#1 Oreycsg

Oreycsg

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,705 posts
  • LocationThe road to the HoF

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:47 PM

Like I said WAY too early... but hey. I enjoy evaluating college players all year, so no reason not to have some fun now. This is based on my own preliminary pre-2017 CFB season rankings. This lists also assumes that the 2017 draft pans out how we expect it to. 

I will also be putting us at 32, not just because I assume we will win the super bowl, but also to give a better feel for the end of the rounds, we will more than likely be somewhere between 21-32 anyways. We will also have 4 compensatory picks next year (One 4th, two 5th, one 6th)

I haven't watched enough tape to safely commit to a full 7 round mock, but here we go.

WARNING: THIS IS FOR FUN. I DO NOT PRESUME TO KNOW HOW THIS DRAFT CLASS WILL PLAY OUT. IT IS ALSO A WAY TO GIVE PLAYERS FOR YOU GUYS TO STUDY OVER THE COURSE OF THE SEASON.

ROUND 1:

Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama

6'1" 188 LBS

Dez Bryant needs a true #2 next to him. T. Will is okay, but he is no #2. Ridley is a skilled player, has speed (Projected 40 time: 4.43-4.46) and a knack for getting open. He understands the game, and knows how to shake a defender. He is a big body with the route running ability of a smaller receiver. His tape will trick you into thinking he is a sub 6 foot receiver because of how fluid his hip movement is and it's a rare combo of agility and size. Could bulk up a bit when he reaches the NFL, is sleight for his frame, but has proven to be a true play maker. Similar to Amari Cooper before him, he can catch the ball and make plays after the catch. He is ALWAYS a big play threat, and could easily be groomed as the next #1 WR in Dallas for when Dez's contract is up. 

ROUND 2:

Duke Ejiofor, DE, Wake Forest

6'3" 275 LBS

Possibly my favorite DE in this draft. Could see him going higher than this, but right now he is behind enough EDGE type guys on my board that he can fall to here as well. Has an ideal body type for our edge rusher, quick get off, great hand work, decent bend. Has elite traits, but needs to be refined. Could see him getting quicker in the NFL. Plays both pass and run well. Immediate starter. 3 down DE. Will get pressure, will prevent outside runs. Has a multitude of rush moves that he is more than proficient in. Has the quickness to get up field and beat LTs, but also the strength to bull rush. Smaller program, so his competition isn't the best, but he has shown more than enough explosiveness and talent to be a true NFL talent.

Lets be honest too... do you think we re going to give D. Lawrence a big contract? No. If he is willing to stay on a small deal that's fine, but our move with Mo just solidifies my belief that he will leave in FA. 

ROUND 3:

Marcus Allen FS/SS Pen State

6'1" 201 LBS

A man with amazing cover ability. Has great instincts, and is going to be able to play in the box, or as the single high safety. a sure tackler with the prototypical size for the position. Not a ball hawk like Xavier is, but he gets the job done and prevents QBs from completing the ball. When he is going to stop you he leads with his shoulder and is trying to make you feel him in the middle of the field. Strongest play is in the run game as support. He doesn't often allow runners past him. Great lateral movement, average speed for the position. In a class with other safeties like Derwin James, Jordan Whitehead, Armani Watts, and Damon Webb. It isn't a stretch to see him falling into the third. Skill set compliments Byron Jones.

ROUND 4:

Lorenzo Carter OLB Georgia

6'5" 242 LBS

Carter is an ideal fit at SAM for us. He is big bodied, and quick on his feet. Watching his tape his speed is the first thing that jumps out at you. He is a hard hitter that is decent in coverage, but his best trait is hitting. He will smack you if you get into his area. Decent pass rushing ability but nothing that would make me want to convert him into a DE. His combo of size and speed makes him ideal to cover the strong side and handle big TE's like Gronk and Reed that create mismatches for other LBs. a physical player who looks like he is loving every minute of being on the field. Love his intensity and his size for the position. Needs to learn how to use his size to get off defenders, will often get caught up in a block by a tackle, and is hard for him to disengage. Although his speed causes him to draw  lot of holding calls as well.

Bentley Spain OT UNC

6'6" 300 LBS

Played LT most of his career, but his strength puts his position fit more at RT in the NFL. Has good footwork, with decent athleticism. A great developmental prospect that can be a swing tackle as a back up if Bell works out, or a starting RT as he progresses. His size and strength add extra protection to an already strong line. I think this kid is going to be a steal. Has a ton of upside, and leadership traits that we look for especially on our O-line. 

SPEED at Corner

STRENGTH on the Line

Our Backers hit HARD

This STAR is gonna shine!

963ff48f5aabea8ace1d0bef918ab97b.jpg

#2 DanAn

DanAn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:50 AM

Interesting. Probably not the exact direction I would go exactly but everybody has a different opinion and a lot can change. If it were me I would probably go something like:

RD 1: Orlando Brown (OT) 

He's huge and a really good run blocker. I think he would make an exceptional RT and would fix the one weakness we have on our O-line.

RD 2: Rd 3: Porter Gustin (DE)

I'd like it to be the other way around but to me the 1st round OT's look pretty good and there's a few of them. I really like this guy because he bends around the corner nicely and uses his length to good effect. A bit like TJ Watt he's played most of his time as an OLB but he's a lot more experienced, slightly bigger and maybe not quite the SPARQ freak but still good.

RD 3: Akrum Wadley (RB/WR)

A really solid 3rd down back to play behind Zeke. He's a fun guy to watch with great agility, fantastic speed and a wicked spin move. A bit like Curtis Samuel but maybe capable of running a bit more between the tackles. If we looked at Curtis Samuel last year maybe Wadley would be a good alternative, depends on how Switzer is used and if they fit together. Had a great game against that fantastic Michigan defense for Iowa. McFadden and Morris are out of contract so we need a running back somewhere I think.

RD 4: Nick Fitzgerald (QB)

He's really raw but has good athleticism and looks a player. I'd like a 4th round QB to groom and there's a lot of names floating around at QB, it's quite a deep draft where we should be able to get a guy to develop in the mid rounds.

#3 ryanaustinh

ryanaustinh

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:52 AM

I think next year will definitely be somewhat of what I call a luxury pick draft, we will likely only have Lawrence and Hitchens as significant FAs, we will be able to start replacing our veteran depth like Looney/Cooper & bell with a younger, cheaper draft choice.

#4 My_Name_Is_Dallas

My_Name_Is_Dallas

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,406 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:35 AM

Well way to early for this but Ill take a shot

RD1-Harold Landry, DE, Boston College

If we can grab him I would be very happy.  Surprised he returned for his senior year, great RDE prospect, and its 50/50 we bring DLaw back so we can move Taco to the left and have Landry on the right.

RD2-Troy Fumagalli, TE, Wisconsin

Yes another RD2 TE, and he may not be here.  We missed out on Jake Butt last year, but here's another Big 10 TE who plays in a pro style offense, blocks, but also has great hands.  Might not make it this far.

RD3-Kevin Tolliver II, CB, LSU

All projection right now.  But he has a lot of talent.  6' 3", good speed.  His position will fluctuate based on his performance this year.  But with Scandrick older and Caroll in for cheap I expect to see another secondary player drafted in the first 3 rounds next year.

Jason-Witten-1600-1200.jpg

I think when the regular season starts everyone starts in the same place. #1 or #32 depending on your life outlook. (so #32 for you.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users