29 replies to this topic

#1 Millennial Messiah

Millennial Messiah

Professional

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:40 AM

He doesn't have to be a guy who sees the field all the time, he doesn't have to learn the whole playbook, but he needs to run a very fast 40 and be a threat to run the 9-route.

Thoughts?

• kskboys likes this

#2 Bobhaze

Bobhaze

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,734 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Tx.

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:33 PM

There is already a very long list of needs for this team. But this one has to be near the bottom. No disrespect brother, but 9 routes are not nearly as important to this team right now as guys who can tackle, rush the passer, and defend passes. 

• Keithfansince5, WECap193, Blackthorn and 1 other like this

#3 ironman366

ironman366

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:44 PM

If the question is could our offense be more explosive then the answer is yes.  But does that really make us better?   We have a really good offensive scheme that works for these players.  I don't think Dak should be asked to be much more aggressive than last year.  Let him make the safe completions for positive yards and let the RB's do their thing.   Let's not tweek the offense too much since it has been hugely successful with this group so far.  Couple that with the way they keep our defense off the field cause who knows how well we will perform with so many new faces this year.  To Bob's point we need to focus on defense as their learning curve will be the biggest.  

#4 Five Superbowls

Five Superbowls

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:47 PM

Offensive focus need to remain on the oline with both Free and Leary gone. Maybe a mid round OL.
  • beware d-ware likes this

#5 Trout31

Trout31

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:56 PM

He doesn't have to be a guy who sees the field all the time, he doesn't have to learn the whole playbook, but he needs to run a very fast 40 and be a threat to run the 9-route.

Thoughts?

NOPE!

We need all Defense players to be select in the draft!

We need no offensive players in this draft! 

There is already a very long list of needs for this team. But this one has to be near the bottom. No disrespect brother, but 9 routes are not nearly as important to this team right now as guys who can tackle, rush the passer, and defend passes. 

Yep! Right On! 

• Keithfansince5 likes this

#6 Bobhaze

Bobhaze

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,734 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Tx.

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:15 PM

Offensive focus need to remain on the oline with both Free and Leary gone. Maybe a mid round OL.

I do agree that we have some needs with O-line,WR and TE. I will be surprised if there are less than 2 offensive selections made in this draft.

#7 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 44,198 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:33 PM

I actually agree w/ the OP, just not before the 4th.   We've needed that fly guy for some time now, maybe a Ginn or Torey Smith type.

Incidentally, someone signed Torey, right?   I'd love to have had him for a decent price.   

Brings up my next question:   Why are teams still overdrafting and overpaying #2 WR speed types?    Yes, these guys do help your O, but you're looking at a guy to catch 25-50 passes or so and spread the field to help other receivers get open.    Tavon Austin, Ted Ginn, and even Deshean Jackson.     Thing is, a cheaper option like, say, a Jacoby Ford, Jacoby Jones, or a Marcus Wheaton type will get you almost the same results as more expensive options.     The dropoff just isn't enough to warrant spending big bucks and high draft picks on this type of player.   

Maybe Stacy Coley in the 6th/7th. 

• emmitt dorsett and buybuydandavis like this

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#8 THE OZ OF COWBOY COUNTRY

THE OZ OF COWBOY COUNTRY

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,236 posts
  • LocationBeaumont Texas

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:45 PM

Do teams that have these guys automatically win the SuperBowl? The Saints had one last year. Did they win the SuperBowl? The Bills had one last year. Did they win the SuperBowl? When we had Joey Gallaway and Terry Glenn how'd we do? We need a better receiving core speed or not. Just better! Quit confusing wants with needs.

#9 CouchCoach

CouchCoach

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,611 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:25 PM

I do agree that we have some needs with O-line,WR and TE. I will be surprised if there are less than 2 offensive selections made in this draft.

I am betting on 3 but 4 would not surprise me.  And I really wish they'd address the PR in this draft because we do not have a good one.

• Bulletbob22 likes this

#10 QuincyCarterEra

QuincyCarterEra

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:55 PM

Find a Free Agent that can do that and cut lucky to get the cap space. Don't waste a draft pick on a 5th option WR.

#11 gp_cowpolk

gp_cowpolk

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,725 posts
  • Locationlost

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:20 PM

We have a linebacker that can run that route and in his training video he makes a nice 1 handed catch 

Flag.jpg

#12 Spartacuslives

Spartacuslives

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:48 PM

The OP did not say draft this speedster in the 1st round, he didn't say pay truck loads of cash for a free agent. All he is implying is that we need to infuse some speed into this WR lineup. Sure we have a great ball control offense, however, someone with blazing speed to come in and get the safeties and cb's rocking back on their heels would do wonders for Zeke's running lanes and might even help Witten to get a bit more Yac. I have heard some refer to our passing game as dink and donk. Get a speedster and lets see if we can occasionally get the long ball to improve our offense. Offensive coordinators have studied Dak and Zeke and will be making adjustments, its time we put in a new wrinkle or two to keep them honest. I agree with the OP, we need a speedster to run the 9 routes and if he can play special teams and return punts all the better.

• kskboys, emmitt dorsett and Bulletbob22 like this

#13 emmitt dorsett

emmitt dorsett

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:06 PM

The OP did not say draft this speedster in the 1st round, he didn't say pay truck loads of cash for a free agent. All he is implying is that we need to infuse some speed into this WR lineup. Sure we have a great ball control offense, however, someone with blazing speed to come in and get the safeties and cb's rocking back on their heels would do wonders for Zeke's running lanes and might even help Witten to get a bit more Yac. I have heard some refer to our passing game as dink and donk. Get a speedster and lets see if we can occasionally get the long ball to improve our offense. Offensive coordinators have studied Dak and Zeke and will be making adjustments, its time we put in a new wrinkle or two to keep them honest. I agree with the OP, we need a speedster to run the 9 routes and if he can play special teams and return punts all the better.

Indeed. Don't get one at 28 or 60, or at all before day 3 really.  But get one. Use a late pick and maybe sign another one as a UFA.  Take a guy who can run and work with him if needs better ball tracking or receiving skills.  You can teach a fast guy to catch the ball.   You can't teach a slow guy with good hands to be fast. Elite deep speed kills, and keeps DCs and DBs awake at night.

• kskboys likes this

#14 THE OZ OF COWBOY COUNTRY

THE OZ OF COWBOY COUNTRY

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,236 posts
  • LocationBeaumont Texas

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:56 PM

The OP did not say draft this speedster in the 1st round, he didn't say pay truck loads of cash for a free agent. All he is implying is that we need to infuse some speed into this WR lineup. Sure we have a great ball control offense, however, someone with blazing speed to come in and get the safeties and cb's rocking back on their heels would do wonders for Zeke's running lanes and might even help Witten to get a bit more Yac. I have heard some refer to our passing game as dink and donk. Get a speedster and lets see if we can occasionally get the long ball to improve our offense. Offensive coordinators have studied Dak and Zeke and will be making adjustments, its time we put in a new wrinkle or two to keep them honest. I agree with the OP, we need a speedster to run the 9 routes and if he can play special teams and return punts all the better.

Isn't Lucky Withehead a speedster? Does he count? ☆ Sounds like another role player with no role. Also known as a wasted roster spot. We've had Lucky for multiple years now. What has he done for us? Speed doesn't make a good wide reciever. Good route running and good hands do. I'd rather a wideout that's super elusive over a wideout that's super fast. But as they say opinions vary. You have yours. I have mine.

#15 Spartacuslives

Spartacuslives

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:21 PM

Isn't Lucky Withehead a speedster? Does he count? ☆ Sounds like another role player with no role. Also known as a wasted roster spot. We've had Lucky for multiple years now. What has he done for us? Speed doesn't make a good wide reciever. Good route running and good hands do. I'd rather a wideout that's super elusive over a wideout that's super fast. But as they say opinions vary. You have yours. I have mine.

No actually I consider Lucky to be more quick than speedy. Did you happen to notice how DeSean Jackson burned our cb a time or two last season? He makes our defense take notice and we have to at the very least pay attention to him and use extra resources to keep from getting gutted. You have seen Dez disappear and T Will fade. Beasley is a slot possession receiver that does not have punt return skills. Not asking or wanting a "luxury" WR pick.  Wanting to finally get someone that has speed. Whereas its true that you don't necessarily have to have the speed guy to get to the super bowl, the Patriots don't necessarily have a top notch DE sack monster either but that's what we are all clamoring to draft next week. BTW, I never said that speed makes a WR good. I "implied" that we needed to get a receiver with speed that can also return punts. Yes it would be nice if he had good hands, was elusive, and a good route runner. Yes we all have our opinion but sometimes our opinions intersect but you would truly have to read these posts with an open mind to detect this. At the end of the day, both opinions matter nada to the guys that make the decisions and write the checks.

• kskboys likes this

#16 Keithfansince5

Keithfansince5

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,981 posts
  • LocationLehigh Acres, FL.

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:15 PM

I do like having 1 guy with insane speed. However, It has never really worked out in Dallas ever since Bullet Bob Hayes. I remember Joey Galloway having speed to spare yet never really caught on much here in Dallas. Plus, I am noticing a trend while watching games, I see too many stupid gamble plays a team makes on 3rd down and short. Over and over again I see teams throwing these dumb arse "deep routes" on those downs and most of the time not converting only to settle for a field goal attempt or a punt on 4th down.

Run that kind of route on 1st or 2nd down not on 3rd and short Sheesh. I hate that. Get the first down and be patient.

Stand-for-the-flag-kneel-for-the-cross.j

Check out my business website here.

#17 Mr. 4.37

Mr. 4.37

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,639 posts
  • Location5th dimension

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:13 PM

Sounds good but this offense uses more short to intermediate passing game.

Brice Butler is a 4.3 guy so they have a guy and he caught a 9 vs.@GB before halftime last year. I say look in house first, plus it's gonna be hard to crack this WR corp, so this speed guy better bring more to th table than a 9 route.
  • buybuydandavis, Relayer and beware d-ware like this

"We take calculated risk associated with victory" - Mike Tomlin

#18 Relayer

Relayer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,264 posts
  • LocationChristchurch NZ. (Go All Blacks)

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:42 PM

Sounds good but this offense uses more short to intermediate passing game.

Brice Butler is a 4.3 guy so they have a guy and he caught a 9 vs.@GB before halftime last year. I say look in house first, plus it's gonna be hard to crack this WR corp, so this speed guy better bring more to th table than a 9 route.

6'3" and runs a 4.39. Like you pointed out, we already have a guy on our roster who fits the OP's description. Just being fast doesn't make you Randy Moss.

CiG_s24XIAEVCjU.jpg?

The hardest hitter in football. :)

Darrell Royal

I might say this: we’ve always been a running team and I’m sure we will continue to be so. (We’ve been criticized for it, I might add.) But I’ve always felt that three things can happen to you whenever you throw the football, and two of them are bad. You can catch the ball, you can throw it incomplete, or have it intercepted.

#19 THE OZ OF COWBOY COUNTRY

THE OZ OF COWBOY COUNTRY

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,236 posts
  • LocationBeaumont Texas

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:46 PM

I do like having 1 guy with insane speed. However, It has never really worked out in Dallas ever since Bullet Bob Hayes. I remember Joey Galloway having speed to spare yet never really caught on much here in Dallas. Plus, I am noticing a trend while watching games, I see too many stupid gamble plays a team makes on 3rd down and short. Over and over again I see teams throwing these dumb arse "deep routes" on those downs and most of the time not converting only to settle for a field goal attempt or a punt on 4th down.

Run that kind of route on 1st or 2nd down not on 3rd and short Sheesh. I hate that. Get the first down and be patient.

A speedy WR would bring an element to the game that we do not already have. But now you have to force the ball into Mr.Speedy hands. Forcing the ball could cause problems especially for a young QB.

#20 DarrenWoodson

DarrenWoodson

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:00 PM

Wouldn't mind a speedster that could KR/PR and run the 9 route but it needs to be towards the end of the draft and that probably means they come with flaws.  But you could always get lucky with an Antonio Brown type.

• Mr. 4.37 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users