You are here

Photo

Is Goodell the Villian or Knight in Shining Armor?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 LocalCowboyDiehard

LocalCowboyDiehard

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,812 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:05 PM

He's earned a reputation as a calculated, micromanaging bad-ass, laser focused on molding the NFL into his image.

He also has earned a reputation as an open- minded , emphathetic leader with a good ear,

Goodell ascended to the throne after spending 25 years with the league cutting his teeth under former commissioners Pete Rozelle and Paul Tagliabue.

Goodell has certainly had his hands full from tackling realignment to collective bargaining to TV contracts but his lasting legacy may be his personal conduct policy.

If Goodell can navigate this minefield, if he can protect players and profits without turning the NFL into WWE or the PGA, he will have earned his keep .

He will never be Rozelle but he will have tackled the leagues biggest current challenge with aplomb if he manages to keep the fiery heart in tact while becoming the thinking mans commissioner which would make him the Knight in Shining Armor not a villain.

<p>It's easy to make labels and attach them to people, labels that are derogatory, to lessen the impact of their voice.

#2 charleshaleyfan

charleshaleyfan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:06 PM

you can't be serious

• mrsouthpaw and atlantacowboy like this

#3 Rudy Reindeer

Rudy Reindeer

Landry Hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 74,374 posts
  • LocationNorth Pole

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:08 PM

mXyupD1.gif

• Juggernaut, charleshaleyfan and The Vaquero like this

#4 northerncowboynation

northerncowboynation

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,221 posts
  • LocationChatham, ontario

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:20 PM

He's too conservative for me with his outdated views on marijuana but hey the 32 owners are a pretty conservative bunch. He certainly isn't a hero to me or a villain. I'd like to see someone younger and a little more liberal on some things like marijuana. I guess I'm gonna have to get some cash together and buy a franchise so I have 1 out of 33 votes :)

#5 Rudy Reindeer

Rudy Reindeer

Landry Hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 74,374 posts
  • LocationNorth Pole

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:31 PM

rcibHsP.jpg

As for who I think should replace Goodell, why not an ex-player? I'd like to see someone like Staubach, Peyton Manning, or another such ex-player become commissioner. I think that having a former player as commissioner might be a win-win for all sides. Firstly, it'd be someone who'd actually have been through the grind and pain of playing football, so the commissioner might be more fair to the players. The fans would benefit because the ex-player would have been off the field for a while, so the ex-player might be a little better apt to be able to relate to fans. Finally, I think the owners would respond well to someone like Staubach or Peyton Manning as commissioner. Just an idea I had. 

• Needmorerings likes this

#6 THE OZ OF COWBOY COUNTRY

THE OZ OF COWBOY COUNTRY

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,236 posts
  • LocationBeaumont Texas

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:51 PM

I remember when he took over from Tagliabue. A bunch of the owners really wanted to get someone else. They couldn't find anyone so they settled on him. But it took them a while to make that decision. Cause some owners just didn't want to hire him.

#7 Needmorerings

Needmorerings

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts
  • LocationDeep South

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:00 PM

I vote VILLAN!  Why wait until preseason to dole out punishment?  

#8 Majestic_Joe

Majestic_Joe

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:10 PM

The eclipse is coming on August 21, Goodell is gonna get his, the eclipse is gonna get him!

#9 northerncowboynation

northerncowboynation

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,221 posts
  • LocationChatham, ontario

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:23 PM

Ray Ray Lewis for commish! Right attitude, likes to knock heads, reasonably young, been in trouble. Knows what it's like to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I vote Ray Ray

#10 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 44,822 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:25 PM

He's earned a reputation as a calculated, micromanaging bad-ass, laser focused on molding the NFL into his image.

He also has earned a reputation as an open- minded , emphathetic leader with a good ear,

Goodell ascended to the throne after spending 25 years with the league cutting his teeth under former commissioners Pete Rozelle and Paul Tagliabue.

Goodell has certainly had his hands full from tackling realignment to collective bargaining to TV contracts but his lasting legacy may be his personal conduct policy.

If Goodell can navigate this minefield, if he can protect players and profits without turning the NFL into WWE or the PGA, he will have earned his keep .

He will never be Rozelle but he will have tackled the leagues biggest current challenge with aplomb if he manages to keep the fiery heart in tact while becoming the thinking mans commissioner which would make him the Knight in Shining Armor not a villain.

He is the mouthpiece of the owners.

• Juggernaut and northerncowboynation like this

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#11 Aerolithe_Lion

Aerolithe_Lion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,854 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:39 PM

The commissioner will always be a lawyer or career executive. That's the big part of the job.

#12 Pape

Pape

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:34 PM

Goodell is an *******. Can we say ******* here? I don't care - he is an *******.

The personal Conduct Policy is crap and is totally arbitrary - there is no rhyme or reason to it. And it is the brainchild of Herr Commissioner GInger.

f goodell

NEP, NFL Record 9 Super Bowl appearances, 5 x Super Bowl Champions

xx, xxxi, XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX, xlii, xlvi, XLIX, LI

proud attendee of Super Bowls 36, 38 & 39

#13 Mr. 4.37

Mr. 4.37

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,023 posts
  • Location5th dimension

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:20 AM

Creep.

"We take calculated risk associated with victory" - Mike Tomlin

#14 jsb357

jsb357

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,796 posts
  • LocationWaco, Texas USA

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:19 PM

Goodell reminds me of what Joffrey Baratheon would look like had he grown to the ripe age of 60

#15 Relayer

Relayer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationChristchurch NZ. (Go All Blacks)

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:35 AM

He's terrible. How has he grown the game since he's been there? He reminds me of an accountant who's let the power go to his head.

1509328801-NS_cowbriefs_1030spo_JL_17-wi

The hardest hitter in football. :)

Darrell Royal

I might say this: we’ve always been a running team and I’m sure we will continue to be so. (We’ve been criticized for it, I might add.) But I’ve always felt that three things can happen to you whenever you throw the football, and two of them are bad. You can catch the ball, you can throw it incomplete, or have it intercepted.

#16 Aerolithe_Lion

Aerolithe_Lion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,854 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:29 PM

He's terrible. How has he grown the game since he's been there? He reminds me of an accountant who's let the power go to his head.

Let's see...

League revenue has DOUBLED since Goodell took office. Remember when salary caps were under 100m$? Wasnt actually that long ago.

He has championed an international Squad not only with Toronto, but with Mexico City and most notably London. If a global sport is what brings in the big bucks, then Roger Goodell has been the greatest voice for expanding the NFL beyond our borders in the history of the league. NFL Europe is nothing compared to having a real, active team in Britain.

Roger Goodell has brought real change to our discipline system. What was the worst ban you'd ever heard of for domestic violence before Goodell? It was happening and players were not only getting off easy, but still being rewarded with fat contacts.

Since Goodell, we've had Super Bowls in New York, Indianapolis, and now Minneapolis. We've had the draft in Chicago and Philadelphia. Jacksonville is setting franchise attendance records because Goodell is finally letting them play in a real city once a year.

I'm no Goodell advocate, but to say he's done nothing to expand the NFL is straight ignorance.
  • kskboys likes this

#17 Rogers

Rogers

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,772 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:02 PM

He's neither.  As with most things the answer lies in the middle somewhere.

• kskboys likes this

#18 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 44,822 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:58 AM

He's neither.  As with most things the answer lies in the middle somewhere.

Right on. 

Goodell is a very well paid employee who is being paid to straighten out the game, to reduce the violence, and to improve the image.   He's got a job that is extremely tough, as he takes the heat and the hate the rightly belongs to the owners.   He's acting w/ their blessing.  

So if you hate Goodell, you are acting exactly like they want you to act.   Mission accomplished.  

• fansincenumber9 likes this

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#19 Haimerej

Haimerej

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,622 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:33 AM

Goodell is a social engineer who's choosing the losing side.
  • atlantacowboy likes this

#20 Original fan since 1975

Original fan since 1975

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,141 posts
  • LocationThe Jersey Shore

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:04 PM

I don't think Goodell is a Villian! Nor is he a Knight in Shining armor! He's a guy who gets paid a hell of a lot of money to do a job, so he has to do it. The problem is he's not good at the discipline side of what he does. He's totally biased and unbalanced and having that girl Lisa Mendleson Friel who is a hardcore Giants Fan sitting in the position she sits handing out punishments to NFL players is also wrong. Again I refer to the Giants kicker and that situation.......the Eli Manning situation neither handled properly and Eli's not handled at all. There is no balance but one thing is for sure if you are a main player on the NY Giants you are safe from major discipline! Well, maybe not now....the new precedence has been set they can do nothing less for any player in the NFL now after this sucker punch!

• InTheZone and fansincenumber9 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users