13 replies to this topic

#1 karmaisabeautifulthing

karmaisabeautifulthing

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,372 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:04 AM

Whose calling the kettle black in that title?! Just because YOU'RE hated Buck, doesn't mean Romo will be too. IMO, Romo will be better then Simms....as long as he stays away from drinking tea.

giphy.gif

SN: CBS dumped Phil Simms and handed their No. 1 NFL analyst job to Tony Romo, a guy with zero TV experience. How do you think Romo will do in the booth?

Joe Buck: "It's a big job. You know as well as I do, Mike, that there's a level of scrutiny that seems to intensify every year over the year prior. I think it's a more demanding job than people realize. Fans think you just show up and start talking about football and throwing stuff against the wall. You and I know very well that's not the case. It is a highly scrutinized position, whether you're the play-by-play guy or the analyst, at that level. It's not just the NFL. I, and we (at Fox Sports), learned a lot from our first year covering the U.S. Open golf tournament. You have to get in there and do it when it counts.

"Tony can do all the practice games he wants. But until you know that there are people out there listening, it's a completely different feeling. That's the same as regards to our golf coverage. You can practice and game-plan and think you have it all worked out. But you have to get in there and do it to find out where to step, and where not to step, and what you need to know, and what you don't need to know, and how to prepare properly, and what's expected of you and how to better give the information every time you open your mouth. So it is going to be a steep learning curve for a really good guy.

"I think Tony's a good person. He's got a big heart. He wants to do well. I'm sure he will. But it's going to be a lot. I don't know that he's aware of how much it's going to take to step into that booth and go 100 mph."

http://dal.247sports...ng-him-52371887

#2 Kai-ser

Kai-ser

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:35 PM

SN: CBS dumped Phil Simms and handed their No. 1 NFL analyst job to Tony Romo, a guy with zero TV experience. How do you think Romo will do in the booth?

Such a stupid question. Phil Simms had zero TV experience when ESPN hired him in 1994, so why is that being used as a stick to beat Romo?

#3 karmaisabeautifulthing

karmaisabeautifulthing

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 19,372 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:19 PM

Agree. All those retired players who turned commentators had "zero TV experience". Buck just wanted to toss that out there because he's hated so much. Romo was his latest bait.

Such a stupid question. Phil Simms had zero TV experience when ESPN hired him in 1994, so why is that being used as a stick to beat Romo?

• Relayer and beware d-ware like this

#4 gamewatcher

gamewatcher

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,973 posts
  • LocationCorpus Christi, Texas

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:55 PM

...I will only state that...." if Phil Simms can do...Romo can do it!"....Joe Buck is a well known moron!... ;) 

• karmaisabeautifulthing and bluesilver68 like this

D84XPP3.png

"You have made me very angry ...very angry indeed !..  sleazy-422.gif

https://youtu.be/3Ai40JoNyYE

#5 Shawn_

Shawn_

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 15,127 posts
  • LocationCentralTexas

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:11 AM

I am looking forward to hearing something from him besides its a process and we will look at the film.. He will do fine in this new endeavor..

No good deed goes unpunished..

tenor.gif

#6 bluesilver68

bluesilver68

Landry Hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,261 posts
  • Locationis a place where someone can find you.

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:59 PM

I am looking forward to hearing something from him besides its a process and we will look at the film.. He will do fine in this new endeavor..

Dam straight he will. And if not he's still a millionaire, a father of 3 boys, hopefully happily married and will always have ties to the Cowboys and football.

80c65ad012248307f6c623cddbbb1e31.jpg

#7 Alpha Dak

Alpha Dak

Landry Hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,447 posts
  • LocationBeing a wolf.

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:22 PM

I wish Romo was taking over for Buck. Buck sucks.
  • karmaisabeautifulthing and Howard C like this
New Character from a friend of mine:

me_wolf.jpg

#8 Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,169 posts
  • LocationPJG Stealth Ops.

Posted 29 April 2017 - 04:58 AM

As much as I really dislike Buck, I think in this case he was trying to offer sincere advice and saying "Just work on learning it without worrying about what people might be saying."

#9 .G2.

.G2.

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,350 posts
  • LocationPJG Investigation Unit

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:17 PM

If anyone thinks Romo won't be hated on they're out of their minds. Romo makes the slightest mistake and people will start criticizing him for how his tie is done. Romo seems to be natural on camera, imo so I don't think it will matter to him.

#10 capcomeback

capcomeback

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:30 PM

I don't know what you guys are watching. Buck is one of the best two sports play-by-play guys out there (baseball/football).

To me, the FOX team has been better than CBS because they have both Buck and Aikman. That booth always seems stronger than Nance/Simms (where Simms seems like the weakest link). I think Nance is terrific and hopefully Tony will be a good fit.

#11 .G2.

.G2.

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,350 posts
  • LocationPJG Investigation Unit

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:12 PM

I don't know what you guys are watching. Buck is one of the best two sports play-by-play guys out there (baseball/football).

To me, the FOX team has been better than CBS because they have both Buck and Aikman. That booth always seems stronger than Nance/Simms (where Simms seems like the weakest link). I think Nance is terrific and hopefully Tony will be a good fit.

He's fantastic at calling baseball. It's not even debatable. Football? Meh, not so much. Very much less likable and he treats every 1st down like it's a home run. Very annoying demeanor. 

• karmaisabeautifulthing likes this

#12 karmaisabeautifulthing

karmaisabeautifulthing

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 19,372 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:00 PM

Simms was horrible. And that's why he was let go. CBS couldn't of chosen a better replacement then Romo.

JealousMajesticImperatorangel.gif

#13 karmaisabeautifulthing

karmaisabeautifulthing

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 19,372 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:04 PM

....and the MOST HATED moron. I've never seen anyone in life who's had more handed to them just because who their daddy was than Buck. Everytime Buck and Aikman call a game, I feel like I'm in a retirement home. Their style of calling is so dang BORING. :angry:

...I will only state that...." if Phil Simms can do...Romo can do it!"....Joe Buck is a well known moron!... ;) 

He's 3rd on the most hated list MLB. And MOST hated on FOX. Question is, what are you watching. He's horrible.

http://bleacherrepor...ed-broadcasters.

#14 capcomeback

capcomeback

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:15 AM

....and the MOST HATED moron. I've never seen anyone in life who's had more handed to them just because who their daddy was than Buck. Everytime Buck and Aikman call a game, I feel like I'm in a retirement home. Their style of calling is so dang BORING. :angry:

He's 3rd on the most hated list MLB. And MOST hated on FOX. Question is, what are you watching. He's horrible.

http://bleacherrepor...ed-broadcasters.

I don't tend to put a lot of stock in the "blecher report" (and that's not a typo). They tend to cater to people who have the attention span of two year olds and don't always vet their stuff all that carefully. It doesn't surprise me that most of their readership wouldn't like Buck (he's not a homer and can be critical). I'll stick to more reputable sources for sports (ESPN, CBS Sportsline, etc.).

I'll concede Buck is better with baseball, but he's still good with football. The guy is incredibly knowledgeable about baseball (he learned at his old man's knee and Jack was one of the best ever). Some people disliked the booth with McCarver, but usually just the casual fans who don't understand the game or its history. I really miss that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users