#1 Beefmaster

Beefmaster

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,743 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 07 June 2017 - 10:53 PM

Been a good coach wish he could of gotten some more National Championships but he sure did stockpile the Big12 titles. Going to miss him on the sidelines.
  • thestar4ever likes this
Nobody owes you anything life is what you make of it.

#2 LocalCowboyDiehard

LocalCowboyDiehard

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,065 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 June 2017 - 11:57 AM

This was shocking to me at first thinking there must be a scandal brewing. But after reading this morning he has Heart Disease which his father died of a heart attack at age 54 while coaching in high school it makes perfect sense why he's giving it up so young at age 56 even though he didn't site health as a reason . He is staying on as a special asst to the AD at OU.

The Big 12 will miss him. He had the class program of the conference and kept the conference in the national championship discussion.
  • Beefmaster likes this
<p>It's easy to make labels and attach them to people, labels that are derogatory, to lessen the impact of their voice.

#3 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,883 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:45 PM

I like how he teed it up for his chosen successor.  Leaving it until this time of year to resign left OU with no alternative but to go in-house for a replacement........plus,  the recruits are now enrolled.  Too late to transfer.

#4 LocalCowboyDiehard

LocalCowboyDiehard

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,065 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:12 PM

I like how he teed it up for his chosen successor. Leaving it until this time of year to resign left OU with no alternative but to go in-house for a replacement........plus, the recruits are now enrolled. Too late to transfer.

That can be the only reason he chose to wait this long unless his health is more of a factor than his family history wound indicate.
<p>It's easy to make labels and attach them to people, labels that are derogatory, to lessen the impact of their voice.

#5 LocalCowboyDiehard

LocalCowboyDiehard

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,065 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:17 PM

With Stoops departure the pressure is on someone to step up. If OU slips then the Big 12 loses their credibility nationally.

Texas and OU with for the 1st time in my lifetime I can recall both having new coaches . The Red River Rivalry must continue to deliver a national power like it did the previous decade with the teams playing in 6 of the Nat'l Championships.

They are the only two teams in conference with National prominence. Their failure will doom the conference .

#6 jordanjssr

jordanjssr

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:09 PM

With Stoops departure the pressure is on someone to step up. If OU slips then the Big 12 loses their credibility nationally.

Texas and OU with for the 1st time in my lifetime I can recall both having new coaches . The Red River Rivalry must continue to deliver a national power like it did the previous decade with the teams playing in 6 of the Nat'l Championships.

They are the only two teams in conference with National prominence. Their failure will doom the conference .

The big 12 credibility has been gone. Not sure it could have been stopped, but they should not have let Texas A&M leave. The SEC getting their footprint into Texas has been catastrophic for the talent level in the big 12. Less than 20 players invited to pro combine out of big 12. Short of a puncher's chance, the big 12 will not factor in the national championship moving forward.

As for Stoops personally, his dad died coaching in his 50s. Combine that with the Mixon situation of last year, and eventually you start asking yourself questions of why am I doing this anymore. He doesn't need money, and he can walk away as top 5 at his profession. Don't blame him one bit.

Football was killed by the shield.

#7 LocalCowboyDiehard

LocalCowboyDiehard

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,065 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:40 PM

The big 12 credibility has been gone. Not sure it could have been stopped, but they should not have let Texas A&M leave. The SEC getting their footprint into Texas has been catastrophic for the talent level in the big 12. Less than 20 players invited to pro combine out of big 12. Short of a puncher's chance, the big 12 will not factor in the national championship moving forward.

As for Stoops personally, his dad died coaching in his 50s. Combine that with the Mixon situation of last year, and eventually you start asking yourself questions of why am I doing this anymore. He doesn't need money, and he can walk away as top 5 at his profession. Don't blame him one bit.

Not totally gone but agree it's been greatly diminished beginning when Nebraska left. Like I said as long as Texas and or OU are relative nationally the conference can survive.

And Id much rather have TCU than A&M. At some point Big 12 will need to add more teams.

#8 jordanjssr

jordanjssr

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:37 PM

Not totally gone but agree it's been greatly diminished beginning when Nebraska left. Like I said as long as Texas and or OU are relative nationally the conference can survive.

And Id much rather have TCU than A&M. At some point Big 12 will need to add more teams.

Texas and Oklahoma will be leaving before conference USA upgrades. TCU and Oklahoma State had better not fall on their face in the next couple of years either. ESPN will try to wiggle out of that Longhorn network with the way they are losing money. ESPN is kind of married to the SEC, which may suggest a 4 division SEC with a west division that would be getting the big 12 band back together(A&M,Missouri,Oklahoma,LSU).

#9 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,883 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:54 PM

Texas and Oklahoma will be leaving before conference USA upgrades. TCU and Oklahoma State had better not fall on their face in the next couple of years either. ESPN will try to wiggle out of that Longhorn network with the way they are losing money. ESPN is kind of married to the SEC, which may suggest a 4 division SEC with a west division that would be getting the big 12 band back together(A&M,Missouri,Oklahoma,LSU).

I think A&M would want no part of admitting Texas.  Clemson isn't in the SEC b/c South Carolina blocks the move.  FSU and Miami didn't get invites b/c of Florida.    Its all about protecting recruiting territory.   SEC football is a big selling point for these schools and often gives them a recruiting edge.  I don't see that changing. 

• jordanjssr likes this

#10 jordanjssr

jordanjssr

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:54 PM

I think A&M would want no part of admitting Texas.  Clemson isn't in the SEC b/c South Carolina blocks the move.  FSU and Miami didn't get invites b/c of Florida.    Its all about protecting recruiting territory.   SEC football is a big selling point for these schools and often gives them a recruiting edge.  I don't see that changing. 

Notice I did not put Texas in there. Oklahoma would be welcomed by A&M to hurt Texas a little more(cancel Red River Rivalry). That hate they got is real lol. That doesn't mean Texas will rot, but there is no way they go to SEC.

I think the other shoe is West Virginia for the East. I don't think the ACC-SEC want to be in each other's way.

I derive that a little from Jay Jacobs(Auburn AD) letting loose they want to be in SEC East. You just don't come out of nowhere unless something has been talked about. Auburn goes on the record now to get their way when it happens. I wouldn't be surprised if current players in the SEC end up in the "new" league. Only a matter of time until a few big 12 schools understand what kind of money bump they get from SEC.

Of course Oklahoma could always go Pac12 with Okla State.

• atlantacowboy likes this

#11 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,883 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:32 AM

If the BIG 12 breaks up,  I see OU and Texas going to the Pac 12.  But,  thats still a strong,  financially viable league.  OU, Texas, OSU,  WVU,  Baylor,  TCU.............Kansas basketball.   There are still enough big boys to keep that league afloat.   But if either Texas or OU leave,  the party is over.

Texas may be down,  but Tom Hermann is a hellava coach.    I see  him turning it around in 2 years...... great facilities,  ginormous fan base.  There is no  reason to think they can't get better in a hurry with the right coach.    Look no further than Kevin Sumlin's arrival at A&M to see how quickly a schools fortunes can change. 

If you look at the top 10 ranked HS football players in Tx,  its not just the SEC raiding the BiG 12 talent pool.   OSU and FSU are now skimming the cream off the top too.  Even the Pac 12 is getting some of the best players.   LSU and A&M are the only SEC schools really doing well in TX but thats always been the case.

Auburn should join the Big 12 and get their auto bid to a BCS bowl.

• jordanjssr likes this

#12 jordanjssr

jordanjssr

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:50 PM

If the BIG 12 breaks up,  I see OU and Texas going to the Pac 12.  But,  thats still a strong,  financially viable league.  OU, Texas, OSU,  WVU,  Baylor,  TCU.............Kansas basketball.   There are still enough big boys to keep that league afloat.   But if either Texas or OU leave,  the party is over.

Texas may be down,  but Tom Hermann is a hellava coach.    I see  him turning it around in 2 years...... great facilities,  ginormous fan base.  There is no  reason to think they can't get better in a hurry with the right coach.    Look no further than Kevin Sumlin's arrival at A&M to see how quickly a schools fortunes can change. 

If you look at the top 10 ranked HS football players in Tx,  its not just the SEC raiding the BiG 12 talent pool.   OSU and FSU are now skimming the cream off the top too.  Even the Pac 12 is getting some of the best players.   LSU and A&M are the only SEC schools really doing well in TX but thats always been the case.

Auburn should join the Big 12 and get their auto bid to a BCS bowl.

Big 12 is doomed unless Texas and the 7 dwarves continues.

Herrman has gotten a lot of credit for Zeke lighting Bama up in Sugar Bowl. Houston lost some games last year that they had no business of losing. Herrman looked to have coached them up for 3 games all year. Made it to where he could get a new contract. I am not saying he isn't going to be a great coach. What he did at Houston was done before(Sumlin).

#13 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,883 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:10 AM

Big 12 is doomed unless Texas and the 7 dwarves continues.

Herrman has gotten a lot of credit for Zeke lighting Bama up in Sugar Bowl. Houston lost some games last year that they had no business of losing. Herrman looked to have coached them up for 3 games all year. Made it to where he could get a new contract. I am not saying he isn't going to be a great coach. What he did at Houston was done before(Sumlin).

If Herman can recruit in Texas,  he'll be at UT a long time.   That job is about keeping the Texas kids home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users