#41 TexasStadium33

TexasStadium33

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:46 PM

How many times do we have to hear from the opposing D players that the O was easy to figure out?  I'd never heard any D players speak out about that before.

I'm not in the huddle or planning room, but I'd be inclined to think that offensive schemes would have some dummy calls in play to see how the defense reacts to certain calls. I've heard mic'd up QB's before say to their teammates to ignore certain adjustments, just to see what the defense does in kind. I don't know if Dallas ever did this or not. 

As far as Prescott goes, I'm a little worried that we're going to have to suffer through a couple of years of 'disappointing' results, while he learns how to adjust to teams adjusting to him. 

• bosd likes this

#42 LocalCowboyDiehard

LocalCowboyDiehard

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:47 PM

The smarter decision would have been to name Norv Turner HC/ OC and Wade DC. We could have brought Garrett in as QB coach and let him mentor under Norv.

But Jerry wouldnt have let Norv be the coach he would have wanted. Wade was the puppet Jerry prefers. Which all falls back again on how Jerry runs this franchise and how we end up in the situations we do.

And why this current situation with Garrett and staff is probably about as good as we can hope for under Jerry barring a total collapse to bring about wholesale changes again.
  • bosd likes this
<p>It's easy to make labels and attach them to people, labels that are derogatory, to lessen the impact of their voice.

#43 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 43,704 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:49 PM

Man if we would have kept parcells and phillips as DC this team would've have won a super bowl. Even when he was OC he still didn't have a handle on the game. Can't wait for Garrett to be blown out.

Texans fans disagree w/ you wholeheartedly.

Whenever faced w/ adversity, Wade curls up into a fetal position and gives up.     Funny how people have forgotten in the MINN playoff game, Favre made one play, and Wade stopped the pressure and tried to beat Favre w/ coverage.   Which of course did not work.

• .G2. and bleedblue1111 like this

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#44 CouchCoach

CouchCoach

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,110 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:07 PM

How many times do we have to hear from the opposing D players that the O was easy to figure out?  I'd never heard any D players speak out about that before.

I'm not in the huddle or planning room, but I'd be inclined to think that offensive schemes would have some dummy calls in play to see how the defense reacts to certain calls. I've heard mic'd up QB's before say to their teammates to ignore certain adjustments, just to see what the defense does in kind. I don't know if Dallas ever did this or not. 

As far as Prescott goes, I'm a little worried that we're going to have to suffer through a couple of years of 'disappointing' results, while he learns how to adjust to teams adjusting to him. 

I think that OL and run game, his two best friends, will help him out with that learning curve.  If he gets a good D, I think he can be a very good field general.  The way he takes advantage of situations, that he had no hand in, is uncanny.  HS, college and now the NFL and he doesn't even blink in the headlights.

Dak is a most unusual young man and it is almost as if fate is choosing his path for him.  It is as if he were meant to be exactly where he is now.  And what does he do when the off season arrives?  Goes off to work on his game to get better.  Yeah, this is not your usual young NFL QB.

• kskboys, bosd and Mad_Max like this

#45 LocalCowboyDiehard

LocalCowboyDiehard

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:12 PM

I think that OL and run game, his two best friends, will help him out with that learning curve. If he gets a good D, I think he can be a very good field general. The way he takes advantage of situations, that he had no hand in, is uncanny. HS, college and now the NFL and he doesn't even blink in the headlights.

Dak is a most unusual young man and it is almost as if fate is choosing his path for him. It is as if he were meant to be exactly where he is now. And what does he do when the off season arrives? Goes off to work on his game to get better. Yeah, this is not your usual young NFL QB.

Chill Bumps...

I want to believe that Dak is going to save our franchise in every way we can be saved.

If you can't get excited about what we're seeing Cowboy Nation you need your pulse checked. This is much more than the excitement we felt about 10 years ago.

I got fired up just watching Dak root on the Miss St Women's basketball team in Dallas.

Dak is infectious and a real talent . He has it!!!
  • kskboys, Mad_Max and bleedblue1111 like this
<p>It's easy to make labels and attach them to people, labels that are derogatory, to lessen the impact of their voice.

#46 Big_D

Big_D

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,088 posts
  • LocationLodi, New Jersey

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:16 PM

Would've been nice if Jerry knew how to draft during his tenure. Someone obviously is doing something different these days. Cause that helps tremendously. But Jerry didn't help matters 10 years ago. I don't blame Phillips for being irate for being a scapegoat considering the circumstances at the time. Plus those coaching choices were poor decisions to begin with!!

1482809267603.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

#47 CouchCoach

CouchCoach

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 28,110 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:19 PM

Chill Bumps...

I want to believe that Dak is going to save our franchise in every way we can be saved.

If you can't get excited about what we're seeing Cowboy Nation you need your pulse checked. This is much more than the excitement we felt about 10 years ago.

I got fired up just watching Dak root on the Miss St Women's basketball team in Dallas.

Dak is infectious and a real talent . He has it!!!

And on top of this he's a really good guy.  His Mom did a hell of a job with him.  And he wanted to be a Cowboy.  Dayam, I feel a Lifetime movie coming on, fetch my Kleenex.

And while we're thinking about our lucky stars, think of who we could have had if that second attempt to trade up had happened.  The ahole of the draft, Cook.

And I look at this stroke of luck as not only that because they were trying to get a QB, they had tried twice and failed.  Wilson had campaigned for him so it wasn't just a stab in the dark.  I look at the luck as the failed trades, not getting Dak.

• bleedblue1111 likes this

#48 CouchCoach

CouchCoach

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 28,110 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:28 PM

Would've been nice if Jerry knew how to draft during his tenure. Someone obviously is doing something different these days. Cause that helps tremendously. But Jerry didn't help matters 10 years ago. I don't blame Phillips for being irate for being a scapegoat considering the circumstances at the time. Plus those coaching choices were poor decisions at the time to begin with!!

And Booger doesn't love his coaches as much as his players.  I recall how much he said he liked and respected Wade and had Son fire him and goes off to Vegas to pose with some honey.  I guess that was to heal the wounds?

I've never thought Booger held coaches in high regard but Garrett is like another son but with a different woman, a redhead he met on a previous trip to Vegas?

Garrett is going to have the F up royally to get canned.  He's the reining CotY and that in itself amazes me.  But the funny part of this is I have not seen one poster here not in the Garrett camp join it because of that.

Biggie, look on the bright side.  One playoff win, and that one could have gone either way, but the Cowboys have had an Executive of the Year, Coach of the Year and HOF GM just in the last 3 years.  Imagine what will happen if they actually do something.  Booger may be promoted to God and they'll take the Red off Jesus.

#49 Geno T

Geno T

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts
  • LocationAustin TX, Branson MO, Cape Cod MA, SoCal, Belgium, various points beyond

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:35 PM

I'd be disgruntled too if my last best chance to win as a head coach was wasted on a rookie OC that was clearly going to be gifted the HC job at the earliest convenience. This process grossly undermined Wade and the years he put into coaching. Garrett's probably still the least experienced [major] coach in the NFL, with tons less than some coordinators. 

Having to carry a rookie OC who's in good with the owner certainly didn't do Wade any favors. Every loss in 2010 could arguably be contributed to the offense, but Wade and only Wade was the only who paid for it. 

At least he was on a Super Bowl winning coaching staff recently. That's a claim Garrett will NEVER be able to make. 

That "rookie OC" oversaw the offense of a 13-3 team. 

Wade lost his job because he wasn't cut out to be a head coach, wouldn't (couldn't?) discipline his team and allowed the inmates to take over the asylum — which resulted in him losing his locker room AND his job.

"The only stat that matters is the final score." — Bobby Layne

#50 Big_D

Big_D

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,088 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:38 PM

That "rookie OC" oversaw the offense of a 13-3 team. 

Wade lost his job because he wasn't cut out to be a head coach, wouldn't (couldn't?) discipline his team and slowly allowed the inmates to take over the asylum — which resulted in him losing his locker room AND his job.

No other OC could've made Romo, T.O. and Witten work. Those guys would've sucked without JG. lol That offense was clicking before he even got here.

And Booger doesn't love his coaches as much as his players.  I recall how much he said he liked and respected Wade and had Son fire him and goes off to Vegas to pose with some honey.  I guess that was to heal the wounds?

I've never thought Booger held coaches in high regard but Garrett is like another son but with a different woman, a redhead he met on a previous trip to Vegas?

Garrett is going to have the F up royally to get canned.  He's the reining CotY and that in itself amazes me.  But the funny part of this is I have not seen one poster here not in the Garrett camp join it because of that.

Biggie, look on the bright side.  One playoff win, and that one could have gone either way, but the Cowboys have had an Executive of the Year, Coach of the Year and HOF GM just in the last 3 years.  Imagine what will happen if they actually do something.  Booger may be promoted to God and they'll take the Red off Jesus.

Just odd that everyone hates on Phillips then hails Garrett as some sort of savior. Yet here we are 10 years later waiting on the perfect roster.

• Grandpaw_G_Bundy and TexasStadium33 like this

#51 Haimerej

Haimerej

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,724 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:48 PM

***This is a link***

That's the excerpt of Wade's book.

#52 OldSchoolBum

OldSchoolBum

Professional Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:55 PM

Texans fans disagree w/ you wholeheartedly.

Whenever faced w/ adversity, Wade curls up into a fetal position and gives up.     Funny how people have forgotten in the MINN playoff game, Favre made one play, and Wade stopped the pressure and tried to beat Favre w/ coverage.   Which of course did not work.

What are you talking about. 2009 Parcells was no longer the HC. Romo made him quit after he couldn't hold on to a football in 2006. If Parcells stayed the HC with Wade as the DC we would at least have gotten to a Conference Championship game.

#53 Big_D

Big_D

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,088 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:00 PM

What are you talking about. 2009 Parcells was no longer the HC. Romo made him quit after he couldn't hold on to a football in 2006. If Parcells stayed the HC with Wade as the DC we would at least have gotten to a Conference Championship game.

Not to mention the offense in that game was a big steamy pile of poo. Garretts use of the RBs was pure garbage. I still remember that sweep to Barber for a huge loss. The MIN D is spending all afternoon in the backfield and then you call that. Coaching without a doubt... sucked.

• kskboys, Grandpaw_G_Bundy and Mad_Max like this

#54 signalcaller

signalcaller

Draftee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:04 PM

I'd be upset too but at the end of the day that red head bandit got rid of him and Romo. lol

[/URL]">http://smaller_zpsimg4z05w.jpg

#55 Geno T

Geno T

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts
  • LocationAustin TX, Branson MO, Cape Cod MA, SoCal, Belgium, various points beyond

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:05 PM

Wow. So, one season where things don't go right, but we keep Garrett when he goes 4-12 after a 12-4 season?

Makes perfect sense....only, NOT. 

Anyone who knows football realizes that Garrett's 4-12 was the result of losing Romo for most of the season and trying to win with NFL driftwood, such as Weedon and Cassell, and a previously untested rookie (Moore).

But when you have an agenda, I suppose common sense and reality go out the window.

"The only stat that matters is the final score." — Bobby Layne

#56 Mad_Max

Mad_Max

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,467 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:08 PM

My take is that Wade was weak. That all special teams draft. Who's idea was that? They should have been kicked in their man parts for doing that. 

• kskboys, bleedblue1111 and Geno T like this

Don't know if I want to be a member of a forum, that would have me as a member

#57 foofighters

foofighters

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:09 PM

Man if we would have kept parcells and phillips as DC this team would've have won a super bowl. Even when he was OC he still didn't have a handle on the game. Can't wait for Garrett to be blown out.

No we wouldn't have.  The game went by parcells and he doesn't understand how to coach players today.  "The Player" title to TO showed his lack of respect for any player no matter how annoying that athlete may truly be. 

• One ✭ Star and TexasStadium33 like this

#58 .G2.

.G2.

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 20,541 posts
  • LocationPJG Investigation Unit

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:20 PM

The irony is that if it wasn't for TO, Romo may not have set Cowboys records in 2007.

There was a line in the article that said, "run the ball."  Now how many times have we lamented that we don't run the ball enough and that at times, we lack situational awareness.  I think that play shows that JG was lacking in that dept and it was a recurring theme.

BTW - We still wonder why we don't run the ball when we should.

Maybe this is true, but I find that it's only when the play is unsuccessful. I wonder how many plays fans thought we should do the opposite but it was successful. 

#59 LocalCowboyDiehard

LocalCowboyDiehard

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:21 PM

My take is that Wade was weak. That all special teams draft. Who's idea was that? They should have been kicked in their man parts for doing that.

I thought the HBO documentary Hard Knocks best illustrated Jerry's involvement . It was on while Wade was acting as the HC.

#60 heathgs

heathgs

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 28,068 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:24 PM

Maybe this is true, but I find that it's only when the play is unsuccessful. I wonder how many plays fans thought we should do the opposite but it was successful. 

This is true and I try not to be one of those fans. I still believe the call to go for it on 4th down on the first possession of overtime while in FG range against Philadelphia was the wrong call even though we ultimately scored a TD and won the game.  I believe not running the ball in the red zone against GB was the wrong strategy even though Dak threw 2 red zone TD passes. 

But few fans will complain about success.  I got off Garrett's bandwagon in a game we won because we continue to save time for our opponents at the end of halves to give them an opportunity to score when they shouldn't have one.  But it was just chalked up to whining. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users