You are here

Photo

Even with the tough schedule can we still go 12 and 4 or match last years 13 and 3

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 egocowboy

egocowboy

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:41 AM

Four of the teams we play should be tough but i still think we win the east

#2 jay94

jay94

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:52 AM

Highly unlikely.

#3 DasSchnitzel

DasSchnitzel

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill, North Carolina

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:12 AM

Nope. I'm guessing 9-7. People thinking that rookie DBs will come in and fill half of that position group as well as veterans did are, imho, wrong
  • jordanjssr, 408Cowboy and Kai-ser like this

#4 charleshaleyfan

charleshaleyfan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:13 AM

OMG...this schedule is especially brutal.  The front office had better put together a STELLAR defense FAST!!  I'm sticking with 2 beast pass rushers, Defensive secondary and an extra smoking WR..like yesterday in the draft. What if Dez gets hurt?  We would be screwed.

They have no room for error.  Do not bank on Jaylon Smith.  Have Door B in place..  AGGRESSIVE play calling and aggressive playmakers.  We are going to need it!  Shake the schemes up.

The dreaded Giants right out of the gate.  Giants & Eli are probably laughing right now.  I am not joking.  They own us.

#5 fanofdallasnotjj

fanofdallasnotjj

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts
  • Locationeast of indy

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:48 AM

NFC east has been adding offensive weapons, and we just dismantled our sub-par secondary to start over from scratch. Our D-line is a bunch of average joes and we are hanging on to the hope that we will be set at linebacker if everybody gets and stays healthy. Our offense will have to score 30/game.

• hadenough likes this

#6 Bobhaze

Bobhaze

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Tx.

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:00 PM

I never make season record predictions before we've even held the draft or finalized the roster. It's simply too early to know what any NFL team is going to be for the 2017 season. 

Here's the biggest problem for fans surfing that schedule and predicting who and where we win games: The NFL IS DIFFERENT EVERY YEAR! For example, coming off their SB appearance from the 2015 season, (where they went 15-1) Carolina looked like a juggernaut. Until the the 2016 season when they posted a 6-10 stinker.

It's a waste of time predicting games in April.

• Rawhide 74, emmittstaubach, heathgs and 6 others like this

#7 45yearCowboyFan

45yearCowboyFan

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:16 PM

Some good points in all the posts, but I have to echo Bobhaze, there is no way to tell what the year would bring.  Lots of people were penciling in the Cowboys in the SB in 2015, then Romo goes down, and we got 4-12.

Most teams depend on their quarterback to carry the team, what would Carolina be without Cam, or the Packers without Rodgers, or the Raiders without Carr?  Any of those guys can go down, as we saw with Carr, and the team immediately becomes an also-ran.

And while I'm not expecting great things from the new secondary, who knows?  Maybe Carroll will thrive in this scheme, Brown makes huge strides in his second year and we get a stud rookie CB in the draft.  Remember the 49ers won a SB with 4 rookie DBs, was many years ago of course, and they had Montana, but I can't automatically write off the Cowboys' secondary before they even get to camp.

Most years I'd make an early season prediction, but this year I just can't.  We have promise with Dak and Zeke playing so well last year, but we did get to play a pretty weak division last year, don't see the East being that bad again, with Wentz having a year under his belt, especially.

As with most seasons, but especially this one, it will be interesting, at the least...

And once again the schedule does the Cowboys no favors, 3 of the last 4 on the road...

• Bobhaze likes this

#8 heathgs

heathgs

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,132 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:19 PM

I never make season record predictions before we've even held the draft or finalized the roster. It's simply too early to know what any NFL team is going to be for the 2017 season.

Here's the biggest problem for fans surfing that schedule and predicting who and where we win games: The NFL IS DIFFERENT EVERY YEAR! For example, coming their SB appearance from the 2015 season, (where they went 15-1) Carolina looked like a juggernaut. Until the the 2016 season when they posted a 6-10 stinker.

. Schedule is only hard for bad teams. Good teams make their schedule look weak. We were worried about the schedule last year too and then when we were knocking all the teams off the narrative changed to "we haven't played anyone".
  • uvaballa, emmittstaubach, WECap193 and 4 others like this

#9 45yearCowboyFan

45yearCowboyFan

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:23 PM

Nope. I'm guessing 9-7. People thinking that rookie DBs will come in and fill half of that position group as well as veterans did are, imho, wrong

Well, we don't know, how many people dissed Carr, saying he was no good?  Carroll wouldn't have to be very good at all to be an improvement on Carr if that was the case.  (Not saying it is, just bringing up the point)

And It's not going to be all rookie DBs, Brown has a year under his belt, Heath is hardly a rookie, Jones is still here, Scandrick very experienced, Carroll an established vet.  That's one guy for the CB and S spots each, and I suspect the Cowboys will pick up a couple of more experienced DBs by camp.

And I seem to remember one Everson Walls, a rookie with 12 ints years ago, e.g., just being a rookie doesn't mean he can't be good...

• silver_n_blue_82 likes this

#10 uvaballa

uvaballa

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,859 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:23 PM

True plus a lot of those teams/fans are saying they probably don't want to play the Cowboys. No one knows which teams will be good yet or which teams will lose key players to injury.

. Schedule is only hard for bad teams. Good teams make their schedule look weak. We were worried about the schedule last year too and then when we were knocking all the teams off the narrative changed to "we haven't played anyone".

Last couple of years we've heard on here how much the secondary sucks. Now after the team lets most of those guys go fans are saying they're doomed for letting average players go. LMAO

• Silhouette, Techsass and 45yearCowboyFan like this

28rz2u8.jpg

#11 45yearCowboyFan

45yearCowboyFan

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:30 PM

In case anyone wants to get aggravated, just might mention the Pats get to play THEIR last two games at home, against the Bills and Jets.

Of course no telling what the teams will be like by mid-December, but based on the past, looks like a patsy late season schedule... 

• Keithfansince5 likes this

#12 45yearCowboyFan

45yearCowboyFan

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:33 PM

As with last year, probably the season will hinge on Zeke pounding the ball and Dak keeping turnovers down & making key plays running the ball, so the defense might not get put in too many tough spots....

• Relayer likes this

#13 jay94

jay94

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:33 PM

Here's the biggest problem for fans surfing that schedule and predicting who and where we win games: The NFL IS DIFFERENT EVERY YEAR! For example, coming their SB appearance from the 2015 season, (where they went 15-1) Carolina looked like a juggernaut. Until the the 2016 season when they posted a 6-10 stinker.

Going from a fourth place schedule to a first place schedule makes a difference, like wise with us and I'm sure it will reflect in our record.

• Bobhaze likes this

#14 45yearCowboyFan

45yearCowboyFan

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:35 PM

"we just dismantled our sub-par secondary to start over from scratch"

No, we still have Scandrick, Jones and Brown, Heath wasn't a starter but he played a lot, quite a bit of changes but I wouldn't agree with "from scratch"...

#15 45yearCowboyFan

45yearCowboyFan

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:38 PM

"Going from a fourth place schedule to a first place schedule makes a difference, like wise with us and I'm sure it will reflect in our record"

Probably, but in 2015 teams that played a first place schedule were probably thinking having to play the Cowboys, who had a 13-3 season, an 1,845 yard rusher and a Romo that was playing "bus driver" very well, meant a tough season, then Romo went down and the Cowboys were much easier to beat.

Can't assume the teams you will play will be as good as they were the year before...

#16 45yearCowboyFan

45yearCowboyFan

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:42 PM

Only one week until the draft, will be nice to have some actual news to discuss instead of what-ifs and projections.

Not that those are bad, but facts vs. conjecture is more interesting, at least to me....

#17 heathgs

heathgs

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,132 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:45 PM

True plus a lot of those teams/fans are saying they probably don't want to play the Cowboys. No one knows which teams will be good yet or which teams will lose key players to injury.

Last couple of years we've heard on here how much the secondary sucks. Now after the team lets most of those guys go fans are saying they're doomed for letting average players go. LMAO

I Know. Our secondary allows a high percentage of receptions, makes very few plays, but gets a lot of tackles. I don't see why we can't find other players to give up receptions and make tackles?

We just need to make sure other teams eventually make a mistake on their long drives like they did last year.
  • ironman366 likes this

#18 uvaballa

uvaballa

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,859 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:55 PM

Near the bottom in INT's the last two seasons. Time to get some fresh faces in there. Guys who really have to compete to keep their jobs.

That's seems to be Rod's entire strategy with bend but don't break. Make offenses be patient and mistake free to get points.

I Know. Our secondary allows a high percentage of receptions, makes very few plays, but gets a lot of tackles. I don't see why we can't find other players to give up receptions and make tackles?

We just need to make sure other teams eventually make a mistake on their long drives like they did last year.

BTW the team could go 11-5 or 12-4 and be better than last year's team. The goal is to win the division and get into the playoffs.

• heathgs likes this

28rz2u8.jpg

#19 5 Lombardis

5 Lombardis

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:58 PM

Unlikely we'll match last season's record, but if we do happen to make the playoffs watch out because this tough schedule will prepare us well for January.

#20 Trout31

Trout31

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,542 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:00 PM

Highly unlikely.

I tend to agree with you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users