131 replies to this topic

#1 Reid1boy

Reid1boy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:48 PM

I grew up watching the great middleweights in the 80s. Those fights were events. Boxing has disaeared for me in the past 20 years. I cant even remember the last time I watched a fight as it was happening. I just havent cared about ANY of them.

Paqiuo Vs Mayweather??? I didnt care, did nt watch.

But this fight tomorrow.... I am not missing this. I dont know what it is, but I am intrigued and am making a point to hit a friends to watch.

So how many of you will be watching this fight. Greg better not say he is.

#2 northerncowboynation

northerncowboynation

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,174 posts
  • LocationChatham, ontario

Posted 25 August 2017 - 04:32 PM

Nope but I'd like to see Connor kick Mayweather's butt

• kskboys likes this

#3 Needmorerings

Needmorerings

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts
  • LocationDeep South

Posted 25 August 2017 - 04:42 PM

If one was wearing a helmet with a star on it, I'd watch.  I have nothing invested in either of these men.

• northerncowboynation likes this

#4 Aerolithe_Lion

Aerolithe_Lion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,835 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:12 PM

I believe Mayweather may be the best Junior Lightweight boxer in history.

For someone who, while his main profession is very similar, is NOT an accomplished boxer to challenge him, I genuinely think Connor will be humiliated in front of a world audience Saturday night.

• kskboys and Needmorerings like this

#5 cowboyfan927

cowboyfan927

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,351 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:15 PM

Couldn't care less personally.

Never been much of a boxing or MMA fan.

dak-tweets.jpg?w=1000

Let's follow Dak's advice.

#NoExcuses

#stoptakingupforhim  

#6 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 44,554 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:50 PM

I'd prolly watch for pure entertainment's sake if it wasn't PPV.  Since it is, I'll just wait to hear about how MayW embarrassed McG.   This will  not be a fight.   

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#7 MistyAnn

MistyAnn

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationGalway Bay

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:01 PM

I grew up watching the great middleweights in the 80s. Those fights were events. Boxing has disaeared for me in the past 20 years. I cant even remember the last time I watched a fight as it was happening. I just havent cared about ANY of them.

Paqiuo Vs Mayweather??? I didnt care, did nt watch.

But this fight tomorrow.... I am not missing this. I dont know what it is, but I am intrigued and am making a point to hit a friends to watch.

So how many of you will be watching this fight. Greg better not say he is.

Watch out for Canelo as well, he's a great middleweight with loads of power puching, I think he is the man in boxing at the moment. Sure would like to see this fight as well though.

I

Love

Dallas

#8 Needmorerings

Needmorerings

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts
  • LocationDeep South

Posted 26 August 2017 - 02:22 AM

I believe Mayweather may be the best Junior Lightweight boxer in history.

For someone who, while his main profession is very similar, is NOT an accomplished boxer to challenge him, I genuinely think Connor will be humiliated in front of a world audience Saturday night.

I think you're right.  I hope the guy gets pulled from the fight before he sustains life threatening injuries.

• kskboys likes this

#9 Reid1boy

Reid1boy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 03:27 AM

I think you're right.  I hope the guy gets pulled from the fight before he sustains life threatening injuries.

i chuckle at this stuff. The man is a professional fighter..... some of you make it like he is a teen going in the ring with George Foreman.

#10 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 44,554 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 04:29 AM

i chuckle at this stuff. The man is a professional fighter..... some of you make it like he is a teen going in the ring with George Foreman.

You shouldn't.  MayW is a pro boxer, McG is not.    And they are boxing.   If they were fighting McG's style, McG might hurt MayW.

On the evening Cowherd show w/ Jason Whitlock, one of them made a good parallel.   This would be the equivalent of matching the top tennis player in the world against the top pingpong player in the world.    Whomever won would be dependent on which sport they were playing.   I thought that was a good parallel.

• nyc-cowboy likes this

My doctor told me to start killing people.   Well, not  in those exact words.   He said I had to reduce the stress in my life.    Same thing, really. 

#11 nyc-cowboy

nyc-cowboy

• Moderators
  • 5,288 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 26 August 2017 - 01:38 PM

If MayW wanted - he could take him out in a NY minute....

I'm figuring he'll carry McG for a few. 

Its crazy people are really paying money for this.  

• kskboys likes this

4441526995_3fc4a45b63.jpg

#12 Reid1boy

Reid1boy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 03:33 PM

You shouldn't.  MayW is a pro boxer, McG is not.    And they are boxing.   If they were fighting McG's style, McG might hurt MayW.

On the evening Cowherd show w/ Jason Whitlock, one of them made a good parallel.   This would be the equivalent of matching the top tennis player in the world against the top pingpong player in the world.    Whomever won would be dependent on which sport they were playing.   I thought that was a good parallel.

except one punch could land and put mayweather night night. The tennis player playing the ping pong player couldnt end it in one strike of the ball. I dont predict this stuff, because those people that talk like they know what they are talking about, always have Buster Douglass to show them they dont know jack squat, or the Giants beating the undefeated Pats in the SB, or Rocky knocking out the Russian:)  Everytime you hear how someone has zero chance of doing something, BAM, it happens  and all the "Experts," go running for cover.

#13 Reid1boy

Reid1boy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 03:39 PM

If MayW wanted - he could take him out in a NY minute....

I'm figuring he'll carry McG for a few. 

Its crazy people are really paying money for this.  

simple.... it is a huge event. Call it what you want, when was the last time a weigh in was shown live? When was the last time a fight had this much media lead up? Every damn sports show was talking about it, Vegas hotel prices arethrough the roof, people want to be entertained, and McGregor puts on a show.

I personally cant wait. If Money knocks him out and dominates as all the "Experts," say he will, then I will learn a valuable lesson about the true skill of a great boxer...... but if McGregor bullies him and hurts him..... what a night it will be.

Buster Douglas knocking Tyson out is probably the most memorable sporting event in my life. Because Douglas was McGregor.... he was a 42-1 longshot, which is a bigger under dog than Connor is...... and we all know what happened.

Thats what makes sports so awesome....... the unexpected.

#14 .G2.

.G2.

Ring of Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,941 posts
  • LocationPJG Investigation Unit

Posted 26 August 2017 - 04:19 PM

Mayweather is a world class boxer. There's no way McGregor can out box him, it's silly. Floyd's last 9 fights were title bouts. He's never lost. This isn't MMA, McGregor will be lucky to land any punches that will do anything. Mayweather is one of the most defensive and elusive boxers in history.

While some say boxing has disappeared, there are still some very great fighters around and Mayweather is one of them.

• kskboys likes this

#15 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 44,554 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 04:47 PM

except one punch could land and put mayweather night night. The tennis player playing the ping pong player couldnt end it in one strike of the ball. I dont predict this stuff, because those people that talk like they know what they are talking about, always have Buster Douglass to show them they dont know jack squat, or the Giants beating the undefeated Pats in the SB, or Rocky knocking out the Russian:)  Everytime you hear how someone has zero chance of doing something, BAM, it happens  and all the "Experts," go running for cover.

You're still using comparisons that aren't accurate.

Giants were a pro team playing the same sport in the same league. 

Buster Douglas was a pro boxer.  

Ummmmmmmmmm.....Rocky was a movie.  

They could start this fight by MayW letting McG hit him in the face, and it still wouldn't matter.

This is nothing but Barnum and Bailey.    It's an exhibition, not a fight.    This is more like pro wrestling than boxing.  

Reminds me of when the 4 horsemen of Notre Dame and their team played a pro team.    They got waxed.    Badly.  

#16 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 44,554 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 04:49 PM

simple.... it is a huge event. Call it what you want, when was the last time a weigh in was shown live? When was the last time a fight had this much media lead up? Every damn sports show was talking about it, Vegas hotel prices arethrough the roof, people want to be entertained, and McGregor puts on a show.

I personally cant wait. If Money knocks him out and dominates as all the "Experts," say he will, then I will learn a valuable lesson about the true skill of a great boxer...... but if McGregor bullies him and hurts him..... what a night it will be.

Buster Douglas knocking Tyson out is probably the most memorable sporting event in my life. Because Douglas was McGregor.... he was a 42-1 longshot, which is a bigger under dog than Connor is...... and we all know what happened.

Thats what makes sports so awesome....... the unexpected.

Since MayW isn't a knockout type of boxer, he prolly won't knock him out.   I'm afraid MayW might hurt him, though.   

Douglas was a pro boxer.    McG is not.

Go find a copy of the movie "The Great White Hype" and watch it.     That is how this boxing match will go.

#17 atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy

Pro-Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,727 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:42 PM

I'm going to watch,  though I hate Mayweather,  MacGregor is a highly entertaining fighter.  He doesn't have boring fights.  He might not win,  but he's going to make Mayweather fight.   

#18 heathgs

heathgs

Landry Hat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,789 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:25 PM

I am planning on watching it.  If the weather holds out in San Antonio I will be headed to a party.  If not and I still have power and/or internet service, I will stream it through my ABox for free.  I don't expect a good fight, but it is an "event" so I'll watch.  I will not pay for it though.

#19 kskboys

kskboys

• Moderators
  • 44,554 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:33 PM

I am planning on watching it.  If the weather holds out in San Antonio I will be headed to a party.  If not and I still have power and/or internet service, I will stream it through my ABox for free.  I don't expect a good fight, but it is an "event" so I'll watch.  I will not pay for it though.

I admit, I'd watch it if it was free.    I wouldn't pay, but I would watch.     Train wreck sort of fascinating.

#20 MistyAnn

MistyAnn

Professional Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationGalway Bay

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:40 PM

McGregor is only a 4-1 longshot, so it seems he is being given a good enough chance by the guys who know best $$$$.

Rocky was about the same odds against Ivan Drago.

I

Love

Dallas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users