#101 daygoboy6191

daygoboy6191

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,382 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, Ca

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:27 AM

Would you pass on McDowell at 28? And honestly, if we're going 5-11 he won't be the only one turning it off.

I doubt he's there at 28 because I honestly believe he's a top 10 talent but it'll be interesting to see what happens if he slides.

Dude is an impact player.

I don't want selfish me-me type of players. I want guys you can count on each and every game no matter the circumstances. To me McDowell isn't that guy, and from what I've heard is a bit of a d-bag personality. 

• Fan08 likes this

#102 Dylan✭Wilson

Dylan✭Wilson

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,216 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:53 AM

Who's to say he doesn't mail it in all together once he gets his contract.

We don't know either way for sure, but I see him as more of a sore loser than lazy.

Dez is similar. Walking off the field before the game is over, running his routes at half speed during a blowout, arguing with players instead of chasing down the interception, looking disengaged when the game is out of reach, etc. From the outside looking in, people would think he had a d-bag personality, but in reality he's just a ruthless competitor that hates losing.

Having nothing to play for visably affects their game, but I can live with that. At 28, we aren't going to draft a near-perfect player like Myles Garrett, but at least he has Myles Garrett talent. You recognize Adoree's freakish ceiling, so I'm surprised you aren't drooling over Malik's.

We aren't talking about drug issues or an injury history, but his immaturity which can be directly attributed to only being 20 years old. And is there anybody you'd trust more to get the most out of him than Rod Marinelli?

As you can see, I'm 100% on the bandwagon. I think he should be the runaway pick at 28.
  • kskboys likes this

FacebookBanner6_zps7z99n8y4.jpg

#103 daygoboy6191

daygoboy6191

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,382 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, Ca

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:53 AM

We don't know either way for sure, but I see him as more of a sore loser than lazy.

Dez is similar. Walking off the field before the game is over, running his routes at half speed during a blowout, arguing with players instead of chasing down the interception, looking disengaged when the game is out of reach, etc. From the outside looking in, people would think he had a d-bag personality, but in reality he's just a ruthless competitor and hates losing.

Having nothing to play for visably affects their game, but I can live with that. At 28, we aren't going to be drafting a near-perfect player like Myles Garrett, but at least he has Myles Garrett talent. You recognize Adoree's freakish ceiling, so I'm surprised you aren't drooling at Malik's.

We aren't talking about drug issues or an injury history, but his immaturity which can be attributed to only being 20 years old. And is there anybody better you'd entrust to get the most out of him than Rod Marinelli?

As you can see, I'm 100% on the bandwagon. I think he should be the runaway pick at 28.

Don't pull the Marinelli card on this one. The Marinelli card hasn't worked with Gregory, Hardy, McClain, and I'm sure theres some others I missed.

Marinelli is a great coach, but attitude issues and guys who want things handed to him like McDowell it doesn't matter who the coach is. 

Michigan St has one of the best college coaches out there, but unfortunately Mich St doesn't have a football legacy like other schools because if they did this guy would wreck havoc. Mark Dantonio is an awesome coach.

There's no doubting the kids talent, but mental is what I'm concerned about.

Where would you play him at the 1?

#104 EaglesHaveNoSuperBowlRing

EaglesHaveNoSuperBowlRing

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:27 AM

One player I would stay away from at #28 is Marlon Humphrey. I watch a lot of SEC football and did think at one time, he would be an upgrade at CB for the Cowboys, but...........I will admit after listening to opinions/assessments a couple of  the so call draft experts, I started looking at him in a different way.

He didn't play against the good QBs very much, but when he did and he had to cover a good receiver he didn't do so well. It might be to his benefit to be drafted to a team with an established group of DBs, not to a team like the Cowboys are deficient at DB 

#105 Dylan✭Wilson

Dylan✭Wilson

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,216 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:41 AM

Don't pull the Marinelli card on this one. The Marinelli card hasn't worked with Gregory, Hardy, McClain, and I'm sure theres some others I missed.

Marinelli is a great coach, but attitude issues and guys who want things handed to him like McDowell it doesn't matter who the coach is.

Michigan St has one of the best college coaches out there, but unfortunately Mich St doesn't have a football legacy like other schools because if they did this guy would wreck havoc. Mark Dantonio is an awesome coach.

There's no doubting the kids talent, but mental is what I'm concerned about.

Where would you play him at the 1?

Gregory and McClain are failing drug tests, and Hardy has obvious mental disorders. Their situations aren't one in the same or even close. Like I said, I think his personality/immaturity is more comparable to Dez if Dez was on defense.

His base position is up for debate because he plays everywhere on the line. His size would indicate 1T, but he disrupts the backfield like a 3T and can rush off the edge like a RE. I would list him at RE simply because that's where we need him most, but I'd move him all around.

#106 daygoboy6191

daygoboy6191

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,382 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, Ca

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:55 AM

Gregory and McClain are failing drug tests, and Hardy has obvious mental disorders. Their situations aren't one in the same or even close. Like I said, I think his personality/immaturity is more comparable to Dez if Dez was on defense.

His base position is up for debate because he plays everywhere on the line. His size would indicate 1T, but he disrupts the backfield like a 3T and can rush off the edge like a RE. I would list him at RE simply because that's where we need him most, but I'd move him all around.

His size is more of a 3t not a 1 in a 4-3, but really more of a 3-4 DE.

He is not what you want from a 4-3 RE or at least what the Cowboys want. They want 6'4+ 260 or LB's with a fast get off and ideally a sub 4.7 40. That's the ideal RE for a 4-3 pass rush player. Think more of a OLB K Mack, Von Miller, Demarcus Ware, Simeon Rice, Javon Kearse.... type guys.

#107 Dylan✭Wilson

Dylan✭Wilson

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,216 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:28 AM

His size is more of a 3t not a 1 in a 4-3, but really more of a 3-4 DE.

He is not what you want from a 4-3 RE or at least what the Cowboys want. They want 6'4+ 260 or LB's with a fast get off and ideally a sub 4.7 40. That's the ideal RE for a 4-3 pass rush player. Think more of a OLB K Mack, Von Miller, Demarcus Ware, Simeon Rice, Javon Kearse.... type guys.

Malik has the typical size of a 1T in our scheme. Cedric Thornton is 6'4", 295 lbs, for example.

Malik ran 4.85... at 295 lbs. And he plays faster than that on tape. Cam Robinson and Mike McGlinchey both struggled against him when he lined up at RE. Dallas may have their traditional measurements they prefer, but he's a freaky enough athlete to play across the line. That extra .15 forty time is negotiable, especially at his weight.

#108 Handyman065

Handyman065

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:39 AM

My dream draft.

1 Chidobe Awuzie CB Colorado
2 Marcus Williams S Utah
3 Daeshon Hall DE Texas A&M

Highly unlikely these guys fall that far but that would be my ideal situation.

I would be very happy with this.

19iyuo.jpg

#109 Handyman065

Handyman065

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:00 PM

The closet we get to draft day, the more and more I am convinced that a trade down to the early 30'stages is likely to be the best option for the Cowboys.

Frankly, I just don't see a huge difference between a lot of the very good CB prospects, and think drafting one at 35 would be just as good as the guy you get at 28. There are a dozen good CB's in the 25-50 range talent wise, and it really comes down to personal opinion which one is better than another.

As for DE, I see a lot of LDE prospects that are good players, but not many good RDE prospects. Honestly, the best RDE prospects available in round 1 are all OLB guys. I keep coming back to Tyus Bowser, who despite the lack of name recognition, I have rated slightly ahead of Watt. Both of those guys have speed and bend. I don't like McKinley or Harris. I think either Bowser or Watt or both will be available in the 35-40 pick range.

The one guy I would pick at 28 immediately is Jabrill Peppers. I would consider trading the Cowboys 1st & 4th round picks to move up to get him. I think he would be a difference maker at Safety, and could also be a nickel linebacker. He can match up against tight ends, and bring a load as an in the box safety.

19iyuo.jpg

#110 Cowboyway6

Cowboyway6

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:58 PM

I would draft McDowell any day before Foster,hands down. At least he stays on the field.We can work with a guy who makes himself available.Foster has the red flags that you just cant fix in a hurry.Dude needs to grow up.McDowell has a huge upside if he is on the right team.The Patriots seems to be a nice fit due to the Coach and the system.Tons of vets on the team would keep him in check.Not sure he would fit here,but I sure would like to find out,but not at 28.I would most definetly do it at 60.

I was a Foster guy until yesterday,that was maybe the final straw for me,unless he utterly drops like a rock to round 2-4.Even then,we better make darn sure he wont be suspended and he has his head on right.I have my doubts.

1826006,sXXt94kbkAOxQnR2NFu0eAOBojnI33_c Which S.O.B. took my Diablo Sandwich?

#111 kapikogolf

kapikogolf

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:17 PM

McDowell and he was one of our visits and can play any spot on our line...I really hope we get him with the 28th if he's there. With his upside we'd be stupid not to take him. I personally think he just turned off his senior year because he was on a **** team and the only player worth a **** on his entire line. Get him here!

word is he wwas a lockeroom cancer and you realy want a guy who turns it off. thats not a football player. We go 2-3 out the gate and he just says im turning off bc we suck

My Sig WAS better than yours. :( 
Now its back in the competition BzM6tpQCQAAGSD5.jpg
Ch8m179WwAA3lsL.jpg

Round 1 Tak McKinley RDE UCLA    UPDATED 4/25

Round 2  Fabain Moreau CB UCLA

Round 3 Xavier Woods La Tech

Round 4 Jeremy Cutrer CB Mid Ten 

Round 6 Kenny Galladay WR N.Ill.

Round 7 Isaiah McKenzie WR UGA

Round 7  Jerry Ugokwe   OT William and Mary

My mock will update as we get closer

#112 czarnickolas

czarnickolas

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:52 AM

The closet we get to draft day, the more and more I am convinced that a trade down to the early 30'stages is likely to be the best option for the Cowboys.

Frankly, I just don't see a huge difference between a lot of the very good CB prospects, and think drafting one at 35 would be just as good as the guy you get at 28. There are a dozen good CB's in the 25-50 range talent wise, and it really comes down to personal opinion which one is better than another.

As for DE, I see a lot of LDE prospects that are good players, but not many good RDE prospects. Honestly, the best RDE prospects available in round 1 are all OLB guys. I keep coming back to Tyus Bowser, who despite the lack of name recognition, I have rated slightly ahead of Watt. Both of those guys have speed and bend. I don't like McKinley or Harris. I think either Bowser or Watt or both will be available in the 35-40 pick range.

The one guy I would pick at 28 immediately is Jabrill Peppers. I would consider trading the Cowboys 1st & 4th round picks to move up to get him. I think he would be a difference maker at Safety, and could also be a nickel linebacker. He can match up against tight ends, and bring a load as an in the box safety.

I believe if the Cowboys get a decent trade partner they will do it. But finding one is the problem.

#113 Fan08

Fan08

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,215 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:47 PM

Why does it seem to me that the defensive backfield is the absolutely, positively #1 priority in the draft? (barring free agent signing). I mean we lost BOTH CB's and 2 safeties. That is 3/4 of your backfield (just counting starters). Signing Carroll helps somewhat and yet you STILL have only half the DB backfield accounted for. So it seems logical to me that the first guy coming off THAT board is going to be a DB. Thoughts?

Free agency provides an opportunity to shed players whose production fell short of expectations, hit their ceilings with no upside, or too expensive to retain.  I expect this draft will offer them an opportunity to get a really good DE, but I think they will only find that player at 28, the longer they wait the more luck comes into play. 

If the plan is to build a defense that can elevate this team past the first or second round in the playoffs, they must draft a DE.   Aaron Rodgers, ELi, and others on the 2017 schedule cannot be allowed comfort in the pockets or allowed the freedom to rollout.  Lets be realistic, about 17 DEs in this draft, but only a handful are better than what's currently on this roster.  Ask yourself these questions: can Dallas rely on teams not making a run on DEs after 28?  What level of DE talent will be available at 60..a.Lawrence type player?   Dallas cannot wait to draft a DE at 60 but can find a CB that can replace or produce better than Mo C at that position.

• kskboys likes this

Beware the Star that Rides the Dark Horse, for Hell follows with him!!!

#114 Fan08

Fan08

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,215 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:52 PM

I don't want selfish me-me type of players. I want guys you can count on each and every game no matter the circumstances. To me McDowell isn't that guy, and from what I've heard is a bit of a d-bag personality. 

McDowell is an impact player when things are going right, if the team is losing he disappears. I hope he is a 3rd round or later selection for this team.  

Beware the Star that Rides the Dark Horse, for Hell follows with him!!!

#115 czarnickolas

czarnickolas

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:55 PM

I see Spags did a story today, and he pretty much agree's with me. Unless something extraordinary happens we MUST take a DB.

#116 czarnickolas

czarnickolas

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:09 AM

I don't know if anybody is aware of it or not, but the Giants are looking to take clear advantage of our weakness. They now have 3 stud receivers, and we just lost our entire defensive backfield. We had better draft well so we can at least TRY and match up, that's all I can tell you, or Dak is going to have to put up a lot of yards.

#117 Croomraider

Croomraider

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted Today, 12:35 PM

Scandrick and Brown are far better in slot coverage.... therefore, we need TWO edge corners!!  lol

I say we take 4 corners in the draft and let these guys battle it out in camp.  

#118 Todd Fox

Todd Fox

Landry Hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68,573 posts
  • LocationSomewhere

Posted Today, 12:37 PM

Iʻm thinking Adoree shouldbe the pick at 28 if available.
  • czarnickolas likes this

1zfjwjl.jpg

#119 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 42,147 posts

Posted Today, 04:25 PM

I don't know if anybody is aware of it or not, but the Giants are looking to take clear advantage of our weakness. They now have 3 stud receivers, and we just lost our entire defensive backfield. We had better draft well so we can at least TRY and match up, that's all I can tell you, or Dak is going to have to put up a lot of yards.

Yup, and if we don't get a DLine who can pressure him, he will be able to.

Coverage doesn't stop good O's.   

• czarnickolas likes this

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users