#21 Londonboy

Londonboy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,194 posts
  • LocationPJG Europe Office

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:17 PM

Why would the name Roger be exempt from needing an apostrophe to make it a possessive tense?

Why would the name Roger be exempt from needing an apostrophe to make it a possessive tense?

Wasn't sure if an abstract concept (day) qualified for possessive tensification.

If You're sure it does, then Roger that. :D  

• Runwildboys likes this

Mini-Spotted-Dick-puddings.preview-340x2

#22 Shawn_

Shawn_

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,898 posts
  • LocationCentralTexas

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:35 PM

Another thing they had in common ... they didn't care one bit about stats. Winning was their goal.

Should be THE only goal..

• dubbleog likes this

No good deed goes unpunished..

tenor.gif

#23 Luminator

Luminator

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,998 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:41 PM

Aikman and Staubach 

both averaged around 200 passing yards a game over the course of their career:

199 per game for Aikman

http://www.pro-footb.../A/AikmTr00.htm

173 per game for Roger

http://www.pro-footb.../S/StauRo00.htm

Source, NFL Reference

That is what happens when a team is run first, the passing numbers will usually be much lower. This means that those Cowboy teams did not have to rely on the QB as much as they relied on the run game and solid defense. Had both the run and defense been bad, QB would have had to pass more often, which was the case why players like Marino, Fouts, and Tarkenton have more passing numbers.

#24 Relayer

Relayer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 18,009 posts
  • LocationChristchurch NZ. (Go All Blacks)

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:20 PM

Another thing they had in common ... they didn't care one bit about stats. Winning was their goal.

I remember Aikman lamenting not being in the WCO. He's content with his championships though.

1509328801-NS_cowbriefs_1030spo_JL_17-wi

The hardest hitter in football. :)

Darrell Royal

I might say this: we’ve always been a running team and I’m sure we will continue to be so. (We’ve been criticized for it, I might add.) But I’ve always felt that three things can happen to you whenever you throw the football, and two of them are bad. You can catch the ball, you can throw it incomplete, or have it intercepted.

#25 acr731

acr731

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,754 posts
  • LocationTEXAS!

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:53 PM

Skip Bayless is a switch hitter

Well, Garrett enjoys slapping grown men on the ass.  Whats the hidden message there?

#26 Relayer

Relayer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 18,009 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:00 AM

Well, Garrett enjoys slapping grown men on the ass.  Whats the hidden message there?

Have you ever played a team sport? It happens all of the time. Not sure what the motivation is, but it's not sexual.

Darrell Royal

I might say this: we’ve always been a running team and I’m sure we will continue to be so. (We’ve been criticized for it, I might add.) But I’ve always felt that three things can happen to you whenever you throw the football, and two of them are bad. You can catch the ball, you can throw it incomplete, or have it intercepted.

#27 Grandpaw_G_Bundy

Grandpaw_G_Bundy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,798 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:05 AM

:ph34r: and in basketball you always see the other players getting behind the "center", and taking passes under his butt.

A vital team characteristic is the ability to overcome adversity. Any team acquires experience and endurance as it learns to fight back. This in turn builds the kind of character which seldom crumbles at a time of crisis or testing.
Tom Landry

Tom_Landry

Garrett is the basketball coach leading the game with 29 seconds left in the game. He runs a play to score again instead of running the clock out. The opposing team gets the rebound and drives the court to win.
This is Garrett, but the excuse would be "well if he had scored we would have won."  smh.

________________________________________________________________________________________

rides2.gif

#28 Relayer

Relayer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 18,009 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:19 AM

:ph34r: and in basketball you always see the other players getting behind the "center", and taking passes under his butt.

Could explain why he played QB. Even though he sucked at it.

• Grandpaw_G_Bundy likes this

Darrell Royal

#29 acr731

acr731

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,754 posts
  • LocationTEXAS!

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:57 AM

Its starting to get a bit weird in this thread.  

#30 GMO415

GMO415

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,861 posts
  • Location714

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:21 AM

STAUBACH #46 OF THE TOP 100 NFL GREATEST PLAYERS

https://youtu.be/ZWA4ttppYyU

AIKMAN  #80 OF THE TOP 100 NFL GREATEST PLAYERS

https://youtu.be/CwhI9SQvD1I

f304becd6fde9e4f7ffca8a3e9a5f484.jpg

#31 Grandpaw_G_Bundy

Grandpaw_G_Bundy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,798 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:27 AM

ROMO #45 OF THE TOP 100 NFL GREATEST PLAYERS

https://youtube.com//gibberish

A vital team characteristic is the ability to overcome adversity. Any team acquires experience and endurance as it learns to fight back. This in turn builds the kind of character which seldom crumbles at a time of crisis or testing.
Tom Landry

Tom_Landry

Garrett is the basketball coach leading the game with 29 seconds left in the game. He runs a play to score again instead of running the clock out. The opposing team gets the rebound and drives the court to win.
This is Garrett, but the excuse would be "well if he had scored we would have won."  smh.

________________________________________________________________________________________

rides2.gif

#32 oldschoolfan64

oldschoolfan64

• Moderators
  • 11,860 posts
  • LocationTexas Panhandle

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:34 AM

Moving to "Classic Cowboys" since it does not pertain to current players.

Been a Dallas fan all my life...will remain a Dallas fan till I die.

#33 Grandpaw_G_Bundy

Grandpaw_G_Bundy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,798 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:43 AM

db4701ec1be9b61f37108f41a465f9a8.gif

• GMO415 and THE OZ OF COWBOY COUNTRY like this

Tom Landry

Tom_Landry

rides2.gif

#34 signalcaller

signalcaller

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:04 AM

Because they both had solid running games...

romo and jg chose to not hand the rock to murray 270 plus times his first 3 seasons....when they finally gave him the rock...300 plus times he had an mvp season and romos attempts were down the team had it's most successful season under romo...

[/URL]">http://smaller_zpsimg4z05w.jpg

#35 I am Jumbo075

I am Jumbo075

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:50 AM

Both played in the RB era.  Both would have beaten Marino's numbers had they played with Goodell as commish.

#36 MistyAnn

MistyAnn

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationGalway Bay

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:59 PM

Did great things in their respective eras, and would still be awesome in the modern game. They are way down the list of NFL great players I think, but its a competitive list to get on.

I

Love

Dallas

#37 northerncowboynation

northerncowboynation

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,174 posts
  • LocationChatham, ontario

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:46 PM

Man, they just can't hold a candle to that Romo guy can they. Pitiful, just pitiful  ;)

• GMO415 likes this

#38 45yearCowboyFan

45yearCowboyFan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:55 PM

If you have Doomsday, or a no. 1 defense that gives you the ball in the opponent's territory or at your own 40, etc. then you're not going to have the gaudy offensive numbers, just don't have to drive the ball 80 yards every time to score.

Both Roger and Troy had the benefit of a top defense most or at least a lot of the years they played, Tony, not so much...

• Howard C likes this

#39 Luminator

Luminator

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,998 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:48 PM

it was the coaches philosophy that did not care about the stats, not the QBs.

#40 Rawhide 74

Rawhide 74

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Location15 miles from the Linc

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:35 PM

Roger could also run the ball himself and move the chains .  He could scramble and buy time .  He could be deadly accurate and kill you with his arm . 

He could come back and win playoff games with guys like Billy Parks and Ron Sellers .   Most of all he had the ability to make every player on the field opponent or teammate believe if there was time left on the clock he could win the game .  No other Cowboy player since has had that kind of power .

Roger was the best of the best and represented every thing that used to be good about football .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users