Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:06 PM

Aikman and Staubach 

both averaged around 200 passing yards a game over the course of their career:

199 per game for Aikman

http://www.pro-footb.../A/AikmTr00.htm

173 per game for Roger

http://www.pro-footb.../S/StauRo00.htm

Source, NFL Reference

This is what happens when the game plans is an emphasis on a strong running game. We can credit Dorsett and Smith for their rushing contributions and limiting their passing.  Those 70s and 90s teams did not need to get into shootouts to win games because the Cowboys always had running attack as their bread and butter.

• sulu1701 likes this

#42 sulu1701

sulu1701

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,944 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:51 PM

This is what happens when the game plans is an emphasis on a strong running game. We can credit Dorsett and Smith for their rushing contributions and limiting their passing.  Those 70s and 90s teams did not need to get into shootouts to win games because the Cowboys always had running attack as their bread and butter.

Man do I miss Norv lol

• Luminator and 408Cowboy like this

The Only Reason For Time Is So That Everything Doesn't happen At Once - Buckaroo Banzai

Whose Wine,What Wine, Where The Hell Did I Dine? - Peter Frampton

If You Ever Get Annoyed Look At Me I'm Self Employed, I Love To Work At Nothin All Day - BTO

The Ocean Is A Desert With Its Life Underground And A Perfect Disguise Above - AmericaIMG_3160_zps002a59ae.png

#43 oakclifford22

oakclifford22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 11:19 PM

Aikman and Staubach 

both averaged around 200 passing yards a game over the course of their career:

199 per game for Aikman

http://www.pro-footb.../A/AikmTr00.htm

173 per game for Roger

http://www.pro-footb.../S/StauRo00.htm

Source, NFL Reference

Roger stood up to Coach Landry, Troy never got that chance.......Guess WE will never know.........hqdefault.jpg

#44 Luminator

Luminator

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:22 PM

Another thing they had in common ... they didn't care one bit about stats. Winning was their goal.

I doubt that they both did do not care about stats... All players have some level of pride to perform well. For instance, if you ask any QB which stat they prefer to have the most of, TDs or INTs? Most would say more TDs then INTs. I could agree that passing yards and efficiency are less worthy than passing TDs. But I seriously doubt any QB does not care about preventing INTs.

It usually comes down to the head coaches, they were the ones that did not care about stats because they built their teams as a run first team with a solid defense. Passing was mostly used when necessary and not the main team philosophy on offense. 

#45 Cowboy Eric

Cowboy Eric

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:07 PM

I just know they were 2 of the greatest to ever throw the ball....the bigger the game,the better they played.

#46 Rogers

Rogers

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,006 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 25 June 2017 - 05:07 AM

What people are missing is in the 1970s it didn't take 250+ yards/game to be among the league leaders, Staubach was always among the league leaders - the standard was just different in that era. It wasn't a pass happy league at that point. Those old enough to have been fans in that era (and old enough to know what they were seeing) know Roger wasn't a bus driver. He was a playmaker and a leader and as clutch as they get in any era.

#47 Flamma

Flamma

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:28 PM

So what?  In Rogers day,  a DB could legally mug and assault a wr.  You can't compare stats from different eras.  Roger was the best in his day.   Troy was among the best in his day.  

Couldn't agree more.  Both did what they had to do to win.  Just recently I rewatched that 1975 Cowboys at Vikings divisional playoff game.  The one they coined "Hail Mary".  Roger was harassed and under duress all game.  As soon as he got to his last step in his drop he either had to throw the ball or take off with it.  He had no extra time, yet he made no mistakes.  Then when it came to the biggest play of the game, perfect pass to Drew Pearson.  No, I don't mean the Hail Mary.  The 4th and 17 a few plays prior to that.  I think they got one play over 17 yards all game, and now he hits this perfect pass, and Drew makes a clutch sideline catch.  Has to be one of the biggest plays in playoff history.

#48 45yearCowboyFan

45yearCowboyFan

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:33 PM

Back in Roger's day,  defense meant more than today, Bradshaw won 4 SBs, but he had only 2 more tds than ints, a rating well under Rogers (70.9), the with the Steel Curtain and the league's help, his team won 2 more SBs than Roger's teams.

Nowadays quarterbacks who throw for tons of yards win SBs on occasion...

#49 bosd

bosd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,093 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:26 PM

Both Staubach and Aikman had the ability to throw for over 400 each game in today's league and Troy's career would probably have lasted a lot longer, especially with league cracking down on hits to the QB and hits to the head.

Kaneh-Bosm

Most reputable news agencies will get at least a 2nd confirmation before going with a story.  We should do the same and ask of the same.  However, when it comes to common knowledge, a simple google search will suffice. 

#50 Howard C

Howard C

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts
  • LocationChapin, SC

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:49 PM

romo and jg chose to not hand the rock to murray 270 plus times his first 3 seasons....when they finally gave him the rock...300 plus times he had an mvp season and romos attempts were down the team had it's most successful season under romo...

Murray was injured and missed games in all of his first 3 seasons. He only played all 16 in his 4th because it was a contract year.

0cornell.jpg?ssl=1

#51 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,351 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:56 AM

They were Bus drivers. Only in HOF cause on SB teams.

This might be the dumbest opinion i've ever read on this forum.

• Rogers likes this

#52 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,351 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 20 July 2017 - 11:03 AM

Back in Roger's day,  defense meant more than today, Bradshaw won 4 SBs, but he had only 2 more tds than ints, a rating well under Rogers (70.9), the with the Steel Curtain and the league's help, his team won 2 more SBs than Roger's teams.

Nowadays quarterbacks who throw for tons of yards win SBs on occasion...

You cannot compare different eras.  Guys like Montanna,  Rodgers,  Steve Young.......sure they are great QB's but they also had their completion % and stats padded by the West Coast offense which emphasizes a lot of short ,  low risk throws.   Jerry Rice would catch a ball 5 yards past the LOS and turn it into a 50 yard play.   Thats what the West Coact offense brought to the league and it worked.  But when you look at what guys like Bradshaw and Staubach did to earn their numbers,  (and you can even add Aikman)  they were sitting in the pocket and hitting guys 15-20 down field on dig routes and longer throws b/c thats the offense they played in.  You put Roger Staubach in his prime in Joe Montana's offense and he would have fancy numbers too.    Aikman doesn't get the respect he deserves either.  He was without question the most accurate passer i've ever seen. 

In terms of comparing QB stats,  you can draw line between pre west coast offense and post. 

#53 Flamma

Flamma

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:27 PM

How about a good tightend and a good wide reciever to go with a nice running game. Jay Novacek and Micheal Irvin in the 90's. Billy Joe Dupree and Drew Pearson in SuperBowl XII. Mike Ditka and Bob Hayes in SuperBowl VI. 》》》So now we have Zeke, Witten, and Bryant to go with Dak. Hmm. I wonder?

I don't wonder.  Those guys all played on teams with really good defenses.  They don't have any super bowls if they had the defense we had the past several years.  It would end like 2016 or 1991.  They were great players and did their job, but the defense has to do theirs as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users