#1 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,879 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 30 April 2017 - 11:04 PM

Its one thing to have a pushy parent,  but quite another to have a raving lunatic hellbent on controlling your financial future.  The kids father has nuked lucrative deals with Nike and all the other major players in the b-ball shoe biz b/c he wants his own brand............and he wants THEM to do it for him.

I feel bad for this kid b/c now NBA teams have to consider not only drafting Lonzo for his ability but also the baggage of his father.   Nobody wants to be in biz with this guy whose using his son as leverage.   Lonzo's dad may be responsible for him getting this far, as he is quick to constantly remind,     but is going to be an expensive liability from this point on.   

#2 jmunzz1116

jmunzz1116

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 11:36 PM

For sure...pretty sad. If he was my dad I would thank him for his help but tell him to back the **** off. He got Lonzo Ball where he's at because that's his job as a father. Cool someone raised there kid and he thinks he's supposed to get paid for it?  I could say something here but I won't....kid's lucky he has a dad though but this is the problem with some cultures I won't specify which but yeah...sad. 

• atlantacowboy likes this

#3 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,879 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 30 April 2017 - 11:45 PM

For sure...pretty sad. If he was my dad I would thank him for his help but tell him to back the **** off. He got Lonzo Ball where he's at because that's his job as a father. Cool someone raised there kid and he thinks he's supposed to get paid for it?  I could say something here but I won't....kid's lucky he has a dad though but this is the problem with some cultures I won't specify which but yeah...sad. 

That sums it up right there.  He feels he has made an "investment" in his son and its now time to get paid.  

#4 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,879 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:09 AM

Who's Lonzo ball?

Top prospect in the NBA draft.  He was probably going #1 overall but his dad's antics may ruin it for him.

• thestar4ever likes this

#5 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,879 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:24 AM

ahhh I'll google that. just can't get into basketball. Watched the Raptors play once, free throws are boring. Just seemed like a bunch of guys playing school yard ball then turning it up a notch with about 7 minutes left in the game until the playoff games then it gets a bit more intense. You like basketball eh? I hang on every play in football but every play in basketball looks like a repeat of the last :). I do love the NCAA tournament though

Not an NBA fan but this story about the Ball family has perked my interest.  The dad is a complete loon and makes Stephen A Smith seem like a mild mannered gentleman. 

I haven't watched an NBA game since Jordan retired............from the Bulls.    :)

http://www.cbssports...dan-one-on-one/

#6 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,879 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:19 AM

Did you like our draft Atlanta?

Sorry for delay,  i'm an early riser......get to bed early.

I loved our draft.  They picked the guy I was hoping for the first 3 rounds.  That never happens.   Switzer was a head scratcher but I liked the rest of the draft.    They really addressed the secondary in a significant way that will pay dividends for years.

My only regret is that we should have rolled the dice on Jake Butt in round 4. Even if he needed a redshirt year,  he was looking like a Witten clone in college. 

#7 bornafan1981

bornafan1981

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationMD

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:26 AM

He should take his BBB brand to Li-Ning, or get with the folks who make Shaq & Marburys shoes. They already have distro networks.

#8 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,879 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:14 PM

He should take his BBB brand to Li-Ning, or get with the folks who make Shaq & Marburys shoes. They already have distro networks.

The issue isn't the brand.  The issue is him.  He's a nutt and nobody wants to have him as a biz partner. ...... Lonzo himself might be able to go that route once he establishes himself in the NBA,  but he's going to find his father as an achilles heal.

#9 bosd

bosd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 02:58 PM

There is always someone who has to remind the rest of the world that kids are kids, but after a certain age, you have to let go of the reigns a bit and let your kid find themselves in the world.

I think he is just trying to protect his son because of what he went through in the NBA.  He knows the pitfalls and the other issues of the NBA as well as how an injury could be end of the career.  But he needs to let his son be his own person and just guide him along rather than grabbing the wheel and refusing to let go.

Kaneh-Bosm

#10 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,879 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:50 PM

There is always someone who has to remind the rest of the world that kids are kids, but after a certain age, you have to let go of the reigns a bit and let your kid find themselves in the world.

I think he is just trying to protect his son because of what he went through in the NBA.  He knows the pitfalls and the other issues of the NBA as well as how an injury could be end of the career.  But he needs to let his son be his own person and just guide him along rather than grabbing the wheel and refusing to let go.

His father was a mediocre small college player.  He never played a day in the NBA.   This is about money not what is best for his son professionally. 

#11 bosd

bosd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:27 PM

His father was a mediocre small college player.  He never played a day in the NBA.   This is about money not what is best for his son professionally. 

mixed up NFL with NBA. I he didn't see time on the field, I think.

It's always been about money.  

Kaneh-Bosm

#12 Juggernaut

Juggernaut

Landry Hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,085 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:31 AM

His deluded self-aggrandizing ignorance is unpresidented, an insult to the game and the great ones he deminshed:

PY3UXWD.png

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaVar_Ball#Criticism

• bosd likes this

Qm9qBfi.jpg

#13 Oreycsg

Oreycsg

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,595 posts
  • LocationThe road to the HoF

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:35 PM

Top prospect in the NBA draft. He was probably going #1 overall but his dad's antics may ruin it for him.

He waz never going #1 over all. Fultz will be #1 no matter who has the pick

SPEED at Corner

STRENGTH on the Line

Our Backers hit HARD

This STAR is gonna shine!

963ff48f5aabea8ace1d0bef918ab97b.jpg

#14 uvaballa

uvaballa

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,240 posts
  • LocationTHE DMV

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:10 PM

The dad is crazy but he's like another loud mouthed guy we all hear about daily. They just like attention and ratings.

I respect anyone who tries to build their own brand instead of letting the big companies use your name and paying you a lot less than they'll get.

http://dailysnark.co...signature-shoe/

BTW the shoes are way too expensive but I bet they'll come down soon. Now if he becomes a star in the league he can keep that price because there are sneakers selling for that price.

• bornafan1981 likes this
2r7n7m0.jpg

#15 heathgs

heathgs

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,044 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:45 AM

I would laugh if the Lakers passed on him and took Fox from Kentucky instead.
  • mrsouthpaw likes this

#16 cern

cern

Landry Hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,716 posts
  • Locationmy ranch in west texas

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:55 AM

bruno magli is interested in the shoe seal.

simba ni simba.  hata akila majani.

#17 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,879 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:44 AM

He waz never going #1 over all. Fultz will be #1 no matter who has the pick

Thats an opinion not a fact.  

#18 One ✭ Star

One ✭ Star

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,453 posts
  • LocationThe Southern Tip of Texas

Posted 13 May 2017 - 05:17 AM

Its one thing to have a pushy parent, but quite another to have a raving lunatic hellbent on controlling your financial future. The kids father has nuked lucrative deals with Nike and all the other major players in the b-ball shoe biz b/c he wants his own brand............and he wants THEM to do it for him.

I feel bad for this kid b/c now NBA teams have to consider not only drafting Lonzo for his ability but also the baggage of his father. Nobody wants to be in biz with this guy whose using his son as leverage. Lonzo's dad may be responsible for him getting this far, as he is quick to constantly remind, but is going to be an expensive liability from this point on.

Easy way to fix this problem. Jr boy needs to tighten that belt around his waist, put on his big boy pants...and put his big mouth father in his place. If not, big mouth daddy is going to continue to ruin Jr's future.

✭ HOW BOUT DEM COWBOYS! ✭

#19 DDdave2

DDdave2

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:48 AM

Looks like he will be a Celtic or a Laker soon. Most think the Celtics take Fultz and Ball goes to the Lakers. Makes sense to me.

"Enough with the trick plays Bert, run the dang ball"

#20 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,879 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:37 AM

Looks like he will be a Celtic or a Laker soon. Most think the Celtics take Fultz and Ball goes to the Lakers. Makes sense to me.

Well,   Lonzo will only workout for the Lakers and his Dad has made it loud and clear his son is going to play in LA.  Why would Boston draft him knowing that he would likely never re-sign with them ..........even if he did agree to play out his rookie contract there?  He'd be 4 years and done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users