166 replies to this topic

#21 Grandpaw_G_Bundy

Grandpaw_G_Bundy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,458 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:21 PM

"everybody was hurt" just repeat that, and we have no talent, but Jason is drafting talent, but we have no talent. and Jerry will not let Jason do anything.. And Jerry "talks for Jason"............lmao...

A vital team characteristic is the ability to overcome adversity. Any team acquires experience and endurance as it learns to fight back. This in turn builds the kind of character which seldom crumbles at a time of crisis or testing.
Tom Landry

Tom_Landry

Garrett is the basketball coach leading the game with 29 seconds left in the game. He runs a play to score again instead of running the clock out. The opposing team gets the rebound and drives the court to win.
This is Garrett, but the excuse would be "well if he had scored we would have won."  smh.

________________________________________________________________________________________

rides2.gif

#22 DDdave2

DDdave2

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:21 PM

Everyone is talking about how bad the Offense was in the first half of 2010. I remember how bad the Defense was too. They were suckified bad. Running all over the field tripping over each other, not knowing the playcall,  missed tackles, wide open receivers burning the secondary left and right. It was so ugly I started calling them the Keystone Kowboys. Wade may have been a good DC most of the time but that half year was one of the worst EVER!!

P.S. There was more than one reason we were calling Wade Clown Shoes by the time he was fired. Or have you forgotten?

• bleedblue1111 likes this

"Enough with the trick plays Bert, run the dang ball"

#23 LocalCowboyDiehard

LocalCowboyDiehard

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:22 PM

Wade got the boot and JG got a free pass for 2015. That I don't get. We have very short memories and remember things to justify what we think. The truth is Wade was a very good DC and we called him a "cream puff" coach who ran "cream puff" training camps. Now his "cream puff" training camps are mandated by the league. We should also remember that Wade had to deal with one of the worst off field cancers in NFL history, TO. AND, he had to live through one of the worst trades in Cowboy history in 2008 when we traded for Roy Williams 2 and sold the farm to get him. JG's tenure has been a cake walk compared to Wades.

There was a huge difference in how the team collapsed in 2010 compared to 2015.

Also we were 1-5 with Romo playing. Then after Romo went out we were getting blown out.
<p>It's easy to make labels and attach them to people, labels that are derogatory, to lessen the impact of their voice.

#24 LocalCowboyDiehard

LocalCowboyDiehard

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:27 PM

Wade was undermined from the beginning with Jerry hiring Garrett first and naming him " the future of the Dallas Cowboys".

Wade wasn't allowed to hire or bring in his own coaching staff. He was not set up for success. Wade was basically brought in for his 3-4 expertise .

It was known with the announcement of Garrett that Wade would have a short leash mentoring Garrett to take over some day.

This whole scenario was unprecendted with how Jerry handled the entire hiring situation and why Jerry continues to be the Achilles Heel of football operations.
  • bosd, sulu1701, Howard C and 1 other like this
<p>It's easy to make labels and attach them to people, labels that are derogatory, to lessen the impact of their voice.

#25 Star Power

Star Power

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • LocationEast Texas Pineywoods

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:44 PM

... but a terrible head coach. His hiring to lead the team was one of ole Jer's biggest mistakes.

I wouldn't go as far as to say this.  Jerrah has a bag full of bigger mistakes.   Maybe even a boxcar full.  Pissin' off the 90's dyanasty being, BY FAR,  the biggest by firing Jimmah and hiring Switzer who coulda not cared less about being a HC, followed by the litany of loser coaches and FA signings.  Jerrah effed this team over and made it a laughing stock all the way up to hiring The Tuna and still has the potential to eff up a wet dream.  Wade's weakness was simply that ... being weak!  Good/great defensive designer, fair HC.  Winning generally follows him around.

50 51 Years Cowboy Fan ... that's all folks! 

#26 Geno T

Geno T

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts
  • LocationAustin TX, Branson MO, Cape Cod MA, SoCal, Belgium, various points beyond

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:36 PM

When you start your fourth season 1-7, after going 13-3, 9-7 and 11-5 in your first three, you're gonna get fired.

Coach Cupcake lost the locker room with his country club discipline.

• InTheZone and bleedblue1111 like this

"The only stat that matters is the final score." — Bobby Layne

#27 LocalCowboyDiehard

LocalCowboyDiehard

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:57 PM

In 2010 Wade couldn't win WITH Romo.

#28 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,886 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:58 PM

I'm still disgruntled that he was ever the HC of the Dallas Cowboys. I"m disgruntled that he was the HC of one of the most talented Cowboys teams in their history. HE was the main reason that they were one and done in the playoffs in 2007. He's a good guy but a terrible head coach. His hiring to lead the team was one of ole Jer's biggest mistakes.

That is far from a fact..   The Giants defense won that game.  They held the offense to 17 points and forced 2 turnovers.    Wade proved he can coach a defense to a super bowl win.   Still waiting on Carrot top to accomplish something.

• Grandpaw_G_Bundy and TexasStadium33 like this

#29 CouchCoach

CouchCoach

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,110 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:06 PM

Wade has defended himself with his regular season record in every HC job and never really had command of the locker room.  With a team like the Cowboys, any HC is going to fight for command of the locker room.  He was hired for two reasons, fix the D and stay out of the way.

Wade was in a no win situation with Garrett and Son working on Booger behind the scenes and his start in 2010 doomed him and played into their plans.  He was the HC, blaming the OC shows how week he was as a HC.  And I hold Garrett responsible for that horrible play calling in the playoff game.  One HC that never was a good OC over one OC that's never been a good OC.  They're both pass game coordinators and Parcells was smart enough to keep Garrett out of the run game.

Sour grapes but he is right about one thing.  No owner pays any coaches more than the HC, that is just not done and is a bad business practice, especially when it's public knowledge.  Snyder paid 2 coordinators 3M each but he made sure his HC was in at 5M.  Think NFL players don't look at money as a ranking?  Why do so many have clauses in their contracts that no player at their position can be paid more?  SEA lost AP OL Steve Hutchinson to MIN over that very clause.  They couldn't pay him more and MIN knew it.

Booger, Son and Garrett didn't respect Wade, think the players did?  And the irony is only one player really showed he was in Wade's corner...Owens.  

• bosd, atlantacowboy and One ✭ Star like this

#30 eduncan

eduncan

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  • LocationWheeling, WV

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:39 PM

going 1-6 and having no excuse for it...with a 13-3 team. Any Coach would be fired. Nobody really cares about this anymore.

JG asked a specific yes or no question to Wade as to what O play to call with 4 seconds left before the half: run out the clock or run a play. Wade's answer was "Yes". ???

The team had no fight. They quit on Wade.

He had to go.
  • bleedblue1111 likes this

#ChuckHowley

chuckring.jpg

#31 bosd

bosd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:00 PM

Who's generally happy about getting fired?  No one.

well sometimes, things do have a way of working out, lol.  just not immediately.  He does have a SB ring now.

Kaneh-Bosm

#32 bosd

bosd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:02 PM

Wade still doesn't comprehend the raw deal that he got. He thinks the problem was Garrett getting paid more than him, and then getting dumped midseason. "The OC shouldn't be paid more than the HC." Ha! You were HC in name only. Just warming the chair for the HC in Waiting.

Wade was the Regent Who Thought He Was King. And then learned otherwise when the Princeling got old enough to assume rule.

<Insert gif of hangdog expression>

I think he knew all along, but felt was disrespected.  I mean how many teams have an autonomous OC.

• buybuydandavis likes this

Kaneh-Bosm

#33 .G2.

.G2.

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 20,541 posts
  • LocationPJG Investigation Unit

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:06 PM

Wade sucked as a HC and the team quit on him, why the hell would we NOT want JG to replace him?

The experience theory doesn't make sense to me. So what if JG didn't have a ton of experience. Hell, maybe he even learned the hard way over the years. But had he not been hired, the team wouldn't be where it is. He rebuilt the culture, the coaching and we've been competitive. And now that we have McClay helping, we're getting talent. 

• bleedblue1111 and One ✭ Star like this

#34 bosd

bosd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:08 PM

Wade got the boot and JG got a free pass for 2015. That I don't get. We have very short memories and remember things to justify what we think. The truth is Wade was a very good DC and we called him a "cream puff" coach who ran "cream puff" training camps. Now his "cream puff" training camps are mandated by the league. We should also remember that Wade had to deal with one of the worst off field cancers in NFL history, TO. AND, he had to live through one of the worst trades in Cowboy history in 2008 when we traded for Roy Williams 2 and sold the farm to get him. JG's tenure has been a cake walk compared to Wades. 

The irony is that if it wasn't for TO, Romo may not have set Cowboys records in 2007.

There was a line in the article that said, "run the ball."  Now how many times have we lamented that we don't run the ball enough and that at times, we lack situational awareness.  I think that play shows that JG was lacking in that dept and it was a recurring theme.

BTW - We still wonder why we don't run the ball when we should.

• sulu1701, One ✭ Star and TexasStadium33 like this

Kaneh-Bosm

#35 bosd

bosd

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:16 PM

IMO Wade got a raw deal here. Owens, Roy Williams 2, a terrible draft (one of the worst if not the worst in DC history) in 2009. His win % here as a HC is better that JG's as a HC AND he inherited JG as an OC. The decision by JG not to run the ball in the play mentioned in this article was one of MANY JG blunders as an OC. His last blunder, which he took the blame for, was a call to spike the ball with over a minute on the clock, timeouts remaining and playing for a tie in the last game of 2016. Truth, Phillips was a great DC, JG a very overage OC. Both average coaches

I'm totally thinking that JG rose to his level of greatness in 2014 and 2016. I think that's called reaching your level of incompetence. How long will it take JJ and SJ to realize that? I'm thinking not much longer because the loyalty thing seems to be dissipating and it's about frickin time!

I have always said that the "ST draft" set this team back by a few years.  Wade had to work with a bunch of draft picks that were for ST competition.  WHO THE HELL DOES THAT IN THE DRAFT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Compare the #1 & #2 picks in the 2010 draft for the Cowboys and it's a damn shame.  It's about the only time I wished Jerry was in control of the drafting.  I know he has had some bad picks, but he had never done a ST draft.  

WHO THE HELL DOES THAT IN THE DRAFT?!?!??!!?

edit:  the caps are not directed at you but rather a reflection of my overall disgust with the ST draft.

• One ✭ Star likes this

Kaneh-Bosm

#36 TexasStadium33

TexasStadium33

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:20 PM

I'd be disgruntled too if my last best chance to win as a head coach was wasted on a rookie OC that was clearly going to be gifted the HC job at the earliest convenience. This process grossly undermined Wade and the years he put into coaching. Garrett's probably still the least experienced [major] coach in the NFL, with tons less than some coordinators. 

Having to carry a rookie OC who's in good with the owner certainly didn't do Wade any favors. Every loss in 2010 could arguably be contributed to the offense, but Wade and only Wade was the only who paid for it. 

At least he was on a Super Bowl winning coaching staff recently. That's a claim Garrett will NEVER be able to make. 

• Grandpaw_G_Bundy and bosd like this

#37 TexasStadium33

TexasStadium33

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:28 PM

Good post! That brings back a lot of memories.

I remember the 2008 season finale vs the Eagles. 44-6 I believe it was.

Yeah, every other drive, the offense was leaving the ball on the field (seemingly). 

But, somehow this was the defense's fault. 

#38 TexasStadium33

TexasStadium33

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:33 PM

Lol. I'll take T.O. and his 'cancerous' 40 TD's, in an offense NOT designed to feature him (gee, I wonder who's doing was that). But that's neither here nor there, though if he was the 'problem' we should've won after he left. We didn't (oh, btw, the 2010 season happened when he was long gone from the roster....but 'Red J' was still here). 

I'll say it now until the cows come home. Garrett's a low mileage coach. The only way we're going to win with this guy is if we have the best 22 players (per position) in the league. 

• Grandpaw_G_Bundy likes this

#39 TexasStadium33

TexasStadium33

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:37 PM

When you start your fourth season 1-7, after going 13-3, 9-7 and 11-5 in your first three, you're gonna get fired.

Coach Cupcake lost the locker room with his country club discipline.

Wow. So, one season where things don't go right, but we keep Garrett when he goes 4-12 after a 12-4 season?

Makes perfect sense....only, NOT. 

• Howard C likes this

#40 CouchCoach

CouchCoach

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 28,110 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:41 PM

Lol. I'll take T.O. and his 'cancerous' 40 TD's, in an offense NOT designed to feature him (gee, I wonder who's doing was that). But that's neither here nor there, though if he was the 'problem' we should've won after he left. We didn't (oh, btw, the 2010 season happened when he was long gone from the roster....but 'Red J' was still here). 

I'll say it now until the cows come home. Garrett's a low mileage coach. The only way we're going to win with this guy is if we have the best 22 players (per position) in the league. 

I agree, this will have to be talent overcoming coaching but that will take time for Dak to get to the place Romo got.  I do not think Romo thought his coaching staffs were putting him and the team in their best position to be successful.  That's why he took over and why Booger announced he would be participating in the game plans on Tuesday's.  Romo, like Manning, was part OC.

How many times do we have to hear from the opposing D players that the O was easy to figure out?  I'd never heard any D players speak out about that before.

• Grandpaw_G_Bundy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users