You are here

Photo

Is Goodell the Villian or Knight in Shining Armor?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 InTheZone

InTheZone

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,797 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:53 PM

Goodell is a $(#+-&-#)#($@# tool and troll, regardless of who hired him. All I ever hear about him are excuses and then I think of how much he makes.

#22 Hennessy_King

Hennessy_King

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:33 PM

Villain

#FreeZekiel

#23 cowboyJohn

cowboyJohn

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:19 PM

I think he would be fine with some changes (refinements, alignment with more mature best practices) to internal policies. It's a tough job and he has kept the league profitable at least, while trying to clean up its image and internal problems. Even though he may have flubbed some of the investigations, this is probably a very tough league to police given the past history and the now explosion of information available via social media which shines a bright light on everything. He still has time to make some corrections and keep the league moving in the right direction, but cultural change of the type he is attempting takes time and generally ruffles lots of feathers. 

#24 Star Power

Star Power

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • LocationEast Texas Pineywoods

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:44 PM

He's a richard

50 51 Years Cowboy Fan ... that's all folks! 

#25 LocalCowboyDiehard

LocalCowboyDiehard

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,812 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:30 AM

Wouldn't anyone who has the power to suspend or discipline players be hated by fans?

The Commissioner represents the owners why not hate them? They're the ones who have empowered him.
  • kskboys likes this

<p>It's easy to make labels and attach them to people, labels that are derogatory, to lessen the impact of their voice.

#26 ItzKelz2

ItzKelz2

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,070 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:04 AM

Goodell the Idiot....sounds fitting.

#ClearEyeView "A focused vision setting out on something that you have to be able to see it clear and a determined belief. You have to believe in yourself. You have to have self-belief, belief in God that you can accomplish what he wants you to accomplish. And then earned dreams: how bad do you want it, putting that work in."

DDnDriAUQAAUgNI.jpg

#27 LocalCowboyDiehard

LocalCowboyDiehard

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,812 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:27 AM

The 40 million dollar man

<p>It's easy to make labels and attach them to people, labels that are derogatory, to lessen the impact of their voice.

#28 The Vaquero

The Vaquero

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,447 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:48 PM

mXyupD1.gif

• Rudy Reindeer likes this

"I'd rather play with 10 people ... until we have to do something else, rather than play with 11 when I know that right now that person is not sold out to be a part of this team." - H.O.F. Mike Singletary

#29 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,709 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:19 PM

He's too conservative for me with his outdated views on marijuana but hey the 32 owners are a pretty conservative bunch. He certainly isn't a hero to me or a villain. I'd like to see someone younger and a little more liberal on some things like marijuana. I guess I'm gonna have to get some cash together and buy a franchise so I have 1 out of 33 votes :)

Kinda a sad commentary on society when people even consider weed laws when making critical decisions.

Right on. 

Goodell is a very well paid employee who is being paid to straighten out the game, to reduce the violence, and to improve the image.   He's got a job that is extremely tough, as he takes the heat and the hate the rightly belongs to the owners.   He's acting w/ their blessing.  

So if you hate Goodell, you are acting exactly like they want you to act.   Mission accomplished.  

"Well paid" is the understatement of the year.  Player safety is only one issue.   The political views being expressed on the field.........the random suspensions and arbitrary attempts at "justice" are a sad commentary on the man and the league. 

He's unpopular with players and fans. He gets booed at every public appearence.  There is no way it is the intention of owners to have this kind of adversarial relationship with the 2 groups of people that make them money.

#30 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 44,517 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:52 PM

Kinda a sad commentary on society when people even consider weed laws when making critical decisions.

"Well paid" is the understatement of the year.  Player safety is only one issue.   The political views being expressed on the field.........the random suspensions and arbitrary attempts at "justice" are a sad commentary on the man and the league. 

He's unpopular with players and fans. He gets booed at every public appearence.  There is no way it is the intention of owners to have this kind of adversarial relationship with the 2 groups of people that make them money.

Au Contraire.  (Did I spell that right?)

Goodell is the long term answer for the problems facing the NFL:   Concussions, lawsuits, drug use, criminal activity, Ugly stuff like that.    When a person is hired to do the tough job, he knows coming in that he will be hated.  

To put it bluntly, he was hired to be unpopular.  And have an adversarial relationship.    If you can even call it a relationship.  

I'm actually surprised to see you falling for this ruse, ATL.   You're usually the one calling the guilty ones out for the BS.     I know you want to badly to hate him, and to have a scapegoat for your anger of EZ getting suspended, but you're just not reminding yourself enough of who hired him and who pays him.    And to top it off, a simply vote would easily get him fired.   

Search for all the reasons you want, but at the end of the day, Goodell is simply a tool of the owners.   Doing the job they hired him to do.   And we won't even know if he did a good job until 20 years down the road.     That's why he makes so much.    He's not allowed to tell the truth, to point the finger at the ones responsible.    He's paid not to.    Just clean this mess up, take the heat, and leave the beloved little owners to their fan love and money.   

I may not like some of the facets of what Goodell is attempting, but I can definitely see the reasoning behind his moves.    Will it work?   Good question.    Kinda interesting in a psychological sort of way if one steps back and views the big pic, wouldn't you say? 

• heathgs likes this

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users