84 replies to this topic

#21 buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,467 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:50 PM

Yeah no matter that it possibly cost us the game In a season we could have won a ring. Makes you wonder if they are paid off sometimes. Crucial calls in crucial situations.

Keep in mind the Dez UnCatch was ruled a catch on the field, and overturned on replay where the standard to overturn is "indisputable visual evidence" - on the most disputed call in years. 

Doesn't pass a laugh test. With all the time in the world to get it right, the NFL completely botched the replay call on it's most basic terms, and couldn't admit it. Overturning the on the field ruling was a much bigger screwup than the underlying "UnCatch" call. 

• gamewatcher likes this

Dead cap money is *dead*. It's not resurrected by keeping a guy on the team and paying him a salary this year, it is only pushed off onto a future year, and now you've added this year's salary to his cumulative cap hit. 

#22 glimmerman70

glimmerman70

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,837 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:57 PM

Keep in mind the Dez UnCatch was ruled a catch on the field, and overturned on replay where the standard to overturn is "indisputable visual evidence" - on the most disputed call in years.

Doesn't pass a laugh test. With all the time in the world to get it right, the NFL completely botched the replay call on it's most basic terms, and couldn't admit it. Overturning the on the field ruling was a much bigger screwup than the underlying "UnCatch" call.

The ref was standing right there and called it correct. He saw the whole play..saw him.

Make the catch.
Change hands with the ball.
Make a football move.
And knee - body hit the ground after contacted by defender short of the goal line.

As soon as I saw the challenge flag come out and the packer coach talk to refs and grin I knew.

"Big Ben Sucks, says ES!"  ES is smart...

#23 heathgs

heathgs

Landry Hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,643 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:59 PM

Murray's fumble.
Bailey misses a fg. It was the point differential in the game. He was actually 1 of 3 for the playoffs in 2014.
4 sacks on Romo, Leary involved in each, each of them contributed to loss of possession on that series of downs.
Not counting the final drive where GB ran out the clock, the defense gave up TDs on the final 2 drives, and a fg on the drive prior to that.
We only stopped GB once in the second half, and only scored once in the second half.

Lots of blame to go around.

By the way, "choking" Tony had a 143.6 QB rating, *without* the UnCatch.

3 of those Romo sacks should have been incomplete passes. He needed to throw the ball away and save the negative play but took sacks instead.

Bailey was 1 for 3 officially but also missed the previous attempt in the GB game and got a redo, which was blocked because the ball was kicked too low. The defense didn't even get a push and was able to block it at the LOS.

Romo also fumbled the snap on the 3rd down play prior to the FG attempt that was missed. That caused a broken play and decease the chances of comverting and keeping the drive alive. We missed and the defense allowed a long pass before the half (after a sack) and GN kicked their own FG .

Game is frustrating to think about because just simple little things turned s game we were controlling into a loss.
  • buybuydandavis likes this

#24 buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,467 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:02 PM

We absolutely dominated that team in the first half. Plenty of blame. But murray had a great year and also had fumbles at the worst times it seemed. As if there is a good time to fumble.

Seems our Defense that year and last year has a track record of not bringing it all game long. This year we brought it in the second half and shut him down. 2014 we brought it in the first half. To me that's coaching playcalls. Never stop what working no matter what they change. Make them make you change. Had Marinelli brought a extra guy like he did all last half of that game last year, rogers don't make that play.

Murray had a great first half of the year in 2014. His ypc steadily declined as the year went on. Maybe if we don't run him into the ground with a zillion carries, he has a little extra juice to zip by Peppers and Peppers never lays a hand on the ball. 

I'm not as impressed as you are with the defensive play in the second half of the latest loss to GB, as GB had a lead and was probably playing more conservatively.

Ugh!. And the last play call was horrid. We rushed three, which gave Rodgers the edge on both sides, which is exactly what he wanted. Broaddus had just the previous week did a run down on how the Giants had most of the success they had by rushing 4 and pushing the DEs way upfield wide to force Rodgers to stay in the pocket.

And did we put that extra player we saved from the rush into coverage? No! It was Durant, and they had him spy on Rodgers to prevent a 35 yard scramble. We played 10 on 11. It was absurd.  

Dead cap money is *dead*. It's not resurrected by keeping a guy on the team and paying him a salary this year, it is only pushed off onto a future year, and now you've added this year's salary to his cumulative cap hit. 

#25 buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,467 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:16 PM

3 of those Romo sacks should have been incomplete passes. He needed to throw the ball away and save the negative play but took sacks instead.

Bailey was 1 for 3 officially but also missed the previous attempt in the GB game and got a redo, which was blocked because the ball was kicked too low. The defense didn't even get a push and was able to block it at the LOS.

Romo also fumbled the snap on the 3rd down play prior to the FG attempt that was missed. That caused a broken play and decease the chances of comverting and keeping the drive alive. We missed and the defense allowed a long pass before the half (after a sack) and GN kicked their own FG .

Game is frustrating to think about because just simple little things turned s game we were controlling into a loss.

That always was a thing with Tony - he very rarely threw a ball away. 

Interesting about Bailey getting a do over. I had forgotten about that entirely. He wasn't right come at the end of that year. 

Penalty was a false start on Ladouceur. So Mr. Perfect screwed up, while Bailey misses two in a row. What is the chance of that? 

Maybe that's the magic of Ladouceur - his only "screw up" was when Bailey missed anyway, and gave Bailey another shot at it. Somehow, he knew.

• heathgs and Techsass like this

#26 oldschoolfan64

oldschoolfan64

• Moderators
  • 11,860 posts
  • LocationTexas Panhandle

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:18 PM

This was three years ago, it's been hashed an re-hashed thousands of times. I'm moving this to "Classic Cowboys" as it has no bearing on the current roster, or the upcoming season.

Been a Dallas fan all my life...will remain a Dallas fan till I die.

#27 InTheZone

InTheZone

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,797 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:18 PM

Don't watch the end. It was a catch and they know it. Lions got screwed the week before. It was a hold. Refs made up for it.

If you're going to call a hold then call the pass interference/hold by Pettigrew before Hitchens made any contact.

And Pettigrew made no attempt to come back on that bad/lazily thrown ball, otherwise a flag would've came out.

• buybuydandavis likes this

#28 Beefmaster

Beefmaster

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,968 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:50 PM

We would have beaten the seahags. We have there number as long as wilson is there qb. It was gonna be our year. But you are right about leaving rogers time. That's why I said the murray fumble hurt us more.

How do you have Wilson's number when he is 2-1 vs the Cowboys he has a winning record lol. That was a different Seahawks that beat GB and went to the SB. I would not say with any certainty that the Cowboys would go back to Seattle and repeat what they did in the regular season.
Nobody owes you anything life is what you make of it.

#29 jsb357

jsb357

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,745 posts
  • LocationWaco, Texas USA

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:19 AM

once the ball broke the plane, the play is over.

• gamewatcher likes this

#30 buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,467 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:46 AM

This is why rules are hard. To do it right, you have to collect all the rules, and make sure you've covered which rule overrides which when they conflict. And I don't see the NFL doing this on a methodical basis in their rule book. 

I hate the "to the ground rule". Which by the Calvin Johnson play call was clearly *not* saying the play is over once you're in the end zone. Looks like a catch. Looks like a TD. But you have to wait until he comes to a complete stop to know. Kind of anti climactic. You don't know at the point of the catch, you don't when the end zone is crossed with the ball in control, you only know when he stops and doesn't drop the ball. The play is in not dropping the ball when you land. So lame. 

• gamewatcher likes this

#31 buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,467 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:51 AM

This was three years ago, it's been hashed an re-hashed thousands of times. I'm moving this to "Classic Cowboys" as it has no bearing on the current roster, or the upcoming season.

Three years ago is Classic. I wouldn't have thought so.

Too many bazillion threads in the offseason? Gotta put one of the few with any bit of action where no one looks?

So lame.

#32 jsb357

jsb357

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,745 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:50 AM

This is why rules are hard. To do it right, you have to collect all the rules, and make sure you've covered which rule overrides which when they conflict. 

On plays where no possession of the ball occurs in the regular field of play

(100 yard patch), there is no plane to break so...

the player must control the ball throughout.

#33 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 44,515 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:29 AM

We need a better D to win a super bowl, not more luck. 

• MarcusRock and thestar4ever like this

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#34 THE OZ OF COWBOY COUNTRY

THE OZ OF COWBOY COUNTRY

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,236 posts
  • LocationBeaumont Texas

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:44 AM

The Dez Bryant catch, no catch. The ball never touched the ground. When Dez hits the ground too much of the ball is sticking up for the ball to hit the ground. So He caught it, bobbled it, then caught it again. Touchdown.
  • gamewatcher, InTheZone and thestar4ever like this

#35 Rogers

Rogers

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 16,526 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:06 AM

That's not necessarily true - for that to apply possession would have to have been established prior to breaking the plane. Apparently the refs felt Beasley catching the ball facing one way and turning another way to dive to the end zone constituted the kind of "football move" needed to establish possession.

#36 oldschoolfan64

oldschoolfan64

• Moderators
  • 11,860 posts
  • LocationTexas Panhandle

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:13 AM

Three years ago is Classic. I wouldn't have thought so.

Too many bazillion threads in the offseason? Gotta put one of the few with any bit of action where no one looks?

So lame.

Explain how this pertains to the current roster, or the upcoming season. This single play from three years ago, that has been discussed countless times will affect Dak Prescott, Zeke Elliot, TWill, Beasley, Witten, Butler or any one else on the starting Offense in what way? Even Dez has gotten past this single play and wants to let it go. This is Franchise past....not Current.

Been a Dallas fan all my life...will remain a Dallas fan till I die.

#37 jsb357

jsb357

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,745 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:17 AM

The ball never touched the ground. 

I disagree...

#38 cwbyfan88

cwbyfan88

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,154 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:20 AM

It has also been eaten and puked up a thousand times.

And then packed back into a patty and eaten again

#39 jsb357

jsb357

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,745 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:24 AM

the ball facing one way and turning another way to dive to the end zone constituted the kind of "football move" needed to establish possession.

that is a football move but in the case of Dez he was just short of the plane before losing control of the ball...

1.288 inches sort but short none the less

#40 Rogers

Rogers

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 16,526 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:15 AM

The Dez Bryant catch, no catch. The ball never touched the ground. When Dez hits the ground too much of the ball is sticking up for the ball to hit the ground. So He caught it, bobbled it, then caught it again. Touchdown.

People have posted frozen frames of the ball in contact with the ground numerous times on this site.

http://media.culture...-Bay_190837.jpg

that is a football move but in the case of Dez he was just short of the plane before losing control of the ball...

1.288 inches sort but short none the less

That he was short of the end zone isn't the key fact with Dez, it's that they ruled he didn't establish possession before going to the ground. I think the real difference with Beasley' play is the turning and diving to the end zone after having caught the ball facing the other way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users