#21 MikeThaxton89

MikeThaxton89

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationDalhart Texas

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:12 PM

How close to being a great defense were we last year ? Were we actually #1 in rushing defense ? And our secondary got so good at coverage they were covering receivers (aka Rodgers) forever. To me it seemed we were two (2) players short upfront, dominate players who could get pressure on the Qb. We went from having the #1 defense in the league rushing to a half rebuild. We had at least a top 5 which is good enough and better than what we are. I understand Carr being let go. And all the others too if they wanted to leave. But Claiborne who plays well ? Church may have been getting old but gosh he blasted people but Wilcox too ? Then two of the most productive and best D linemen we had who always produced, McClain and Jack Crawford. I may be wrong but looked at their salaries and JCRaw is making 1.25 mil and McClain is making 2.25, could we not match or pay them more for what they have done ? Why when you are so close to being really good on D would you allow this to happen ? With the money free'd up from Carr we went and payed another guy 10 mil who I do not believe can beat out the two we have. Maybe its because I saw Dez abuse him but I don't understand. Anyway, until the defensive line is made a priority, #1 priority again like the Oline was this is what keeps us from another title shot. Patchwork players, Coach Marinelli developing under rated guys. I may not be as smart as any of you making the decisions. But I am an old man and have seen what works. A dominate defensive line with a great rotation of talented players wins, period. The D Line greatness starts at DT and only Collins is showing the type Cowboy potential I have watched since 1967. Thornton is a great backup, TCraw is my favorite Cowboy but cannot get it done and is a backup. Paea only had one decent year and it was not great in 2014. Now because he is back with Marinelli he will be the double teamed monster we look for ? Was Irving cheating, yes and did it help his production ? It scares me to death, I hoped he was elite. DLaw is the only other and he is inconsistent. Love Tapper and the others. But you have to start with your strength on any great D that is upfront.     When you build a house that will last, you must have a firm foundation. If you want to build a truck that will be strong, it must have a strong frame/chassis. It has been over 20 years since my Boys dominated upfront on D. Last year we came close and tore it down and started over. 

So getting rid of players who wer not earning their paycheck  is tearing it down ? How about we wait and see after the suspended players get back instead of slashing our wrist

#22 jayhartRIC

jayhartRIC

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:04 AM

Upgraded from what? A mediocre/average Dline. My bad, a below average Dline. PAEA IS NOT an upgrade from McClain. I am not saying McClain was all that either. PAEA has not done anything since 2014 and even then he was average. Bottom line, we the fans are either optimistic at our D Line and are crushed the last 20 years. Or pessimistic and know how this same BS happens every year. Until the D LINE is made a PRIORITY, #1 priority, the rest of the team is fine, Until then we will not have a shot at another title. D's don't win titles, Defensive Lines win titles and the backend follows. Wherever you take the head the body follows. COLLINS is the only one who is championship, maybe DLaw. Crawford has let me down and is not a starter on a good defense

They drafted a defensive lineman round 1.  Seems like they prioritized it to me.  I'm not saying the defensive line is tops in the league now, but it is improved.  If some of these guys step up a level, that's great.  If not we will need to use another pick there.

#23 UK Matt

UK Matt

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:27 PM

I would have loved to have kept McClain but that deal he got is over valuation and thus we have to see what paea can do. I also think that we have good position flex with Crawford, Irving as well as Thorton playing in rotation at DT. One things for sure we cannot match the Giants at DL but I think that the scondary is a far bigger problem for us this year.

I think if you take defense and offense as 3 position groups each I'd rank it as :-

1.OL

2. Receivers

2. Offense backfield

4. LBs

5. DL

6. DBs

For me I'd rate each group out of 10 as:-

1. OL 9

2. Offense backfield 8

2. Receivers 8

4. LBs 7

5. DL 6

6. DBs 5

#24 LeedsCowboys

LeedsCowboys

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts
  • LocationLeeds, England

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:07 PM

. PAEA IS NOT an upgrade from McClain. I am not saying McClain was all that either. PAEA has not done anything since 2014 and even then he was average.

Paea is a 4-3 DT who plays the NT, the Bears shifted to a 3-4 which did not suit him, not did his stint in Washington playing in a 3-4 front

darryl-moose-johnston.jpg

#25 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 43,696 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:51 PM

I would have loved to have kept McClain but that deal he got is over valuation and thus we have to see what paea can do. I also think that we have good position flex with Crawford, Irving as well as Thorton playing in rotation at DT. One things for sure we cannot match the Giants at DL but I think that the scondary is a far bigger problem for us this year.

I think if you take defense and offense as 3 position groups each I'd rank it as :-

1.OL

2. Receivers

2. Offense backfield

4. LBs

5. DL

6. DBs

For me I'd rate each group out of 10 as:-

1. OL 9

2. Offense backfield 8

2. Receivers 8

4. LBs 7

5. DL 6

6. DBs 5

And then we have the wildcard in Brian Price.    Numbers game in GB, got cut before he could develop.   Unknown?   Absolutely, but an unknown w/ upside.    

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users