#2 OldSchoolBum

OldSchoolBum

Professional Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:00 AM

Man if we would have kept parcells and phillips as DC this team would've have won a super bowl. Even when he was OC he still didn't have a handle on the game. Can't wait for Garrett to be blown out.

• jordanjssr, vzxw1c, hadenough and 3 others like this

#3 408Cowboy

408Cowboy

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:12 AM

Not suprised

#4 Needmorerings

Needmorerings

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationDeep South

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:17 AM

Wade Phillips passing the buck. That one play did not cost him his job.  It doesn't sound like JJ respected him either.

• bleedblue1111 and Silhouette like this

#5 408Cowboy

408Cowboy

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:20 AM

Wade Phillips passing the buck. That one play did not cost him his job. It doesn't sound like JJ respected him either.

of course he didn't he hired his oc for him remember?
  • atlantacowboy, Silhouette and TexasStadium33 like this

#6 Silhouette

Silhouette

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:23 AM

Wade Phillips passing the buck. That one play did not cost him his job.  It doesn't sound like JJ respected him either.

So you're saying the ring of honor is unlikely for Wade :-)
  • bleedblue1111 likes this

#7 bleedblue1111

bleedblue1111

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,165 posts
  • LocationArlington, Texas

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:53 AM

Great DC. Terrible head coach.
  • Original fan since 1975, Bobhaze, vzxw1c and 8 others like this

#8 bleedblue1111

bleedblue1111

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,165 posts
  • LocationArlington, Texas

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:56 AM

Wade Phillips passing the buck. That one play did not cost him his job. It doesn't sound like JJ respected him either.

Lol true. What answer did he give Garrett, when Garrett asked him what he wanted to do before the half. "Uhhhh I dunno." Or something like that.

#9 Beefmaster

Beefmaster

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,746 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:58 AM

Why is he upset? He should thank Jerry and JG he went on to get a ring while they have won one playoff game.
  • Sonny likes this
Nobody owes you anything life is what you make of it.

#10 PaulM

PaulM

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:25 AM

I'm still disgruntled that he was ever the HC of the Dallas Cowboys. I"m disgruntled that he was the HC of one of the most talented Cowboys teams in their history. HE was the main reason that they were one and done in the playoffs in 2007. He's a good guy but a terrible head coach. His hiring to lead the team was one of ole Jer's biggest mistakes.

• eduncan and bleedblue1111 like this

#11 gp_cowpolk

gp_cowpolk

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,030 posts
  • Locationlost

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:41 AM

It is better to be disgruntled than it is to be disgruntled on

• .G2., One ✭ Star and thestar4ever like this

jYUkRfj.jpg

#12 One ✭ Star

One ✭ Star

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,467 posts
  • LocationThe Southern Tip of Texas

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:05 AM

It is better to be disgruntled than it is to be disgruntled on

lol

✭ HOW BOUT DEM COWBOYS! ✭

#13 bosd

bosd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:20 AM

Well in Wade's defense, JG was never a fan of the run game early in his career.  KILL KILL KILL was usually SG-draw.  Hardly sent WR's in full motion to help his young QB recognize if coverage was man or zone.  Set up Romo for those picks when he would give his QB a run and a pass play to choose from.  Teams would show run blitz and then tee off on Romo cause he was only doing what his OC told him to do.  If not for Linehan, we'd be doing the same thing to this day.  No Murray and no Zeke in terms of crushing it on the ground game.  And who can forget the constant 7 step drops?  

Calling pass plays when inside the 10, let alone 5 yard line, when the smart thing to do is run the ball.  Give up running the ball when the run is working and mysteriously, going to the pass, especially when up by multiple scores.  Should have seen Wade's face at the second game ever at Jerry's World against the Panthers on the goal line.  The exasperation on his face probably mirrored the rest of Cowboys nation that night.

Hell, it wasn't until Callahan got here and showed the O-line how to actually run block that we looked like a NFL team running the ball for the first time in years.  It was THAT evident in the first pre-season game, I think against his old team the Raiders.  I was soooo happy when I saw that.

That was also one dysfunctional period in terms of Cowboys coaches.  Funny, through all the lean years in the late 90's and early 2000's, no matter how bad our offense would be, our defense was at the worst, just decent.  Usually it was what helped us keep us in many a games.  Under JG's stewardship as HC, we have had some terrible defenses.

Wade was set up in 2010.  

But for real, you guys recall how we all roasted JG on the forums the following Monday after that SNF game that is talked about in the article?  Yea he deserved that.  I guess growing pains.  Too bad we had to be the ones to feel his growing pains, lol.  I kind of wish he had gone to B-more, but they are my 2nd favorite team so kinda glad that he didn't, lol.  Then again, if he did, he would have been out of a job in 2-3 yrs.

• eduncan, sulu1701, Sonny and 1 other like this

Kaneh-Bosm

#14 jay94

jay94

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:33 AM

Who's generally happy about getting fired?  No one.

#15 buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,854 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:48 AM

Wade still doesn't comprehend the raw deal that he got. He thinks the problem was Garrett getting paid more than him, and then getting dumped midseason. "The OC shouldn't be paid more than the HC." Ha! You were HC in name only. Just warming the chair for the HC in Waiting.

Wade was the Regent Who Thought He Was King. And then learned otherwise when the Princeling got old enough to assume rule.

<Insert gif of hangdog expression>

• bosd, One ✭ Star and thestar4ever like this

Dead cap money is *dead*. It's not resurrected by keeping a guy on the team and paying him a salary this year, it is only pushed off onto a future year, and now you've added this year's salary to his cumulative cap hit. 

#16 charleshaleyfan

charleshaleyfan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:29 AM

going 1-6 and having no excuse for it...with a 13-3 team.   Any Coach would be fired.  Nobody really cares about this anymore. 

JG asked a specific yes or no question to Wade as to what O play to call with 4 seconds left before the half:  run out the clock or run a play.  Wade's answer was "Yes".  ??? 

#17 eduncan

eduncan

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  • LocationWheeling, WV

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:06 AM

Well in Wade's defense, JG was never a fan of the run game early in his career. KILL KILL KILL was usually SG-draw. Hardly sent WR's in full motion to help his young QB recognize if coverage was man or zone. Set up Romo for those picks when he would give his QB a run and a pass play to choose from. Teams would show run blitz and then tee off on Romo cause he was only doing what his OC told him to do. If not for Linehan, we'd be doing the same thing to this day. No Murray and no Zeke in terms of crushing it on the ground game. And who can forget the constant 7 step drops?

Calling pass plays when inside the 10, let alone 5 yard line, when the smart thing to do is run the ball. Give up running the ball when the run is working and mysteriously, going to the pass, especially when up by multiple scores. Should have seen Wade's face at the second game ever at Jerry's World against the Panthers on the goal line. The exasperation on his face probably mirrored the rest of Cowboys nation that night.

Hell, it wasn't until Callahan got here and showed the O-line how to actually run block that we looked like a NFL team running the ball for the first time in years. It was THAT evident in the first pre-season game, I think against his old team the Raiders. I was soooo happy when I saw that.

That was also one dysfunctional period in terms of Cowboys coaches. Funny, through all the lean years in the late 90's and early 2000's, no matter how bad our offense would be, our defense was at the worst, just decent. Usually it was what helped us keep us in many a games. Under JG's stewardship as HC, we have had some terrible defenses.

Wade was set up in 2010.

But for real, you guys recall how we all roasted JG on the forums the following Monday after that SNF game that is talked about in the article? Yea he deserved that. I guess growing pains. Too bad we had to be the ones to feel his growing pains, lol. I kind of wish he had gone to B-more, but they are my 2nd favorite team so kinda glad that he didn't, lol. Then again, if he did, he would have been out of a job in 2-3 yrs.

Good post! That brings back a lot of memories.

I remember the 2008 season finale vs the Eagles. 44-6 I believe it was.
  • bosd likes this

#ChuckHowley

chuckring.jpg

#18 heathgs

heathgs

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,068 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:22 AM

Good post! That brings back a lot of memories.

I remember the 2008 season finale vs the Eagles. 44-6 I believe it was.

That same season we got blown out by a 2-14 Rams team the first week Romo went down. Team totally unprepared to play.
  • thestar4ever likes this

#19 One ✭ Star

One ✭ Star

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,467 posts
  • LocationThe Southern Tip of Texas

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:32 AM

Wade still doesn't comprehend the raw deal that he got. He thinks the problem was Garrett getting paid more than him, and then getting dumped midseason. "The OC shouldn't be paid more than the HC." Ha! You were HC in name only. Just warming the chair for the HC in Waiting.

Wade was the Regent Who Thought He Was King. And then learned otherwise when the Princeling got old enough to assume rule.

<Insert gif of hangdog expression>

https://youtu.be/YYjsTobQsck

✭ HOW BOUT DEM COWBOYS! ✭

#20 Bobhaze

Bobhaze

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,597 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Tx.

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:01 PM

Great DC. Terrible head coach.

Jerry hires head coaches primarily based on his own personal comfort rather than real qualifications. Jerry will never again hire an "alpha male" HC after Jimmy and Parcells. Wade was a pushover as a HC. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Garrett, he does garner more respect from his players than "Coach Cupcake" ever did..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users