOT SB's. So therefore, he is the 4th best EVER. Let that digest for a minute. How can the 4th best QB EVER not get in??? How did 5,6, 7, 8 get in? They did not all win SB's.

I doubt everyone counts QB rating as the one true judge of how QBs rank among the "best ever".  In fact, I'm confident most don't.  

Most would concede QB ranking is at least a reasonable factor to consider, but the reality is whether SB's are listed in the criteria for the HOF or not, playoff appearances and success are very clearly factored into it by those that vote, and and that's especially true for QB's.   QB is viewed as the most natural leadership position and the role most able to influence games.  That's just the nature of the position.

• WECap193 likes this

#46 Rogers

Rogers

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 16,522 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:19 PM

Where is the supporting talent compared to Aikman and Staubach? Even Rodgers and Brees had talent around them on both sides of the ball when they won theirs. You can't win if you don't get adequate support.

This may be a fair point, but at the end of the day I doubt voters are going to agonize over that and spend a lot of time analyzing and comparing.  Whether it's right or wrong, the results are likely going to be what they use to make up their minds.

#47 OldSchoolBum

OldSchoolBum

Professional Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:26 PM

To be in the HOF I think you need to be one of the best at your position in the era you played. He never won a MVP award and, Romo isn't even top 5. Move on he does not deserve to be in the HOF.
  • Gmen4ever and Hennessy_King like this

#48 heathgs

heathgs

Landry Hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,583 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:47 PM

I think most people will admit that Manning, Brady, Rodgers, and Brees would be HoF before Romo.  And then you're going to have others who will come into the discussion like Big Ben, Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, and Matt Ryan. Russell Wilson is looking like he'll be joining the conversation soon, if not already.

Granted I don't think Big Ben, Eli Manning, Phillip, Matt and Russell are HoF worthy either right now, but I think Romo is more in that class than the 4 mentioned before them.

• Keithfansince5 likes this

#49 Northern_Cowboy

Northern_Cowboy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts
  • LocationNorth of Dallas

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:11 PM

I think most people will admit that Manning, Brady, Rodgers, and Brees would be HoF before Romo.  And then you're going to have others who will come into the discussion like Big Ben, Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, and Matt Ryan. Russell Wilson is looking like he'll be joining the conversation soon, if not already.

Granted I don't think Big Ben, Eli Manning, Phillip, Matt and Russell are HoF worthy either right now, but I think Romo is more in that class than the 4 mentioned before them.

I think Big ben is HOF worthy but I don't at this point think Eli is, although with 2 rings I expect he will get in. I agree with the rest of your post. The only argument Romo will have when he is eligible will be his 3rd best in history (if it stands) QB rating, people can say what they want but that is a formidable stat and it holds up well, but unless he comes back and puts up a monster season I don't think he gets in

• heathgs likes this

#50 Rogers

Rogers

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 16,522 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:38 PM

I agree, except about Big Ben.  I think he is already a shoo-in for the HOF.  He already has the career stats and the playoff/Super Bowl success.

#51 Geno T

Geno T

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts
  • LocationAustin TX, Branson MO, Cape Cod MA, SoCal, Belgium, various points beyond

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:48 PM

Unfortunately, Dallas Cowboys fans don't vote for HOF induction.

Equally unfortunate, too many of the folks who do vote might look past Tony's regular-season stats and focus on:

0 Super Bowl wins

0 Super Bowl appearances

0 NFC championships

0 NFC champ-game appearances

2 career playoff wins 

Tony's got the stats...but does he have the love/fame outside of Dallas?

• Kai-ser likes this

"The only stat that matters is the final score." — Bobby Layne

#52 cwbyfan88

cwbyfan88

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:00 PM

I think Big ben is HOF worthy but I don't at this point think Eli is, although with 2 rings I expect he will get in. I agree with the rest of your post. The only argument Romo will have when he is eligible will be his 3rd best in history (if it stands) QB rating, people can say what they want but that is a formidable stat and it holds up well, but unless he comes back and puts up a monster season I don't think he gets in

Eli has consistently sucked. And lucked into the playoffs and only then played well. Otherwise. No way he is even in the consideration. If you take out the one bad game in Minnesota where romo had absolutely no time to throw. Romo has actually done good enough to win in the playoffs. The rest of the team sucked. Also if you don't count a desperation throw to end the game with an int against NY he has a passer rating over 108. People like to place blame all on Romo for our lack of success in the playoffs. But fail to remember these games. The one game I blame him for was his first playoff game in Seattle.

#53 Northern_Cowboy

Northern_Cowboy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:06 PM

Eli has consistently sucked. And lucked into the playoffs and only then played well. Otherwise. No way he is even in the consideration. If you take out the one bad game in Minnesota where romo had absolutely no time to throw. Romo has actually done good enough to win in the playoffs. The rest of the team sucked. Also if you don't count a desperation throw to end the game with an int against NY he has a passer rating over 108. People like to place blame all on Romo for our lack of success in the playoffs. But fail to remember these games. The one game I blame him for was his first playoff game in Seattle.

I agree with you but I don't think the voters will

#54 heathgs

heathgs

Landry Hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,583 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:06 PM

This can go both ways.  Let me give you an example.  If TWill didn't turn 2 short passes into long TD catches then Romo has 2 fewer TD's in the playoffs.  And without the one in Detroit, the Cowboys likely don't win the Wild Card game because that one play got Dallas back into the game before halftime when we were being whipped on both sides of the ball. 

#55 Northern_Cowboy

Northern_Cowboy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:08 PM

This can go both ways.  Let me give you an example.  If TWill didn't turn 2 short passes into long TD catches then Romo has 2 fewer TD's in the playoffs.  And without the one in Detroit, the Cowboys likely don't win the Wild Card game because that one play got Dallas back into the game before halftime when we were being whipped on both sides of the ball. 

That's not a really fair comparision, it was not a last play of the game  "I have to throw it into the endzone" no choice play. Even if T-Will doesn't score TD's on those playes the drives would not be over there was time on the clock and we still could have scored and Romo may have still driven the team down to score. The situations are not at all the same

#56 InTheZone

InTheZone

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,797 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:16 PM

Because he choked with talent on the team. If we constantly made the playoffs ok maybe. If we went to a couple Conference championships and lost ok maybe. But 2 wins in the playoffs in 10 years. 2!!! Absolutely not. I'm sure fouts won more playoff games than Romo i just checked he won 1 more game. But, he also got his team to 2 AFC championship games. It was a different game back then and I'm sure he didn't fumble a field goal snap to lose a playoff game tho.

Your boy Aikman choked in his final 4 playoff games. I thought he was God with deadly accuracy, poise, and smarts?

And I guarantee had they made the playoffs more and lost then you would be slamming him harder than you are now.

I know you'll never like or appreciate Romo, I'm not going to change your mind. But at least pay attention to everything that's happened around him.
  • Northern_Cowboy likes this

#57 Darthkuriboh

Darthkuriboh

Professional Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:21 PM

I think playoff performance has A lot to do with it as well. And Romo playoffs numbers are not to good. Dude won't make the Hall A Fame during are life times that's for sure.

A 93 career playoff QB rating with 9 touchdowns and 3 interceptions isn't good?

release-the-kraken-beagle-500js031710.jp

#58 LocalCowboyDiehard

LocalCowboyDiehard

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,812 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:25 PM

I agree, except about Big Ben. I think he is already a shoo-in for the HOF. He already has the career stats and the playoff/Super Bowl success.

No doubt. And he's only going to add to it.

<p>It's easy to make labels and attach them to people, labels that are derogatory, to lessen the impact of their voice.

#59 LocalCowboyDiehard

LocalCowboyDiehard

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,812 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:27 PM

Tony's shortfall is he simply didn't play enough full seasons. Only 7 of his 14. Now if he had close to double his career stats he'd have a strong argument .

Like 70,000 yards and close to 500 TD's.

#60 WECap193

WECap193

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:29 PM

Owens was never on a SB winning team either. It's possible to get in without one but for QB's it's a big consideration, goes to leadership and whether we admit it or not many people questioned Romo's leadership ability early in his career

j

But Owens did play on a Super Bowl team ---and was the best player in that game after suffering a very serious leg injury late in the regular season.
  • Hennessy_King likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users