#21 SimplyTheBest

SimplyTheBest

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:35 AM

my unpopular opinion... best team ever ... '71 Cowboys ... the last team to beat the Dolphins before their '72 run

the only HC to ever win 6 scoring titles delivered the best defensive performance in SB history, Landry's Doom's Day defense allowed a SB record 3 points, ( only 10 first downs, and 2 of 9 on 3rd down)

9 HOF players, Bob Hayes, Bob Lilly, Mel Renfro, Roger Staubach, Rayfield Wright, Herb Adderley, Forest Gregg, Lance Alworth, and Mike Ditka. And no one can explain why Cornel Green, Chuck Howley, and Lee Roy Jordan aren't in the HOF

BTW, for youngers who don't know it, that's 3 of the best CBs to ever play in Adderley, Renfro, and Green.

-Adderley has a strong claim to being the best big game shut down LCB ever. 

-Renfro played 10 years, made 10 pro bowls, with 52 INTs and would have made the HOF as a return man.

-Green at 6'3" 210 made all pro at LC, RC, and SS, is one of the hardest hitting DBs ever, and massed 34 INTs in his career.

-Add Cliff Harris and Charlie Waters as an intimidating FSs and you have awesome secondary

Plus Jordan a 6x pro bowler and Howley a 5 x pro bowler and SB V MVP ruled the middle.

Lily belongs on anyone's all time NFL ever team at DT, Big Tex is arguably the best defensive player in NFL history.

With *2 of the games all time deep WRs in Hayes and Alworth outside*, with Ditka, Garrison, Thomas, and Hill as dump offs Staubach won every game he started, 13-0, led the NFL in passing with a QBR of 104, (8.9 YPA, 18 TDs / 4TDs), 40 points higher than the league average in a running era. Rushed for 300+ and 2 TDs. Destroyed the NFL's best defenses in the playoffs. One of the finest QB performances ever. And by far the best season of any first year starting QB as NFL and SB MVP

Also note this team pounded the '71 Dolphins' D with Jake Scott, Dick Anderson, Nick Buoniconti, Bill Stanfill, and Manny Fernandez on the field to the tune of 15 rushing 1st downs and 252 yards on the ground in SB VI. While holding Kiick and Csonka to 80 yards and just 3 rushing 1st downs. Dolphin WRs had 5 catches on 12 targets for 59 yards.

Cowboys Win Their First Super Bowl! | Cowboys vs. Dolphins Super Bowl VI | NFL Full Game

Landry never gave Shula a chance to get in the game. The Dolphins were manhandled on O and D.

• Needmorerings likes this

#22 NateDizzle

NateDizzle

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • LocationChillin at the EBDBBnB

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:08 AM

Gasp!

You'll wake up tomorrow with a horse head in your bed...

Also, another unpopular opinion:
Stephen King is a terrible author.

I think he has loads of great story ideas. I think in terms of creative ability, he's pretty far up the list of modern authors. I think his execution of those ideas is just terrible. I read 75% of the Dark Tower series and then just hated it so much that I couldn't go on, but I had to know how it ended, and so I googled it. I'm so glad I didn't invest the time to finish abd come to that ending. Just thinking about this series makes me angry because it was such a time investment and such a letdown.

Stranger Things is a great show because it's based off of King's creative ideas but written by people that know what the heck they're doing.

I kind of agree. I have enjoyed a few of his books like The Shining, Cujo, Salems Lot and IT. Dark Tower I couldn't get into at all. I will say this though, every movie made based on his books was SO MUCH worse than the books.

#23 NateDizzle

NateDizzle

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:14 AM

With you...and may I add Reservoir Dogs as well.

Never seen it. Only bits and pieces.

#24 NateDizzle

NateDizzle

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:17 AM

I remember when the neighbors would catch us kids acting up in the neighborhood. They would spank us then bring us home to get another spanking. So my unpopular opinion is bring back the good old days. It takes a village to raise a child.

Guess it depends on how close you are with the neighbors and the severity of the "acting up." I like a few of mine but if they ever put their hands on my daughter I'd need bail money.

#25 LocalCowboyDiehard

LocalCowboyDiehard

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:22 PM

I've never seen it. I refuse to watch it, simply on the grounds that they made a love story out of one of the worst tragedies in history...........and the fact that I don't care for DiCaprio.........and despise Celine Dion. If I were to watch the movie, I'm sure I could name many more things that I hate about it. lol

Queen was incredible, and Freddie Mercury was the greatest front man to ever take the stage, IMO....but I do understand the point that Bohemian Rhapsody is overplayed.

I'm not disputing Queens or Freddie's talent just not my cup of tea. As a matter of fact we walked out on them in concert in the 70's after a couple of songs . We went to see the backup band anyway.

Leo is one of our favorite actors and love his efforts publicly with the planet. I have no feelings towards Celine and don't know much of her work but respect her talent. The relation of that film to the true story made it more interesting we thought . Rarely do you get an action thriller and romantic based on a historical occurrence. But I do understand we all have different taste. I think the awards and success surrounding that film speak for itself much like the success of Queen speaks for itself.
<p>It's easy to make labels and attach them to people, labels that are derogatory, to lessen the impact of their voice.

#26 cwbyfan88

cwbyfan88

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,075 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:44 PM

Not a fan of Queen but 007 is one of my favorites. Seen everyone at the theatre beginning in the 60's. Although Roger Moore was my least favorite Bond.

Roger Moore is a stud!! Daniel Craig is my least favorite bond

#27 Runwildboys

Runwildboys

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,093 posts
  • LocationPJG - East Coast Chapter

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:52 PM

Gasp!

You'll wake up tomorrow with a horse head in your bed...

Also, another unpopular opinion:
Stephen King is a terrible author.

I think he has loads of great story ideas. I think in terms of creative ability, he's pretty far up the list of modern authors. I think his execution of those ideas is just terrible. I read 75% of the Dark Tower series and then just hated it so much that I couldn't go on, but I had to know how it ended, and so I googled it. I'm so glad I didn't invest the time to finish abd come to that ending. Just thinking about this series makes me angry because it was such a time investment and such a letdown.

Stranger Things is a great show because it's based off of King's creative ideas but written by people that know what the heck they're doing.

The Shining was an amazing film, though I never read the book. The Stand was a very good book, but the miniseries they made of it was terrible.

wOZF2v4.jpg

#28 Runwildboys

Runwildboys

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 28,093 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:06 PM

I'm not disputing Queens or Freddie's talent just not my cup of tea. As a matter of fact we walked out on them in concert in the 70's after a couple of songs . We went to see the backup band anyway.

Leo is one of our favorite actors and love his efforts publicly with the planet. I have no feelings towards Celine and don't know much of her work but respect her talent. The relation of that film to the true story made it more interesting we thought . Rarely do you get an action thriller and romantic based on a historical occurrence. But I do understand we all have different taste. I think the awards and success surrounding that film speak for itself much like the success of Queen speaks for itself.

Awards and success often have little to do with actual quality....Exhibits 1 - 6: Britney Spears, New Kids on the Block, Rap in general, James Bond, pretty much anything Blueberryicedcoffee likes, and the series Lost.

As far as awards and accolades go, Jethro Tull once won Best Heavy Metal Album over Metallica.  As much as I do love Jethro Tull, they are so far away from being heavy metal, I can only guess the Grammy voters were just pissed off at Metallica.

• emmittstaubach and Howard C like this

wOZF2v4.jpg

#29 LocalCowboyDiehard

LocalCowboyDiehard

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:21 PM

Awards and success often have little to do with actual quality....Exhibits 1 - 6: Britney Spears, New Kids on the Block, Rap in general, James Bond, pretty much anything Blueberryicedcoffee likes, and the series Lost.

As far as awards and accolades go, Jethro Tull once won Best Heavy Metal Album over Metallica. As much as I do love Jethro Tull, they are so far away from being heavy metal, I can only guess the Grammy voters were just pissed off at Metallica.

Awards and accolades may not define our personal taste but usually define best in a category at least by those with the power to decide.

But I do agree Tull is Classic Rock not Heavy Metal. Surprised they were even in that category? Makes no sense. Maybe the Grammys doesn't differentiate between Classic Rock and Heavy Metal? I don't watch the Grammys that much to know.
<p>It's easy to make labels and attach them to people, labels that are derogatory, to lessen the impact of their voice.

#30 Runwildboys

Runwildboys

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 28,093 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:35 PM

Awards and accolades may not define our personal taste but usually define best in a category at least by those with the power to decide.

But I do agree Tull is Classic Rock not Heavy Metal. Surprised they were even in that category? Makes no sense. Maybe the Grammys doesn't differentiate between Classic Rock and Heavy Metal? I don't watch the Grammys that much to know.

No, they definitely differentiate between the two, otherwise Heavy Metal wouldn't even be a category. lol

I'd say you're right, that Awards and accolades usually do a fairly good job at determining the best in a given category, but what's technically the best doesn't always reflect what's most popular. I'm sure I don't need to cite examples, but..........well, I already did that. :D 

I realize and agree that Beethoven's 5th is one of the greatest musical compositions ever written, but I'd much rather listen to any Led Zeppelin song.

wOZF2v4.jpg

#31 THE OZ OF COWBOY COUNTRY

THE OZ OF COWBOY COUNTRY

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,248 posts
  • LocationBeaumont Texas

Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:00 PM

suggestion.... stop listening to it if you don't like it

Now that's an unpopular opinion.lol

#32 LocalCowboyDiehard

LocalCowboyDiehard

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:09 PM

No, they definitely differentiate between the two, otherwise Heavy Metal wouldn't even be a category. lol

I'd say you're right, that Awards and accolades usually do a fairly good job at determining the best in a given category, but what's technically the best doesn't always reflect what's most popular. I'm sure I don't need to cite examples, but..........well, I already did that. :D
I realize and agree that Beethoven's 5th is one of the greatest musical compositions ever written, but I'd much rather listen to any Led Zeppelin song.

I'm with ya on Zeppelin.

Back to the Tull dilemma .

Ok I just looked it up for 2017. There no longer is a " heavy metal" category. Pop, rock, alternative , R &B. I noticed a Metallica nomination was under Rock. But so was Beyonce. I'm guessing if Tull was nominated today it would be under Rock. I wonder what all the categories were back then?

#33 DasSchnitzel

DasSchnitzel

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill, North Carolina

Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:14 PM

suggestion.... stop listening to it if you don't like it

I don't think you understood the point of the thread.

Also, one does not simply stop listening to the most overplayed, over sung, over karaoked song of all time

#34 emmittstaubach

emmittstaubach

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 25,231 posts
  • LocationWilliamsport, Pa

Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:21 PM

I'm a Kiss fan, and I understand that "Rock and Roll All Night" is a legendary anthem and all that, but that song is BURNT TOAST! Additionally, they have tons of great songs, but the masses only know them for their hits, most of which are over simplistic, cheesey CRAPPY tunes. They can take Lick It Up, Crazy Nights, I Was Made For Lovin' You, Christine 16, Shandi, Heaven's On Fire, Let's Put The X In Sex and Easy As It Seems, and toss 'em all on a big bonfire. I could put together 25-30 of their lesser known songs together and make a GREAT rock album, but of course they'll never do that. They'll keep rehashing the same cliched, paint by numbers hit collections.

I DON'T CLAIM TO BE ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY, BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE DELUSIONAL! :lol:

3 Important things to remember:

1)Overall, we are only speculators

2))Laughter and bacon feed the soul

3)It's only a game

#35 heathgs

heathgs

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 28,068 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:30 PM

The Beatles suck.
  • cowboyfan927, MistyAnn, cowboyJohn and 1 other like this

#36 LocalCowboyDiehard

LocalCowboyDiehard

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:47 PM

The Beatles suck.

Now that's just an intent to stir it up. Ha

#37 emmittstaubach

emmittstaubach

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 25,231 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 03:51 PM

So, I'm sitting in a coffee shop working on some projects. This coffee shop plays classic rock non-stop. Not just the same overplayed stuff you hear on the radio, but a pretty good sampling of songs off the albums too.

Then, low and behold, here we go again. "Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?" Soon everyone is singing along, some under their breath, some louder. Bohemian Rhapsody strikes again.

I hate that song.

I liked it when I was younger, sure. But, after so many years of hearing it every other time I turn the radio to the classic rock station, so many years of everyone feeling the need to sing along at the top of their lungs. You'd think the song naturally increases the blood alcohol content of everyone in listening range, because when this song hits the air waves, it's drunk karaoke night.

What's your unpopular opinion?

Play nice, let's not dive into religion/politics/etc. Some people won't understand that if you're posting your opinion here, then you are acknowledging it is unpopular, meaning that there's no point in arguing about it.

I get it. Burnt toast. Gimme:

I'm In Love With My Car
Get Down Make Love
Sheer Heart Attack
Fight From The Inside
Death On Two Legs
Spread Your Wings
'39
Dragon Attack
Seven Seas of Rye
Bicycle Race

Where's Don? He would LOVE this thread!

I DON'T CLAIM TO BE ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY, BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE DELUSIONAL! :lol:

3)It's only a game

#38 NateDizzle

NateDizzle

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:12 PM

The Beatles suck.

I concur.
  • heathgs likes this

#39 heathgs

heathgs

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 28,068 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:06 PM

. Nope. Can't stand to listen to them and wonder how hey are held in such high regard. I think they are slightly less annoying than nails on a chalkboard.

#40 emmittstaubach

emmittstaubach

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • 25,231 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:42 PM

scara moosh scara moosh can you do the fandango!! Thunder bolt and lightening very very frightening. Shall I continue :D. And no one has Freddy's voice or plays like Brian May... sorry

Brian May has a PHD in Astrophysics, builds his own guitars, and sometimes uses a quarter as a pick to get a different tone.

3)It's only a game

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users