R1 (28) - DL Malik McDowell
R2 (60) - SS Desmond King
R3 (92) - CB Sidney Jones
R4 (133) - CB Jalen Myrick
R6 (211) - WR Ishmael Zamora
R7 (228) - DE Samson Ebukam
R7 (246) - SS Nate Gerry

----------------------------------------------------------------

Malik McDowell - A top five talent who can play anywhere you need him across the defensive line. He's dominant no matter where you line him up so he'll have every opportunity to see the field. He's your "War Daddy".

Desmond King - If he ran in the 4.4s, he would be universally recognized as the best CB in this draft. We draft him to fill a need at safety.

Sidney Jones - We likely have to wait a year before we can cash in on him, but he's worth the wait. He'll be our best CB in 2018.

Jalen Myrick - A SPARQ stud with elite speed. He's essentially 2016 Anthony Brown in terms of size, skills and position.

Ishmael Zamora - Could potentially become the best WR in this draft. He's a substantial upgrade over Terrance Williams, day one.

Samson Ebukam - Another SPARQ stud, the highest among pass rushers, in fact. We draft him hoping his freakish athleticism translates into him becoming a late-round steal.
(Credit: Jumbo)

Nate Gerry - Solid all-around safety who's good in coverage and in run support. He's your prototypical SS to complement King.
(Credit: cnuball)

----------------------------------------------------------------

FINAL THOUGHTS

My only problem with drafting Malik is missing out on Adoree' Jackson. That one hurt since he would solidify five different positions for this team.

I'm falling on the sword for Desmond King. He's one of my favorite players in the draft, but Dallas hasn't shown any interest. The lack of visits could mean they already feel great about him and don't feel the need to meet with him, but I'm also overly optimistic. Realistically, I think they go Marcus Williams at 60.

Another player it hurt to miss out on was JuJu Smith-Schuster. I think it would either require a trade down or him falling to 92 for us to draft him. He might be in play at 60, but we'll see. Either way, Ishmael Zamora is a great alternative.

I already know Jerry said they won't draft any redshirt players, but I also don't believe much of anything before the draft. I can't see us passing on Sidney Jones at 92.

FacebookBanner6_zps7z99n8y4.jpg

#2 jmunzz1116

jmunzz1116

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:10 PM

I would be doing backflips...that's the first pick I want us to land here too. Great mock. 

• Dylan✭Wilson likes this

#3 MaynardB

MaynardB

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationOklahoma backwoods

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:21 PM

I'd be very pleased with this draft

#4 Beaker42

Beaker42

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,931 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, IL

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:40 PM

I hope we don't grab Malik  -  he's a Busta Rhymes waiting to happen.

• One ✭ Star likes this

#5 sdfidaho

sdfidaho

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationBoise Idaho

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:17 PM

I don't think this defense can afford to take a chance on a potential head case like McDowell. Having said that, since the staff had him in for a visit and if they feel he is coachable, he would be a steal at 28.

I don't think there is any way Sydney Jones lasts to #92, even with the uncertainty of the timetable of his return

#6 One ✭ Star

One ✭ Star

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,478 posts
  • LocationThe Southern Tip of Texas

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:55 PM

With all due respect...

Terrible mock draft, DW.

✭ HOW BOUT DEM COWBOYS! ✭

#7 cnuball21

cnuball21

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,205 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:28 AM

Swap out Jones for a CB that is healthy and I'm on board. 

We can probably get a darn good one in the 3rd this year.

#8 Bless the Boys

Bless the Boys

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:27 PM

First pick scares me. If Rod can get him in line he could be a steal at 28. If not, he'll be a bust and wasted pick. 

Some on here would be hesitant to take Sidney in the 3rd, I wouldn't. TBH, I wonder why they wouldn't? In fact I doubt he lasts until then, but would run to the podium to take him at 92 if given the chance. I'd even be thinking long and hard about taking him at 60.

He's a consensus top 3 CB in this years very good class. He will be back in time to play at some point this season and would be a long term starter that we desperately need. 

The rest of the draft I'd be fine with. But I'm not sure I'd double up on SS if we get King. Maybe a LB or OT instead. 

• ironman366 likes this

Jesus and I Love the Dallas Cowboys!

It's not about anything you've done, it's about whats been done for you.

FIGHT!

#9 Handyman065

Handyman065

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:19 PM

Nicely done.

The only pick I didn't like was pick 246, and at that point, we really are picking nits. I'd draft a QB or RB.

19iyuo.jpg

#10 Dylan✭Wilson

Dylan✭Wilson

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,538 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:47 PM

Nicely done.

The only pick I didn't like was pick 246, and at that point, we really are picking nits. I'd draft a QB or RB.

QB Seth Russell was a Dallas Day workout and they met with him at his Pro Day. Stephen has given the impression that they plan on drafting a guy, and that could be him.

#11 Oreycsg

Oreycsg

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,705 posts
  • LocationThe road to the HoF

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:26 PM

Id be happy with this draft to be honest. Id change King to Marcus Williams but thats a small thing. And the last 3 picks will be a crap shoot anyways. It'll be fun to see what happens. I wouldn't mind grabbing Conley late to guarantee he comes to Dallas, just in case his rape accusation is false

SPEED at Corner

STRENGTH on the Line

Our Backers hit HARD

This STAR is gonna shine!

963ff48f5aabea8ace1d0bef918ab97b.jpg

#12 Dylan✭Wilson

Dylan✭Wilson

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,538 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:56 PM

Id change King to Marcus Williams but thats a small thing.

Yeah, I actually mentioned that in my final thoughts. I'm going down with the ship for Desmond King.

I wouldn't mind grabbing Conley late to guarantee he comes to Dallas, just in case his rape accusation is false

Same here.

#13 Oreycsg

Oreycsg

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,705 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:02 AM

Yeah, I actually mentioned that in my final thoughts. I'm going down with the ship for Desmond King.

Same here.

Could you imagine a starting line up on defense of

Ss: Byron Jones
FS: Marcus Williams

Lcb: Sidney Jones
Rcb: Gareon Conley
Ncb: AB/Scandrick
Relief cb: Myric

Will: Lee
Mike: Smith
Sam: Wilson

RDE: McDowell
Dt: Paea
Dt: Collins
LDE: Lawrence/Irving rotation

Thats pretty damn scary tbh...
  • Dylan✭Wilson likes this

SPEED at Corner

STRENGTH on the Line

Our Backers hit HARD

#14 Dylan✭Wilson

Dylan✭Wilson

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,538 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:52 AM

Could you imagine a starting line up on defense of

Ss: Byron Jones
FS: Marcus Williams

Lcb: Sidney Jones
Rcb: Gareon Conley
Ncb: AB/Scandrick
Relief cb: Myric

Will: Lee
Mike: Smith
Sam: Wilson

RDE: McDowell
Dt: Paea
Dt: Collins
LDE: Lawrence/Irving rotation

Thats pretty damn scary tbh...

That would be the best secondary in the league, hands down. It may not happen exactly like that with all signs pointing toward an Adoree' Jackson/Gareon Conley combo over Sidney Jones/Gareon Conley, but either or would net you similar results. Adoree' would drastically improve our special teams and Malik would drastically improve our entire defensive line. If only we could have both. I just can't wait to see who we pick tomorrow. 28 will dramatically shift the rest of our draft.

#15 Oreycsg

Oreycsg

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,705 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:26 AM

That would be the best secondary in the league, hands down. It may not happen exactly like that with all signs pointing toward an Adoree' Jackson/Gareon Conley combo over Sidney Jones/Garson Conley, but either or would net you similar results. Adoree' would drastically improve our special teams and Malik would drastically improve our entire defensive line. If only we could have both. I just can't wait to see who we pick tomorrow. 28 will dramatically shift the rest of our draft.

I hope we dont draft Adoree. I wont be super upset, but it would be a let down for sure. I dont like him nearly as much as others on thos board. I think he is a 2nd-3rd round player in my eyes

SPEED at Corner

STRENGTH on the Line

Our Backers hit HARD

#16 LeedsCowboys

LeedsCowboys

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • LocationLeeds, England

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:33 AM

McDowell projexts more as a 3-4 DE, he doesn't have that quick twitch Rod looks for in hius DL, I don't think Dallas has any interest in him.

darryl-moose-johnston.jpg

#17 Lane21Train

Lane21Train

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 01:39 PM

McDowell projexts more as a 3-4 DE, he doesn't have that quick twitch Rod looks for in hius DL, I don't think Dallas has any interest in him.

go look at the size history of the DE's Rod used in Chicago. Everyone always talks about Tampa but Chicago was his most recent team & his DE's were pretty damn big

#18 Dylan✭Wilson

Dylan✭Wilson

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,538 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:52 PM

That's just not true. He lined up everywhere at MSU - 3T, 1T, LE, RE, even SLB. There's tape of him bullying Cam Robinson and Mike McGlinchky when he lined up at RE, and those will be the top tackles taken in the next two drafts.

McDowell ran a 4.85 at 295 lbs.
Barnett ran a 4.88 at 259 lbs.
Harris ran a 4.82 at 253 lbs.
Watt ran a 4.69 at 252 lbs.
McKinley ran a 4.59 at 250 lbs.

Malik has the burst and freak athleticism to be a game-changing RE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users