7 replies to this topic

#1 dscott52

dscott52

Amateur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:25 PM

Seems to be a strategy with some NFL teams of loading up on signing veterans to one year contracts in order to accrue the maximum of compensatory picks the following year after the player hits free agency. Of course the player will have to sign with another team.  I see teams doing this during the years when they do not risk losing compensatory picks thru the complicated formula of awarding picks. This could be considered an unfair advantage.

• betterinpinkorblue likes this

#2 THE OZ OF COWBOY COUNTRY

THE OZ OF COWBOY COUNTRY

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationBeaumont Texas

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:12 PM

If everybody's doing it then it's not unfair.

#3 cowboyJohn

cowboyJohn

Prospect

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:17 PM

The other angle is that if they are loading up on these guys, their overall roster is not strong, thereby mitigating any advantage they may be getting. I doubt a team could exploit this to build a Superbowl team as the number and quality of compensatory picks is limited and human determined (e.g. allows them to prevent abuse from year to year).

• bluedocd likes this

#4 Five Superbowls

Five Superbowls

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:55 PM

The comp picks IMO are directly related to salary cap implications.
  • betterinpinkorblue likes this

#5 betterinpinkorblue

betterinpinkorblue

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario Canada

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:32 PM

We'll have some comp picks in draft 2018. I'm not complaining. I don't believe we let Leary, Carr, Mo, Wilcox and Church go as a strategy to get comp picks. It was directly related to salary cap and teams willingness to overpay for players like that. Denver got a nice player in Leary. The other teams will see the same holes as we saw and they totally overpaid for the holes 

Dakology.... the study of QBs present

#6 jayhartRIC

jayhartRIC

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:57 PM

Comp picks incentives spending frugally in free agency.  It's one of the reasons I like the Cowboys strategy of signing their own players and not focusing on free agency.  Over time it'll maximize the chances of more comp picks.  The best way to deal with the salary cap is too have as many players on rookie deals outperforming their contracts so you can spend more money elsewhere.

#7 jmunzz1116

jmunzz1116

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:46 AM

Comp picks incentives spending frugally in free agency.  It's one of the reasons I like the Cowboys strategy of signing their own players and not focusing on free agency.  Over time it'll maximize the chances of more comp picks.  The best way to deal with the salary cap is too have as many players on rookie deals outperforming their contracts so you can spend more money elsewhere.

Exactly...now let's see if the Cowboys can continue to have stellar drafts and keep this team dominating for as long as possible.

#8 ironman366

ironman366

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:40 PM

It is part of the buy low sell high equasion.   Pickup a cheap free agent this year and let him outperform his contract so next year a team will pay much more for his services.  Look at Cooper, former high draft pick and we pick him up for nothing last year after being cut, then re signed to a cheap 1 year deal this year and if he starts at left guard he could roll that into a multi million multi year deal with another team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users