5 replies to this topic

#1 chiefrpw

chiefrpw

Novice User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:04 PM

Why is it that no discussion of future Ring of Honor inductees includes Gil Brandt's name? The original success of the Cowboys' franchise was a 3-legged stool built on the coaching of Tom Landry, the management of Tex Schramm, and the talent evaluation of Gil Brandt. Had any of those three not been in on the ground floor, it is highly likely Cowboys history would be quite different. GIl Brandt revolutionized scouting departments in this league just as surely as Schramm and Landry revolutionized their ballywicks. I seem remember a year, around 1970, the Cowboys entered a season without a single player on their roster that had ever played a down on another NFL team. That may be a romanticized memory, but Brandt's impact on this franchise was that pivotal. Gil is still wiith us, and the only reason I can imagine he has not been tapped is that Jerry has a problem of some kind with him. Otherwise, it should be a no brainer.

#2 Cowboy Eric

Cowboy Eric

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:59 PM

agree...I think Canton should be a destination for him also.
  • Beefmaster likes this

#3 northerncowboynation

northerncowboynation

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,040 posts
  • LocationChatham, ontario

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:11 PM

Better increase the diameter of the stadium if you want guys like Brant up there. How about Ernie Stautner?  Kenny Norton? I might start with Everson Walls and work my way down

#4 LocalCowboyDiehard

LocalCowboyDiehard

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:52 PM

agree...I think Canton should be a destination for him also.

I agree.
  • cowboyfan927 likes this
<p>It's easy to make labels and attach them to people, labels that are derogatory, to lessen the impact of their voice.

#5 cowboyfan927

cowboyfan927

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,028 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:04 PM

I agree.

Agreed.

NFLN thinks highly enough of him that he's on the NFL radio network at least a couple of nights a week.

Brandt was indeed a bit part of building the Cowboys into America's team.

I think he and Jerry had some friction when Jerry bought the team but I would guess time heals all wounds.  My expectation is that eventually he'll be in the ring.  I do agree that he should be.

fmj-blanket-party-o.gif

#6 Beefmaster

Beefmaster

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,746 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted Today, 02:21 AM

Put Gil in the RoH and the HOF
Nobody owes you anything life is what you make of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users